GalacticaBBS: I am ticked about Aquaria - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

I am ticked about Aquaria Disscusion about Aquaria

#1 User is offline   ComanderAdia Icon

• Recruit
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 October 2011 - 01:08 AM

Yes my zodiac is Aquarius therefor I have a biased view yet still.....I read the new "official" description of Aquaria (via the new map of the colonies) and I'm ticked!!! Aquaria a population of only 25,000???? And "viewed as little more then a research out post by the other 11" ?!?!?! For real!!!! That's not a colony?! Why apply that to a core colony? Why not apply that to some orbital moon of a core colony?! I really feel like that those in charge really dropped the ball on this. Im not asking Aquaria be elevated to the status of Caprica but it seems as if it was an after thought, all of the creators sitting around "hey! We get all the colonies?", "NO we forgot Aquaria", " oh that's ok we will give it crappy description and be done with it"..... What do u guys think?

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 06:49 AM

Don't believe in astrology, so I've no real opinion on that. :unsure:

As an astronomy geek and member of the Planetary Society, I believe we're connected to the stars in a more literal sense. Every atom of our bodies was born in the fiery heart of our sun. Close enough for me... :D

Oh, and where are my manners?
Welcome aboard! Post often and enjoy!! :thumbsup: :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2014 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:24 AM

Well Aquarion is almost entirely covered in frigid, brackish seas punctuated with violent volcanoes. Aquarion has only one land mass large enough for human habitation, Kryos. Kryos features volcanoes at each end of the crescent; most of the island is volcanic tephra covered in moss and punctuated with exotic native plan life. (From the Visitors Pocket Guide To The 12 Colonies)

Doesn't sound too friendly.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Nanouk Icon

• Callsign - Ocean
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Wants to get married to Michelle Forbes

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:33 AM

View Postdsgtdave, on 10 October 2011 - 10:24 AM, said:

Well Aquarion is almost entirely covered in frigid, brackish seas punctuated with violent volcanoes. Aquarion has only one land mass large enough for human habitation, Kryos. Kryos features volcanoes at each end of the crescent; most of the island is volcanic tephra covered in moss and punctuated with exotic native plan life. (From the Visitors Pocket Guide To The 12 Colonies)

Doesn't sound too friendly.

Sounds like me and my container should live there:P
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:04 PM

I think the worst planet would be Canceron.

Over-populated, extremely close to its sun. Very hot.

Not my cup of tea.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#6 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:28 PM

View PostAphrodite, on 10 October 2011 - 04:04 PM, said:

Not my cup of tea.

I think I'll just change my accent and move to Caprica (and no, I'm NOT from Aerilon! :lol: ). Technically speaking, as I don't believe in astrology, but my colony is 'off the map' (I was born under the 'sign' of Ophichus, the healer; situated between Scorpio and Sagittarius in the zodiacal belt). :P

Maybe it's the 13th tribe... I guess I AM a Cylon, after all. :lol: :cylon-pancarte03:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2014 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:36 PM

View PostAphrodite, on 10 October 2011 - 04:04 PM, said:

Not my cup of tea.

Spectacularly pleasant at the southern beaches, hot and steamy in the inland south, highly temperate and farm-friendly again as you move north, Canceron is then frigid in the mountain north. The soil here is (or was) legendary, an old joke says if you spit on Canceron, you will grow a pond. The mineral wealth is abundant, with veins rich in coal, iron, silver and other valuable ones remarkably close to the surface.

Canceron's two great landmasses have a little of everything - gorgeous beaches, huge cities, fertile plants, and in the far north, unbelievably tall mountain ranges. The capital is Hades, a former Great Valley boom town whose population has been exploding for decades. Downtown is a security zone for the powerful, known as New Hades. The third city is Mangala, a once-vigorous trading port, now known for fine art, museums, and unidentified bodies. Mangala is ringed with brightly colored shanties so dense and sprawling that they extend to and stack at the very edges of seaside cliffs.

((just what the Cap guide told me))
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:20 PM

Welcome ComanderAdia!

