GalacticaBBS: The Doctor, The Widow & the Wardrobe - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

The Doctor, The Widow & the Wardrobe

#1 User is offline   Ravenshayde Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Buffy, Angel, Charmed, Lost, Heroes Battlestar Galactica, Deep Space Nine (courtesy of my boyfriend making me watching it :p), Sci-Fi Conventions, Wrestling, Music (mainly rocky stuff), Tattoos, Piercings, Drinking Beer hehehe!

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:37 PM

Enjoy!

Attached thumbnail(s)

• Attached Image: crimbo1.jpg
  • Attached Image: crimbo2.jpg
  • Attached Image: crimbo_pic.jpg
  • Attached Image: The-doctor-the-widow-and-the-wardrobe-241111-1.jpg
  • Attached Image: The-doctor-the-widow-and-the-wardrobe-241111-2.jpg
  • Attached Image: The-doctor-the-widow-and-the-wardrobe-241111-3.jpg
  • Attached Image: The-doctor-the-widow-and-the-wardrobe-241111-4.jpg
  • Attached Image: The-doctor-the-widow-and-the-wardrobe-241111-5.jpg
  • Attached Image: The-doctor-the-widow-and-the-wardrobe-241111-6.jpg
  • Attached Image: The-doctor-the-widow-and-the-wardrobe-241111-7.jpg

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 24 November 2011 - 01:46 PM

Ohhh, dangerously close to "Harry Potter/C.S. Lewis" for my taste. Scifi DW; where are you?!? :blink:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   Bill Icon

• TU Forum Manager - Callsign Defiant

Posted 27 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

It is, but because it is their Christmas special and for the kids I can overlook that.
www.trekunited.com

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 07:37 PM

View PostBill, on 27 November 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

It is, but because it is their Christmas special and for the kids I can overlook that.

Good point.

I may grumble, but I reluctantly agree... it IS the Christmas show, so yeah; it can be more "Harry-Fairy".... :nonono:

But I really miss the more science fiction-flavored DW.... :(

I don't know if the Brits get that silly Amy Pond voiceover before each show (as we do in the US broadcasts), but I really WISH they'd pull the plug on that whole, "My name is Amy Pond, and once upon a time I had an imaginary friend..." bulls**t. It undoes almost 50 years of DW history. Like the whole thing is a frakking dream of Amy's...

And FYI, none of my venom is directed at Karen Gillan or her character, incidentally; I still think Amy is possibly the best (and certainly one of the hottest) companions ever. I just have trouble with the whole concept of the show being reduced to her little imaginary story, that's all... :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   Bill Icon

Posted 27 November 2011 - 09:26 PM

I agree, the beginning voice-over is very un-Who.
Also agree on the hot part. :naughty3dg:

We have one more season of Amy and Rory and then a new companion to change things up again.
www.trekunited.com

#6 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 November 2011 - 11:02 PM

View PostBill, on 27 November 2011 - 09:26 PM, said:

I agree, the beginning voice-over is very un-Who.
Also agree on the hot part. :naughty3dg:

We have one more season of Amy and Rory and then a new companion to change things up again.

I hope DW doesn't become his/her fantasy, either...

Although I gotta say, I'll miss Amy (and even Rory) something fierce at this point.
My biggest regret? Amy never knew the Doctor when he was David Tennant (or even Christopher Eccleston). :(

Doctor Potter (aka Matt Smith) really tries and is a great actor, but at times he feels more like a Hogwarts' upperclassman than a 900 yr old Time Lord.... :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 01 December 2011 - 10:37 AM

oh dear it's "The Doctor, The Witch and the Wardrobe". SCIFI WHERE ART THOU!!

The UK Dr Who doesn't have the voice over thankfully.

#8 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 02 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 01 December 2011 - 10:37 AM, said:

oh dear it's "The Doctor, The Witch and the Wardrobe". SCIFI WHERE ART THOU!!

The UK Dr Who doesn't have the voice over thankfully.

