GalacticaBBS: Week 151 Competition - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Week 151 Competition as chosen by Captain-Taurus

Poll: Week 151 Competition (8 member(s) have cast votes)

Pick a winner

1. p0is0n0us (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

2. Captain-Taurus (4 votes [50.00%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 14 November 2011 - 03:05 PM

This weeks theme is your favorite moment or moments from the episode, Captain's Hand (S02E17).

Good luck :)

#2 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 14 November 2011 - 06:48 PM

Posted Image
Posted Image

Second to None!

#3 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:07 PM

Sorry I haven't seen this episode for so long so don't remember specific scenes. This picture was made from screencap's from the episode.

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 14 November 2011 - 07:35 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 14 November 2011 - 07:07 PM, said:

Sorry I haven't seen this episode for so long so don't remember specific scenes. This picture was made from screencap's from the episode.

Posted Image

Well done! I like it.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#5 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 09:57 PM

Both are nice entries so far...

I love this episode. One of my favorites of season 2. For once, it was a Lee-centric episode that really worked; nothing against Jamie Bamber (a fine actor), but Apollo seemed to be one of those characters who must've been a real tin-plated b!tch to write for because his episodes were almost always mixed bags. "Captain's Hand" was a sterling exception...
:thumbsup: :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:29 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 14 November 2011 - 09:57 PM, said:

Both are nice entries so far...

I love this episode. One of my favorites of season 2. For once, it was a Lee-centric episode that really worked; nothing against Jamie Bamber (a fine actor), but Apollo seemed to be one of those characters who must've been a real tin-plated b!tch to write for because his episodes were almost always mixed bags. "Captain's Hand" was a sterling exception...
:thumbsup: :cylonclap:

Thank you, Toaster for the compliments. I think Poisonous and I both captured some interesting elements of the episode. The episode I find is very complex to capture as a visual, but definitely a creative challenge. I really enjoy the Captain's Hand because it proves several things about the military. Not all of us are meant to lead but not all of us are incompetent because of it. We have skills that are suited for certain tasks and when you remove someone out of their comfort zone it becomes a challenge as to how to inspire them to become the way you want them to be. So when LEE gets the command of Pegasus, it makes sense. Garner was not meant to lead but he proved he was an awesome Engineer who knew what he had to do to get the job done.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#7 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 14 November 2011 - 10:46 PM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 14 November 2011 - 10:29 PM, said:

Thank you, Toaster for the compliments. I think Poisonous and I both captured some interesting elements of the episode. The episode I find is very complex to capture as a visual, but definitely a creative challenge. I really enjoy the Captain's Hand because it proves several things about the military. Not all of us are meant to lead but not all of us are incompetent because of it. We have skills that are suited for certain tasks and when you remove someone out of their comfort zone it becomes a challenge as to how to inspire them to become the way you want them to be. So when LEE gets the command of Pegasus, it makes sense. Garner was not meant to lead but he proved he was an awesome Engineer who knew what he had to do to get the job done.

It also proved that competence in one's given field (in this case, engineering) does not guarantee leadership skills anywhere else. I used to see that even when I was a manager in a department store; I saw people get promoted who went from excellent employees to pitiful excuses for leaders. The number one mistake I saw was always trying to be everyone's 'friend.' It's OK to be a friendly leader, but ALWAYS let them know where the line is drawn and be careful not to blur the line by being too close to your subordinates. Leadership is a delicate dance between empathy and objectivity, with the trick being to not fall in too much with one or the other. I had really good people skills back in the day, if I might pat my own back ( :D ). I remember some of the other managers used to ask if I could do their interviewing/hiring for them because they didn't like doing one-on-ones with people.

Garner's mistake was beautifully epitomized by Lee, "Command is about people, not machines..." Great episode. Applies to many situations....
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 16 November 2011 - 03:00 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 14 November 2011 - 10:46 PM, said:

It also proved that competence in one's given field (in this case, engineering) does not guarantee leadership skills anywhere else. I used to see that even when I was a manager in a department store; I saw people get promoted who went from excellent employees to pitiful excuses for leaders. The number one mistake I saw was always trying to be everyone's 'friend.' It's OK to be a friendly leader, but ALWAYS let them know where the line is drawn and be careful not to blur the line by being too close to your subordinates. Leadership is a delicate dance between empathy and objectivity, with the trick being to not fall in too much with one or the other. I had really good people skills back in the day, if I might pat my own back ( :D ). I remember some of the other managers used to ask if I could do their interviewing/hiring for them because they didn't like doing one-on-ones with people.

Garner's mistake was beautifully epitomized by Lee, "Command is about people, not machines..." Great episode. Applies to many situations....

There is truth to what you are saying. You cannot be their leader and their friend at the same time. I know from experience, in the military, I was primarily concerned about leading them properly and seeing to the welfare of my men and women. However, just because you are doing things right doesn't mean that you are doing it right. It was blurry as to why the military felt that I was not a good leader but regardless, their opinion was paramount and my opinion was inconsequential.

