GalacticaBBS: G1980's influence on NuBSG - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

G1980's influence on NuBSG Coincidental or Intentional?

#1 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 March 2012 - 11:11 AM

Even though G1980 is generally loathed by many BSG fans (old and new), it's still possible (IMO, anyway) that some elements of G1980 (aka the "Star Wars Holiday Special" of BSG) might've survived into it's generally awesome (and critically praised) younger progeny. Even the SW Holiday Special yielded the first appearance of Boba Fett, right? So, it got me wondering: what elements (if any) of G1980 survived into NuBSG, or as Doc Brown in "Back to the Future" might say, "Or it could just be an incredible coincidence..."

I present some (perhaps paltry) evidence: You decide... :P :D

Posted ImagePosted Image

G1980 yielded the first 'humanoid' Cylon models (even though they were wires and circuits inside; unlike NuBSG's skinjobs). Even these 'flight suits' (the ones worn by the Sixes and Eights in the photo) bear a fleeting resemblance to G1980's 'Andromus' outfit ...

Posted ImagePosted Image

G1980's "The Return of Starbuck" and NuBSG's "You Can't Go Home Again." "YCGHA" is almost a straight remake of "TRoS". In both cases Starbuck (male/female) are stranded on a desolate world and forced to use Cylon technology (and cooperation) for survival. It's interesting that TRoS was originally intended as a TOS BSG episode, and the conclusion originally was to have Starbuck rejoining the rag-tag fleet, just as Kara did.

Posted ImagePosted Image

Both have 'angels' (divine beings who either subtly or not, influence our characters' choices). "Angela" in G1980 convinces Starbuck to surrender his selfish ways for a greater good (her kid, who becomes Doctor Zee), and the 'head' versions of Six and Baltar; who influence Gaius' and Six's actions throughout the course of the show. So, both shows have a firm belief in 'angels' and a God (even though it doesn't like to be called by that name....)
:P

And of course; BOTH shows also lead to 'present day' Earth: G1980 was 'present day' (albeit 30 years ago, anyway) and in NuBSG we see mitochondrial Eve (Hera) and the surviving colonials eventually integrating with earth people (or Earth version 2.0 people, if you're a true NuBSG fan) leading to the '150,000 Years Later' segue into our present (2009, anyway). So, in both cases? The colonials make it (in one form or another) into our 'present' day.

Anyway, just food for thought (or junk food). What do YOU think?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:20 PM

I was wondering when someone was going to notice the similarities between the two!
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#3 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 25 March 2012 - 07:46 PM

View PostAphrodite, on 25 March 2012 - 07:20 PM, said:

I was wondering when someone was going to notice the similarities between the two!

I've been contemplating doing this thread for awhile; glad I'm not alone on this one... ;)

Both also introduced the idea of a 'special' larger Cylon fighter (G1980's AB fighter, and NuBSG's heavy raider)....

Posted ImagePosted Image

I'm sure there are more, but one has to wonder were these influences intentional or just coincidence? Ron Moore and David Eick don't strike me as the types who'd peruse G1980 for research. But IMO, "The Return of Starbuck" was clearly an influence on "You Can't Go Home Again"...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 March 2012 - 06:44 PM

The need for farming on Earth is also mentioned in both series.

G1980 had an episode called "Space Croppers" that mentions the need to settle an agricultural community on Earth by having "Super Scouts" help out on the Alonzo farm (they do this by jumping high, dropping seeds, singing a goofy song and allowing the Dr. Zee 'mothership' to make rain). In NuBSG's "Daybreak", Baltar surveys a field he thinks would be ideal for growth, and the mention of his 'farmboy' past causes him to break down (probably because of the regrettable past between he and his late father). Bill Adama also makes mention of the richness of the continent (Africa; possibly in or near Tazania; where Hera eventually becomes humanity's 'mitochondrial Eve') and the affluence of wild game; more so than all 12 colonies combined.

Both "Space Croppers" and "Daybreak" deal with plans to slowly introduce Colonials into the native Earth human population; G1980 went for the cautious approach, while NuBSG decided to 'burn the ships' and call the new planet home right away. G1980's "Super Scouts" & "Space Croppers" and NuBSG's "Daybreak" also have children as the means by which to introduce Colonials into earth's population. The super scouts represent the very first 'settlers' from the rag-tag fleet to try to make a go of it on 1980 Earth, while Hera is (apparently) the first colonial to (eventually) interbreed with primitive humans of 150,000 years ago (as her progeny's DNA is the first to combine both earth human stock and 'colonial/Cylon' hybrid DNA). True in both series, children represent the future of the colonials survival....