That's funny how alike we think; I said almost the exact thing you said... :lol: :cylonclap:

As for the BBC-A voiceover? I figured it was 'dumbed down' for Yankee consumption. I sincerely wish they'd ditch it. I mean, is this a precedent? Are they going to record a new one for every new companion? So, from now on the Doctor only exists as his companions' 'imaginary friend'? No way...
"Hello. My name is Rose Tyler. I once had a 900 yr old imaginary boyfriend..."

My wife and I were watching a bit of series 2 yesterday (with Tennant and Piper) and it occurred to me how much I MISS Tennant. Again, nothing against Matt Smith or Stephen Moffatt (love his Sherlock and Jeckyll). But honestly? This Harry-Fairy DW is really getting tired now. It was an interesting side experiment, but I'd really like my hard scifi DW. I don't want the whole show to be a f**king J.K. Rowling/C.S. Lewis bedtime story... :doh:

Thank the gods there's still Torchwood for us grownups.... :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 User is offline   Bill Icon

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:00 AM

I guess we are all in agreement with this.
Bring back the SciFi in DW. :adama-pancarte001:

Hopefully Torchwood gets some sort of an ongoing presence.
www.trekunited.com

#10 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 03 December 2011 - 09:10 AM

View PostBill, on 03 December 2011 - 09:00 AM, said:

I guess we are all in agreement with this.
Bring back the SciFi in DW. :adama-pancarte001:

Hopefully Torchwood gets some sort of an ongoing presence.

Unfortunately, by the time it comes back (whenever that is), my satellite service's free Starz package (which allowed me to see Miracle Day week by week) will have expired. Oh well, guess I'll just have to wait for it to either come to Netflix or BBC-A, whichever comes first... :doh:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2011 - 09:12 AM

Some of this may be my illness talking, but here goes;

OK, I watched a half hour of The Lion, The Witch and the Chocolate Factor---er, I mean, the new DW Christmas Special; it's still on the DVR, but I think I'll need a shot of insulin before I can watch the rest of this sugary, kiddy crap..... :thumbsdown:

I am this [-] close to abandoning my once top fifth favorite show altogether. It's really jumped the flying shark at this point. It doesn't even seem to take place in the same universe as the classic series; let alone the RTD years of the show (say what you will about RTD, but at least his shows weren't all glowing, magical, Spielberg-wannabe kiddy crap; there was something for adults to chew on as well). Matt Smith was at his most obnoxious (I just wanted to scream "TAKE YOUR F**KING HELMET OFF ALREADY, for chrissakes"); his motormouth monologuing left me yawning (not to mention giving me a ripe case of adult onset attention-deficit disorder). The whole thing felt like a boring Tin Tin book being read to me by a hyper nerd with diarrhea of the mouth.

There have been a handful of brilliant episodes under the Moffatt 'Sugar and Spice' years of DW, but they are getting fewer and further in between (about one every fourth episode now, by my count; and yes, I AM counting). "Let's Kill Hitler" and "The Doctor's Wife" were some of the few that actually felt like they belonged in the long chronology of the show. There was (thanks to River) even a bit of the RTD sauciness that marked his edgier, more adult series. But these days? It's seems like EVERY other f**king episode of the Moffatt years feels like some variation of the following:

The Doctor, feeling disoriented and confused (but still babbling at 100 mph), befriends a kid(or kids), by appearing in (or with) a magical cupboard, closet, fireplace, hotel room, etc and becoming a super-powered Mr. Nanny to them until their real families get their s**t together. The End.

No kidding, I feel like I've seen this same, boring, stupid story 30 times in the last few years. Two things that might make this LOOONG time Whovian actually love the show again? Kick Moffatt upstairs into making Sherlock his #1 priority (that is one franchise he is doing VERY right, I must say) and (hold all spears and arrows, please) REGENERATE the Doctor again already. Let's have an edgier Doctor (Eccleston was a MAJOR step in the right direction; like Tom Baker only dangerous). Or how about that long-rumored black Doctor we've heard so much about? I want the 900 yr old Time Lord who helped wipe out his own race, I want the Doctor who goes ape-**** angry at the sight of a Dalek, I want the Doctor who actually seemed like he could've descended from Tom Baker, but most of all? I want a Doctor who actually explores time and space again, instead of a Doctor who spends all of his days stalking children's closets and making toys. His current fixation on Earth is really getting old; this is almost as bad as the Jon Pertwee years. At least he was EXILED to Earth...

