• Last »

The Walking Dead Season 2

#1 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:2014 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad

Posted 09 October 2011 - 07:22 AM

I figured I would put this one up for me and OT and anyone else who is ready to get their Walking Dead on as the premiere of season 2 is a week away. In the meantime you can visit AMC's website and watch some webisodes they have up.

Walking Dead

Personally I am ready for something worthwhile to return to TV.
Posted Image

#2 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 09 October 2011 - 08:26 AM

HELL YES!!!!

Last night my friends and I decided to start recording our podcasts again, and I gave Walking Dead a big plug (I even mentioned the day and time).
The good news is I got ONE other friend to start watching it. Seriously, to fellow BSG fans? This is the BEST show you're NOT watching... don't let it go down the tubes! :(

Here's hoping the loss of producer/director Frank Darabont (Green Mile, Shawshank Redemption, The Mist) doesn't hurt the show too much.
New showrunner Michael Weiner had me doubtful at first, but then I started Netflixing early "Mad Men" (I'm about 2/3rds through season 2 now) and I love it, so it's possible he can pull it out of the fire, but those are still some MIGHTY big zombie-a$$ kicking boots to fill... Darabont's stamp of high quality was all over that show.
Still think AMC did a stupid move, but oh well...

October 16th is on my calendar (normally I'd DVR it and watch it later, but this is event TV, right up there with BSG...) ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:25 AM

Have you watched any of the webisodes? I actually have NOT. Today I plan to at some point.
Posted Image

#4 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 09 October 2011 - 11:31 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 09 October 2011 - 11:25 AM, said:

Have you watched any of the webisodes? I actually have NOT. Today I plan to at some point.

This week I will; we (my wife and two of our friends) just got home from Disneyland (my first time in years) and we're still decompressing. :D I did see one of them though, and sadly, they don't feature ANY of the regular cast (or at least the one I saw did not). That kind of sucks, but at least they still take place in the same universe.

Plan to jump into those soon...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:31 AM

Impressive so far. My new BSG.
Posted Image

#6 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 08:20 AM

View Postdsgtdave, on 26 October 2011 - 05:31 AM, said:

Impressive so far. My new BSG.

Me too!
It gives me the exact same butterflies in the gut that BSG did.

Best line of the new season?
Daryl's line as he puts an arrow through the head of a moaning walker:

"Shut up."

:lol:

Carl's plotline, and the whole discovery of the house and the old veterinarian are from the graphic novels, but it came much later on. Not sure how they'll do it, though. So far, it's more exciting than the graphic novel's version. I think a lot of that has to do with Bob Kirkman aboard; getting the chance to tweak what he did in the books.
I'm still wondering how the loss of Frank Darabont will affect the show. At the Comic Con panel in July, they said they were shooting episode 7 or 8 I believe, so he was still onboard at that point. Here's hoping the (so-far awesome) quality of the show doesn't suffer; it's like trying to imagine if BSG lost Ron Moore in season 2.... :unsure:

By the way, dave; do you watch the after show? The Talking Dead, hosted by Chris Hardwicke? If not you should; it's great. They had Bob Kirkman on last week, and comedian Patton Oswalt (evidently a big fan) on last week. :thumbup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 26 October 2011 - 02:29 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 26 October 2011 - 08:20 AM, said:

Me too!
It gives me the exact same butterflies in the gut that BSG did.

Best line of the new season?
Daryl's line as he puts an arrow through the head of a moaning walker:

"Shut up."

:lol:

Carl's plotline, and the whole discovery of the house and the old veterinarian are from the graphic novels, but it came much later on. Not sure how they'll do it, though. So far, it's more exciting than the graphic novel's version. I think a lot of that has to do with Bob Kirkman aboard; getting the chance to tweak what he did in the books.
I'm still wondering how the loss of Frank Darabont will affect the show. At the Comic Con panel in July, they said they were shooting episode 7 or 8 I believe, so he was still onboard at that point. Here's hoping the (so-far awesome) quality of the show doesn't suffer; it's like trying to imagine if BSG lost Ron Moore in season 2.... :unsure:

By the way, dave; do you watch the after show? The Talking Dead, hosted by Chris Hardwicke? If not you should; it's great. They had Bob Kirkman on last week, and comedian Patton Oswalt (evidently a big fan) on last week. :thumbup:

I have not. Sadly I had to DVR this weekend's epsiodes. I would like to see it though. I saw the first one.

Took me a few to place Dr. Greene. Good actor.
Posted Image

#8 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:21 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 26 October 2011 - 02:29 PM, said:

I have not. Sadly I had to DVR this weekend's epsiodes. I would like to see it though. I saw the first one.

I just DVR the "Talking Dead" after show, so I don't miss any of it. The talkback does answer some nagging questions, but really it's just more fun to hear other people and celebrities geek out over TWD like you and I do. I feel so alone in my love for this show... I wish more of my friends would get into it. I just want to scream at them, "Remember when I got you all into BSG? Then trust me with THIS show, too."

I was the freaking pied piper with BSG; I single-handedly got my entire circle of friends into it with one VHS tape of the pilot miniseries (I tell you; Universal owes me advertising fees...). I wish I had that kind of luck with this show. Can't even my older sister to watch it (and she LOVES horror movies). Whattya do? Oh well; more for me, you, Boomer and lightning I guess... :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:42 AM

The way TS-19 started was awesome. I went back to it for some reason.
Posted Image

#10 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:22 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 27 October 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

The way TS-19 started was awesome. I went back to it for some reason.

