What you didn't know about me...

#1 User is offline   Nanouk Icon

• Callsign - Ocean
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Wants to get married to Michelle Forbes

Posted 23 September 2011 - 03:37 AM

So we think we know each other pretty well.
Theres always new things to explore. And thats where this topic is for.
You post something that is related to you, but perhaps not at all obvious and it may even be a little shocking to others :)
This can be anything from deep personality triats to breakfast habits! Interactions always more than welcome.

Ill start

.. My alarmclock mp3 is Johnny Cash
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:space.and the conquest of this world.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:59 AM

well lets see.I'm a spoiled brat when it comes to getting my way.always have been.I work very hard. except when alcohol or being spoiled gets in the way. quite the diva at work have to be I'm the only cylon there.I absolutely love sci fy and anything to do with space travel.love wood working it's in my blood.my father was a carpenter.and for some reason I always expect the end of civilization to be right around the corner.and last but not least.I have a big crush on Nan......

#3 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 23 September 2011 - 07:21 AM

I'm ambidextrous.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

That must come in handy...Posted Image

#5 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:38 AM

View Postsean, on 23 September 2011 - 08:30 AM, said:

That must come in handy...Posted Image

:lol:
You've no idea... :D

More OT info:

I have hazel eyes.

I've had my appendix removed.

I was an early talker/reader as a little kid (OK, with my big mouth maybe that wasn't such a surprise... :D )

I hate onions and garlic (and NO, I am not a vampire... but if I were, I wouldn't be some sparkly, big-haired, emo mother f**ker, either; I'd want to be Blade! B) :P :lol: ).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2011 - 08:43 AM

My appendix exploded when I was young.I should be dead but I'm not.there are numerous times this shell has faced disaster but survived. sometimes I wonder why....

#7 User is offline   Nanouk Icon

• Callsign - Ocean
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:31 AM

I'm selectively ambidextrous. Meaning that certain things I can only do with left, certain things only with right. I can't do things with both hands.

Other things:

I have a brother who is 4 years younger than me and very NOT like me.

The first word I learned to say as a kid was 'Ducky' (eendje).

I did the Dutch 5th grade (when youre 8) twice because I was deemed 'emotionally too unstable to go to 6th grade'.

I wanted to be an archeologist when I was a kid.
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   I Voted Baltar Icon

• Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion
  • View blog
  • Interests:Me, beer and Grace Park.

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:43 AM

I have mental health problems and I refuse to medicate. I manage things by having my own strict schedule and my own escape mechanisms. Which results in me being in a very bad mood or struggling when these aren't given consideration.

It takes a lot of concentration to be 'normal', and I can sometimes be quiet or try to isolate myself which pisses people off, but in reality - I'm trying to concentrate and lift my mood.

No ones figured any of this out yet ;)
Posted Image
James St James | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.

#9 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 23 September 2011 - 09:48 AM

I wanted to be an aeronautical engineer.but my brain is way to simple for something that complicated. learning was difficult.always felt like a stranger in a strange land when I was young....hell I still do.

#10 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 23 September 2011 - 05:10 PM

Had a goal of skydiving before I was thirty, but sadly I got into a life-altering accident (drunk driver hit my motorcycle) when I was 27 and sort of had to put the kibosh on all of that. I secretly got a little jealous when a good friend of mine did it a couple of years later (and let me watch her skydiving video) and my brother in law also did it last year, too... :doh: :(
I'm happy for them, anyway... even if secretly sad that I never got to do so myself. :doh:

I had an older half brother (from my mother's first marriage, and NO, his name wasn't Sybok) who died when I was 8 (he was almost 19). Sadly, I remember only fragments of him, things we used to do and such. It was very traumatic for me then.

Weird thing is though, his face gets more and more hard to recollect every year. :(
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:21 AM

- I have just got an iPhone so I can be on the board 24/7.

- I moved from the UK and now live in USA.

- I am self taught with Photoshop, never taken a lesson in my life.

- I work with my wife for an insurance firm (I'm temping there for a few months).

- I built my own $1600 PC.....to play with graphics.

#12 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:49 AM

Since rarely mentioned brothers seem to be a recurring theme, I have a half brother who is ten years older than me. To quote Two and a Half Men, same mother, father's a little iffy. I have nothing against him, and he has nothing against me, but for a variety of reasons, we've never really had a relationship. I haven't seen him in person in about a decade. Despite that, we have a fair bit in common. We both like Enterprise, and we're both fanatic gamers.

I am utterly addicted to spicy food and have developed a freakishly high tolerance for it. Almost nothing impresses me as far as heat goes anymore.

With each passing week, I grow more convinced that I only play WoW for the soundtrack.

I fractured my skull as a baby. By all reports, the fact that I survived with no brain damage is nothing short of miraculous. I have not suffered a broken bone or severe injury since.

I attended a private school until grade five, at which point I convinced my parents to take me out and home school me. However, it turns out that my mother is a horrible educator, and it essentially turned into five years of me doing nothing but play video games. I recently went back to school and got my GED, but my life is still recovering.

There are more novels written by me then there are people who have read those novels.

My family kept and bred fancy rats for most of my life.

I have mental health problems and I refuse to medicate.

I'm fairly convinced I also have mental health problems. I refuse to get a diagnosis because I fear giving a name to something will give it power, as well as the associated stigma, but I know I have symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder, and a lot of my emotions are simply... broken. I know how people are supposed to feel in certain situations, and I know I don't. I also have a lot of trouble understanding other people. The word "autism" has been thrown around a few times, but having researched it a bit, I don't think that's the problem.

