GalacticaBBS: Jonny Lee Miller to play Sherlock Holmes - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Jonny Lee Miller to play Sherlock Holmes

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 15 February 2012 - 03:11 PM

Jonny Lee Miller is set to become the latest British actor to pick up a pipe and play Sherlock Holmes.

Following in the footsteps of the Benedict Cumberbatch and Jeremy Brett, Jonny will be portraying the famous detective in a US TV update of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's famous detective stories.

The CBS show, called Elementary, will see Sherlock based in a contemporary New York setting - so far, we're reminded of Roger Moore when he played the famous detective in the television film Sherlock Holmes In New York.

We have a very good feeling about Elementary and, seeing that the recent series finale of the BBC revival of Sherlock raked in a massive 7.1 million viewers, we're expecting Jonny's show to be equally as successful in the States.

We doubt that BBC Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch will be feeling too threatened by the news though - he's actually great friends with Jonny and the pair recently appeared on stage in the National Theatre's Frankenstein, which resulted in them both winning the best actor prize at the Evening Standard Theatre Awards.

We wonder if Benedict will offer up any tips on how to play the smooth British detective to Jonny?

As for the BBC version of Sherlock, Benedict will be reprising his role as the detective for a third series later on in the year.

Source: MSN

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:52 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 15 February 2012 - 03:11 PM, said:

Jonny Lee Miller is set to become the latest British actor to pick up a pipe and play Sherlock Holmes.

Following in the footsteps of the Benedict Cumberbatch and Jeremy Brett, Jonny will be portraying the famous detective in a US TV update of Sir Arthur Conan Doyle's famous detective stories.

The CBS show, called Elementary, will see Sherlock based in a contemporary New York setting - so far, we're reminded of Roger Moore when he played the famous detective in the television film Sherlock Holmes In New York.

We have a very good feeling about Elementary and, seeing that the recent series finale of the BBC revival of Sherlock raked in a massive 7.1 million viewers, we're expecting Jonny's show to be equally as successful in the States.

We doubt that BBC Sherlock star Benedict Cumberbatch will be feeling too threatened by the news though - he's actually great friends with Jonny and the pair recently appeared on stage in the National Theatre's Frankenstein, which resulted in them both winning the best actor prize at the Evening Standard Theatre Awards.

We wonder if Benedict will offer up any tips on how to play the smooth British detective to Jonny?

As for the BBC version of Sherlock, Benedict will be reprising his role as the detective for a third series later on in the year.

Source: MSN

As long as this is supplanting the BBC version (with Cumberbatch) and NOT replacing it? I'll put away the daggers, spears, poison darts and grenades and possibly check this out. Johnny Lee Miller was fairly good playing the big bad in Dexter (though not as good as some other big bads on the show). With his look? I could see it. Though Cumberbatch and Brett cast AWESOME shadows... they ARE the character, as far as I'm concerned; as much as Nimoy and Quinto are both Spock.

My love of Sherlock Holmes has taken me down some strange roads with the character ("The Private Life of Sherlock Holmes", "Sherlock Holmes' Smarter Brother", "There Might Be Giants" [w. George C Scott as a mental patient who believed he was Holmes], "Young Sherlock Holmes" [a pleasant surprise] and even Charlton "Damn you all to Hell" Heston playing the character [I can't talk about that right now...]!). And overlooking the Robert Downey Jr abominations (I nearly projectile-vomited at the screen with the first one), I look forward to a new take on the whole thing once again... as long as they don't FRAK with my BBC version (they finally did a PERFECT modern adaptation... they'd better not blow it!).

The game may be afoot yet again... ;)
:cylonnono: :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2013 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones

Posted 17 February 2012 - 02:41 PM

Sherlock producer blasts Jonny Lee Miller's Elementary casting COURTESY OF BLASTR.COM

The road sure isn't smooth for CBS' upcoming drama series Elementary. First, the BBC made it clear that they will sue the network if its new show shares too many similarities with the Beeb's awesome Sherlock, and now a producer is blasting the casting choice of Jonny Lee Miller as the other modern Sherlock Holmes.

Sherlock producer Sue Vertue has spoken up (again), this time regarding the news that Jonny Lee Miller—who shared the spotlight with the awesomely-cheekboned Benedict Cumberbatch in Danny Boyle's critically acclaimed play Frankenstein (both actors won a Best Actor prize after alternately sharing the same two roles: that of Frankenstein and his monster)—has been cast as the New York-based modern Sherlock Holmes.

Vertue told The Independent "Jonny is a very fine actor, who I saw recently in the theatre when he and Benedict played alternating roles in Frankenstein. Let's hope their pilot script has stayed further away from our Sherlock than their casting choice."

She added: "We have been in touch with CBS and informed them that we will be looking at their finished pilot very closely for any infringement of our rights."

CBS is still insisting they'll be respectful of copyright laws and will not infringe the copyright of the BBC series:

"Our project is a contemporary take on Sherlock Homes that will be based on Holmes, Watson and other characters in the public domain, as well as original characters. We are, of course, respectful of all copyright laws and will not infringe on any stories or works that may still be protected."
Miller, who's no stranger to U.S. audiences, having starred in the legal drama Eli Stone a couple of years back, and having recently made a killer splash on Dexter, will soon shoot the Elementary pilot, with plans for a full series this September. If the network is pleased with the end result, that is.

Then the gloves will be off for what is bound to be a massive ''who's-got-the-biggest-brains'' face-off.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 18 February 2012 - 12:00 AM

Then the gloves will be off for what is bound to be a massive ''who's-got-the-biggest-brains'' face-off.

Cumberbatch by a knockout! :flex:

I'm fairly sure Miller will not be anywhere near the caliber of Brett or Cumberbatch, but he couldn't be any worse than Charlton Heston (whom I'd ordinarily like, if he were parting the red sea, cursing damn dirty apes or clearing the streets of pasty-faced mutants), or even Matt Frewer of Max Headroom (yes, even HE took a stab at Holmes). Robert Downey Jr, aka Sherlock Stark, also just didn't do it for me. He was playing something, but it was NOT Sherlock Holmes no matter how you sliced it. And even Jude Law was another case of a great actor miscast (I don't buy Law as either a doctor nor a hardened war veteran, as Watson IS both in the BBC versions and the books).

For Johnny Lee Miller? Meh. We'll see.... being a Holmes fanatic, I'll probably have to at least try it. ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.