GalacticaBBS: WonderCon 2012: ‘Battlestar Galactica’ and the science of fiction - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

WonderCon 2012: ‘Battlestar Galactica’ and the science of fiction

#1 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• Co-Owner of Galatica.com/Galacticabbs.com - Callsign Tomcat
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Owners
  • Interests:Battlestar Galactica

Posted 18 March 2012 - 01:16 AM

WonderCon 2012: ‘Battlestar Galactica’ and the science of fiction

March 17, 2012 | 12:20 p.m.

The acclaimed SyFy show “Battlestar Galactica” aired its final episode nearly two years ago but the deep-space (and deep-thinking) epic was still echoing at WonderCon, the pop-culture expo that opened Friday in Anaheim.

The first day of the convention featured two Q&A sessions devoted to the show, one with Richard Hatch, who acted in both the original 1978 series and the re-imagined SyFy series that launched in 2004. The other panel featured Kevin Grazier, the scientific advisor for the more recent show.

Grazier, who worked for a time at NASA’s Jet Propulsion Laboratory, got a foothold in the entertainment business when he co-wrote a ”Star Trek: Voyager” spec script that got him in the pitch process at Paramount. That led to a meeting with “Battlestar” co-creator Ron Moore and, eventually, a gig as scientific advisor. More recently, he’s been a hired brain for Alfonso Cuarón’s upcoming film, “Gravity,” which stars George Clooney and Sandra Bullock, and also counseled the writers of “Eureka” and “Falling Skies.”

For his talk, Grazier, no surprise, brought charts and graphs in a PowerPoint slide show that put the science in fiction. He also got an unexpected visual aide; playing the part of a know-it-all fan, Hatch — wearing a red puffy vest, black beanie and sunglasses — stepped out of the audience to shout accusations about Cylon biology. An extended (and scripted) argument followed, which Grazier revealed to be a passage from his book, “The Science of Battlestar Galactica.”

Grazier said science led to plot ideas at some points in the show. Grazier said his off-hand comment about planets’ first life forms led to two episodes, “Rapture” and “The Eye of Jupiter.” And when he designed the star system for the Twelve Colonies (a quaternary one with four stars to support life for 12 planets), writer Jane Espenson suggested that Caprica and Gemenon be in mutual orbit. “She put the Las Vegas planet in mutual orbit with the Salt Lake City planet,” Grazier said. “So there’s using science to create drama.”

At the end of his talk, Grazier screened a trailer for the upcoming “Battlestar Galactica: Blood and Chrome,” a two-hour television film which is set in the 10th year of the First Cylon War. Edited at rapid-cutting pace to Trent Reznor and Karen O’s cover of “Immigrant Song” for “The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo” – which was actually quite fitting with images of ice-covered planets and (space)ships – the trailer ended with title cards flashing the words “It’s time for a SyFy game-changer.”

– Emily Rome

herocomplex.latimes.com
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 18 March 2012 - 10:04 AM

(OT, clutching his Grazier-autographed copy of "The Science of Battlestar Galactica") :clap:

When I met him at Comic Con last year, he was wearing a 5th Doctor outfit (from "Doctor Who"; the Peter Davison incarnation). He is hardcore geeky-cool.
I used to read his blog at Battlestar Galactica.com (back in my 'lurking days' online; before I hung my hat and coat permanently at GBBS; my cyber-"Cheers").

Posted Image << One of my own photos of him from the BSG panel at CC

I can say, with a fair amount of confidence, he is definitely "one of us!" :lol:

I wish I could've afforded "Wonder Con" (it's only about 30 minutes from me, too), but Mrs T and I are saving for San Diego Comic Con (which has pretty much become our annual BIG summer vacation site now...). We still go to one or two smaller cons (Mrs T loves anime), but on the whole, we just save for 'the big one' now.
However, Wonder Con looked like a lot of fun.
Someday... :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2013 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones

Posted 20 March 2012 - 03:59 PM

A Syfy game changer huh. Pins and needles over this :nonono: I've concluded this needs to be a pilot run off without a series being picked up. Now back to the WD threads..
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 20 March 2012 - 08:13 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 20 March 2012 - 03:59 PM, said:

A Syfy game changer huh. Pins and needles over this :nonono: I've concluded this needs to be a pilot run off without a series being picked up. Now back to the WD threads..

That's my take as well. Just screen the bloody pilot; don't worry about commissioning a series... let the ratings/fan reactions decide that.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.