• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Composer Bear McCreary talks Blood & Chrome

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 23 February 2012 - 03:01 PM

BSG part of an interview with Bear McCreary:

Itís been announced this week that SyFy has given the go-ahead for a new Battlestar Galactica series, Blood & Chrome. SyFyís Mark Stern said no deal had been struck, but he Ďcouldnít imagineí the project without a Bear McCreary score. What can you tell us about the show and have you been approached about it?

I know as much as you guys! Iím not withholding any information - I just heard the showís been picked up. No oneís reached out for me yet, so I canít say Iím doing the show with any authority. However, I certainly hope that when the time comes to hire a composer, that theyíll come around and ask me, because it would be a lot of fun to go back to that Battlestar universe, especially considering the other announcement this week that Caprica is no more.

With regard to Caprica, do you regret the show has come to an end so soon?

Iíll regret that we donít get to go forward with these characters and learn more about them, but at the same time I have no regrets about the work we did. I think the work we did was exceptional, so a little bit of regret that we donít get to do more of it. I think everybody involved made the absolute best show they could, but for whatever reason, whatever factors there were, that caused people not to tune in the same way they did for Battlestar, it wasnít for lack of trying. I think everybody on the show did a great job, and Iím very proud of the soundtrack album of the pilot I had out.

Iím hoping we get to put out another album of the music I did for the series. Itís certainly a world that has a lot of life left in it. Whether or not they ask me to do Blood & Chrome, I really hope the series exists and continues to move the Battlestar Galactica story forward.

Regarding Battlestar itself, one of the most memorable pieces of music from the series was your take on All Along the Watchtower. How did that come about, and how do you tackle covering one of the most iconic songs ever written?

Those are good questions. Those are the questions I had for Ron Moore when I heard we were doing this. Personally, I thought it was a disastrous idea - I had no idea what they wanted. All I knew was that at some point at the end of season three, they needed me to do a version of All Along the Watchtower.

After having heard rumblings about this from editorial, I finally caught Ron Moore in the hallway one day. I said, ĎRon, whatís the deal with Watchtower? What do you want it to sound like?í And we talked about it for a minute, and basically what he said was, ĎI donít know, just make it sound like Battlestarí. And then he walked away, giving me almost no creative guidance at all.

Which was actually incredibly liberating, because I knew he didnít want it to sound like Bob Dylan, and he didnít want it to sound like Jimi Hendrix, and so I was able to do whatever I wanted, and I had this idea of doing something pretty hardcore. I was imagining a collaboration between George Harrison and Rage Against the Machine, with some Indian music going on in there. I threw together a demo in a couple of days, and I had my brother come in. He had just gotten off the plane, came right to the studio and he sang it. Then I sent it to Ron and the studio, and I was certain it would be torn apart. I mean what were we doing putting a heavy metal song in Battlestar Galactica? But they loved it. In fact, the demo I produced is almost indistinguishable from the final version. We went back and cleaned up some of the drums and some of the guitars, but what you hear on that soundtrack album - that was my first attempt. Which was exciting, but it was one of the few times where I had no guidance or input Ė Ron let me take a stab at it and thatís what I did.

Youíve also done a lot of live work, particularly with the Battlestar score. Will fans be seeing more of that, and if so what can they expect?

Thereís nothing on the books yet, but Iím very hopeful that weíre going to able to do more shows next year. Iím also hoping to put out a live album and a live DVD from some of the concerts weíve done in the past. We put out one live recording of the soundtracks to The Plan and Razor. And fans in Europe were treated to a hi-def concert of six songs that are on the season four release in Europe, so thereís stuff getting out there, and the reaction across the board is just wonderfully positive. People love this music, they love these concerts, they want more, and we absolutely want to bring them more of that music.

Source: Shadow Locked

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 23 February 2012 - 04:07 PM

I'll believe when I see it in HD on the ol' flat screen (can't say 'tube' anymore)... ;)

Glad to hear McCreary's involved; let's hear it for the Bear!! :clap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2014 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad

Posted 23 February 2012 - 07:10 PM

I don't believe it has been picked up yet. I haven't read anywhere where the exec's over at skiffy picked it up for a series.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 23 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 23 February 2012 - 07:10 PM, said:

I don't believe it has been picked up yet. I haven't read anywhere where the exec's over at skiffy picked it up for a series.

Aha! :idea32:
OT Holmes, on the case...

It seems the article was dated October, of 2010. When rumors of B&C being picked up (as I recall) were rampant.
From what I've heard since? I think SyFy got cold feet. The pilot's been on ice for almost a year.

But, at any rate, however bad (or hopefully good) the movie is? It'll still be that much better than it would've been without the Bear's music. He also does the music for "Walking Dead". Appropriate, since IMO, WD is BSG's darker, earthbound cousin (thematically, if not literally).

He also did the music for the short-lived (and IMO underappreciated) "Terminator: Sarah Connor Chronicles" (that one really could've been BSG's cousin; just imagine Skynet and the terminators as "earth Cylons" and it could be in the same universe, really).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   Magic_User Icon

• Petty Officer 2nd Class

Posted 21 December 2012 - 03:56 PM

I heard the stuff he compaosed; he's done a great job, IMHO! :)

#6 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 22 December 2012 - 02:43 PM

So true, Magic. The music is so nice! Love it.
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."Ě
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.