In summary? Kick Moffatt upstairs to Sherlock fulltime and lose Matt Smith. I thought I'd warm up to him by now, but IMO (and mine alone perhaps, granted) he's just NOT cutting it. Usually, we DW geeks always go into a period of mourning when we 'lose' a Doctor, but usually by the end of the next year, we forget all about him and embrace the different take by the new actor. Two years in (and two Christmas specials) and I STILL miss (and mourn) Tennant (despite the gnashing teeth...).

PS: This is NOT the POV of a DW hater, by the way; for thirty-odd years I've watched the show (since Tom Baker episodes started airing on PBS in the late '70s). I have a 200 capacity dvd wallet stuffed almost to capacity of DW dvds. And my favorite gift this holiday was a Tardis cookie jar, so no; anyone who knows me KNOWS I am not a Who hater. :cylonnono:

I simply miss the show I fell in love with all those years ago...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2011 - 03:02 PM

Cut and pasted (and slightly expanded) from the "Last thing I watched" thread (because I'm too frakking sick and lazy to rewrite it all):

**** SPOILERS!!! ALL WHOVIANS WHO DIDN'T WATCH ON BBC-1 or BBC-A,
or the multitude of other ways DW was broadcast yesterday? DON'T READ! *****

OK, being open-minded (er, some of the time) I officially take back most of my rant against this latest Doctor Who Christmas special.

I went back and watched the rest of it. Once they got into the forest part of it all, it got much more interesting (and more properly science-fiction-y as well). Bringing back the ruthless (and somewhat shortsighted) industrialists from Androzani (from Doctor #5's own "Caves of Androzani") was a nice touch, too. Androzani Prime was also where Doctor #5 regenerated into #6 (and experienced what he really thought was going to be his death). And as I recall, the miners in the original episode were making some useless thing that the whole galaxy was addicted to, or something. Their liquidating of the sentient forest for battery acid fits right in with their previously seen ruthless, brutal stupidity as well. And I really liked the actress who played Madge; she was amazing. A very well-written character, too. She really was the 'earth mother' of the entire episode. Loved her piloting of the Androzanian platform. Great image, that was... :clap: :lol:

BUT--(there's always a but)-- part of my original anti-Moffatt rant remains! :cylonnono:
That first twenty minutes or so was basically a near-parody of nearly everything wrong with the Moffatt-run DW; children with magical, inter-dimensional, portal-y thingies. Enough with the pseudo-fairy tales already ("Is this Fairyland?" "Oh grow up! Fairyland looks totally different..." The Doctor should know; he's spent half his series there!). Honestly, if I see one more magical closet/wardrobe/mirror/portal with nightgown-wearing kids in it? I'll f**king scream!

As for the mega-happy ending? One HELL of a stretch, that was. Ol' Reg just happened to be flying home EXACTLY at the point in space/time where his wife was piloting a glowing tree/ship thing through the vortex and just happened to lead him home?!? Oh, pleaaaase. But you know what? Sure. Whatever. It was nice. If a bit false. The MEGA-happy Rory/Amy ending was excruciatingly syrupy, but OK (think I'll have that insulin shot now...). However, more Amy Pond is never a bad thing... :naughty3dg:

So, in short? The Christmas Special got much better after a typical (almost parodying), overly-Moffatt-ish first half hour... I stand (partially) corrected. ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 26 December 2011 - 06:19 PM

Turns out, his shoes were two sizes too small.

Who knew?! :P
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 December 2011 - 08:55 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 26 December 2011 - 06:19 PM, said:

Turns out, his shoes were two sizes too small.

Who knew?! :P

Shush you... :cylonnono: :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.