GalacticaBBS: John Orloff Talks Battlestar Galactica - GalacticaBBS

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

John Orloff Talks Battlestar Galactica There's still hope for a Moore-inspired adaptation of Singer's

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 05:12 PM

Not much has been said about Bryan Singer's feature remake of Battlestar Galactica lately, but last week we heard that Anonymous scribe John Orloff was brought on to pen the script. Since then, the internet has been ablaze with questions and theories for how this upcoming take is going to play out. Rabid fans of the BSG SyFy TV series in particular have been pleading for a Ronald D. Moore-inspired adaptation for the new film.

Recently, IGN was able to chat with Mr. Orloff, and while he doesn't flat out claim to be drawing from the recently deceased series, he doesn't flat out deny it either. The official statement from Singer claims that he wants to stick with the original Glen Larson source material, but now Orloff says that may not entirely be the case.

"I'm not going to confirm nor deny that," Orloff told us. "That might have been Bryan talking a long time ago. I'm hesitating because I don't want to give anything away. I'm very excited about my take. I love the take that I'm writing. I love Ron Moore's series. I really love Glen Larson's. I love Battlestar Galactica. As I've said, I'm not going to frak it up."

Orloff noted that there still isn't too much to tell about the upcoming film since it hasn't been written yet. According to Orloff, the screenplay is still being outlined and has no particular deadline set.

"As the article said yesterday, we're still finalizing the contract," he said. "But it's going to be fairly quick. Bryan is hoping that we're going to get this going pretty fast. It's going to be very cool, trust me. There's a reason it took him a long time to find a writer because he wants to make sure that this is right too. It's gonna be good."

As for the big question regarding the gender of one Lt. Starbuck, Orloff remains tight lipped. "Nope. Can't say!"

Source: IGN

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 October 2011 - 07:24 PM

Oi; Orloff sounds like he's just issuing more tease-talk from the Singer bulls**t factory... :doh: :lol:

I know this version is the one that will 'really' happen this time, but I remember all too well the exact thing being said in 1998 and 2001; from some of the same people (Singer and Glen Larson). I remember even seeing leaked photos from the sets that were under construction (Vipers that were much closer to their TOS counterparts) and pre-production artwork of a huge TOS-style bridge set . So forgive my constant cynicism on this one, I'll believe it when I see the damn thing in a theatre (and I'll be OK with it never happening, frankly; file this 'potential' movie under bad idea).... :doh:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 09:19 PM

Yikes... so WTF BSG?! aaaaaaaaaaarg
Seems like it will spiral into nothingness to me.
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:14 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 24 October 2011 - 09:19 PM, said:

Yikes... so WTF BSG?! aaaaaaaaaaarg
Seems like it will spiral into nothingness to me.

It has before... several times. Remember FOX's planned BSG revival in the '90s (featuring an elder Boxey now named Orin leading the fleet)? Or Glen Larson's "Pegasus" I-Max movie?
Exactly the same fate for this one, I predict.
They might even actually shoot some of it this time; but I still think a nervous studio(s) will put the kibosh on the whole thing at the last minute...
Besides, Bryan Singer's penchant for getting itchy feet with BSG is documented. Twice before he's pulled out of a BSG related project because something shinier caught his eye.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 24 October 2011 - 11:40 PM

O-tah-tah-tha-TEEEE
It's Time TIME TIIIIiii i i iMe for a reeeEEmake ake ake ake.

YEAH!

Posted Image
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:02 AM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 24 October 2011 - 11:40 PM, said:

O-tah-tah-tha-TEEEE
It's Time TIME TIIIIiii i i iMe for a reeeEEmake ake ake ake.

YEAH!

Posted Image

Posted Image

And with that comes an appropriately '80s styled CK derail image.... :cylonclap:

I used to love Max Headroom; great show, that was... :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:25 AM

^LOVE IT!

DERAIL... TO THE FUTURE!
Photoshop here I come.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 08:21 AM

Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Just for s**ts and giggles, from the previous Bryan Singer BSG; here's an almost Cylon, an almost BSG set, and an almost Viper from the aborted 2001 attempt. That's how close he came last time... I doubt it'll even get that far this time around.

And sorry, but that Cylon looks like a Power Rangers villain.... :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2011 - 12:10 PM

I have more Singer stuff for my ByYourCommand.net Gallery... I'll be posting it up sometime this week. OH THE TENSION! :P
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 25 October 2011 - 04:31 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 25 October 2011 - 12:10 PM, said:

I have more Singer stuff for my ByYourCommand.net Gallery... I'll be posting it up sometime this week. OH THE TENSION! :P

I've seen some of it on BattlestarGalactica.com and other sites here and there, but it'd be nice to have it all on BYC.net. :cylonclap:

Personally? I thought some of the set sketches were pretty good, but I hate the Singer/DeSanto Cylons; they look so mid-'90s (the era of Power Rangers and new Outer Limits).
I also wasn't too fond of his new Vipers, either. I thought NuBSG got those just right. :nBSGsalute: :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:03 PM

Posted Image

I always wondered where this Cylon came from, I thought it was a video game.