And let's put it this way: if I'm not mentally ill, I'd be the only one in my family, at least on my mother's side. Except maybe my brother, who seems mostly normal.

#13 User is offline   Nanouk Icon

• Callsign - Ocean
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 24 September 2011 - 09:59 AM

Since were taking it to a deeper level.

I was a very messed up teen. Really, it wasn't pretty at all.
But I have always believed in the power of my own mind and my ability to control the situation.
I believed that getting better and getting happy was a choice, but that in my case I had to work very hard for it.
Kick myself in the ass and stop being a victem of my own mind. And so I did and I got better, MORE than better. I became the pink bubble of happiness I am today :)

Because Im perhaps one of the few people who really defines her life as 'happy'.
Because I am .. really happy :)

me
Posted Image
Posted Image

#14 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:10 AM

Totally agreed; happiness is largely a choice. I've been poor, and I've been well-off and I've experienced the exact same states of happiness and despair in BOTH.
So, I don't really think economic status or personal income has anything to do with it... it's a choice to be happy. To will yourself into being so. ;)

Wallowing in despair just victimizes one further. It's an emotional form of self-pleasuring (just without the increase in dopamine levels...) :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 24 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

For a looooong time, I was a bit of an 'internet-phobe' (to clarify, I think I was more afraid of being addicted to it, rather than just hating it blindly); the computer was my wife's 'thing.' I didn't really start 'warming up' to it until about 8 years ago or so... true.

Now? I can scarcely remember life before it... it's become my preferred way of doing so many things; including communicating (most of my family, friends live long distance; I stay in regular contact via emails). I almost NEVER use my cell phone anymore. My cell phone has largely become my 'In Case of Emergency Only' device...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:31 AM

I try to be happy but it's all faked for the people around me.I would really like to choose to be happy.but my brain just doesn't fathom that....

#17 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:42 AM

As much as I do believe we're masters of our own minds, I don't think anyone can choose to be happy. As I've said before, happiness is a very fleeting mental state, and ironically, we'd all probably be much happier if we weren't so concerned with being happy. That said, I'm sure we can choose to appreciate what we have more, and to sweat the small stuff less, which increases the likelihood of being happy.

#18 User is offline   Nanouk Icon

• Callsign - Ocean
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 24 September 2011 - 11:49 AM

View Postensign edwards, on 24 September 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

As much as I do believe we're masters of our own minds, I don't think anyone can choose to be happy. As I've said before, happiness is a very fleeting mental state, and ironically, we'd all probably be much happier if we weren't so concerned with being happy. That said, I'm sure we can choose to appreciate what we have more, and to sweat the small stuff less, which increases the likelihood of being happy.

I totally understand the whole paradox of feeling happy... I just don't suffer from it .. at all :P
Last wednesday was a good example. I was home alone, light a candle. Opened up my most expensive bottle of wine. Some nut and watched a cabaret show on tv.
I was complete zen and complete HAPPY. I know that happiness is a chemical state aswell. However was 'masters of our mind' (how I love this so:P), we can learn to increase the chance of chemical release.
I just have the feeling I am very intune with my body, and can perhaps more easy than others have the happiness release.

What you didn't know about me
and WILL shock you
as a little girl.....
I was into Hanson ....
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   I Voted Baltar Icon

• Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion
  • View blog
  • Interests:Me, beer and Grace Park.

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:21 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 24 September 2011 - 09:21 AM, said:

- I moved from the UK and now live in USA.

What surprises me is that I know this and it never clicks. Every time it comes up I always seem surprised. I have no idea why.

View Postensign edwards, on 24 September 2011 - 09:49 AM, said:

I'm fairly convinced I also have mental health problems. I refuse to get a diagnosis because I fear giving a name to something will give it power, as well as the associated stigma, but I know I have symptoms of obsessive compulsive disorder, and a lot of my emotions are simply... broken. I know how people are supposed to feel in certain situations, and I know I don't. I also have a lot of trouble understanding other people. The word "autism" has been thrown around a few times, but having researched it a bit, I don't think that's the problem.

My writing partner is the same - he's got a list of 'abnormal' behavior and social anxieties but he feel that if any of it's diagnosed as true, it will become fact - therefore a very real thing. Besides - to him it doesn't make a difference having a name.

I've had an odd experience lately in that a large chunk (seven years or so) of my medical history has gone missing. I was advised to get re-diagnosed but I can't see any reason why. I know whats wrong, I know how to deal with it and part of me wishes that by the medical records going missing would just mean I'm cured! Not for any resentment for the illness - but there has been some... discomfort in some situations.

View PostNanouk, on 24 September 2011 - 09:59 AM, said:

But I have always believed in the power of my own mind and my ability to control the situation.

View Postensign edwards, on 24 September 2011 - 11:42 AM, said:

I'm a little different. I have control techniques and ways to try and balance myself - but in total honesty, it's a little less spectacular and a little more Dexter Morgan. Most of the time I fake it and hope that it brings me up.

View PostNanouk, on 24 September 2011 - 11:49 AM, said:

I was into Hanson ....

Posted Image
Posted Image
James St James | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.

#20 User is offline   Nanouk Icon

• Callsign - Ocean
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 24 September 2011 - 12:28 PM

shocked xena is .. shocked

Posted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 43 Pages +
  • Last »

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.