GalacticaBBS: Battlestar Urantia - The Revised Version - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Battlestar Urantia - The Revised Version

#1 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:nuBSG, writing, Celtic folk music.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 02:31 AM

Well, as the thread title suggests, I have revised the Battlestar Urantia story, and have asked Zipper to delete the old thread, which he was kind enough to do. So I will soon begin posting the new and improved version of the story here. What is different? Well, for starters, in the original version of the story, the Urantia was a Valkyrie-Class Battlestar. I soon realized however, when I completed the original version of the story, that there was no way in hell that a small Valkyrie could have ever survived what Galactica went through in BSG, let alone survive what Urantia went through, in BSU. So, the Urantia is now a Raven-Class Battlestar, as you can see in the CGI production model thread upforum.

Also, there are some new characters, and new plot twists, and the whole story feels more realistic, and more RDM nuBSG-like. Since I never finished posting the original version here, you don't know yet how the story ends, but those of you who DID read the whole thing on the Trek BBS know how everything is eventually tied in to the ending of BSG, and how almost all unanswered questions about BSG are answered in BSU. Well, I have gone even further, and answered ALL the mysteries of BSG. And I have found a way to introduce a character from TOS BSG into the nuBSG 'verse in a realistic and believable way... Count Iblis.

So, everything will be better this time around, and I invite you to read and enjoy the new and improved Battlestar Urantia, coming very soon.

- BruceAdama
Posted Image

#2 Guest_Farquard_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 24 February 2011 - 08:44 PM

Looking forward to the new story...

#3 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat

Posted 25 February 2011 - 12:43 AM

In the aftermath of the Cylon attack on the 12 Colonies,
two Battlestars jumped away, to avoid destruction...

One Battlestar headed for the mythical home of the
13th Tribe of Man... a planet called Earth.

The other Battlestar, having jumped far beyond the red
line of known space, set a course back to Colonial
space... on a mission of revenge... vowing to gather
together the remains of the Colonial Fleet, and mount
an all-out, final offensive, against the Cylons.

This is the story of that lone Battlestar...

Battlestar Urantia.

--- --- ---

BATTLESTAR URANTIA

Created, Developed, & Written By: BruceAdama

Based Upon "Battlestar Galactica" Created By: Ronald D. Moore & David Eick

Original "Battlestar Galactica" Created By: Glen A. Larson

- FOR THE FANS -

--- --- ---

The Cylons were created by Man.

They were created to make life easier on the Twelve Colonies.

And then the day came when the Cylons decided to kill their masters.

Today is that day.

CAPRICA CITY CIVIC CENTER - BAY QUAY, CAPRICA CITY, CAPRICA

The bright noontime sun filtered through the lush green trees that lined both sides of the Caprica City street, as the city's PA system played the Colonial Anthem loud and proud, for the whole city to hear, as row after row of Colonial banners hung from the street poles, gently fluttering in the breeze, over the assembled masses of citizens who had gathered here for the Colonial Forces Day Parade.

As the proud Colonial Anthem played, a group of Colonial officers passed by, followed by a couple Landrams, as the next parade group began to approach...

The citizens began to look in the direction of the next group, down the street, as the area was filled with the sounds of dozens upon dozens of heavy metal clanking sounds, accompanied by sounds that resembled a medium-pitch drone, almost like a robotic dove.

As the next group grew nearer, the crowd reacted with looks and gasps of awe, as a large unit of Cylon Centurions came marching proudly down the street, holding their massive rifles in perfect parade formation, as their shiny chrome armor gleamed in the sunlight. Suddenly, the lead Cylon stopped, prompting the others behind it to stop as well. The lead Cylon was different than the others. This Cylon had shiny golden armor.

The citizenry grew silent, as all eyes watched the Cylons with utter fascination, wondering what the shiny robots were going to do next.

The gold leader Cylon faced from side to side for a moment, taking in the sight of the gathered masses, as its red scanning light roved from left to right, making a loud droning sound. Finally, after a long silence, the golden robot spoke, filling the area with its loud and booming metallic voice.

"Present arms!" it commanded.

Instantly, all the other chrome Cylons raised their rifles in aim, with perfect robotic precision, as in unison, they all replied to the leader's order.

"By your command!" they all called out.

This brought a round of enthusiastic applause from the public, as everyone began to clap and cheer, in awe of the what the Cylons could do. They could never have anticipated what would come next...

The gold leader Cylon took one last look to his left, before giving the next order to his Centurions.

"Exterminate!" he called out.

Before anyone realized what was about to happen, every Cylon, the gold leader included, moved to aim their rifles at a given target, and instantly opened fire, shooting at the thousands of citizens gathered at the sides of the street, as instantly, the masses began to scramble, running for their lives, as the people yelled and screamed in terror, the sounds of screaming and dying humans joined by the sounds of Cylon gunfire.

For minutes, the carnage continued, as the Cylons relentlessly hunted down the humans to the very last, until the street was littered with the fallen bodies of hundreds of human men, women, and children, as the now bullet-ridden Colonial banners fluttered in the breeze.

Finally, all the humans had been killed, and one of the chrome Centurions stepped into view, and addressed the gold leader.

"All human targets have been exterminated. By your command." it reported, as it again faced away from the gold leader, as its red scanning light moved to and fro.

BATTLESTAR URANTIA

Episode One - "Leap of Faith"

The gray fog was thick and heavy, as it blanketed everything in sight, including the dense forest in the foreground. The trees of the forest were silhouetted dark gray forms, in the thick mist. Only one thing broke the fog... a single wash of red light, that roved from left to right, washing over everything in sight, as it moved from side to side. Suddenly, the sounds of leaves rustling could be heard, from the depths of the forest.

As the rustling sounds grew closer, a shadowy form emerged from the forest, and into the open. It was a man. It was an archer.

The man looked around with caution, as if on alert. Finally, the archer reached for an arrow, and placed the arrow upon his bow, preparing to launch the projectile. As he positioned the arrow, he brought both bow and arrow up in aim, aiming towards the sky.

Finally, he let go, and the arrow sprang free from the bow, sailing with great speed up into the thick fog of the sky, vanishing into the mists.

Suddenly, at the very spot where the arrow had vanished, the fog was broken, and the clouds parted, in a perfect circle, revealing a clear nighttime starscape.

As the many stars in the night sky slowly twinkled, one star in particular, began to surge in brightness, almost as if it had gone supernova, as its light filled everything, enveloping the entire vista in brilliant white light.

*GASP!*

The sound of a man gasping was heard, from within the total darkness, as suddenly, a table lamp was activated, illuminating a man's hand, now resting on the nightstand, as the owner of the hand slowly woke from a restless night's sleep.

BATTLESTAR URANTIA - BSG-53

COMMANDING OFFICER'S QUARTERS

52 YEARS LATER

Wearily, the man removed his hand from the nightstand, and began to get up in his bed, bringing his hands to his face, to wipe the sweat and sleep away, as he looked down to the floor.

The man removed his hands, revealing the face of a worn and tested man... an officer who had seen many things in his life and his career. His face held valleys of wrinkles and pockmarks, and his eyes were tired. His once-black hair was now sporting streaks of gray in places. He glanced over at the wall clock, and at the sight of the current time, let out a long sigh, as he looked to the floor.

"Frak." he whispered to himself, as slowly, he got up from his bed, as he began to walk towards the head, to shower and get dressed.

The mighty Raven-Class Battlestar sailed through space, as Vipers flew CAP alongside the massive vessel.

URANTIA CORRIDOR

Commander Tyler Standish walked through the long corridor leading to the CIC, as a few crewmembers passed by him, pausing for a moment to salute him, as he returned their salutes, as he made his way to the CIC.

Commander Standish had commanded the Urantia for many years now, but somehow he still felt awkward around the regular crewmembers. Ever since someone had pointed out that he bore a slight resemblance to one Commander William Adama, there had been a running joke in the fleet that Standish and Adama were brothers. Tyler Standish never appreciated that joke, and was quite put off by it. He was his own man, and he disliked being compared to someone else. He may resemble Adama, and his command style and personality might be similar, but he was not Adama... he was Tyler Standish.

Finally, he reached the hatch to CIC, and paused in front of it, as the Marine on guard looked to the Commander, saluting him.

"Sir!" the Marine greeted.

"Good day, Corporal Jonski." Standish softly replied, as the Marine opened the door for him.

All eyes looked to Standish, as he entered the command center of the mighty Battlestar Urantia, looking at the crew busy at work on all four levels of the CIC deck, as the large DRADIS cluster hung over the command table, filling the room with its ghostly whining sound, as the XO looked up at Standish, saluting.

"Commander on deck!" the XO announced, as everyone paused, and stood at attention, saluting Standish.

"As you were." Standish replied, as he arrived at the command table, standing beside his XO.

"You're up early, Tyler... trouble sleeping?" the XO asked.

"You could say that." Standish replied, softly, as he began to look over SITREP reports on the table.

"That's the third time this week... sure you don't want to try and get some rest again?" the XO gently asked.

"I'll be fine... just need some coffee." Standish began, looking to the XO. "What's new?" he asked.

"We're in Picon space... on final approach to the Picon Fleet Yards. The Itu Janal is due to arrive in about fifteen minutes, with our new tyluim supply. And you had a message from the Battlestar Celestia... Commander Chermak reports that the yard teams have finished the systems upgrade on his ship, and are ready for us, when we dock." the XO reported.

Standish looked over the paper containing the note, and offered a small smile, as he looked to the XO.

"Very well... is our own network offline yet?" Standish asked.

"Aye, Sir." the XO replied.

"Very well... let me know as soon as we're docking." Standish stated, as he gathered up a few documents, and placed them in a manila folder, tucking it under his arm. "I'm goin' to get me some frakking coffee. You've got the deck." Standish replied with a small smile, as he began to walk away, leaving the XO to look after him.

"Aye, Sir." the XO said, as he turned back to face the command table, glancing up at the DRADIS, and sighing.

UPPER PORT HANGAR DECK

The sounds of crews working on various Vipers and Raptors filled the vast hangar deck, as Commander Standish walked down the steps to the deck floor, a cup of coffee in his left hand. As he reached the main floor, the Deck Chief spotted him, and stopped to salute.

"Commander on deck!" he called out, as everyone else paused and also offered a salute.

"Carry on." Standish replied, as he returned the salute, nodding to the Chief, as he walked towards a line of twelve old Mk. II Vipers. These were not standard Colonial Vipers, however...