So, in one sense, I guess I relate to Garner. He was doing what he thought was right but clearly from our perspective we can see that he was in the wrong. It was clear that he should not be the captain of the Pegasus, but he does redeem himself by proving that he was a the perfect leader for Engineering. He knew his job well and should have stayed where he belonged. Lee was meant to lead and therefore, was the logical choice to replace Cain.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#9 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 16 November 2011 - 06:37 PM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 16 November 2011 - 03:00 AM, said:

So, in one sense, I guess I relate to Garner. He was doing what he thought was right but clearly from our perspective we can see that he was in the wrong. It was clear that he should not be the captain of the Pegasus, but he does redeem himself by proving that he was a the perfect leader for Engineering. He knew his job well and should have stayed where he belonged. Lee was meant to lead and therefore, was the logical choice to replace Cain.

One could argue that the only error committed was not by Garner at all but rather by Adama in promoting him without properly vetting him first (granted; the colonial military's circumstances at the time of the show were unique to say the least). Adama even admits later on that Garner was 'his mistake.'

IMO, the two things Garner did that make my teeth gnash when I see them were his dressing down of Kara in full view of the CIC; that's a Leadership 101 mistake. You neverEVER dress down a subordinate in full view of others. Bad for morale; bad for one's image as well (same logic as to why parents shouldn't fight in front of their children... it creates uncertainty and a lack of faith for a child to see parents going at each other like children themselves). And two; deliberately disobeying the admiral's express order (even if he hadn't died fixing the jump drive, he would've been in such deep s**t that he might've wished he were dead; lucky for him Cain was out of the way...). Garner totally ignored the tactical situation. He was reckless.

But sadly, as an engineer? He was a regular Scotty...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 16 November 2011 - 08:16 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 16 November 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

One could argue that the only error committed was not by Garner at all but rather by Adama in promoting him without properly vetting him first (granted; the colonial military's circumstances at the time of the show were unique to say the least). Adama even admits later on that Garner was 'his mistake.'

IMO, the two things Garner did that make my teeth gnash when I see them were his dressing down of Kara in full view of the CIC; that's a Leadership 101 mistake. You neverEVER dress down a subordinate in full view of others. Bad for morale; bad for one's image as well (same logic as to why parents shouldn't fight in front of their children... it creates uncertainty and a lack of faith for a child to see parents going at each other like children themselves). And two; deliberately disobeying the admiral's express order (even if he hadn't died fixing the jump drive, he would've been in such deep s**t that he might've wished he were dead; lucky for him Cain was out of the way...). Garner totally ignored the tactical situation. He was reckless.

Adama was having no luck with the Pegasus crew, so it made sense to have someone from Galactica take over the reigns and it was smart to make it Lee. What bothered me about Garner was his blatant disregard for the chain of command. It was as though the Galactica had no value to their military presence and therefore their directions were irrelevant. So he disobeys a direct order from Adama and he sends the Pegasus after the missing raptors and falls right into a trap. Once he is in that trap he is in over his head. This is where paying attention to the tactical situation would have prevented this from happening. His inexperience and his false pride in his ship was costly. They almost lose the Pegasus and he loses his life trying to undo the damage that he had done. Yes, he was a regular Scotty no matter what else you think of him.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#11 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

Voting time.

#12 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 19 November 2011 - 12:52 AM

Point CT, cool image :)

#13 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:34 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 16 November 2011 - 06:37 PM, said:

Parents pretending everything's okay in front of their kids is worse than fighting in front of them. Kids are very good at seeing behind the masks adults put up. However, this only applies as long as the kids also see parents making up afterwards, because this teaches them that a fight isn't the end of the world. Trust me, nobody wants to date or work with someone who's afraid of conflict. Most of those come from families where either parents went at it hammer and tongs all the time, with no apologies or making up in between. Or else the freezing atmosphere of parents walking on eggs all the time to avoid fighting in front of the children.

That said, bosses should always express any negative comments about the performance of their subordinates in private. If they have something good to say, it's okay to do it in front of everyone, depending on the subordinate. Some are so embarrassed by compliments that it's better to give those in private too. A good boss won't embarrass their subordinate in front of others if it's possible to avoid it.
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   lightning31659 Icon

• Major

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:48 AM

Point P
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 19 November 2011 - 10:12 AM

Point P
Posted Image

Second to None!

#16 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 19 November 2011 - 11:09 AM

Both were excellent graphics (of course; you guys always amaze me) but I voted for CT because he captured the essence of the episode with it's unlikely anti-hero Garner (who started off as a whiny old pr!ck and ended up a selfless hero).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 19 November 2011 - 01:56 PM

Point Captain-Taurus.
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   Boomer Icon

• Captain
  • Interests:BSG, Star trek, Star wars, X-files, Babylon-5...

Posted 20 November 2011 - 06:11 AM

Taurus is better.

#19 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 21 November 2011 - 06:58 AM

Looks like a draw, since CT chose last week I'll post this weeks theme when I think of one :)

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.