• 4 Pages +
  • Last »

Iron Sky: new trailer

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 13 February 2012 - 12:40 PM

Posted Image

The release of Iron Sky, one of our most eagerly anticipated sci-fi films of 2012 draws closer, and there’s a new trailer and poster to remind us…

It’s about an invasion from high-tech Nazis lurking on the dark side of the moon, and it’s got Udo Kier in it as a Moon Führer. That’s about all you need to know about director Timo Vuorensola’s low-budget yet extraordinarily ambitious mini blockbuster.

We placed Iron Sky high on our top-10 list of our most anticipated sci-fi movies of the year, and the new trailer and poster have done nothing to dampen our enthusiasm for this daft, maniacally imaginative film.

As you can see from the poster, Iron Sky’s release date’s set for the 4th April, and we hope its distributors get it into as many UK cinemas as possible. In the meantime, enjoy the fabulous new trailer…

Source: Den of Geek

#2 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:2014 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad

Posted 13 February 2012 - 02:13 PM

I had to google this before I made a hasty commentary. The effects don't look too bad for a movie with a 7.5 million Euro budget. Seems like it is getting a European release only? With that said it looks destined for B-movie stardom. Especially after a description of it indicated is was a science fiction comedy film. The whole idea of space nazi's invading from the dark side of the moon can't be anything other than comical. I suppose it could be horrific. :unsure:
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 13 February 2012 - 07:59 PM

I'll admit, scifi comedies (traditionally) don't do very well; although there were the "Men In Black" movies (with a 3rd coming this year); not my cup of tea, but they were scifi comedy and they did make a lot of money. Of course, those had heavy wattage star power and insanely high budgets. But "Iron Sky" looks REALLY interesting to me personally. And I am an Udo Kier fan; I have some of his old Hammer horror films on dvd, as well as "Blade." The special effects for "Iron Sky" (while good for a modest budget scifi movie) won't really be the driving force, I think. I think it'll rely more on satire and wit to carry the day (which is fine by me). And I love the Sarah Palin-esque president (even though Sarah Palin jokes are a bit 2008); slightly outdated, but still funny. I am really kind of psyched for this one.
:clap:

Although I agree that it probably won't be a huge hit in the US (it'll probably be more of an arthouse darling), it will still probably get a decent, if limited, release. I will DEFINITELY seek it out (no matter if I have to drive to Los Angeles; although I'm betting my little arthouse theater in nearby Irvine will probably have it). I really enjoy seeking out smaller, less mainstream movies anyway; it's kind of a 'hobby' of mine (and it's often FAR more rewarding than waiting in line at the multiplexes to see more lantern-jawed guys in CGI tights beating up giant CGI robots in cookie-cutter made crap). It just pi$$es me off that so many people in the US are averse to the richness and variety of European cinema for no good reason, while all-American, popcorn-feeder-strapped-to-the-face garbage like the Transformers movies make a gazillion freaking dollars. Go figure...

"Iron Sky" looks like it has the potential to be sort of a modern day "Dr Strangelove." I can't wait.... :thumbsup: :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 14 February 2012 - 08:44 AM

I agree that this movie looks like it has potential. It looks camp enough to be amusing and the effects look good enough for eye candy. Of course I have been known to get my hopes up with movies so I'mgoing to reserve judgement until I've seen it.

#5 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 14 February 2012 - 10:44 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 14 February 2012 - 08:44 AM, said:

Of course I have been known to get my hopes up with movies so I'mgoing to reserve judgement until I've seen it.

It is much easier to bash something and go in with little to no expectations then you are either confirmed or surprised and there is no let down :roflmao:
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 14 February 2012 - 04:14 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 14 February 2012 - 10:44 AM, said:

It is much easier to bash something and go in with little to no expectations then you are either confirmed or surprised and there is no let down :roflmao:

That's been my strategy for 'event' movies lately; I go in with my expectation meter set to zero. That way? It can only go up. That's probably why I was kind of impressed with "Apollo 18" last year...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 15 February 2012 - 07:25 AM

Yea well the sarcasm gets lost pretty easy around here.

How was Apollo 18?
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 15 February 2012 - 08:41 AM

View Postdsgtdave, on 15 February 2012 - 07:25 AM, said:

Yea well the sarcasm gets lost pretty easy around here.

How was Apollo 18?

Better than I thought it had a right to be.

The story was kind of a throwback to those 1950s' 'monster-loose-inside-the-spaceship' movies which I used to watch tons of as a kid (with the 'lost-footage' premise of a "Paranormal Activity" movie), but they did it with a great knowledge and respect for, and an exacting look of, the Apollo missions. The jargon was more or less right-on; the lunar excursion scenes were VERY good (considering a $5 million budget, they rivaled and equalled "Apollo 13", IMO). Even the design for a secret Soviet spacecraft looked like some variation of the old two-man Voshkod ("Sunrise") spacecraft.

I actually sat through the credits to see who the technical adviser was (not something I usually look for) and I found it was former NASA mission controller, Gerry Griffin! I've read about his experiences at mission control ( Gerald Griffin/Wiki ), and he's very insightful. He's also a bit of a ham; he cameoed in both "Apollo 13" and "Contact."

But the movie benefitted from his advice, obviously. And in it's own way, it was well-made...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 User is offline   Bill Icon

• TU Forum Manager - Callsign Defiant

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:07 PM

I've been waiting for this one for 5 years and have been following it every step of the way.
Timo Vuorensola and Samuli Torssonen were guests of ours on TrekUnited talking about their film StarWreck:In The Pirkining.
In that chat they told us about the Iron Sky project. It was an intriguing concept.