These Mk. II's were painted in black and gold, and together, comprised Urantia's performance air squadron, known as the "Starblazers". From time to time, the Starblazers would participate in a Colonial air show, to show the public what the Viper pilots were capable of, and what wonders they could perform with their planes. The next air show was only two weeks away, on Virgon, and Urantia's CAG had been spending all of her off-duty hours in the hangar bay, preparing the old Mk. II's for their next performance.

Commander Standish paused in front of the first Mk. II, taking a drink from his coffee, as the person working underneath the craft suddenly realized that someone was standing over her, and began to appear from under the Viper, looking to the Commander.

"Frak... Sir... how long have you been standing there, watching me?" she asked.

The woman was quite young, and had a tomboyish quality to her. She wore long black hair, that fell to just below her shoulders. This was Urantia's CAG, Grae Azaire. She looked to the Commander in a way that told him she was playing with him.

"Good morning, BatCat." Standish replied, using her callsign. "What's the word?" he asked.

"All these old birds are ready to go, Sir... just this one frakking guidance system is frakking with me for half the night. If the Chief would spare an extra set of hands to help me, I'd probably have been done by now." she said.

"I'll talk to the Chief." Standish said, taking another sip of coffee, as he offered a small smile, as he looked over to the other side of the bay, where the newest arrivals were... a row of twenty neatly parked Mk. VI Vipers. "What about them... have the pilots all had a chance to take them out on CAP yet?" he asked.

"Aye... they're here for refueling... they were out two shifts ago. Nice birds... if only our other birds ran as smoothly." Grae replied.

"Very well." Standish began. "I'll let you get back to work. Don't forget you have CAP in five hours... make sure you get cleaned up before then." he added.

"Aye, Sir." Grae replied, offering a quick salute, as Standish walked away.

As Grae began to walk back under her Viper, she turned, as she heard the Commander's voice, shouting out to the Chief...

"Chief! An extra set of hands over there!" Standish shouted, firmly.

"Aye, Sir!" the Chief called out, in reply.

The exchange made Grae smile, as she once again ducked under the nose of the Viper, to get back to work.

- TO BE CONTINUED -
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat

Posted 21 March 2011 - 12:24 AM

- CONTINUED -

PICON - STAR SYSTEM CYRANNUS

The blue ocean world sat silent in space, dotted by wispy white clouds.

INTER-COLONIAL SPACEPORT - BARINTHUS BAY

The large complex sat at the edge of the edge of the peninsula cape, as a trio of Pan-Galactic liners sat docked at their gangways, as various small fishing boats quietly drifted and sailed in the bay before them.

Inside the terminal, a man was saying goodbye to his wife and two small children, as the wife and kids prepared to board their waiting flight. He embraced each of them, before withdrawing, as he looked to his wife.

"Remember to call me as soon as you're spaceborne, and when you get to Delphi. Do the kids have everything? I'll call you every night, to check up on you guys so--" he began, as the wife cut him off...

"Relax, honey... the world's not going to end, just because we're going to Caprica for a few days... what, are you afraid Picon won't be here when we get back?" she laughed, as she moved to lead her kids to the gangway to the flight, as her husband looked after them.

INTERSUN LUXURY LINER "STAR OF PICON"

The sleek white ringship held orbit over Picon as a few small cargo and refueling vessels sailed past it, doing their runs from the Picon Fleet Yards to the planet below.

CAPTAIN'S CABIN

The Captain of the Star of Picon drummed his fingernails on his wooden desk as he faced the person sitting across from him... and he was not amused. Finally with a sigh, he initiated the conversation...

"Look," he began, "You're exceedingly popular with our guests, and you've brought a lot of revenue to this ship. But this latest incident was... inexcusable." the Captain stated.

The man sitting across from the Captain met his gaze, and began to offer his explanation, in an uncomfortably loud and high-pitched raspy voice.

"What, I got lost in the moment... I might be willing to admit that much." the man began, "But even so, I think most of the people in the audience loved it... I left them speechless... they were without speech." he offered.

The Captain shook his head slightly.

"They were speechless because you left a nightclub full of people in morbid shock." he began, "And didn't you consider that there were children in that audience at all? A whole nightclub full of families, and you launched into a torrid tirade of a "joke" about an agent, a family, and a pig, all performing any number of lewd and unspeakable sexual acts on each other!" the Captain added, sternly.

"What, that? The Socialite's Joke? I that what this is about?" the man asked the Captain, as the Captain involuntarily winced at the raspy shrillness and volume of the man's voice. "I'll have you know, Sir, that that joke is a classic... passed down through generations of comedians..." the man tried to offer, as the Captain interrupted him.

"Enough!" the Captain sternly stated. "Look, bottom line is that this is your final warning, and your last chance to clean up your act, and get things right. This is a luxury cruise ship, not some back-alley bar in the seedy parts of Caprica City. We have families and children on this ship at all times, and you will conduct yourself accordingly, and present our audiences with family-friendly humor. If you cannot do this... then maybe the Star of Picon should consider looking elsewhere for its entertainment needs. Is this understood?" he asked.

The comedian looked up to the Captain with only his eyes, as he silently nodded.

"Yes, Sir." he offered, as he got up, and began to walk away, as the Captain called out to him again, causing the comedian to pause.

"By the way..." the Captain asked, "How did you get your stage name... "One-Shot"... I'm trying to figure out the meaning behind it..." he offered, as One-Shot looked back to him.

"I came up with it myself..." One-Shot began, "The idea is that one shot is all it'll take me to get my audiences laughing." he explained.

"I see..." the Captain began, nodding, "Well, it seems as now it has another meaning... this may be your one shot at saving your comedy career." he added, as One-Shot turned away from him, grimacing as he walked out of the Captain's cabin.

COLONIAL LINER "OCEANA ZEPHYR"

The light and medium blue fish-like liner slowly sailed through space above Picon.

PASSENGER CABIN

The many rows of seats were occupied by nothing but children of grade-school age, who were all busy chatting amongst themselves, as a female member of the flight crew emerged from behind the blue curtain that led to the forward compartment.

As she cleared her throat, the children began to quiet down, as they looked up to her, as she began to address them.

"Excuse me, children, but I wanted to let you all know that we are three hours away from Caprica, and will be landing at the Delphi port at 5:30 Caprica City time. I know it's been a long trip from Virgon, and you're all anxious to see the museum at Delphi, but just hang in there for a few more hours... the cabin crew will be out to serve lunch soon. Thank you." she stated, as she retreated back behind the curtain, as the children resumed their conversations with one another.

The proud Battlestar sat in its berth, as various Raptors and fuel craft sailed by.

CIC

The hatch to CIC opened once again, letting Commander Standish back into the room, as he walked over to the command table with a pair of folders containing papers tucked under his arm, as he set them down on the table and opening them to study them.

"Get your coffee, Sir?" the XO asked, looking at Standish from the other side of the table.

"That I did, Colonel Dykstra... that I did." Standish softly replied, not taking his eyes off the papers.

Just then, out of nowhere, both men were interrupted by the DRADIS proximity alarm, as Standish looked up to the monitors just in time to see two dozen new contacts appear all at once, as his Officer of the Watch, a young blonde woman, relayed the new data...

"Sir, we've got at least thirty unidentified DRADIS contacts... they just jumped in off the far side of Picon." she said, looking to Standish.

CYLON BASESTAR GROUP

Almost instantly, the group of over thirty Cylon Basestars began to rapidly drift closer to the globe of Picon, while at the same time, the large double-Y-shaped vessels began to rotate upon their axes, until both Y-sections were perfectly aligned.

CIC

Standish's eyes were glued to the DRADIS, as his Officer of the Watch continued to feed him new information...

"Sir, I just can't identify these things... whatever they are, they're big... I'd say they could be Basestars, Sir." she offered.

That was all Standish needed to hear, as he turned to face the XO, a serious look on his face.

"Get us the frak out of dock... once we're clear of the yard, launch everything that can fly." he ordered, as the XO nodded, picking up the phone from the command table and activating the intercom.

"This is the XO... all hands, Action Stations, Action Stations... set Condition One throughout the ship. This is not a drill... repeat, this is not a drill! All pilots, report to your planes!" he announced, as he set the phone back down, and looked to Standish. "All decks at Condition One, Sir. Viper scramble is underway." he reported, as Standish looked back to him.

"Bring all portside defenses to bear on the nearest Basestar group... have the gun batteries target the axis point where the two saucers meet!" Standish called out to the Tactical Officer.

"What saucers, Sir?" the Tactical Officer replied, as Standish turned to face him, wearing a look of morbid confusion.

PICON FLEET SHIPYARDS

The large Battlestar Urantia was now almost completely out of the dock, back into open space, as it began to angle back in a reverse course, to face the distant Cylon Base Ships directly, as the lone Battlestar Celestia sat in her berth, defenseless, just as a set of two long and smoky missile contrails hurtled towards the Celestia, smashing directly into her hull, unhindered.

The helpless Celestia instantly broke in two, as the ship was consumed by fiery explosions, as it broke apart, just as an entire squadron of Cylon Raiders swooped into view, strafing the dockyard as they flew by.

CIC

Commander Standish and the XO looked up at the DRADIS, as the Tactical Officer called out some new information, and the Condition One klaxon blared.

"Sir, Battlestar Celestia's been destroyed, and we've just lost all radio contact with the Fleet Yard, as well as all Fleet Yard Vipers... it's as if someone flipped a switch, and shut them down! I can't raise Picon Control!" the young man reported.

The XO looked to Standish, worried.

"Sir, if the Cylons are microjamming our fleet..." he began, as Standish shot a look at him, before turning to face the Tactical Officer.

Commander Standish thought about what to do next, as he finally turned to face his XO again.

"The only reason we're still here seems to be because the Cylons can't shut us down yet." Standish began. "But there's no frakking way we can hold up against the Cylon fleet on our own. We're getting the frak outta here." he stated, as the XO looked to him.

"We don't have enough time to calculate a proper hyperlight jump!" the XO exclaimed, as Standish just looked at him.

"Then don't plot one." Standish offered, with a look of serious intent.

"Sir?" the XO asked.

"You heard me, Colonel Dykstra... we're getting the frak outta here... get me some FTL coordinates now... do it!" Standish ordered.

"Aye, Sir!" the XO replied, just as the ship was rocked violently with a weapons hit, prompting Standish to look up to the DRADIS again.

In space, the mighty ship unleashed the full might of its portside defenses, sending dozens upon dozens of shimmering silvery streams of ammunition tracers lancing out into space, towards the Cylon fleet, speckling the area with hundreds of small flak bursts and explosions, just as wings of Cylon Raiders enetred into view, screaming towards the large Battlestar.

