GalacticaBBS: Syfy senior exec explains sending shows on hiatus - GalacticaBBS

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Syfy senior exec explains sending shows on hiatus

#21 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 20 February 2011 - 11:11 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 17 February 2011 - 09:20 PM, said:

Kind of reminds me of MTV not showing music videos anymore... :huh:

And Discovery Channel only showing game shows, Destroyed in Seconds, and Mythbusters. And The Learning Jon and Kate Channel. And History of Ice Road Truckers Channel. And...

#22 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 20 February 2011 - 05:58 PM

View Postensign edwards, on 20 February 2011 - 11:11 AM, said:

And Discovery Channel only showing game shows, Destroyed in Seconds, and Mythbusters. And The Learning Jon and Kate Channel. And History of Ice Road Truckers Channel. And...

Tut tut tut tut....

Mythbusters is NOT a game show, mon ami. :cylonnono:
It is practically applied science and experimentation to conventional wisdoms, movie physics, old wives' tales and everyday expressions we take for granted as 'true'.
It is VERY MUCH a science show, and belongs on the Discover channel. It is NOT a game show in ANY way, as there are no contestants, no prizes given, no new cars handed out. There are science teachers (in my wife's school, in fact) that use this show for some of their classrooms as it touches on chemistry, physics, meteorology, etc. Kids and young adults really respond to this show, as it sneaks in valuable science applications in between the booms and the stunts (lives have been saved because of this show; really). Some of the stunts shown have great practical value. For example; one episode showed the fastest way to evacuate a sinking car when the doors are jammed shut by water pressure, or what are the best techniques to put out a fast burning oil kitchen fire (my own sister had one of those happen; not pretty).
But the Mythbusters are NOT contestants, nor are they eliminated or kicked off of an island, etc. :cylonnono:
Posted Image
As an ARDENT Mythbusters' fan (been watching the show for about 7 years now; my wife and I love it), I felt the need to jump in on this one and clear their name. ;) :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#23 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2013 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones

Posted 20 February 2011 - 07:00 PM

It is all about skrill, gwap, duckets, cash, moolah, greenbacks, bills, gouda, goat, dead presidents, clink, scratch, coin, change, euro, shilling, farthing, paper, yaper, monz, bigface, franklin, small face, george, rupel, dinero, yen, flow, scrap.

/thread
Posted Image

#24 User is offline   I Voted Baltar Icon

• Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion
  • View blog
  • Interests:Me, beer and Grace Park.

Posted 21 February 2011 - 04:35 AM

Mythbusters has a good point to it. Similar to Brainiac... but Brainiac seems to focus on more pointless things (such as what floats better, natural breasts or implants?) and destroying caravans.

As for money... without money, things can't get done. Sadly. I was surprised to learn in my transition to theatre that they don't worry about money. Well, they do, they just don't worry aout a return. It's the only thing left that will shell out money for the art and not for profit.
Posted Image
James St James | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.

#25 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:12 PM

View PostI Voted Baltar, on 21 February 2011 - 04:35 AM, said:

pointless things (such as what floats better, natural breasts or implants?) and destroying caravans.

Wha? Huh?
Both of those are critical issues! I'm Cylon-Knight and I support this post. :P
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."
Posted Image

#26 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:space.and the conquest of this world.

Posted 22 February 2011 - 07:23 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 19 February 2011 - 11:47 AM, said:

Oh I wasn't joking about the cooking show. It premiers in March :roflmao:

It is called Marcel's Quantum Kitchen. Link below. Enjoy!

Marcel's Quantum Kitchen

Fraking pitiful.

#27 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 23 February 2011 - 11:08 AM

It is practically applied science and experimentation to conventional wisdoms, movie physics, old wives' tales and everyday expressions we take for granted as 'true'.
It is VERY MUCH a science show, and belongs on the Discover channel. It is NOT a game show in ANY way, as there are no contestants, no prizes given, no new cars handed out. There are science teachers (in my wife's school, in fact) that use this show for some of their classrooms as it touches on chemistry, physics, meteorology, etc. Kids and young adults really respond to this show, as it sneaks in valuable science applications in between the booms and the stunts (lives have been saved because of this show; really). Some of the stunts shown have great practical value. For example; one episode showed the fastest way to evacuate a sinking car when the doors are jammed shut by water pressure, or what are the best techniques to put out a fast burning oil kitchen fire (my own sister had one of those happen; not pretty).

I don't recall implying it was a game show.

Anyway, I'm not saying Mythbusters is a bad show, but let's be honest here, it's not exactly hard-hitting science. I would have no problem with it at all if the Discovery Channel had it as well as good documentaries and deep scientific shows, but when Mythbusters is possibly the most scientific thing they have? Something's gone wrong.

#28 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 23 February 2011 - 04:40 PM

View Postensign edwards, on 23 February 2011 - 11:08 AM, said:

I don't recall implying it was a game show.

Anyway, I'm not saying Mythbusters is a bad show, but let's be honest here, it's not exactly hard-hitting science. I would have no problem with it at all if the Discovery Channel had it as well as good documentaries and deep scientific shows, but when Mythbusters is possibly the most scientific thing they have? Something's gone wrong.

But seriously; there IS a lot of good science on the show; they just dress it up with a lot of explosions! :lol:
But truly, a LOT of high school science teachers are using the show to get kids into science, and that IMO, is a damn good thing! :thumbsup:

If only the Syphilis--er, SyFy channel had nearly as much science fiction in one of their offerings... :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#29 User is offline   I Voted Baltar Icon

• Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion
  • View blog
  • Interests:Me, beer and Grace Park.

Posted 24 February 2011 - 04:58 AM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 22 February 2011 - 07:12 PM, said:

Wha? Huh?
Both of those are critical issues! I'm Cylon-Knight and I support this post. :P

If thats the kind of research you like, give this a try ;)

http://www.metacafe....irls_pheromone/

Insane show. Sadly, I couldn't find one of the many caravan explosions :(
Posted Image
James St James | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.