#12 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:33 PM

I've been looking for the DeSanto/Singer stuff and it seems a Video Game did come about from their concepts. I'll have to research it more.
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:24 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 26 October 2011 - 03:33 PM, said:

I've been looking for the DeSanto/Singer stuff and it seems a Video Game did come about from their concepts. I'll have to research it more.

I think you're right. I remember a videogame my friend played that featured 'newish' looking vipers but it also had Apollo and a male Starbuck...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:00 PM

I've been reading about it... and that's correct OT.
-Using a cheat code the player character (a young William "Husker" Adama) could have wing men of Apollo and Starbuck (both voiced by their original actors - Richard H. and Dirk B.!!!)

Moreover, Battlestar Galactica the video game (2003) is QUITE unique.
-It had elements from classic BSG
-It had elements from the yet to be released nuBSG Mini Series/following Series
-It had a few elements loosly based on DeSanto/Singer at one time this game was to be based on that remake, but that fell apart when the remake did.
-It had its OWN new elements
...so as you can see, this game was a massive BSG soup and as such is non-canonical to an single BSG incarnation.

And P.S. you can see cool game images, concept art and even a partial cut scene from the game at my new ByYourCommand.net Gallery! (COOL, huh?!)
http://www.byyourcom...et/cylongallery

And read more about the game at Battlewiki:
http://en.battlestar...tica_(2003_game)
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:44 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 26 October 2011 - 08:00 PM, said:

I've been reading about it... and that's correct OT.
-Using a cheat code the player character (a young William "Husker" Adama) could have wing men of Apollo and Starbuck (both voiced by their original actors - Richard H. and Dirk B.!!!)

Moreover, Battlestar Galactica the video game (2003) is QUITE unique.
-It had elements from classic BSG
-It had elements from the yet to be released nuBSG Mini Series/following Series
-It had a few elements loosly based on DeSanto/Singer at one time this game was to be based on that remake, but that fell apart when the remake did.
-It had its OWN new elements
...so as you can see, this game was a massive BSG soup and as such is non-canonical to an single BSG incarnation.

And P.S. you can see cool game images, concept art and even a partial cut scene from the game at my new ByYourCommand.net Gallery! (COOL, huh?!)
http://www.byyourcom...et/cylongallery

And read more about the game at Battlewiki:
http://en.battlestar...tica_(2003_game)

Cool.

Just came back from the BYC.net BSG game gallery; I like how William Adama and Garris Cain (male, as in TOS) were both young pilots. The game universe is sort of a third alternative BSG universe. A hybrid of TOS and NuBSG, as you say. Intriguing. Still hate the DeSanto/Singer-ish Cylons though; they look like crap. :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 26 October 2011 - 11:19 PM

I have the DeSanto/Singer stuff up too now... 141 pics and a Video too (effects test)
http://www.byyourcom...s.php?album=164
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:04 AM

I played the game, it was really difficult, never managed to finish it.

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:17 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 26 October 2011 - 11:19 PM, said:

I have the DeSanto/Singer stuff up too now... 141 pics and a Video too (effects test)
http://www.byyourcom...s.php?album=164

Great job on the gallery, CK. :cylonclap:

After seeing the almost 2001 version, all I can say is... I'm so glad they never approved it! :cylonclap:
The Ovion looks like ET with pincers on his head, Imperious Leader looks like a Jem'Hadar from DS9. The Vipers and other sets are WAY too close to TOS. To me, that violates the #1 rule of doing a remake; it should only be attempted if you have something REALLY new to bring to the table. And I just don't see that here (in that gallery or from other stuff I've seen/read about it). It would've been interesting as a one-off movie (or experiment), but I really think it was too bathed in nostalgia (for TOS) to make a go of it. The new series took a bold new direction and was loyal only to those elements of BSG that still resonate and work in our present day (the destruction of the colonies takes on a much more serious dimension post 9/11; RDM's NuBSG properly reflects that). NuBSG wisely jettisoned the stuff that didn't (nicely keeping the core conflict between Cylons and humanity). And adding a whole new (and topical) dimension to the Cylons by making them our 'children' (instead of just obsessive-compulsive aliens bent on our destruction for no good reason). NuBSG really speaks to our age in a way that TOS simply does not (as much as I loved it as a kid, it doesn't hold up quite as well these days for newer audiences... not being trollish, just honest).

Oh well. It's all academic anyway; I still have strong doubt that Singer's new version (of TOS) will really see the light of day. Even if completed, it could still be shelved indefinitely. Look at NBC's pilot for Wonder Woman... :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:47 PM

It was to be a continuation, not a remake really (hence Vipers) with a few modern twists (Ovions). But like anything, yeah, not 100% of the stuff floated my boat either.
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:42 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 27 October 2011 - 09:47 PM, said:

But like anything, yeah, not 100% of the stuff floated my boat either.

You mean your basestar? ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.