CIC

Standish looked ahead, a serious and grim look on his face as he looked up. This was it... the Cylon fleet was here, and the Cylons had obviously just thrown the armistice to the wind. Battlestar Celestia had been destroyed, and the fleet yards were under nuclear attack. For all he knew, he was standing on the deck of the last remaining Battlestar. He looked around the deck, at his crew, as the Officer of the Watch called out some new data to him, just as the ship was struck hard by a Cylon weapons hit.

"Sir! Our FTL is spooled up, but we still don't have a set of viable coordinates!" she reported, looking to him.

"Frak that... I'm ordering an open-ended FTL jump! We're getting out of here... now!" Standish called, as the blonde woman and the rest of the crew looked to him, absorbing the impact of the order. "Send out a general-band message, to any and all Colonial ships in the area... transmit whatever coordinates we have, and tell them to evac with us!" he called.

"Aye, Sir!" the woman replied, working her console, just as the entire ship was struck with a violent impact, and the XO was knocked off his feet, as a nearby console exploded into flame, sending a large panel flying right into him, with blinding speed.

As a stunned Commander Standish watched, the Officer of the Watch rushed to the XO, to try and extinguish the flame from the panel that was on him, Colonel Hunt writhed in pain under the onslaught. Finally, his movements stopped, and the blonde woman looked to Standish, and shook her head... the XO was dead.

Standish was in shock, as the ship was again hit hard, and people struggled to retain their balance. Finally, the Officer of the Watch rushed back to her station, and shouted out some new data to the Commander.

"SIR! They're launching radiological missiles! Nukes inbound!" she shouted, as Standish looked up to the DRADIS, his eyes full of concern.

CYLON BASESTAR GROUP

The five closest Cylon Basestars finally entered firing range, and let loose, firing a volley of nuclear missiles at Urantia.

The five Cylon missiles shot through the black of space, long white contrails of smoke trailing them, tracing the path to the Battlestar.

Just as all five Cylon missiles were about to impact with Urantia, a ring of brilliant golden light washed over the entire ship, vanishing it from sight, leaving only empty space in its place, as all five missiles shot through the space where a split-second earlier, a Battlestar had been, as a group of Cylon Raiders followed the missiles.

- TO BE CONTINUED -
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:10 PM

- CONTINUED -

With a loud flash and snapping sound the form of the Battlestar Urantia emerged from FTL in a slight tilting drift, in the middle of unknown space as a dozen smaller civilian ships dotted the space close to the Battlestar.

CIC

All eyes were on the DRADIS as Commander Standish waited for the Officer of the Watch to call out the readings.

"Twelve DRADIS contacts... all reading as Colonial." she began. "Looks like a few civilian ships were able to evac and follow us through." she stated as Standish looked to her.

"Types and I.D. of ships?" Standish asked, as the woman worked her panel.

"Getting ident codes now, Sir." she began. "Mostly passenger liners and transport ships... the Star of Picon, two Pan-Galactic liners... flights 22 and 840, the Oceana Zephyr, Oasis Traveler, Planet Express, Arbella, Speedwell, Mola Taru, Telesto, and two tylium ships... the Itu Janal, a tanker, and the Jaht Bhatal, a refinery ship." she reported, looking to Standish.

Standish merely nodded as he absorbed the information. He was glad that others were able to escape with them and was thankful to the Gods that a couple fuel ships made it out, but he was hoping that another military vessel would have made it out as well.

"Very well..." Standish began. "Contact the Captains of those other ships and have them assume a holding pattern for now. Inform them I will be contacting them shortly with new information. In the meantime... we need to use this time to lick our wounds and get our bearings... find out where the frak we are." he added, looking to the Tactical Officer, who worked his station before returning Standish's look.

"Sir... I'm not sure where we are... all I know is that there are no familiar star patterns or constellations out there... we seem to have jumped into unknown space beyond the red line. Considering we didn't really plan out any set of coordinates, it's a miracle we didn't jump into a star or planet... that's the problem with open-ended jumps... there's a huge uncertainty factor." the young man reported.

Standish looked at the young officer and merely nodded sympathetically, understanding the circumstances of the situation.

"Indeed... you did a good job Mister Hindri." he began. "But now that we're here... wherever "here" is... begin trying to establish a star fix... see if you can find us a waypoint to use to plot a course back to the Colonies." Standish ordered as Hindri nodded.

"Aye, Sir." he obediently replied, getting back to work as Standish looked back to the Officer of the Watch.

"I want a Raptor scouting party to do a recon of the immediate area... see if they can help Mister Hindri find out where we are. In the meantime, I'm going to walk the ship... you have the deck." Standish stated as he began to walk away from the command table and towards the hatch to CIC.

"Aye, Sir!" the blonde woman replied, looking after the Commander as he left.

The mighty vessel sailed through open space, a small ragtag group of twelve civilian ships tagging along behind her.

COMMANDER STANDISH'S CABIN

Commander Standish sat at his desk looking over reports of damage incurred during the Cylon attack as his Officer of the Watch stood across from the desk in front of him at attention, waiting for the Commander's reaction.

Standish turned one last page over as he reached for a glass of brandy and took a drink, grimacing for a second at the strength of the drink before looking up to the blonde woman.

"We lost two Vipers, and somehow managed to take on one new one... one of Celestia's birds..." he began, looking up to the woman.

"Aye, Sir." she began, her face still hidden from view, facing the Commander. "The pilot said in his report that his Viper's CNP system was down at the time of the attack. He was flying CAP when the Cylons jumped in. When he saw we were prepping to jump away he made a mad dash for us." she replied.

"Well... it's a good thing he did. We got lucky. Our losses could have been much worse. Were we able to get anymore information about how hard we were hit from any of the fleet's comm traffic?" Standish asked, looking up to face the woman as the light from his desk lamp reflected like fire in his glasses.

"The ships of the civilian fleet are still sending us copies of all their comm traffic logs but so far we've been able to determine that comm traffic at the time of the attack just before everything went black indicates that the Cylons struck with force at every world. One message originating from Virgon reported that the Battlestars Carillon and Morrigan were totally destroyed without having gotten so much as a single shot off." she replied.

Standish nodded, a sober look on his face as he looked down to the desk before getting up from his seat and walking around to meet the Officer of the Watch.

"Well, it would seem that the Cylons managed to incapacitate our systems network. Spread the word... we're switching to manual control for all computerized systems, both on this ship and fleetwide.. that means the Chief is to rip out the advanced avionics from those new birds." he stated, looking the blonde woman in the eyes. "One other thing... I appreciate the way you handled the situation with the XO back there... we were in a crisis situation and things were chaotic. You cut through all that and snapped into action to help the XO and maintain a clear and level head. That is what I need... the kind of person I need at my side... someone who can cut through all the clutter and keep focused... get the job done." he added.

"Sir?" the woman asked.

Commander Standish reached into his left pants pocket with his left hand and produced a small black jewelry box, lifting it up before the woman and opening it, revealing XO's pips.

"What say you... D'Anna Biers, will you be my new XO?" he asked, softly, as he extended his right hand for her to shake.

D'Anna just looked at the box with the pips in it with utter disbelief. She was beside herself with shock and surprise... this was the last thing she had expected. Finally she allowed a small smile to escape to the surface and looked to the Commander, taking the box from him with her left hand as she shook his hand with her right, giving her answer.

"Aye, Sir... I'd be honored. Thank you, Sir." she stated.

"You did your job good." Standish began. "Congratulations, Colonel Biers. You're out of uniform." he added.

"In that case, Commander... request permission to be dismissed?" she asked.

"Permission granted, Colonel. Dismissed. Put those on... and then tell Mister Hindri that he's Officer of the Watch now." Standish said.

With that, D'Anna straightened up, and saluted the Commander who returned her salute as she then turned to leave the room, leaving Standish to look after her as she left.

- TO BE CONTINUED -
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:11 PM

- CONTINUED -

The ship sailed through space leading her modest ragtag fleet along as Vipers flew CAP alongside the ships of the fleet.

A sea of bodies filled the Commander's quarters as the various Captains of the fleet ships stood together facing the Commander's desk, all shouting questions and remarks over the other, creating a sea of chaos.

Finally Standish could stand no more, and with an aggravated look on his face rose up from his chair and stood straight, facing the fleet Captains and calling out to silence the group.

"That's enough!" he barked, as everyone instantly began to quiet down and give Standish their full attention. "Now I know the past couple days have been very confusing and trying for all of you... so allow me to tell you what we know so far." he stated. "Two days ago, the Cylons broke the armistice, and launched a surprise attack on our worlds and our fleet, and inflicted substantial damage to our forces. The Picon Fleet Headquarters has been totally destroyed. During the course of the attack, I made the decision to initiate an open-ended FTL jump away from the combat zone, and sent out the call for any able ship to follow us. Here we are. We are in unknown space, and Mister Hindri is working to find a point of reference we can use to negotiate a course back to the Twelve Colonies. In the meantime... we should all be prepared for extended stays on our respective ships." he said.

Instantly the crowd erupted into questions again, the dozens of voices overlapping for supremacy.

"Any word on the Troy or Oasis settlements?" one woman called out.

"I heard President Adar is dead!" one man shouted.

URANTIA CORRIDOR

Unknown to the Commander, his CAG, Grae Azaire, was standing right outside his open cabin door listening in to the conversation inside. When she heard those people say that the fleet and the President could be gone she felt sick in her stomach and began to feel an emptiness inside as her face wore a look of silent shock and sorrow. She quickly turned around and began to run to her bunk.

Standish looked upon the crowd with frustration as he called out again, to silence them all.

"HEY!" he shouted, as once again everyone grew silent, looking to him. "For one, we don't know exactly how hard we were hit or even why. But until we have facts pointing to the contrary, there is no reason to assume that the whole of the Colonial Fleet was taken out... we should assume that a handful of Battlestars did somehow manage to survive. We should also not assume that President Adar was killed. In fact, I am hopeful that once the Cylons reached Caprica, that the bulk of our forces were able to stop them, or at least inflict serious damage to them, slowing them down. It is because of this that I plan to set course back to Caprica once we have a set of coordinates, and seek out and gather any remaining Colonial forces, to mount an all-out final offensive against the Cylons." he began. "In the meantime, nothing will be served by operating on rumors. I prefer to operate based on what we know... based on facts." he added.

"What about food and water? We are a fleet of liners and transports... and one tanker. There are no agro ships here." one woman stated, as many others looked to her.

"Yeah... and what about when our tylium supply runs dry? What will we do for fuel?" a man called out.

