GalacticaBBS: Lucy Liu cast as Watson in US Sherlock - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Lucy Liu cast as Watson in US Sherlock

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:29 AM

In a decision that is bound to cause ructions, actress Lucy Liu has been cast as Watson in Elementary, the US nod to Sherlock.

In a move that's bound to astound some, Lucy Liu has been cast as Sherlock's sidekick Watson in a US version of Sherlock Holmes, entitled Elementary.

It's the first time the role will be played by a woman.

US network CBS upset the BBC and producers behind Sherlock when they announced plans for what is essentially a remake of the popular UK series. In the American incarnation, a modern-day Sherlock Holmes is living in New York City.

Sherlock Holmes will be played by British actor Jonny Lee Miller, best known for the movie Trainspotting and his high-profile role in the fifth season of serial-killer drama, Dexter.

The casting of Lucy Liu is a surprising move, and should definitely differentiate the two Sherlock projects somewhat.

In addition, it will inevitably signal a change in the famous dynamic between the two crime-solvers; instead of the bromance between Benedict Cumberbatch's Sherlock and Martin Freeman's Watson, the American vehicle may trade on a suggestion of romance.

Charlie's Angels actress Lucy Liu is currently appearing in gritty cop drama Southland, which recently aired on More4. Now that she's signed up for Elementary as Watson, she will emulate the likes of Jude Law, Martin Freeman, Sir Ben Kingsley and Dudley Moore - who have all played the role.

Source: MSN

#2 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 28 February 2012 - 09:31 AM

I knew there would be some twist to complete screw the whole thing up. I was interested to see this when I first heard about it, now I'm not so excited.

Because BSG was so big the cast could get away with swapping genders but this is just wrong. If they want to do something like this then why use Sherlock Holmes. Sounds like they are going follow a formula which is going to crash and burn.

#3 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:01 AM

I don't have too much of an issue with Lucy Liu (I liked her in "Kill Bill"), but this REALLY reeks of 'bad idea.' The all-too-obvious BSG ripoff/gender swap won't work here. First, John Watson is a man troubled by battlefield experiences in the Anglo/Afghan war (in the BBC version, it's now simply the modern Afghan war; convenient!); even if they make Liu a combat veteran, I doubt her ability to play it believably (she's too much of a glamorpuss). Liu is a limited actress. I've never seen her do a role that was uniquely hers, and I'd hate to add Watson to the pile.

I think I'm probably going to see the pilot, at least. Just as I suffered through the first Robert Downey Jr abomination, I might at least watch the first one. But it sounds like they're trying WAY too hard to be hip and post-modern (I smell the sweat from here). And besides, the new BBC version got the modern adaptation of Sherlock Holmes SO RIGHT. Holmes is intrinsically British; like James Bond or Doctor Who (well, Time Lord really, but still British in concept, character and accent). Americanizing him, and making Watson a sexy Asian-American actress? I think that's a BIT too far for Holmes purists (like myself) to accept. And if they're hoping to add a sexual tension to the duo? Ala "Moonlighting?" It further adds to the bulls**t stereotype that men and women can't simply be friends or colleagues (a myth I've personally dispelled MANY times in my own life; as 2/3rds of my friends are women, as are many ex-bosses).

I could accept a modern adaptation as the stories are more or less timeless (they weren't originally written as period pieces; that's simply the era in which they were created), but 221 B Baker Street, Inspector Lestrade, Mrs Hudson, the foggy London streets at night and all the other trappings are all so.... British! That's part of their charm.

I say leave it so. ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:18 AM

I have no issue's with Lucy Liu as an actress but I think the whole idea in general stinks. It sounds to me like a cash grab shock idea for the Network instead of well thoughtout plan. I stand by my comment that if they are going to have a male/female detective sotry that will of course turn to romance then don't use Sherlock Holmes.

#5 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 10:53 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 28 February 2012 - 10:18 AM, said:

I have no issue's with Lucy Liu as an actress but I think the whole idea in general stinks. It sounds to me like a cash grab shock idea for the Network instead of well thoughtout plan. I stand by my comment that if they are going to have a male/female detective sotry that will of course turn to romance then don't use Sherlock Holmes.

Agreed.
There's enough slash fic between the characters already (just as males). :lol:
But seriously; this just reeks of bad idea no matter how they slice it. If it becomes romantic, then it's not really Holmes, it's Moonlighting. And if you're casting a glamourous actress like Liu and plan NOT to have any sexual tension, then the character could've just as easily had been male (as he's been for well over a century). This decision paints the potential of the series into a corner....

