• 3 Pages +

Robocop

#1 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:2014 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad

Posted 26 February 2012 - 09:39 AM

This could be good. He is exceptional in The Killing.

Posted Image

Los ngeles: Swedish actor Joel Kinnaman, who also starred in `The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo`, is in talks to play the titular character in `RoboCop` remake.

Before Kinnaman`s name emerged as the new frontliner, it was long-rumoured that actor Michael Fassbender was eyed to star as the cyborg police, reported Ace Showbiz.

"RoboCop" was first introduced to Hollywood by director Paul Verhoeven in 1987. The story follows a cop who is brought back from the brink of death in the form of a cyborg with no memories of his prior life. The upcoming reboot will be written by Josh Zetumer.

Director Jose Padilha said that he will include plenty of aggressive satire in the forthcoming movie.

"The satire element of `RoboCop` is, I think, needed today.

That kind of social, aggressive satire I haven`t seen done well in movies lately," said the Brazilian filmmaker.

"And it`s almost like the politics and violence in the world is asking for this: `Someone please make some satire now!` So we`re going to keep that edge," he added.

Joel Kinnman Robocop
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:11 AM

Normally, I'd be DEAD-SET against this, but the fact that the remaker acknowledges that the first film was SATIRE, and not just another mindless action movie? That gives me hope. I figure; they're going to remake it anyway. At least they're remaking it in the right spirit.

And I like the fact that they're hiring a relative unknown. Hope he has the voice for it, though. Robocop has to have a commanding voice since much of his face is blocked from view. Whatever remains has to be that much more expressive...

I'll give it a try. The Robocop franchise was one of those good ideas that went to seed after the crappy sequels and lame, cheaply-made TV series that followed. The problem with those attempts was that they forgot the dark, gallows humor of the original and just remembered the action. If this remake remembers the humor (as well as the pathos of a man whose life is stolen from him)? It could be something interesting...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:17 AM

Some of the worst sequels ever.

I don't know. It is probably a 50/50. I'm interested in Joel K reprising the role. I don't know if he can pull it off. He pulls off the cop in need of a shower in the killing pretty good :P Guess we will see.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:54 AM

View Postdsgtdave, on 26 February 2012 - 10:17 AM, said:

Some of the worst sequels ever.

I don't know. It is probably a 50/50. I'm interested in Joel K reprising the role. I don't know if he can pull it off. He pulls off the cop in need of a shower in the killing pretty good :P Guess we will see.

In Robocop, he'd be in need of a lube job and oil change.... :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 26 February 2012 - 01:00 PM

That is the thing we remakes right? We know Peter Weller as Robocop. Could there really be another actor to fill that role? In some respect I am envious of the kids and the younger generation who didn't get all the original actors to compare with.

Then again I think it is a good thing. A good measuring stick.
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 26 February 2012 - 01:00 PM, said:

That is the thing we remakes right? We know Peter Weller as Robocop. Could there really be another actor to fill that role? In some respect I am envious of the kids and the younger generation who didn't get all the original actors to compare with.

Then again I think it is a good thing. A good measuring stick.

I wonder who's playing the villain in this one.

Kurtwood Smith ("Clarence Boddicker") was one of the most wonderfully psychotic villains of the last thirty years! He also had THE best lines in the whole movie...

Posted Image

"I'm here to see Dick Jones. But afterward, I got some free time. Maybe you could... fit me in?"

"I don't believe it!! You--YOU BURNT THE F**KING MONEY!
It's as good as marked now you a$$h@le, you STUPID, STUPID A$$H@LE~!!"

"Take a look at my FACE.... Dick!"

"B!tches leave."

"I don't wanna f**k with you Sal. But I got the connections. I got the sales organization. I've got the muscle to shove this (cocaine) factory so far up your stupid w@p @$$, you'll s**t snow for a year..."

"Oooh, guns, guns, GUNS! Come on, Sal! Tigers are playin... to-night! Never miss a game..."