Standish looked at the people before him, wondering how to best answer those points. He was hoping that they had not jumped too far away from the Twelve Colonies, but the truth was that he was not sure just how far beyond the red line they had ended up. It could very well be a very long journey home... if there was still a home waiting for them, by the time they got there. He didn't want to give anyone a false sense of hope, yet at the same time, he didn't want to offer up any false promises either, or create a sense of panic or despair.

"Yes, that is true." he began, soberly. "However, nobody should panic... we have Raptor teams exploring the area, and we will continue to send out Raptor recons at every point we jump. We will be on the constant lookout for any worlds with food or water. In the meantime, we should ration our intake. We have reserves on Urantia that we will be happy to distribute throughout the fleet. That is all for now... I will inform you all of any updates as I get them. Thank you." he added, looking to the two Marines guarding the entrance, prompting the two Marines to begin escorting the group of people out of the cabin as Standish walked back to his chair and sat back down behind his desk as he looked down, wiping his face with his hands with a big sigh.

GRAE AZAIRE'S DUTY LOCKER

Urantia's CAG sat on her bunk beside her locker, her face and hair moist with sweat as she shook slightly, looking to her wrist. Her right hand held a small pocket knife.

Grae looked as if she was trying with all her might to cry, but the tears somehow refused to come. Finally in desperation, she closed her eyes and bit down on her lip, bringing the knife to her left wrist.

She bit down harder on her lip as the blade sliced through the flesh on her wrist, causing the warm blood underneath to flow to the surface and run down her arm.

PAN-GALACTIC FLIGHT # 840

The white and blue fishlike liner sailed alongside its "twin", Pan-Galactic #22, among the other ships of the fleet.

PASSENGER CABIN

Almost all was dead quiet on the liner now, as it was the middle of the "night" and most of the passengers were sleeping as Commander Standish walked through the isle to the rear of the cabin, where an elderly man in black was sitting alone.

Standish paused in front of the man, prompting the man to look up at the Commander.

"Yes?" the man asked.

"Are you a Priest? Are you Brother Cavil?" Standish asked.

"I am..." Cavil began. "Do I know you?" he added, as Standish sat down beside him.

"No." Standish began. "But I need to talk to someone, and my XO suggested I see you." he added.

"Your XO?" Cavil asked. "Does he have a name?"

"She... D'Anna Biers." Standish replied.

At the sound of D'Anna's name, Cavil's face showed a renewed interest, and he offered a small understanding nod.

"And it's a Priest you seek?" he asked.

"Not particularly. I don't believe in the Book of the Word. But I need to talk to someone who might be able to help me." Standish stated.

"I see." Cavil started. "Well, in that case... speak your mind, my child." he offered, looking Standish in the eyes.

For a long moment Standish just looked at Cavil, wondering if he should do this or not. Finally he resigned himself to the fact that he wanted to get this off his chest, and began to speak.

"Well... for the past week or so, I've been having these dreams... recurring dreams." Standish began. "It's always the same... I'm in a foggy forest, and the only color is a constant wash of red light, that moves from right to left and back, without end. After a few seconds, a man emerges from the mist of the forest... an archer. He doesn't speak. He just looks at me and then produces an arrow, which he shoots into the sky. After he shoots the arrow, a small region of fog parts in a prefect circle, revealing a clear night sky. I look up at the sky and a star... a single star appears to go nova, filling everything with brilliant white light. And then, the dream ends, and I wake up." he explained.

For a long moment both Standish and Cavil just looked to each other until finally Cavil broke the silence.

"Praise be to the Gods, child... for you have had a divine vision!" Cavil replied, looking to Standish.

"Vision?" Standish asked.

"Yes... have you never heard the story of the Thirteenth Tribe?" Cavil asked.

"I told you... I don't believe in the Book of the Word." Standish replied.

"Well... it's all found in the Book of Pythia. The Thirteenth Tribe of Man left Kobol as part of a great exodus, and set out for a world they called Earth. Apollo's arrow points the way to Earth." Cavil offered.

Standish looked at Cavil, trying to understand where he was going with all of this.

"Commander... it's as clear as day... the Gods have chosen your new path... your destiny. You are destined to lead this fleet to its new home... to Earth!" Cavil stated.

"And the wash of roving red light?" Standish asked.

"Obviously some kind of premonition that the Cylons would attack." Cavil offered.

For a long moment of awkward silence, Standish looked to Cavil, trying to figure out what to make of Cavil's words.

"Well, I thank you for your time, Brother Cavil, but I think you're mistaken... my role is to see this fleet back home to the Twelve Colonies and lead a final engagement against the Cylons, not to seek out on a quest for some mythical planet which may or may not exist." Standish returned, as he got up and Cavil looked up to him.

"I understand, Commander... but you did come to me. I assume it was because on some level you felt that what I had to say could help." Cavil replied.

"Seems I was mistaken. Thank you for your time. Sorry I wasted it." Standish offered as he began to walk away.

"Let not your heart be troubled, my child... my door is always open to you." Cavil said while Standish walked away, leaving Cavil to look after the Commander as he left.

- TO BE CONTINUED -
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat

Posted 13 March 2012 - 02:12 PM

- CONTINUED -

The great ship sailed through space, her small ragtag fleet close behind her.

URANTIA CORRIDOR

Commander Standish walked through the dimly lit hallway on his way to the CAG's bunk, thinking he would hand-deliver some duty reports on his way to the CIC. After a moment he finally rounded the corner and arrived at the hatch to the crew duty lockers and opened the hatch.

GRAE AZAIRE'S DUTY LOCKER

Urantia's CAG almost didn't realize that the hatch had been opened as she sat on her bunk, her head looking to the floor, her left arm extended and dripping blood from a fresh cut to her wrist, a knife in her right hand.

Standish swept into action, throwing the papers on the table as he rushed to Grae and knelt before her, grabbing the knife from her hand as he propped her up to face him.

She was slow to react, but when she did she was startled, and with a gasp of shock rushed to straighten up.

In a fast movement that she was unaware her Commander possessed, he had her shoved up against the bulkhead with her knife pressing hard against her throat, to keep her from struggling.

"What do you think you are doing?" Standish demanded, with a voice that conveyed both anger and hurt.

"You move fast for an old man." Grae said trying to be funny. Standish pressed the knife a little harder to her throat.

"Answer me." he pressed.

Her features became sad as she said, "Please don't do this." Her young eyes conveyed so much pain that it tore at something inside him. Standish lowered the knife and took a step back.

"Why not? You were going to do it... so I ask you again... WHY?" he pressed, his voice angry.

"It takes away the pain." Grae's voice broke and she fell to her knees as her body began to shake with silent sobs. Standish never would have seen himself doing this for anyone else, but he lowered himself to his knees and put his hand on the young woman's shoulder, trying to offer some measure of comfort.

"We've all been through a lot." Standish began, his voice coming out softer than he thought was possible under the circumstances. "But yet we survive... we are still here... still alive. And so it's not the end of the world." he said, getting up as he straightened his uniform. "If you need someone to talk to, my door is open." he added.

Standish didn't wait for her reply as he got up and left, putting the knife in his pocket while leaving her to think about his offer. He couldn't understand what made him offer to be an emotional sounding board for her but something in him compelled him to help her. Maybe it was some cruel twist of fate form Gods that he didn't believe in, but the damage was done and if she wanted his help she would have to ask for it on her own.

XO'S CABIN

D'Anna walked over to the chair where Cavil was seated and poured him a glass of water, setting the pitcher of water down on the table before sitting down across from him and facing him, waiting for him to initiate the conversation.

Cavil took a long drink of water before setting his glass back down on the table, finally looking up at D'Anna.

"It was a good idea of yours... to send Standish my way." he began. "And I have to say... the meeting wasn't entirely uneventful." he added.

"Really?" D'Anna began. "What did he say?" she asked.

"He told me he's been having dreams... dreams of Apollo, pointing the way to Earth." Cavil stated.

"The Book of Pythia." D'Anna began. "But Standish doesn't believe in the Book of the Word... does he?" she wondered.

"No, he doesn't. But nevertheless, he's been having recurring dreams of Apollo shooting his arrow towards Earth." Cavil replied.

"So what did you tell him?" D'Anna asked.

"I told him that I felt he should turn this ship and this fleet around, and seek out Earth. We have an opportunity here... to corral two surviving Battlestars and finish off the remnants of humanity that we missed. If Urantia follows the course of the Galactica, we won't have to divert a significant amount of resources to deal with this fleet... we can just have Urantia come to us, along Galactica's path." Cavil offered.

"You think he'll do it?" D'Anna asked.

"Not yet." Cavil began. "But I intend to try and convince him... as you should, as well. You are in the unique position of being Standish's XO... you have firsthand knowledge of this ship and fleet... its course, its weaknesses. You have Standish's trust. I suggest you use it. Get close to Tyler Standish... play on that trust." he offered.

D'Anna looked to Cavil with a look that told him she was less than enthusiastic about the prospect of entering into any form of close relationship with Standish.

"I can get close to the Commander... but I don't like the idea of attacking Urantia so soon. If the Cylons suddenly appear, Standish will assume the fleet is being followed, and will increase security, making it harder to maintain a tactical advantage." D'Anna stated.

Cavil looked to D'Anna for a long moment, before taking one last drink of water from his glass, as he looked back to her.

"Fine... we'll try it your way for now. I'll give you three weeks. If we can't convince him to reverse course by then... I'll take matters into my own hands." Cavil stated, looking D'Anna directly in the eyes.

The ship sailed through space, leading her modest ragtag fleet along, as Vipers flew CAP alongside the ships of the fleet.

CIC

All eyes were on the Commander as he walked to the CIC table, where D'Anna was waiting for him.

After a few moments, he looked up at the DRADIS, and then back down to the illuminated surface of the table. He then took off his glasses, folded them up, and placed them on the table's surface as he kept looking downward. Finally, he looked around to his XO... to his crew. He then turned back and picked up the phone, and the intercom was activated as he prepared to speak.