Posted ImagePosted Image

These comparisons are no doubt coincidental, but it does illustrate how the two (radically different) series had some similar ideas. ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 27 March 2012 - 11:55 PM

Wow! You made a lot of connections between 1980 and the New BSG series. I am sure that Ron Moore, whether or not he wants to admit it, probably did his research on the series and then built on it. There are too many similarities for it to be creative coincidence. I bet Ron watched some the episodes when he was younger, just like us! LOL. But good for you for making all those connections. Well, I am on the verge of buying season 1. All I need is about $50 bucks and I am one happy camper. I miss Katee. :crybaby:
Posted Image

Second to None!

#6 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 07:50 PM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 27 March 2012 - 11:55 PM, said:

Wow! You made a lot of connections between 1980 and the New BSG series. I am sure that Ron Moore, whether or not he wants to admit it, probably did his research on the series and then built on it. There are too many similarities for it to be creative coincidence. I bet Ron watched some the episodes when he was younger, just like us! LOL. But good for you for making all those connections. Well, I am on the verge of buying season 1. All I need is about $50 bucks and I am one happy camper. I miss Katee. :crybaby:

I was lucky when it came to buying G1980; I got it for free on Christmas in 2007.... :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 08:58 PM

Ron Moore will never admit he got inspiration from G80. Actually, I don't think anyone would admit that....hahahaha!

All joking aside, it is very coincidental that a lot of New BG has a lot of similarities to G80.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#8 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:08 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 29 March 2012 - 07:50 PM, said:

I was lucky when it came to buying G1980; I got it for free on Christmas in 2007.... :P

Lucky you! You certainly got what it was worth. LOL
Posted Image

Second to None!

#9 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:27 PM

View PostAphrodite, on 29 March 2012 - 08:58 PM, said:

Ron Moore will never admit he got inspiration from G80. Actually, I don't think anyone would admit that....hahahaha!

All joking aside, it is very coincidental that a lot of New BG has a lot of similarities to G80.

Even a broken clock is still right twice a day... :P

Lucky you! You certainly got what it was worth. LOL

Actually, it's yielded a LOT of laughs; it's one of my favorite unintentional comedies... :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 29 March 2012 - 09:29 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 29 March 2012 - 09:27 PM, said:

Even a broken clock is still right twice a day... :P

Actually, it's yielded a LOT of laughs; it's one of my favorite unintentional comedies... :D

What a colourful euphemism! I must remember that one, "unintentional comedies" Doh!
Posted Image

Second to None!

#11 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:21 AM

Wouldn't it be cool to ask RM straight out... ;)
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 30 March 2012 - 08:45 AM

View Postmaneth, on 30 March 2012 - 08:21 AM, said:

Wouldn't it be cool to ask RM straight out... ;)

I don't know if he'd be forthcoming about it, though. In his DVD audio commentary he denied that "Hand of God" had anything to do with TOS' "Hand of God"; claiming that both the plot and the title were merely "coincidental." NuBSG's "Hand of God" is (at least in outline) a remake of the TOS version. In both cases, the Colonials discover a swarm of Cylons but avoid being detected; and in both cases, use the element of surprise to launch a devastating counter-attack against them. Both have the 'tired of running' theme to them as well; with Adama making the strongest case for turning and fighting. Both episodes also used their own Baltar's knowledge of Cylons as the linchpin for the success of the mission(s). Yet Moore INSISTS that "Hand of God" (nu) is not a remake... yeah, right! I think RDM is just trying to sound as though all of it just sprang from his head (more or less), and that TOS (let alone G1980) has any influence on him at all.

Sorry, but this ol' toaster doesn't buy it. Even the worst movies and TV shows can yield good ideas. IMO, there's no shame in admitting that. :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:39 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 30 March 2012 - 08:45 AM, said:

Sorry, but this ol' toaster doesn't buy it. Even the worst movies and TV shows can yield good ideas. IMO, there's no shame in admitting that. :cylonclap:

Once again, you have crystalized my thoughts exactly. Well done old chum. Well done.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#14 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 05:30 PM

Now the question is, who is Doctor Zee?
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#15 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 03 May 2012 - 06:00 PM

View PostAphrodite, on 03 May 2012 - 05:30 PM, said:

Now the question is, who is Doctor Zee?

Care to speculate, Aphrodite? ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.