And I just read that this new version is being written by the guy (Robert Doherty) who wrote the brain-dead, New-Agey Patricia Arquette series, "Medium." I watched one of those and my eyes and ears howled in protest, it was so stupid. It was such by-the-numbers, mystical, mumbo-jumbo (i.e. "Ghost Whisperer"; a show so bad that not even Jennifer Love Hewitt's twins could save it) that I felt like my brain was drowning in mediocrity (maybe a change in the title of the show to "Mediocre"? :P ). IMO? That pretty much seals it for me. As dave would say, this will "suck out loud."
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 28 February 2012 - 11:08 AM

I don't want to bash a show before I've seen it, I like to give shows a chance to fly but this just has a huge bolder strapped to its legs.

I have no real issues with Sherlock Holmes relocating to New York or even the guy playing him. I'm ust scared that they are going to throw out some garbage and hope it sell's because it's modern like Sherlock.

For me Sherlock works because it's only 3 episodes per season. They don't churn it out and make 20 episodes per year but take their time to make sure its right.

#7 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 28 February 2012 - 07:36 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 28 February 2012 - 11:08 AM, said:

I don't want to bash a show before I've seen it, I like to give shows a chance to fly but this just has a huge bolder strapped to its legs.

I have no real issues with Sherlock Holmes relocating to New York or even the guy playing him. I'm ust scared that they are going to throw out some garbage and hope it sell's because it's modern like Sherlock.

For me Sherlock works because it's only 3 episodes per season. They don't churn it out and make 20 episodes per year but take their time to make sure its right.

Exactly.

They only do 3 a year because they're adapting the original Sir Arthur Conan Doyle books; these are like mini-movies more than just TV episodes. If they made 20 a year, it'd become every other show on TV. That's why I'm of the mind that less is more, overall. I don't like the long half-season breaks (I'll admit; they're patience-taxers), but I do think shorter seasons (or series) ultimately yield a higher standard of final product.

And yes, it looks like the producers of this version might've been inspired by the BBC version, and are trying to top it in the post-modernizing. There is a danger of overdoing it, and ultimately making the final product unrecognizable. These 'stones' are so heavy, I'm afraid it'll drown. They're already going to turn off Sherlock purists, fans of the BBC series, and (by setting it in modern era, in America and with a female Watson) they even risk turning off fans of the recent movies.
What audience are they aiming for anyway?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 01 March 2012 - 11:24 AM

Even as someone with little interest in Sherlock Holmes, this news makes me throw up in my mouth a little...

#9 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 01 March 2012 - 04:33 PM

View Postensign edwards, on 01 March 2012 - 11:24 AM, said:

Even as someone with little interest in Sherlock Holmes, this news makes me throw up in my mouth a little...

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 02 March 2012 - 11:35 AM

Hey I've got an idea. Why don't we re-make Batman as a woman, call her Brenda Wayne. She could be traumertised by a bad shopping experience she had once and now is on a quest to clean up the malls. Of course it's modern and hip and appealling to a slightly different demographic but I'm sure it'll be a winner.

#11 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 02 March 2012 - 01:21 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 02 March 2012 - 11:35 AM, said:

Hey I've got an idea. Why don't we re-make Batman as a woman, call her Brenda Wayne. She could be traumertised by a bad shopping experience she had once and now is on a quest to clean up the malls. Of course it's modern and hip and appealling to a slightly different demographic but I'm sure it'll be a winner.

Or how about Spider-Girl? Change her name to Penelope Parker? Cast say... that girl from Twilight? Yeah, teen angst is her thing....

Or maybe we could do James Bond as a fat, white American guy? How about Kevin James? It could be a funny spy-caper franchise for the kids...

Hey! I got it!
How about doing Tarzan the ape boy? Is Justin Bieber up for it? Has his voice changed yet? No? Good... :lol:

Starbuck's gender-swap on NuBSG was a gamble; it paid off. Largely because TOS BSG was relatively obscure (Starbuck was not as well-known as John Watson) and TOS had much room for improvement (not to mention all the erotic tension between TOS Starbuck and Apollo anyway; see "Lost Planet of the Gods" part 1 again, if you don't believe me...) :P
But Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's Sherlock Holmes? Not really a whole lot he got wrong with those really.... :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.