"Attention crew of Battlestar Urantia, and all ships in the civilian fleet. This is Urantia Actual. Four days ago, the Cylons launched a sneak attack on our home worlds, in particular, striking with force at Picon. During that time, this ship, and this fleet, was displaced from the Colonies, in an effort to escape destruction at the hands of the Cylons." he began, as now he began to turn to look around at his people. "We lost a lot of good men and women. But we are safe now. And we are here now. The question becomes now... what next? Where do we go from here? As military commander of this fleet, and of all the souls on this ship, it is my first duty to ensure the safety of those under my command. At the same time, Urantia is a military ship... and as a member of the military, it is also my responsibility... my job... to safeguard the lives of those living on the Colonies. That being the case, I am now formally announcing that we are at war. We do not know the full extent of the destruction the Cylons were able to visit upon our homes. But I am hopeful that the Colonial forces orbiting Caprica and Leonis were able to deal serious blows to the Cylon forces. So... I have decided to make a course back to the Colonies, and once there, mount a new offensive against the Cylons, and send those frakking toaster bastards back to the hell from where they came!" he continued. "In the meantime, we will be on the lookout for worlds with new food and water, and new renewable sources of energies and power, so that we may maintain our voyage in a timely fashion without any prolonged diversions. Come what may, we will make it through this. We will persist. We will survive. And we will go on, and never back down to the Cylons! I thank you all for your patience, and your cooperation. Urantia out." he said, as he gently placed the handset back in its cradle.

After about a second, D'Anna placed her hand on his shoulder to show her support, and turned to the crew calling out to them.

"So say we all!" she said.

Gradually, the crew began to nod their approval, and also began to utter the rallying line, clapping in rhythm to the phrase.

"SO SAY WE ALL!" they chanted, over and over again, as Commander Standish turned to regard his people, loudly proclaiming their support for his cause, allowing a small smile to break to the surface of his face.

- TO BE CONTINUED -
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:23 PM

- CONTINUED -

The ship continued leading her flock of twelve ships through the vast expanse of space.

URANTIA CORRIDOR

Commander Standish walked through the hallway that led to CIC looking over some reports while at the same time thinking about the current state of the ship and the fleet.

It had now been a full three weeks since the Cylon attack on the Colonies, and the crew of Battlestar Urantia was slowly getting settled and comfortable again with their usual duty routines. Regular CAPs were now being flown over the civilian fleet by the Viper squadrons, and so far there had been no further sign of the Cylons.

This was either good or bad.

If it was good, it meant that perhaps Urantia had jumped so far away from Colonial space that the Cylons could not possibly find them. If it was bad, it meant that perhaps the Cylons were indeed somehow tracking them or in the area, and were just waiting to strike.

Suddenly he came across three people from the Oceana Zephyr who were walking in the other direction. He recognized them as flight crew, or "Flight Attendants", as civilian lingo would call them. Two were attractive women and one was a young man. They both paused as he came to their position and stopped to salute him, as he returned the gesture.

"Good morning, Sir." the they said.

"Morning. How are things among the fleet?" Standish asked them.

"Well, Sir... now that things are falling into order, a lot of the passengers on the liners are a lot more calm. So far the only problems we've had were with two cases of claustrophobia, but those two passengers were moved to the Speedwell." one of the women replied.

"Very good... continue to keep things organized... right now our worst enemy is our own panic and sense of chaos. Try to find activities for the passengers to do... get them involved in anything you can, so people don't focus on their isolation or the situation as much... give them an outlet." Standish offered, as the group nodded and resumed walking just as Standish turned to see the hatch to the CIC.

CIC

The large DRADIS cluster loomed over the command table and the trademark ghostly whine of the DRADIS sweep resonated through the large room, as D'Anna looked to the Commander while he walked over to the central table, plopping down the paper reports he had been holding as he noticed a set of recon star charts on the table below the reports he had set down.

"What's all this?" he asked, lifting up the star maps and looking them over.

"Hopefully, the first part of our route home." D'Anna began, as Standish looked to her before returning his attention to the charts.

"A trinary system." Standish softly stated.

"Aye, Sir... Mister Hindri believes that from that trinary system, the Godhead Nebula may be visible. If so, that would be our first waypoint back to the Colonies." D'Anna offered.

"Hmmm..." Standish began, setting the charts back down on the table as he looked to D'Anna. "Very well... we'll send out a Raptor team... have them jump ahead, and report back to us. If they find any--" he said, as the loud bleeping of the DRADIS alarms cut him off.

"Sir! Multiple DRADIS contacts!" Hindri called out, as both Standish and D'Anna looked up to the DRADIS monitors. "I'm not reading them as Cylon, Sir, but..."

"But what, Mister Hindri?" Standish asked, not taking his eyes off the monitor.

"But they don't read as Colonial, either, Sir." Hindri said, working his panel to try and reconcile the data he was getting.

"Huh?" Standish whispered aloud, as if the DRADIS monitor could somehow explain the mystery to him.

"Commander, request permission to take the ship to Condition One." D'Anna asked, as Standish finally took his eyes away from the DRADIS screens and looked to her.

"Do it... and launch alert Vipers... have them make visual identification on the unknowns." Standish began, turning to face Hindri. "All aft batteries on standby... weapons hold, until I give the order!" he called, while beside him D'Anna got on the phone and called for the Viper launch, putting the ship on Condition One as the loud klaxon began to blare in CIC.

PORT FLIGHT POD

One by one the Vipers of Urantia came screaming out from their launch tubes and fired their engines, racing towards the distant specks that were the unknown ships.

URANTIA VIPER MK. VI – CALLSIGN “BATCAT”

Grae's Viper led the formation along towards the incoming bogeys.

COCKPIT

Grae's face showed her confusion as she struggled to somehow identify the ships she was seeing from her cockpit window, as they slowly grew closer. They looked like they were human ships, but their transponder codes were not Colonial. Finally Grae flipped a few toggle switches, pressed a button, and spoke to Urantia's CIC via the intercom.

CIC

All eyes were looking up at the DRADIS and the ship's speakers as everyone listened to Grae's comm voice.

"Urantia, I've just begun to send out the universal greeting message... if these are our people, they should be responding any second now." she stated.

For a long series of moments the only sound in CIC was the whine of the DRADIS as all eyes were glued to the monitors, waiting to see what would happen next. Finally the silence was broken by a new series of beeps from Hindri's station, as he scrambled to make sense of the new data.

"Mister Hindri?" Standish asked, looking to the man.

"Sir... we're getting a reply, but... it's... it's in what seems to be an old Gemenese dialect, Sir... I'm trying to put it together." Hindri offered.

"Can you use that old dialect to send a message back to them?" Standish asked.

"I believe I can, Sir." Hindri replied.

With that, Commander Standish picked up the CIC phone and began to speak, addressing the unknown ships.

"To unidentified vessels, this is Commander Tyler Standish of the Colonial Battlestar Urantia. We mean you no harm, but we request you identify yourselves. If you do not reply we will consider you a hostile force. Please acknowledge." he said, taking his finger off the "talk" button, awaiting a reply.

Finally Hindri broke the silence, looking to Standish.

"Sir, we're getting a voice transmission, but it's broken up... I can clean it up a bit, but it'll be fuzzy." he stated, as Standish nodded for him to put the message through the CIC speakers.

As everyone looked up, the sounds of fritzed static filled the room until a man's voice was added into the mix, sounding distant, like a half-garbled old radio transmission.

"To the ship identifying itself as the Battlestar Urantia... this is the Stellar Brigantine Sal Caltanis, five weeks out of Emilon. We mean you no harm. If you don't mind my asking... where are you from?" the man's voice asked.

Standish brought the phone back to his mouth as he delivered his reply.

"The Twelve Colonies of Kobol." Standish replied, waiting for the response on the other end.

For a few seconds only the sound of static filled the room, until the man's voice returned.

"Um, excuse me, Urantia... did you say Kobol?" the man asked.

"I did." Standish replied, as D'Anna looked to him, curious.

Finally the man's voice replied once again...

"Wow, uh... okay. Kobol is a name we haven't heard for a very, very, long time." the voice began. "I think we might have a few things to talk about... may I request permission to bring our ships alongside your own?" the man asked.

Standish looked to D'Anna before returning his attention to the phone and answering.

"Permission granted, Sal Caltanis... we look forward to meeting you." Standish replied, as the crew burst out into cheers and applause at the discovery of what appeared to be yet more human survivors.

URANTIA VIPER GROUP

In space the Vipers from Urantia all began to glide past the ships of the new fleet, which was over thirty vessels strong, consisting of ships ranging in size from a small starliner, to larger transport and resource ships.

- TO BE CONTINUED -
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat

Posted 20 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

- CONTINUED -

UPPER PORT FLIGHT POD

The top aft of the flight pod loomed large with the ships of the ragtag fleet and the fleet of ships from Emilon in the far distance as a pair of Vipers escorted an Emilon shuttle into the upper port hangar deck, the two Urantia Vipers breaking off as the small shuttle entered the interior of the bay.

UPPER PORT HANGAR DECK

Commander Standish and D'Anna led the assembly of Urantia personnel which included a unit of Marines, Colonial officers, and various deck crew that were there for the event, as all assembled stood in formation and at attention while one of Urantia's tugs pulled the shuttle to a soft stop before the group.

All was silent for a handful of seconds until the shuttle's starboard hatch hissed open, lifting upward just as the legs of two human figures could be seen seated in positions similar to those on a Raptor. After a second the figure to the fore of the shuttle began to get up, stooping to clear the top of the hatch just as the second figure also began to get up. The first person stepped out of the shuttle and stood straight, facing the Urantia people, the second person doing the same behind the first.

Standish took in the sight of the two people from Emilon... both men, and quite tall men. From the first instant the thing that stood out most about these men was their uniforms... they were extremely elaborate, as if the two men had emerged right out from the glory days of sail... a long black undress coat with numerous highly polished gold buttons and gold epaulets as well as thin gold piping around the edges of the coat, a cream-colored undershirt, black pants with a thin line of gold piping on the side of each pant leg, and a forward-facing black bicorne hat, also with thin gold piping along the edge... if this had been Earth, the uniforms would have been identical to those used in Lord Nelson's navy. The first man was a white man and from what he could see of it, Standish could see the man had red hair. He looked to be in his late thirties of age.

The first man now stepped off the craft's short wing and walked up to Commander Standish, pausing as he straightened up and saluted Standish.

Standish returned the salute, before lowering his hand, prompting the Emilon man to do the same as he now addressed Standish.

"Greetings... I'm Captain Zender Kline, of the Stellar Brigantine Sal Caltanis." he began, smiling. "From what you said over the radio, you folks must be the first ones... the ones who first broke from the fleet." he added.

"First ones?" Standish asked confused, as D'Anna shared his look of confusion.

"Aye, the first ones... the twelve... the first of us to have broken from the exodus fleet from Kobol." Kline offered, as Standish just looked to him, before turning to D'Anna as both Urantia people looked back to Kline.

The mighty Battlestar continued leading the fleet through space, now joined by the thirty new ships that comprised the Emilon fleet.

