GalacticaBBS: Fans said Emma Watson was their top choice to play Doctor Who's assist - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Fans said Emma Watson was their top choice to play Doctor Who's assist

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 11:57 AM

Emma Watson has come top of a poll to find the perfect new assistant for Doctor Who.

Producers have been hunting for a sidekick for the Timelord since Scottish actress Karen Gillan, who played Amy Pond, announced she was leaving the BBC show.

In a survey for entertainment and games website IGN.com, more than a quarter of the 5000 people questioned picked former Harry Potter star Emma as the ideal new co-star for leading man Matt Smith.

New Girl star Zooey Deschanel came second in the poll, with former Brookside star Anna Friel in third place. Mama Do singer Pixie Lott and Game Of Thrones star Emilia Clarke finished in fourth and fifth place.

Meanwhile, the highest ranked male was Attack The Block's John Boyega.

Chris Tilly, entertainment editor at IGN.com, said: "Emma is the overwhelming favourite with viewers - as Hermione Granger she empowered super-smart girls all over the world and she also showed impressive action credentials in the later Harry Potter movies.

"Fans really want to see her make the switch from magic to time travel. With Karen Gillan leaving, this will be one of the most hotly-contested roles in TV."

Source: MSN

#2 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 12:27 PM

Even as someone who's only ever watched one episode of Doctor Who, this possibility makes me cringe a little.

#3 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:51 PM

I think Zooey would be ok as a companion, not too sure how she'd be with Matt Smith's Doctor though. I agree that Emma Watson is very wrong for the role.

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 06 February 2012 - 07:12 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 06 February 2012 - 03:51 PM, said:

I think Zooey would be ok as a companion, not too sure how she'd be with Matt Smith's Doctor though. I agree that Emma Watson is very wrong for the role.

Nothing against Emma Watson personally (I thought she was OK in Potter, if a bit bland, and very good in "My Week With Marilyn"), but she brings, even at her young age, too much 'baggage' from her Harry Potter role of Hermione. And IMO? DW is getting too "Potter-ish" for my tastes as it is. :cylonnono:

I'd prefer a companion who's a fresh face; like Karen Gillan. Someone with whom audiences both in the UK and here across the pond have no identification with. Makes it easier to 'lose oneself' in the make-believe of it all.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 07 February 2012 - 12:19 PM

I agree that EW does have a lot of baggage from Harry Potter. Even putting that aside I just don't see her in the role.

I've noticed that there is a trend with the companions (not including Xmas specials).

Billie Piper - Known
Freema Agyeman - Unknown
Catherine Tate - Known
Karen Gillan - Unknown

We're due a famous person next to take on the role as companion.

#6 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 07 February 2012 - 07:08 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 07 February 2012 - 12:19 PM, said:

I agree that EW does have a lot of baggage from Harry Potter. Even putting that aside I just don't see her in the role.

I've noticed that there is a trend with the companions (not including Xmas specials).

Billie Piper - Known
Freema Agyeman - Unknown
Catherine Tate - Known
Karen Gillan - Unknown

We're due a famous person next to take on the role as companion.

I kind of hope they stick with relative unknowns. Works better for the show. :thumbsup:

As they say in BSG, "Break the cycle..." :adama-pancarte001:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   Bill Icon

• TU Forum Manager - Callsign Defiant

Posted 08 February 2012 - 04:39 PM

As I read this the other day I pondered how that would play out.
Emma is a talented, intelligent actor but I can honestly say I can't see her in Dr Who.
Zooey Deschanel, I have always liked, but no matter what she plays it is a variation of the same quirky character.
She could play it like her role in Hitchhikers guide, but I fear it would get old fast.

Which leaves someone that is new and fresh as being the best option. We'll see soon enough.
www.trekunited.com

#8 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 08 February 2012 - 08:08 PM

View PostBill, on 08 February 2012 - 04:39 PM, said:

As I read this the other day I pondered how that would play out.
Emma is a talented, intelligent actor but I can honestly say I can't see her in Dr Who.
Zooey Deschanel, I have always liked, but no matter what she plays it is a variation of the same quirky character.
She could play it like her role in Hitchhikers guide, but I fear it would get old fast.

Which leaves someone that is new and fresh as being the best option. We'll see soon enough.

I just fear that if they go for a 'brand name' actor, the suspension of disbelief required for the show will be that much harder to maintain as audiences will be too busy thinking, "oh, that's so-and-so from such-and-such." I find it much easier to 'lose myself' in a show when I'm unfamiliar with the lead actors. Luckily for me, I was not too familiar with Billie Piper or Catherine Tate's works when I saw them on DW (I was aware of them, but that was it), and it was easier to simply accept them as "Rose" and "Donna".
;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.