This weeks premiere in Berlin went very well. 5 million views of the trailer in the 6 days since. Thats more than a blockbuster here in the US gets.

Added bonus today is a US distribution deal. This could be that next low-budget blockbuster.
www.trekunited.com

#10 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 17 February 2012 - 07:33 PM

View PostBill, on 17 February 2012 - 07:07 PM, said:

I've been waiting for this one for 5 years and have been following it every step of the way.
Timo Vuorensola and Samuli Torssonen were guests of ours on TrekUnited talking about their film StarWreck:In The Pirkining.
In that chat they told us about the Iron Sky project. It was an intriguing concept.

This weeks premiere in Berlin went very well. 5 million views of the trailer in the 6 days since. Thats more than a blockbuster here in the US gets.

Added bonus today is a US distribution deal. This could be that next low-budget blockbuster.

That's COOL, Bill. :clap:

I too, am looking forward to this one as well. I saw Star Wreck years back, and it was VERY funny. I'm curious to see what they could do with real feature film money. I too predict that it'll (at the very least) be a big cult hit...

I talked to another friend of mine and (like you) he'd been following the progress of this one for awhile and was also looking forward to it.

That's pretty neat that they were guests on TrekUnited... :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is offline   viper73 Icon

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • Interests:huge sci fi and history geek!

Posted 27 February 2012 - 12:15 AM

This is the first Ive seen of this and it looks cool :nav:

#12 User is offline   Bill Icon

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:07 PM

Next week is the US premiere in Austin TX at SW film festival.
www.trekunited.com

#13 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 03 March 2012 - 09:40 PM

View PostBill, on 03 March 2012 - 09:07 PM, said:

Next week is the US premiere in Austin TX at SW film festival.

Do you know when it opens nationally, Bill?
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 User is offline   Bill Icon

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:18 PM

Not yet but when I do I will certainly post it.
www.trekunited.com

#15 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 04 March 2012 - 07:32 PM

View PostBill, on 04 March 2012 - 07:18 PM, said:

Not yet but when I do I will certainly post it.

:thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 User is offline   Nanouk Icon

• Callsign - Ocean
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Wants to get married to Michelle Forbes

Posted 06 March 2012 - 04:50 AM

It prob won't .... this movie is going to be like 'Bitch Slap' if you remember that? They toured around on filmfestivals but never got the 'mainstream' cinema showings. It also on the website has this button to 'Demand it' in your town/country. Which was the same for Bitch slap.
Ive been following this movie for over a year now. And Im so happy Im here in Finland now it comes out. It will get a 'mainstream cinema' release here (ill be there 4th of April Helsinki!), but appart from maybe a few others (I spot Sweden Norway and UK) I dont think it will be in mainstream cinema. It wont be in Holland for sure (poor my friends:P NANANANANA!) But I do think it will be in enough USA film festivals for you guys to catch it :) Just keep checking the website ...

Of course I hope Im wrong and it comes out EVERYWHERE .. but im afraid it wont.
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Rowskid86 Icon

• Major
  • Interests:The Zone

Posted 06 March 2012 - 06:24 AM

Saw the first teaser of this back in early Feb, and from then I was excited. April 4th is when it comes out here i beleive
"Listen, you may feel like hell. But, sometimes, lost is where you need to be. Just because you don't know your direction doesn't mean you don't have one." Slick

#18 User is offline   Nanouk Icon

• Callsign - Ocean
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Wants to get married to Michelle Forbes

Posted 06 March 2012 - 07:44 AM

http://www.imdb.com/...314/releaseinfo

It has already been shown in the US on some festivals.
The official theatre release is 4th of April. I hope it comes in the US aswell.
Cant you check that on the website of the cinema?
I mean here I can check on Finnkino that it will be in Finnish cinema 4th of April
On Pathe.nl I can see it doesn't come in Dutch cinema.
In the US I only know Clearview Cinema's and they won't show it...
But perhaps thats just a small cinema group I don't know:)
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 06 March 2012 - 09:30 AM

View PostNanouk, on 06 March 2012 - 07:44 AM, said:

http://www.imdb.com/...314/releaseinfo

It has already been shown in the US on some festivals.
The official theatre release is 4th of April. I hope it comes in the US aswell.
Cant you check that on the website of the cinema?
I mean here I can check on Finnkino that it will be in Finnish cinema 4th of April
On Pathe.nl I can see it doesn't come in Dutch cinema.
In the US I only know Clearview Cinema's and they won't show it...
But perhaps thats just a small cinema group I don't know:)

Nearest I can see (no one gives an exact date) it'll hit the US probably in May. My guess is it'll play the art-house circuit first (I'll have to drive out to the University theatre in Irvine; about 25 minutes away... not too bad). The way we first saw "The Artist"; had to really look for it (this was right before all of the Oscar buzz started; two weeks later, it was everywhere).

I'm predicting a similar pattern for "Iron Sky"; arthouse theatres first, then a major release after a couple months or so. American cinema is very 'risk-averse'; smaller, artier, more controversial European films often have to play arthouses first (a true shame really, when crap like "Lorax" or "Bad Teacher" will play in every theatre within earshot). If it 'proves itself', THEN (and only then) will it get a wider release.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 User is offline   Rowskid86 Icon

• Major
  • Interests:The Zone

Posted 06 March 2012 - 10:06 PM

I hope we get it April 4th and don't have to wait for it to go through independent film festivals first and wait more just to see it.
"Listen, you may feel like hell. But, sometimes, lost is where you need to be. Just because you don't know your direction doesn't mean you don't have one." Slick

Share this topic:

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.