Standish, D'Anna, and the two Emilon men sat around the Commander's table, food and drink before them, as Standish continued the questioning...

"So if I understand what you're saying... you claim to be part of the Thirteenth Tribe's caravan to Earth." he repeated.

"Aye, that'd be the truth of it." Kline began. "You'll be realizin' that the journey from Kobol was takin' it's toll on many in the fleet... the trip had already taken almost two full yahrens when the first twelve broke from the fleet, to settle colonies of their own. Many people of the fleet were growin' weary of the long and difficult voyage, so durin' the course of the voyage, two more groups broke from the fleet... we were the last, as far as we're to be knowin'." he stated.

Standish instantly noticed the man's incredibly thick accent and clipped form of speech... very similar to that of old Aerilon... if this had been Earth, he would have recognized the accent as Irish.

"What about you, Commander Standish? What finds the Urantia and her fair fleet way out here in the starry deep?" Kline asked.

D'Anna looked to Standish as he sighed, taking a long drink before delivering his reply, facing Kline.

"We were forced to evacuate the Twelve Colonies after the Cylons attacked, destroying our worlds... our ships." he stated.

"Cylons?" Kline asked.

"Robot warriors... they were created by us, but revolted against us decades ago in a long and bloody war, until an armistice was declared and the Cylons left the Colonies for a world of their own. But a couple weeks ago the Cylons broke the armistice, and launched an all-out surprise attack on the Colonies. We had to use an open-ended jump to escape destruction. The Urantia and the twelve civilian ships with her are all that remains, as far as we know." Standish explained.

"I'm sorry." Kline offered.

Standish drained the drink in his glass as he responded.

"Not much anyone can do about it now." he began, forcing a small smile as he looked Kline in the eyes. "What about your group... what are you doing out this way?" he asked.

"Well, first let me be sayin' that our fair ship, the Sal Caltanis, is the only military vessel in our modest fleet. We were contracted to escort a group of religious pilgrims on a voyage back to Kobol. So that's what we're doin'... we've got a group of 'round thirty ships... mostly small cargo ships that are barely fit to be ferryin' cargo, let alone people, but the pilgrims didn't have much in the way of money so they're makin' do as is." Kline explained.

Standish's look suddenly grew serious, which Kline picked up on.

"You say you're heading back to Kobol?" he asked.

"Aye, that'd be the truth of it." Kline replied, somewhat puzzled.

"So then you have star maps... you know the way back?" Standish stated.

"Aye, that we do... why?" Kline asked, as Standish shared a serious look with D'Anna before returning his focus to Captain Kline, and leaning a bit closer to him.

"I told you that we jumped away from the Colonies to avoid destruction... what I haven't told you yet, is that we're quite simply lost. We don't know how far we've jumped, and don't yet know how to find our way back to Colonial space... we don't have any star maps from this far out." Standish began. "Now it is my full intention to return to the Colonies and gather whatever remains of the Colonial forces I can, and mount a final offensive against the Cylons. The quicker this can be done, the better." he added.

"Of course, we'll be delightin' to share whatever maps we have with you, should you be wantin'--" Kline began, as Standish cut him off...

"Frak that... I have a proposal for you, Captain." he offered, as Kline raised an eyebrow in interest. "You're heading towards Kobol, leading a large group of pilgrims. You have the Sal Caltanis, but I have Urantia... an extremely powerful military warship, and I'm going the same way you are. I propose the following... your people join our fleet... in exchange for your help in getting us home, you would enjoy the full protection of Urantia for the duration of the voyage from here to the Colonies." Standish stated, awaiting Kline's reply.

Kline looked to his own XO, and the two men shared a look, nodding at each other, as Kline turned back to face Standish.

"Fair be it, then... shall we be shakin' on it?" he asked, extending his hand.

"Why not?" Standish replied, shaking Kline's hand, as everyone at the table smiled. "So..." he continued, sitting back in his chair, "tell me about Emilon." he added as Kline leaned forward to begin to deliver his reply.

- TO BE CONTINUED -
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:32 PM

- CONTINUED -

The mighty ship sailed onward through deep space, her fleet now tripled in size with the addition of the Emilon pilgrim fleet.

CIC

D'Anna stood beside Standish as he looked over a series of global maps with a magnifying glass, paying particular attention to a very green coastal landmass that held a peninsula bay.

"What's all this?" D'Anna asked.

"Emilon." Standish began, looking to her as he began to point out specific spots on the photo to her. "Specifically, this is where Captain Kline says that his group of pilgrims is from... an area called Gladmyston. To the northeast here is Gladmyston Harbor, and to its west is Gladmyston Glenn. Below that is Nancassett Township, and to the east of that is Ponder's Ferry. According to Kline almost all the pilgrims are from Nancassett." he explained, handing the magnifying glass to her so she could look for herself.

"It looks so green." D'Anna remarked, looking up to Standish.

"Indeed... the area has abundant farmland and water. Captain Kline has offered to take us back to Emilon so that we can stock up on fresh food and water, before setting back on the course to the Colonies." Standish explained.

"Why not? He said they were what... five weeks away from Emilon? Sure, it may be in the opposite direction, but if it means an ample supply of fresh food and water... I doubt you'll have any arguments from our fleet for that." D'Anna offered.

"Perhaps." Standish softly stated, looking at the photos of Emilon's surface.

"Besides..." D'Anna began, "This would give the civilians something to do... let them go down to the surface, and collect food and water... whatever they want. It'd give them something to focus on other than the ships they've been stuck on... give them a way to channel their energies. It would also allow them to stretch their legs and get some fresh air and open spaces for a while." she added.

Standish looked at D'Anna for a long silent moment, a small smile on the tips of his lips. He knew she was right... the civilians of his fleet needed this, and quite frankly, Standish was curious to see what kind of people these Emilon folks were... what kind of society they had built outside of the Twelve Colonies that he knew.

"Very well... I'll inform Captain Kline that we'll be heading back to Emilon as soon as I address the fleet." Standish began. "But I'd like to first meet some of these Emilon pilgrims for myself, before we get underway... get an idea of their culture." he stated, as D'Anna nodded, smiling.

EMILON PILGRIM TRANSPORT "SEPIA MOON"

The small pilgrim transport kept pace alongside Urantia's port flight pod, which dwarfed the tiny transport ship. The Sepia Moon looked like quite an old vessel, and was a dirty rust-color, with ample streaks of dirt and weathering on the ramshackle ship.

CORRIDOR

Inside the ship, Captain Kline led Commander Standish on a tour of the tiny and cramped ship, so that Standish could see firsthand how the pilgrims lived on board.

The two men had to literally squeeze their way through, as the pilgrims had set up a "tent city" of individual living units that were no more than blankets held up by poles, with sleeping blankets on the floor, and basic cooking instruments inside the "house". The insides of the "homes" were very basic, with very few personal effects... Standish was only able to spy the occasional sepia-toned photo of a large pilgrim family or individual, encased in the traditional elongated octagon frame.

The two men, as well as all the pilgrims, had to occasionally duck to avoid the many lines of laundry that were hung from the edges of the blanket homes to the other wall of the corridor. Standish quickly picked up on the fact that these pilgrims seemed to be staunchly anti-technology... he did not see a single electronic device anywhere or among any of the pilgrims.

The pilgrim folk themselves were equally simple... their clothes were extremely simple and rugged. The women were allowed a few more frills, and Standish noticed a few women wearing corsets. Most of the pilgrim folk were choosing to totally ignore Kline and Standish, and keep to themselves, going about their business, while a few others merely looked to them, nodding in respectful silence. It was at that point, that Tyler Standish's attention was snatched away... one of the pilgrim women paused and looked up at Standish, smiling as she brushed some strands of red hair away from her eyes. Kline’s voice faded into the background as the mysterious woman became the sole focus of all of Tyler’s attention. Desire rose through him. All he wanted to do was meet this woman... introduce himself to her and get her attention. The woman that had caught Tyler’s fancy was conversing with a friend of hers while the two women did laundry. She glanced his way a couple of times, each glance only lasting but for a few short seconds.

"Excuse me." he told Kline abruptly and without so much as a by your leave, left Kline to walk over to the woman who was the object of his desires.

Up close, the woman was even more beautiful to Standish. She was a foxy, petite little thing with unblemished milky white skin, a beautiful face with high cheekbones, pointy nose, two strikingly azure-blue eyes, and a mane of fiery red hair. Her corset offered him a lovely view of the top of her breasts. Both women were nonplussed by Standish’s arrival, exchanging a knowing look between themselves as they continued tending to their laundry.

The red-haired woman finally realized that Standish was lost in the sight of her womanly charms, and raised her eyes, meeting his gaze directly. "Can I be helpin' you?" she asked.

"I'm Commander Tyler Standish, of the Battlestar Urantia." he said softly.

The woman straightened up, wiping her hands on her apron. "And?" she asked.

Beside her, the brunette woman repressed her laughter at her friends’ boldness.

Tyler was somewhat taken aback at the woman’s response to his introduction... it was as if this woman were annoyed with his advance…..as if he was wasting her time, time she could be spending finishing up her laundry instead of speaking with a handsome Commander. The brunette woman, obviously a friend to the red-haired woman, was finding the exchange between the two of them amusing cluing Tyler in that the woman might be toying with him.

"And, I'd like to talk to you." he replied.

"Well then, Commander Tyler Standish, of the Battlestar Urantia... commence to talkin'." she ordered, sweeping her arm towards him indicating he had the floor. The brunette woman, unable to keep her mirth completely in check any longer, let a giggle slip out.

"First things first." Tyler began. "I’ve already introduced myself and told you my name... now it's your turn."

"Now, Commander..." she began, "You ought be knowin' that you don't go 'round orderin' womenfolk about like that." she replied, her lips twitching mischievously clearly aware of Tyler’s discomfort and enjoying it. She was indeed playing with him, Standish decided.

"Frak it..." Tyler shot back, playing along. "I can't talk to a woman if I don't know her name." he stated softly. He turned, and began to walk away knowing his very action would elicit some response from the quarry he was after.

This time it was the woman who was caught by surprise. She hadn’t truly expected him to actually walk away.

"Wait!" she called out. Standish paused, and turned back towards her. "Eliza... Eliza Winnow's my name." she added.

"Eliza Winnow..." Standish repeated, looking into her eyes the whole time as he took her left hand and brought it to his lips, kissing the back of her hand softly. "A pleasure." he stated.

Eliza smiled shyly up at Standish, her eyes wide.