So help me, he was like the American cousin to Clockwork Orange's Alex.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:44 PM

better question is why arent u watching the killing?
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   viper73 Icon

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • Interests:huge sci fi and history geek!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 08:45 PM

So we are doing ROBIOCOP again?? it looks cool and i must say i agree about Kurtwood smith.. But you did forget one of his best lines ever... in that 70s show.."your a dumbass"

#9 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 26 February 2012 - 11:13 PM

Wow! Part man. Part machine. All cop! Robocop! I would buy that for a dollar. I mean I would pay real money to go see it. Perhaps at a drive-in, cruising through in my new 6000 SUX! Three things to remember about robocop: serve the public trust, protect the innocent, and uphold the law. Awesome! I think this could be potentially a great movie...provided that it is done with the right kind of care and unapologetic, in-your-face action that is not mindless as Toaster said. It is moving the story along the path of the dark side of the law and corporate greed. I never really saw it as a satire, but it does have a powerful message about how corporations own the police, crime is decaying our society and if we need someone to clean up a town it is one good cop - Robocop.

Go Robocop!
Posted Image

Second to None!

#10 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:26 AM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 26 February 2012 - 11:13 PM, said:

Wow! Part man. Part machine. All cop! Robocop! I would buy that for a dollar. I mean I would pay real money to go see it. Perhaps at a drive-in, cruising through in my new 6000 SUX!

"I want something with reclining leather seats, that goes really fast, and gets REALLY s**tty gas mileage.
What about cruise control? Does it have cruise control?"

-City Councilman Ron Miller; holding the council and mayor hostage, negotiates the terms of their release. Hysterical.... :lol:

ROBOCOP is the third most quotable action movie next to JAWS and DIE HARD. :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:05 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 27 February 2012 - 12:26 AM, said:

"I want something with reclining leather seats, that goes really fast, and gets REALLY s**tty gas mileage.
What about cruise control? Does it have cruise control?"

-City Councilman Ron Miller; holding the council and mayor hostage, negotiates the terms of their release. Hysterical.... :lol:

ROBOCOP is the third most quotable action movie next to JAWS and DIE HARD. :thumbup:

Dead or alive, you're coming with me. - Robocop.

Actually I thought Aliens would be in the top three for most quotable action movie, but I agree with Jaws and Die Hard. Come out to the coast, have a few laughs! - John McClane

Back on topic...

I think it will be the bomb if it is done right.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#12 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:18 AM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 27 February 2012 - 01:05 AM, said:

I think it will be the bomb if it is done right.

Or it will be a bomb if done wrong.... :P

It'd be really COOL if original Robocop actor Peter Weller could play OCP vice-president (and resident bad guy) Dick Jones. :cylonclap:
After seeing him on "Enterprise" (Terra Prime) playing the evil, racist mogul Paxton or the trashy sleazy ex-cop on "Dexter"? He could play the S**T out of that role. He could even top Ronny Cox...

Posted Image << Ronny Cox's Dick Jones
Posted Image << Peter Weller; he'd be great in the role, IMO...

A Tale of Two Dicks.....er, I mean, A Tale of Two Joneses--er, nevermind. :doh: :blush:

There is no good way to say that line.... :P

**** Dirty joke ****
Spoiler

Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 01:44 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 27 February 2012 - 01:18 AM, said:

Or it will be a bomb if done wrong.... :P

It'd be really COOL if original Robocop actor Peter Weller could play OCP vice-president (and resident bad guy) Dick Jones. :cylonclap:
After seeing him on "Enterprise" (Terra Prime) playing the evil, racist mogul Paxton or the trashy sleazy ex-cop on "Dexter"? He could play the S**T out of that role. He could even top Ronny Cox...

Posted Image << Ronny Cox's Dick Jones
Posted Image << Peter Weller; he'd be great in the role, IMO...

A Tale of Two Dicks.....er, I mean, A Tale of Two Joneses--er, nevermind. :doh: :blush:

There is no good way to say that line.... :P

**** Dirty joke ****
Spoiler

You dirty bugger! Well I agree that Peter Weller would make a great Dick Jones or maybe even Clarence J. Boddicker. He is a strong actor so he could play either role.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#14 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 27 February 2012 - 08:52 AM

I'm all for a RoboCop reboot but I don't want am remake. I think the first movie was very iconic and to redo it is just pointless. I would rather see a brand new story in the same veign as the original.

