• 2 Pages +

Star Trek Sequel Officially Delayed Will Not Make it's Summer 2012 date

#21 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:02 PM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 30 July 2011 - 06:09 PM, said:

I think it will do well. Cowboys and Aliens sounds interesting. Lots of people talking about it. I just scored free tickets to see SpyKids 4D before it is officially released in theatres. Lucky me. But I think Star Trek should make a trilogy with the cast that they have now. And not do what they did with superman and wait and wait and wait till the cast is completely uninterested in doing a sequel or a planet of the apes 10 years later out comes the sequel. Star Trek 09 was a giant success and will be again if they go out soon with a new movie.

I'm worried that if they wait too long, many of the (talented) cast will have already moved on to bigger things. Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana and Anton Yelchin all have flaming hot careers right now (and are headlining movies; Anton Yelchin is starring in the new "Fright Night" remake this summer, and Pine is set to be the next Jack Ryan), not to mention Simon Pegg already HAD a big cult following before Star Trek.

I still think the writers made a mistake NOT banging out the next two movies right after the release of ST09, and shooting them back-to-back. Everyone would've been happy. But now the seemingly indifferent production team behind new ST would rather waste time writing/producing other movies/TV shows that they could've EASILY come back to after ST's 2 and 3 were done. At their current glacial pace of ST production, I'm beginning to doubt if we ever will see a third movie of this new series.
A shame... and a wasted opportunity. :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 30 July 2011 - 08:26 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 30 July 2011 - 08:02 PM, said:

I'm worried that if they wait too long, many of the (talented) cast will have already moved on to bigger things. Chris Pine, Zoe Saldana and Anton Yelchin all have flaming hot careers right now (and are headlining movies; Anton Yelchin is starring in the new "Fright Night" remake this summer, and Pine is set to be the next Jack Ryan), not to mention Simon Pegg already HAD a big cult following before Star Trek.

I still think the writers made a mistake NOT banging out the next two movies right after the release of ST09, and shooting them back-to-back. Everyone would've been happy. But now the seemingly indifferent production team behind new ST would rather waste time writing/producing other movies/TV shows that they could've EASILY come back to after ST's 2 and 3 were done. At their current glacial pace of ST production, I'm beginning to doubt if we ever will see a third movie of this new series.
A shame... and a wasted opportunity. :cylonnono:

Oh I agree but it could be proactive caution on the studios part. Look how long we waited for Star Trek 09 to come out after Nemsis. That is the other reason, build up the anticipation so that fans never take Trek for granted like we did in the 90's. Boy were we spoiled in the 90's. Star Trek was on 7 days a week. Old and new generations. Then enter DS9 and then enter Voyager. Plus we were still getting the movies being made in the 90's. The original cast finished in 91 with Trek 6. Then officially passed that baton onto the Next Generation for the movies Generations, First Contact and Insurrection. All in the 90's and what did it add up, poor production, uncontent fans, and a studio throwing away millions of dollars while fans laid about waiting for the next movie or tv show. Enterprise brought about some credibility in the turn of the century but Nemisis killed TNG and any future movies until something new and fresh could be brought in.

But I agree that they need to pump out some movies and in a hurry because trek is only as strong as its last movie and people have short term memory problems when it comes to Trek. So what they are waiting for is beyond me. Unless they honestly feel that they can't one-up the last movie. Could that be the last movie for Trek...maybe but it doesn't make sense when it generated over $385 Million dollars at the box...toppling Trek 4 as the number one grossing movie for Trek. The budget was $150 million and it made its money back and then some. So they should be doing a sequel...several sequels...Strong script...they have a strong cast and strong production and voila another box office hit.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#23 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 31 July 2011 - 11:20 AM

I tell you, the cast will NOT all be in place by the time they get to making the third movie, and then you'll have to drag out the old hoary cliches of either:

* Recasting. Yech! They got the actor/character balance so right this time. It'd suck if they tried again...

* Written off the movies (like Kirk or Uhura just suddenly die, or get transferred or something. Again... one way ticket to Sucksville).

I just don't know why everyone involved seems to be treating ST like a second-tier franchise all of the sudden. ST09 made a vault of money for CBS/Paramount, and they're acting like it's the embarrassing uncle who drinks too much and pulls down his trousers in front of the children at parties...

Give ST some respect! And stop lolligagging on stupid vanity projects ("Super 8" "Hawaii 5-0" and "Cowboys & Aliens"; I'm looking at ALL of you!), and get to work, dammit!
You're sitting on a gold mine, Paramount. Stop treating it like Bandini mountain.... :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2013 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones

Posted 31 July 2011 - 12:20 PM

In that thread I posted some time ago about the top 10 Star Trek projects that were never made one of them was an Enterprise movie (as in based on the Enterprise series) which was scrapped in exchange for the JJA ST09 movie. After finishing out season 4 I find that I would really have liked to see Enterprise on the big screen to see where they could take it. I still would. Anything to compensate for the disaster that was TATV.
Posted Image

#25 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 31 July 2011 - 02:07 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 31 July 2011 - 12:20 PM, said:

In that thread I posted some time ago about the top 10 Star Trek projects that were never made one of them was an Enterprise movie (as in based on the Enterprise series) which was scrapped in exchange for the JJA ST09 movie. After finishing out season 4 I find that I would really have liked to see Enterprise on the big screen to see where they could take it. I still would. Anything to compensate for the disaster that was TATV.

If you can, you might want to check out the awesome book, "The Romulan Wars: Under the Raptor's Wing." My only b!tch is that it ended on a cliffhanger and there's been no more in the series. But it fills in a lot of blanks about Enterprise's role in the Romulan war, as well as aftermath from the original Kobyashi Maru incident (which later became the 'no-win' test at Starfleet Academy). And no, Trip is NOT dead either... turns out it was a ruse by section 31. Long (but good) story....
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 01 August 2011 - 10:13 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 29 July 2011 - 11:22 AM, said:

For you, I imagine it's kind of like hearing that Al-Qaeda's having financial difficulties, or that Hell's A/C is on the fritz again... :lol:

I wouldn't go quite that far, but it is sort of a warm and fuzzy feeling inside. :P

View Postobsolete toaster, on 31 July 2011 - 02:07 PM, said:

If you can, you might want to check out the awesome book, "The Romulan Wars: Under the Raptor's Wing." My only b!tch is that it ended on a cliffhanger and there's been no more in the series. But it fills in a lot of blanks about Enterprise's role in the Romulan war, as well as aftermath from the original Kobyashi Maru incident (which later became the 'no-win' test at Starfleet Academy). And no, Trip is NOT dead either... turns out it was a ruse by section 31. Long (but good) story....

I haven't read that one, but I did read the earlier parts of the series ("Last Full Measure," "The Good That Men Do," and "Kobayashi Maru"), and they were pretty bad. One tiny step up from a cheap Trip/T'pol shipper's attempt to undue "TATV." I strongly recommend avoiding these books.

Of course, if you want a Romulan War fix, there's always Dispatches from the Romulan War over at TU... :innocent:

#27 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 01 August 2011 - 11:31 PM

Nope, that wasn't a plug. No sirree.... :P :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.