"So I'll be askin' you again, Mister Standish... to what am I owin' the honor of your attention?" she asked unwilling to be cowed by this stranger.

Standish nodded, and leaning close to Eliza, he whispered something in her ear. Eliza's eyes widened and her eyebrows rose, her mouth forming a silent, shocked “Oh!”. She blushed prettily, the flush making its way down from high on her cheeks to the top of her breasts. Tyler finally withdrew, catching Eliza’s gaze again as he intentionally let his approving gaze wander over her form, caressing it, Eliza’s blush deepening even as he watched. She fanned herself with a hand in playful mock-shock.

"Mister Standish!" she exclaimed, her tone still shocked.

Tyler’s grin widened into a rakish smile having gotten the reaction he wanted out of Eliza. He nodded at both women.

"Good day, ladies." he said softly, then turned and departed back the way he had come, leaving Eliza to the company of her friend.

At his departure Eliza exchanged a meaningful glance with her friend. Then Eliza’s friend burst out laughing, unable to contain herself any longer. Infected by her friends’ laughter, Eliza joined in.

- TO BE CONTINUED -
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat

Posted 21 September 2012 - 10:33 PM

- CONTINUED -

The port flight pod of the great ship slowly sailed by as a trio of Vipers sailed past it, flying CAP.

Inside the room, Standish leaned back in his chair ogling a glass of brandy in his hand, as he listened to Brother Cavil speak to him.

"So, you see, Commander... I have to humbly apologize, but it appears I was wrong, and you were right. I misinterpreted your dream... I still believe that the archer you saw was Apollo... but it was not Earth he was shooting his arrow at... it was Kobol! Apollo has sent you a divine sign... the exodus to Earth was real, and did happen... there are humans out here, far from the Colonies, and you have been chosen to gather them and lead them back home to Kobol. It is your destiny given to you by the Gods themselves!" Cavil said, enthused.

Standish took a drink before again looking to Cavil.

"My decision to return to the Colonies is in no way religious... I plan to find whatever may be left of our fleet and make a final stand against the Cylons. Revenge is my motivation. While I have to maintain that I don't believe in anything written in the Book of the Word... I also have to acknowledge that the discovery of these Emilon people, and their statement that there is at least one other group, forces me to cede that the exodus to Earth did take place. And I have to tell you that I'm a little uncomfortable with your vision of me as some sort of "pilgrim leader"... I am an officer in the Colonial Fleet... that Captain Kline... he is the pilgrim leader... he's the one escorting those pilgrims from Emilon to Kobol." he said.

"Now that Urantia has taken charge of the pilgrim fleet, you are the one leading them... you are the pilgrim leader." Cavil began, "Have faith in the Gods, Commander... open yourself to the possibility that you are meant for something more, that this ship is where it is for a reason. Allow yourself to trust in the Gods... you may be surprised at what you come to find." he added as he slowly got up. "Now if you'll excuse me, Commander... I must retire now... it's getting a little late for me." he said as he made his exit from the room.

As the hatch to Standish's cabin opened to let Cavil out, the ship's CAG, Grae, was trying to make her entrance, and for an awkward second the two people were in each other's way until Grae moved aside to let Cavil out, as she then entered the room, closing the hatch behind her.

Sheepishly, like a schoolchild that had been caught passing notes, she walked over to the Commander's desk, looking at him with sad eyes that were full of uncertainty.

"Something I can do for you, BatCat?" Standish said, using her Viper callsign as her name.

"Sir... you said that if I... that if I wanted to talk..." she said, unsure of what she was really doing. She had never trusted anyone before, and the fact that the Commander came out of the blue and offered to listen to her, was surprising and refreshing.

"Then have a seat." Standish said, gesturing to the chair as he leaned forward to face her more directly. "Why do you do what you do... with the knife?" he asked her, gently and in a soft voice.

It... it helps take the pain away... for a while." she began. "I have trouble feeling... ever since I was a child... my parents... they... they abandoned me. They left me on Caprica when I was ten to fend for myself." she began. "Apparently when I was young they thought I was having temper problems and they sought the advice of an Oracle... my folks were extremely religious, both from Gemenon. The Oracle said that if they just up and left me in the streets of Caprica, I would... "find my direction", whatever the frak that meant." she said.

Standish's features softened, and his face showed sympathy.

"What happened to you on Caprica?" he asked.

"Sir... the things I had to do..." she went on, her voice now breaking, as she struggled not to cry. "The things I was forced to do. I could never place my trust in anyone... after what they did to me... how could I trust anyone again? And their betrayal... their abandonment left such a hurt, that I didn't want to feel anything anymore, until it got to the point where I couldn't feel anything anymore. The only emotion left that I could feel, was pain." she said, as a few tears ran down her cheek. "And when I heard the people talking in here about how Caprica and the other Colonies were gone... how my parents are likely also gone... I don't know. Part of me felt relief, and everything kind of just resurfaced, if that makes any sense."

Standish got up from his chair, and walked over to behind Grae, and placed one hand on her shoulder, using the other hand to wipe the tears from her cheek as she turned around to look up at him.

"You don't have to do this anymore." he began. "I am here for you, and this ship is your home now... you are with people who care about you... remember the first time we met? I knew what I was talking about then, and I know what I'm talking about now." he said, as she stood up and embraced him, burying her face in his arms as she cried.

Grae did not know what was making her open up to the Commander like this, but as she looked at him now, in the light of his own cabin, his face, his whole form, gave off an aura of fatherhood... he was looking at her with sympathy, trust, and even a form of love. He looked paternal... wise and proud, in his perfect and clean uniform and shining badges. She was sure of one thing... something inside of her told her she could trust him, and this one time, she would take that chance, because here finally, was a man who was opening his door and his heart to her and offering a helping hand... and she was going to take it.

The great ship continued her voyage through space, the ships of the fleet behind her.

XO'S CABIN

Brother Cavil sat in the chair across from D'Anna and took a drink of water as she looked up to him, waiting for him to continue his speech.

"So what did you tell him?" she asked.

"Well, I told him the only thing I could, my dear Three... that in light of recent events, it appears that I was wrong about his dreams... it wasn't Earth that Apollo was shooting at... it was Kobol. Ergo, his destiny is just as he said... to lead this fleet back towards the Colonies, and not head in the opposite direction." Cavil stated.

"Why did you do that? I thought you said you wanted Urantia to follow Galactica's path, so it would be easier for our forces to take them both out at once?" D'Anna asked.

Cavil drained the last of the water in his glass, before delivering his reply.

"Yes, well you see my dear... things aren't that simple, I'm afraid... for now we have two new issues to deal with. From what you've told me, these Emilon people were the last group to break from the exodus fleet to Earth. If that's the case, that means that if we allow Urantia to continue on course back towards Kobol, we may encounter the other group that broke away before the Emilons did. This voyage allows us to see just how many pockets of humanity we missed. And it appears that we also have to deal with what looks like a third Battlestar that somehow managed to make it out of the Colonies... a ship called the Pegasus... and from what I've heard from the Sixes, that ship is bigger and more powerful than either Urantia or Galactica. So we'll need to seek out whatever other breakaway groups of humans there are, to gauge their threat level." Cavil explained.

D'Anna nodded in silence, understanding what Cavil was telling her.

- TO BE CONTINUED -
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat

Posted 24 September 2012 - 01:07 PM

- CONTINUED -

The mighty ship sailed onward through deep space, her fleet now tripled in size with the addition of the Emilon pilgrim fleet.

CIC

D'Anna stood beside Standish as he looked over a series of global maps with a magnifying glass, paying particular attention to a very green coastal landmass that held a peninsula bay.

"What's all this?" D'Anna asked.

"Emilon." Standish began, looking to her as he began to point out specific spots on the photo to her. "Specifically, this is where Captain Kline says that his group of pilgrims is from... an area called Gladmyston. To the northeast here is Gladmyston Harbor, and to its west is Gladmyston Glenn. Below that is Nancassett Township, and to the east of that is Ponder's Ferry. According to Kline almost all the pilgrims are from Nancassett." he explained, handing the magnifying glass to her so she could look for herself.

"It looks so green." D'Anna remarked, looking up to Standish.

"Indeed... the area has abundant farmland and water. Captain Kline has offered to take us back to Emilon so that we can stock up on fresh food and water, before setting back on the course to the Colonies." Standish explained.

"Why not? He said they were what... five weeks away from Emilon? Sure, it may be in the opposite direction, but if it means an ample supply of fresh food and water... I doubt you'll have any arguments from our fleet for that." D'Anna offered.

"Perhaps." Standish softly stated, looking at the photos of Emilon's surface.

"Besides..." D'Anna began, "This would give the civilians something to do... let them go down to the surface, and collect food and water... whatever they want. It'd give them something to focus on other than the ships they've been stuck on... give them a way to channel their energies. It would also allow them to stretch their legs and get some fresh air and open spaces for a while." she added.

Standish looked at D'Anna for a long silent moment, a small smile on the tips of his lips. He knew she was right... the civilians of his fleet needed this, and quite frankly, Standish was curious to see what kind of people these Emilon folks were... what kind of society they had built outside of the Twelve Colonies that he knew.

"Very well... I'll inform Captain Kline that we'll be heading back to Emilon as soon as I address the fleet." Standish began. "But I'd like to first meet some of these Emilon pilgrims for myself, before we get underway... get an idea of their culture." he stated, as D'Anna nodded, smiling.

EMILON PILGRIM TRANSPORT "SEPIA MOON"

The small pilgrim transport kept pace alongside Urantia's port flight pod, which dwarfed the tiny transport ship. The Sepia Moon looked like quite an old vessel, and was a dirty rust-color, with ample streaks of dirt and weathering on the ramshackle ship.

CORRIDOR

Inside the ship, Captain Kline led Commander Standish on a tour of the tiny and cramped ship, so that Standish could see firsthand how the pilgrims lived on board.

The two men had to literally squeeze their way through, as the pilgrims had set up a "tent city" of individual living units that were no more than blankets held up by poles, with sleeping blankets on the floor, and basic cooking instruments inside the "house". The insides of the "homes" were very basic, with very few personal effects... Standish was only able to spy the occasional sepia-toned photo of a large pilgrim family or individual, encased in the traditional elongated octagon frame.

The two men, as well as all the pilgrims, had to occasionally duck to avoid the many lines of laundry that were hung from the edges of the blanket homes to the other wall of the corridor. Standish quickly picked up on the fact that these pilgrims seemed to be staunchly anti-technology... he did not see a single electronic device anywhere or among any of the pilgrims.