And, for Aquaria I think it was what it was to create conflict. Each Colony was crafted to create a certain type of charcter base so that the show would be full of drama. To me - one spot that nuBSG didn't seem to really get into was "class." Everyone seems to be pretty okay with everything post worlds destruction. Classic BSG had more of a "looking down my nose" on others from the rich to the not rich.
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 08:57 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 10 October 2011 - 08:20 PM, said:

Welcome ComanderAdia!

And, for Aquaria I think it was what it was to create conflict. Each Colony was crafted to create a certain type of charcter base so that the show would be full of drama. To me - one spot that nuBSG didn't seem to really get into was "class." Everyone seems to be pretty okay with everything post worlds destruction. Classic BSG had more of a "looking down my nose" on others from the rich to the not rich.

Think you need to 'brush up' on your NuBSG my toaster comrade... :cylonnono:
I think Star Trek Voyager has occupied too much of your memory circuits. :P
There were many episodes of NuBSG that dealt with class struggles among the different colonies ("The Woman King" "Bastille Day" "Colonial Day", etc). Sagittaron is supposed to be a poor colony; it's inhabitants exploited (perhaps analogous to South Africa and it's indigenous peoples in the diamond mines under apartheid). The Gemonese are religious fundamentalists. Aerilons are farmers (with vaguely Irish stereotype characteristics about them). And practically the whole of the series "Caprica" dealt with how the lowly, 'dirty' Taurons were looked down upon by the 'elite' of Caprica...

And for my money? I think NuBSG deals with the whole 'caste system' a lot more realistically than Classic BSG did. I mean, who gives a frak what colony one is from if ALL the colonies are nuked wastelands? And I really don't remember classic BSG addressing class/caste systems except with Sire Uri in the pilot episode (who hoarded food on the Rising Star while other 'lower class' colonists were starving to death on freighters). After that, it was all kind of 'hunky dory'; people still starved (as we saw in "War of the Gods"; it's just that no one cared anymore...).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

I know they did some... there was not the classic type of "rich having a big huge party" while the poor suffer. And it was clearly pointed out by Warriors coming to take the stuff and give it to the poor. (Saga of Star World)
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 09:04 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 10 October 2011 - 09:01 PM, said:

I know they did some... there was not the classic type of "rich having a big huge party" while the poor suffer. And it was clearly pointed out by Warriors coming to take the stuff and give it to the poor. (Saga of Star World)

But it was still never made clear in SoaSW that Uri did it out of any kind of 'class warfare' or caste system; I got the impression he was just a rich pr!ck who was out for himself... that to me is more of an economic thing than a colonial thing.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   ComanderAdia Icon

• Recruit

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:07 AM

Thank you every one for welcoming me! And thank you for your input on my topic. Though I want to ask how do you guys feel about the "new colonies map"? Given a lot of it's continuity errors?

#13 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:49 AM

I've seen many maps of the 12 Colonies, along with countless Star Wars universe ones, and there will always be errors. I believe that you should just use the one that you feel most comfortable with, and frack the rest. :)
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#14 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 10:53 AM

Is this the one that you question?

Posted Image
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#15 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 12 October 2011 - 04:29 PM

My friend JUST bought that map too. He was showing it off the other night. I love the idea of the colonies being in a multiple star system; it makes sense given all of the 'class M' planets (to borrow a Star Trek phrase). You'd need to have several stars with fairly wide 'goldilocks' zones (orbital areas around the suns where planets could support liquid water on their surfaces) to support 12 roughly earth-like planets. Frak the rest; I want that map! Maybe my friend could make copies from his and tape them together... :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 User is offline   ComanderAdia Icon

• Recruit

Posted 12 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

View PostAphrodite, on 12 October 2011 - 10:53 AM, said:

Is this the one that you question?

Posted Image

Yup that's the one : ((

#17 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 13 October 2011 - 10:17 PM

@ComanderAdia

Did you know Kal Daytron? He is was from Aquaria.
http://www.galactica...t=0

;)
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.