That episode really shook me; I think it's probably my favorite of the first six. Noah Emmerich's Dr Jenner, with that haunted, far-away look in his eyes, was a brilliant performance. He stayed in my head for days after I watched that one. He was not at all a 'bad guy' or a 'mad scientist'; he actually made a lot of sense if you think about it.
I'm not sure I'd want to try to stay alive for very long in that world, either....
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:26 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 27 October 2011 - 07:22 PM, said:

That episode really shook me; I think it's probably my favorite of the first six. Noah Emmerich's Dr Jenner, with that haunted, far-away look in his eyes, was a brilliant performance. He stayed in my head for days after I watched that one. He was not at all a 'bad guy' or a 'mad scientist'; he actually made a lot of sense if you think about it.
I'm not sure I'd want to try to stay alive for very long in that world, either....

I'm glad he came to his senses and let them out though. He didn't have the right to deal them death just cause he wanted it. I agree. Killer acting.
Posted Image

#12 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 October 2011 - 07:55 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 27 October 2011 - 07:26 PM, said:

I'm glad he came to his senses and let them out though. He didn't have the right to deal them death just cause he wanted it. I agree. Killer acting.

I agree that if they want to survive, you should give them that option. But I think that Jenner (in his hopeless state of mind) was trying to spare them what he perceived as the agony of further survival in that world... and in a way, I kind of see his point. But I don't agree with keeping them there against their will; he could've been up front with them and just said, "Look, I've set this place to blow up; quick, painless death. Your choice." I wonder if they weren't panicked (by having to figure it out on their own), how many more might've stayed behind...

And I really think Noah Emmerich should've got an Emmy nomination for a guest star. That was one of the most chilling, accurate portrayals of someone losing all hope that I'd ever seen on TV...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:03 PM

I'm happy for the renewal. I didn't have an issue with post Frank episode 2.
Posted Image

#14 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 October 2011 - 08:26 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 27 October 2011 - 08:03 PM, said:

I'm happy for the renewal. I didn't have an issue with post Frank episode 2.

I think Darabont was involved for half of season 2; at Comic Con, I think they'd mentioned at the panel that they were already several episodes into season two at that point (could be wrong; I attended three panels back to back and I may be confused on this), and Darabont was still there (he was fired later on that week!). So (if my memory is accurate), it may be a while before we see a truly Darabont-less Walking Dead. But given that Kirkman and Greg Nicotero are both still onboard (as well as Gale Ann Hurd), I think the show might survive this after all (although I still think AMC was dumber than a sack of hammers for dropping him in the first place...). :cylonnono:

Darabont really put such an indelible stamp on the show right from the start. Tough to imagine the show without him, but not entirely impossible either...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:18 PM

Ya as long as Andrew Lincoln and Shane show up ya. Acting trumps writing in my opinion.
Posted Image

#16 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 October 2011 - 10:48 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 27 October 2011 - 10:18 PM, said:

Ya as long as Andrew Lincoln and Shane show up ya. Acting trumps writing in my opinion.

To me, they're sort of neck and neck; a good actor can make crappy writing seem better (Patrick Stewart on Star Trek-TNG, for example), but crappy writing can also hinder even the best of performances (Caprica). But fortunately, with Kirkman still heavily involved (as he created the whole thing), I don't think crappy writing on "Walking Dead" will be a problem for a while. As for acting? This is easily the best ensemble cast since NuBSG or Mad Men, IMO.

This show didn't have the usual 'getting to know you' tonal shifts or shakedowns common to so many genre shows. It was strong right out of the box; instant empathy with all of the characters, too. Like you have said before, it's my new BSG. :cylonclap:

I look forward to how the new farmhouse scenario plays out (in the comic books, Glen falls in love with the veterinarian's daughter). We'll see...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 28 October 2011 - 05:33 PM

Dude I hate Lori. She is an evil twisted biatch. Shane is pretty messed up too but I give him props for what he did for Rick. Lori had no right to get off so soon. I guess I am old fashioned.
Posted Image

#18 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 28 October 2011 - 07:41 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 28 October 2011 - 05:33 PM, said:

Dude I hate Lori. She is an evil twisted biatch. Shane is pretty messed up too but I give him props for what he did for Rick. Lori had no right to get off so soon. I guess I am old fashioned.

I know the show paints Lori as a good person, and I think essentially she is, but I also believe it wasn't cool for her to screw her assumed to be dead husband's best friend when it was only 60 or so days later. I know people mess up, but if that were my wife? I'd have a hell of a hard time forgiving that (assuming I even could). When it comes to fidelity (or even loyalty), I guess I'm a bit old fashioned too.

And yes, shame on Shane too; screwing your buddy's wife so quick. What the hell? Poor Rick wasn't even in the ground (in fact, he woke up!) and they're already playing the old game of "Best Man and the Merry Widow..."

But since this show is a lot like BSG, I think part of the arc will ultimately be forgiveness in light of a common cause (survival). But yeah, if my wife pulled a Lori? I'd be plenty upset. :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 28 October 2011 - 09:58 PM

I just can't look at her straight. What drives me nuts even more is how she blew off Shane when Rick came back. Like he didnt even matter. Go away Shane and don't look at me or even mention what we did. WTF?
Posted Image

#20 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:50 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 28 October 2011 - 09:58 PM, said:

I just can't look at her straight. What drives me nuts even more is how she blew off Shane when Rick came back. Like he didnt even matter. Go away Shane and don't look at me or even mention what we did. WTF?

I suppose it's part of why I love the show.... because real people in the real world frak up. :doh:
But yeah, Lori's got some issues and that's putting it VERY diplomatically. Shane is actually a better friend to Rick than she is a wife to him. And yet BOTH have screwed Rick over, that's the saddest part. Not only does poor Rick come out of a coma into a world gone to s**t, but his best friend and his own wife have betrayed him. Oh, and need I mention that his SON got shot last week???

But, I hate to say, if the show follows more of the comic books' arcs? These are not the worst of times (yet) for poor ol' Rick... :doh:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

• 8 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.