I remember watching the Prime Directives TV series and hoping that wasn't going to be a reboot. They need to make RoboCop an R/18 rated movie again and not a kids movie.

#15 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 09:28 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 27 February 2012 - 08:52 AM, said:

I'm all for a RoboCop reboot but I don't want am remake. I think the first movie was very iconic and to redo it is just pointless. I would rather see a brand new story in the same veign as the original.

I remember watching the Prime Directives TV series and hoping that wasn't going to be a reboot. They need to make RoboCop an R/18 rated movie again and not a kids movie.

I wasn't crazy about the Prime Directives TV series (to me, it was only slightly better than the sub-par made for Canadian TV series that came out earlier). Problem is, most of the sequels were about the action. And many of them adopted kind of a 'WWE' feeling about them ("Robocop vs BLANK"; like a half-a$$ Godzilla movie). None of the series (or the movie sequels) really 'got' the acid wit and scathing commentary of the original. There were attempts, but NONE of them hit the mark.

And I totally agree; the remake really NEEDS to be rated "R" (the original almost got an "X" for violence; for some reason a few seconds of trims got it an "R"). That's another trend that pi$$es me off these days; remaking "R" rated classics into mainstream, family-friendly, PG-13 multiplex fare.
Bulls**t, I say... :cylonnono:

You dirty bugger! Well I agree that Peter Weller would make a great Dick Jones or maybe even Clarence J. Boddicker. He is a strong actor so he could play either role.

You're right; Weller would also make a good Boddiker, too.
Although I also hope they go in a different direction too; otherwise they're just doing a frame-for-frame remake of the original and that would be pointless, really (it was tried with PSYCHO in 1998, and look how crappy that turned out; a multi-million dollar film school experiment).
I kind of hope the new powers-that-be create a remake that is as different from the original as New BSG was from it's source. IMO, the only reason to do a remake is to bring something new to the mix and to change the things that didn't work well the first time (BSG is my TEXTBOOK example of how to do a proper 're-imagining').

Problem is, with ROBOCOP everything worked so well the first time!
I watched part of it the other day, and I was surprised at how well it's themes of corporate insanity and crass insensitivity to the masses still spoke to THIS age....
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:55 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 27 February 2012 - 09:28 AM, said:

Problem is, with ROBOCOP everything worked so well the first time!
I watched part of it the other day, and I was surprised at how well it's themes of corporate insanity and crass insensitivity to the masses still spoke to THIS age....

True! But I think it could work...especially with the underlining love/family story underneath it all. Him dealing with memories of his past and trying to reconnect to his lost family. Very intriguing. I think they can still create an origins film and have it true to the original story while being unique and new on its own.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#17 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 27 February 2012 - 04:57 PM

HERE OT This is why it could be good.
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 February 2012 - 06:49 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 27 February 2012 - 04:57 PM, said:

HERE OT This is why it could be good.

Wow. Good American accent. Wouldn't have guessed he was Swedish. You need a skinny actor (like Peter Weller in 1987) because the Robo suit adds so much BULK, that you really don't need or want an "Ah-nuld" type. I wonder how much the new version will deviate from the original...

And yes, dave. You're right. Someday I seriously need to check out "The Killing." You and Nan BOTH can't be wrong... :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 16 September 2012 - 11:26 PM

FIRST PHOTOS OF THE NEW ROBOCOP SUIT (via Comingsoon.net)

Posted ImagePosted Image

My thoughts on it? Very underwhelming. :huh:
Looks less than a cyborg and more like a future soldier in body armor or something. Too "Dark Knight" and not really 'cyborg'-ish enough.
Maybe Wayne Enterprises absorbs Omnicorp in a hostile takeover....
:lol:

Maybe the suit will be augmented with post-production CGI or cool sound effects or something....

Posted Image At this point? I'm not crazy about the new suit, but we'll see...

As a reminder? Here is the iconic original....

Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 17 September 2012 - 02:47 PM

Posted Image Posted Image

I was hoping that they would do something new with the suit but that looks pretty crap, looks too rubbery and there's nothing really defining about the suit. I agree with OT and hope they do something CGI with it.

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.