The pilgrim folk themselves were equally simple... their clothes were extremely simple and rugged. The women were allowed a few more frills, and Standish noticed a few women wearing corsets. Most of the pilgrim folk were choosing to totally ignore Kline and Standish, and keep to themselves, going about their business, while a few others merely looked to them, nodding in respectful silence. It was at that point, that Tyler Standish's attention was snatched away... one of the pilgrim women paused and looked up at Standish, smiling as she brushed some strands of red hair away from her eyes. Kline’s voice faded into the background as the mysterious woman became the sole focus of all of Tyler’s attention. Desire rose through him. All he wanted to do was meet this woman... introduce himself to her and get her attention. The woman that had caught Tyler’s fancy was conversing with a friend of hers while the two women did laundry. She glanced his way a couple of times, each glance only lasting but for a few short seconds.

"Excuse me." he told Kline abruptly and without so much as a by your leave, left Kline to walk over to the woman who was the object of his desires.

Up close, the woman was even more beautiful to Standish. She was a foxy, petite little thing with unblemished milky white skin, a beautiful face with high cheekbones, pointy nose, two strikingly azure-blue eyes, and a mane of fiery red hair. Her corset offered him a lovely view of the top of her breasts. Both women were nonplussed by Standish’s arrival, exchanging a knowing look between themselves as they continued tending to their laundry.

The red-haired woman finally realized that Standish was lost in the sight of her womanly charms, and raised her eyes, meeting his gaze directly. "Can I be helpin' you?" she asked.

"I'm Commander Tyler Standish, of the Battlestar Urantia." he said softly.

The woman straightened up, wiping her hands on her apron. "And?" she asked.

Beside her, the brunette woman repressed her laughter at her friends’ boldness.

Tyler was somewhat taken aback at the woman’s response to his introduction... it was as if this woman were annoyed with his advance…..as if he was wasting her time, time she could be spending finishing up her laundry instead of speaking with a handsome Commander. The brunette woman, obviously a friend to the red-haired woman, was finding the exchange between the two of them amusing cluing Tyler in that the woman might be toying with him.

"And, I'd like to talk to you." he replied.

"Well then, Commander Tyler Standish, of the Battlestar Urantia... commence to talkin'." she ordered, sweeping her arm towards him indicating he had the floor. The brunette woman, unable to keep her mirth completely in check any longer, let a giggle slip out.

"First things first." Tyler began. "I’ve already introduced myself and told you my name... now it's your turn."

"Now, Commander..." she began, "You ought be knowin' that you don't go 'round orderin' womenfolk about like that." she replied, her lips twitching mischievously clearly aware of Tyler’s discomfort and enjoying it. She was indeed playing with him, Standish decided.

"Frak it..." Tyler shot back, playing along. "I can't talk to a woman if I don't know her name." he stated softly. He turned, and began to walk away knowing his very action would elicit some response from the quarry he was after.

This time it was the woman who was caught by surprise. She hadn’t truly expected him to actually walk away.

"Wait!" she called out. Standish paused, and turned back towards her. "Eliza... Eliza Winnow's my name." she added.

"Eliza Winnow..." Standish repeated, looking into her eyes the whole time as he took her left hand and brought it to his lips, kissing the back of her hand softly. "A pleasure." he stated.

Eliza smiled shyly up at Standish, her eyes wide.

"So I'll be askin' you again, Mister Standish... to what am I owin' the honor of your attention?" she asked unwilling to be cowed by this stranger.

Standish nodded, and leaning close to Eliza, he whispered something in her ear. Eliza's eyes widened and her eyebrows rose, her mouth forming a silent, shocked “Oh!”. She blushed prettily, the flush making its way down from high on her cheeks to the top of her breasts. Tyler finally withdrew, catching Eliza’s gaze again as he intentionally let his approving gaze wander over her form, caressing it, Eliza’s blush deepening even as he watched. She fanned herself with a hand in playful mock-shock.

"Mister Standish!" she exclaimed, her tone still shocked.

Tyler’s grin widened into a rakish smile having gotten the reaction he wanted out of Eliza. He nodded at both women.

"Good day, ladies." he said softly, then turned and departed back the way he had come, leaving Eliza to the company of her friend.

At his departure Eliza exchanged a meaningful glance with her friend. Then Eliza’s friend burst out laughing, unable to contain herself any longer. Infected by her friends’ laughter, Eliza joined in.

- TO BE CONTINUED -
Posted Image

#13 User is offline   BruceAdama Icon

• Callsign - BatCat

Posted 26 September 2012 - 12:21 AM

- CONTINUED -

The port flight pod of the great ship slowly sailed by as a trio of Vipers sailed past it, flying CAP.

Inside the room, Standish leaned back in his chair ogling a glass of brandy in his hand, as he listened to Brother Cavil speak to him.

"So, you see, Commander... I have to humbly apologize, but it appears I was wrong, and you were right. I misinterpreted your dream... I still believe that the archer you saw was Apollo... but it was not Earth he was shooting his arrow at... it was Kobol! Apollo has sent you a divine sign... the exodus to Earth was real, and did happen... there are humans out here, far from the Colonies, and you have been chosen to gather them and lead them back home to Kobol. It is your destiny given to you by the Gods themselves!" Cavil said, enthused.

Standish took a drink before again looking to Cavil.

"My decision to return to the Colonies is in no way religious... I plan to find whatever may be left of our fleet and make a final stand against the Cylons. Revenge is my motivation. While I have to maintain that I don't believe in anything written in the Book of the Word... I also have to acknowledge that the discovery of these Emilon people, and their statement that there is at least one other group, forces me to cede that the exodus to Earth did take place. And I have to tell you that I'm a little uncomfortable with your vision of me as some sort of "pilgrim leader"... I am an officer in the Colonial Fleet... that Captain Kline... he is the pilgrim leader... he's the one escorting those pilgrims from Emilon to Kobol." he said.

"Now that Urantia has taken charge of the pilgrim fleet, you are the one leading them... you are the pilgrim leader." Cavil began, "Have faith in the Gods, Commander... open yourself to the possibility that you are meant for something more, that this ship is where it is for a reason. Allow yourself to trust in the Gods... you may be surprised at what you come to find." he added as he slowly got up. "Now if you'll excuse me, Commander... I must retire now... it's getting a little late for me." he said as he made his exit from the room.

As the hatch to Standish's cabin opened to let Cavil out, the ship's CAG, Grae, was trying to make her entrance, and for an awkward second the two people were in each other's way until Grae moved aside to let Cavil out, as she then entered the room, closing the hatch behind her.

Sheepishly, like a schoolchild that had been caught passing notes, she walked over to the Commander's desk, looking at him with sad eyes that were full of uncertainty.

"Something I can do for you, BatCat?" Standish said, using her Viper callsign as her name.

"Sir... you said that if I... that if I wanted to talk..." she said, unsure of what she was really doing. She had never trusted anyone before, and the fact that the Commander came out of the blue and offered to listen to her, was surprising and refreshing.

"Then have a seat." Standish said, gesturing to the chair as he leaned forward to face her more directly. "Why do you do what you do... with the knife?" he asked her, gently and in a soft voice.

It... it helps take the pain away... for a while." she began. "I have trouble feeling... ever since I was a child... my parents... they... they abandoned me. They left me on Caprica when I was ten to fend for myself." she began. "Apparently when I was young they thought I was having temper problems and they sought the advice of an Oracle... my folks were extremely religious, both from Gemenon. The Oracle said that if they just up and left me in the streets of Caprica, I would... "find my direction", whatever the frak that meant." she said.

Standish's features softened, and his face showed sympathy.

"What happened to you on Caprica?" he asked.

"Sir... the things I had to do..." she went on, her voice now breaking, as she struggled not to cry. "The things I was forced to do. I could never place my trust in anyone... after what they did to me... how could I trust anyone again? And their betrayal... their abandonment left such a hurt, that I didn't want to feel anything anymore, until it got to the point where I couldn't feel anything anymore. The only emotion left that I could feel, was pain." she said, as a few tears ran down her cheek. "And when I heard the people talking in here about how Caprica and the other Colonies were gone... how my parents are likely also gone... I don't know. Part of me felt relief, and everything kind of just resurfaced, if that makes any sense."

Standish got up from his chair, and walked over to behind Grae, and placed one hand on her shoulder, using the other hand to wipe the tears from her cheek as she turned around to look up at him.

"You don't have to do this anymore." he began. "I am here for you, and this ship is your home now... you are with people who care about you... remember the first time we met? I knew what I was talking about then, and I know what I'm talking about now." he said, as she stood up and embraced him, burying her face in his arms as she cried.

Grae did not know what was making her open up to the Commander like this, but as she looked at him now, in the light of his own cabin, his face, his whole form, gave off an aura of fatherhood... he was looking at her with sympathy, trust, and even a form of love. He looked paternal... wise and proud, in his perfect and clean uniform and shining badges. She was sure of one thing... something inside of her told her she could trust him, and this one time, she would take that chance, because here finally, was a man who was opening his door and his heart to her and offering a helping hand... and she was going to take it.

The great ship continued her voyage through space, the ships of the fleet behind her.

XO'S CABIN

Brother Cavil sat in the chair across from D'Anna and took a drink of water as she looked up to him, waiting for him to continue his speech.

"So what did you tell him?" she asked.

"Well, I told him the only thing I could, my dear Three... that in light of recent events, it appears that I was wrong about his dreams... it wasn't Earth that Apollo was shooting at... it was Kobol. Ergo, his destiny is just as he said... to lead this fleet back towards the Colonies, and not head in the opposite direction." Cavil stated.

"Why did you do that? I thought you said you wanted Urantia to follow Galactica's path, so it would be easier for our forces to take them both out at once?" D'Anna asked.

Cavil drained the last of the water in his glass, before delivering his reply.

"Yes, well you see my dear... things aren't that simple, I'm afraid... for now we have two new issues to deal with. From what you've told me, these Emilon people were the last group to break from the exodus fleet to Earth. If that's the case, that means that if we allow Urantia to continue on course back towards Kobol, we may encounter the other group that broke away before the Emilons did. This voyage allows us to see just how many pockets of humanity we missed. And it appears that we also have to deal with what looks like a third Battlestar that somehow managed to make it out of the Colonies... a ship called the Pegasus... and from what I've heard from the Sixes, that ship is bigger and more powerful than either Urantia or Galactica. So we'll need to seek out whatever other breakaway groups of humans there are, to gauge their threat level." Cavil explained.

D'Anna nodded in silence, understanding what Cavil was telling her.

- TO BE CONTINUED -
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.