GalacticaBBS: Concept art for "Blood & Chrome" - GalacticaBBS

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Concept art for "Blood & Chrome" Production art for the pilot; courtesy of SyFy.com

#1 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 December 2010 - 02:43 AM

Found this via a link at Trekweb.com.
SyFy.com has released production art from "Blood & Chrome," and I must say, the artwork looks very interesting indeed.
Some of it reminds me a lot of Ralph McQuarrie's production artwork from "Empire Strikes Back."
Here is the link. Enjoy! :cylonclap:

An early "Christmas Present" from Cylon Claus! :cylonnono: :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#2 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:26 AM

Cool! Indeed, the Ralph McQ look may be intentional, after all, he was involved in the visual fx of at least the TOS pilot.
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:space.and the conquest of this world.

Posted 25 December 2010 - 05:31 AM

I don't like the look of the Cylon .no red sweeping eye.whats up with that?

#4 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2013 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:43 AM

I don't like the idea of a new Cylon model in a prequel series that we have never seen or heard of before. Never did like the idea of backdooring new stuff.

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image

Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 25 December 2010 - 09:29 AM

And it looks like with the Cylon snow snake (or whatever the hell it is), we see that the Cylons were experimenting with creating other life forms besides humanoid-shaped analogs. And yeah, I'm not sure I like the non-red eye Cylon robots, either; too generic looking. It's the redeye and the vocoder grill that are iconic. :cylonclap:

I hope they don't do a "Terminator: Salvation" and cram a bunch of non-canonical CGI s**t into the show just because it looks cool (the snowsnake and the 'faceless' centurions are not encouraging; even if the art is interesting).

I remember seeing T:S in the theatre and thinking, these giant transforming terminators and watersnake terminators looked like a big, violent toy commercial. :cylonnono:
I sincerely hope the producers of "B&C" stick to what they know, and don't turn it into mindless action for action's (and toy sales) sake.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 25 December 2010 - 11:29 AM

Mostly interesting, I guess. I don't mind the new Cylon models on the whole (personally, I think the revamped old school ones are still kind of cheesy and not something I want to see more than once or twice), but they do need the red scan eye. That's what makes a Cylon a Cylon. Also, I desperately hope we don't see any Cylon snow snakes. That's just silly.

I sincerely hope the producers of "B&C" stick to what they know, and don't turn it into mindless action for action's (and toy sales) sake.

Sadly, I suspect that's what we're likely to get.

#7 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 25 December 2010 - 04:50 PM

This is bad ass though

Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 25 December 2010 - 06:30 PM

Posted Image

Maybe Six's mother? :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 25 December 2010 - 08:22 PM

The new Cylon robot... ugh... it is just too far removed. There is “re-inventing” and “re-imagination” but then there is just plain old starting over. It is too far removed... looks like something out of a video game like HALO - not something from Battlestar Galactica.

The snow monster... eh... it’s a bit “Hoth” and or “Star Trek (2009) ice planet Kirk / Spock were on. And the Raiders are some sort of “a little Razor” and “a little Classic.” Not that impressive. And what is up with that snow monster? It has what seems to be a glowing red eye… did the Cylons go into making huge monsters for a bit or something? What the heck? WHY?

Girl robot killing some human... Terminator 3 anyone? Here arm is starting to morph into the human shape its touching... Terminator 2 anyone?

The ship at the bottom, that’s cool, but nothing AMAZING. It’s a space ship that looks sort of like a Raptor and it has red markings like a classic Viper.

So far, the concepts are cool, but they wouldn't sell me on this show being made if I was a TV show producer, I'd have to see more before I invested in it.
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."ť
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:09 AM

The female robot reminds me more of the borg queen.

#11 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2010 - 01:54 AM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 25 December 2010 - 08:22 PM, said:

The new Cylon robot... ugh... it is just too far removed. There is “re-inventing” and “re-imagination” but then there is just plain old starting over. It is too far removed... looks like something out of a video game like HALO - not something from Battlestar Galactica.

The snow monster... eh... it’s a bit “Hoth” and or “Star Trek (2009) ice planet Kirk / Spock were on. And the Raiders are some sort of “a little Razor” and “a little Classic.” Not that impressive. And what is up with that snow monster? It has what seems to be a glowing red eye… did the Cylons go into making huge monsters for a bit or something? What the heck? WHY?

Girl robot killing some human... Terminator 3 anyone? Here arm is starting to morph into the human shape its touching... Terminator 2 anyone?

The ship at the bottom, that’s cool, but nothing AMAZING. It’s a space ship that looks sort of like a Raptor and it has red markings like a classic Viper.

So far, the concepts are cool, but they wouldn't sell me on this show being made if I was a TV show producer, I'd have to see more before I invested in it.

Hmm. Pretty much agree with everything you say, but I think I liked the female killer robot just a smidgeon more than you did as it seems a 'logical' step between robot Cylons and female skinjobs like Six, but yeah, nothing else really JUMPS out at me.

The snow-snake Cylon is just plain bulls**t, ladies and gents. Pass... :cylonnono:

But I do like the Ralph McQuarrie style of the artwork. As maneth properly pointed out, he did the production artwork on TOS BSG.
Here is a link to peruse it: Ralph McQuarrie BSG art/Galacticatv.com
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:41 AM

Oh yeah, one more thing....

THIS IS NOT A CYLON!!!!
:ranting:
Posted Image

Thank you for your attention.... :D :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 26 December 2010 - 09:26 AM

Thats not even a distant cousin....

#14 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:15 AM

View Postsean, on 26 December 2010 - 09:26 AM, said:

Thats not even a distant cousin....

..... not even an ugly, red-headed, bastard stepchild. :cylonnono:

You can't just throw a bunch of robot parts together and call it a Cylon; there is a design aesthetic. Look at the NuBSG miniseries; we see tall, sleek robots but with the red eye and the vocoder grill. And the overall design is a clear (and logical) step up from the more humanoid centurions we've seen.

These 'things' in the production art are just NOT Cylons (nor is that dumb, Cylon snow snake; while I appreciate the fact that Cylons might experiment with non-humanoid life, this thing just looks ridiculous and utterly nonsensical. Just 'cool' for the sake of cool; and future toy sales... :cylonnono:
(Although I really do like the "Metropolis"-styled female robot Cylon; sort of an intermediary between centurions and Six. Cool beans...)
Posted Image < The evil robot Maria from Fritz Lang's classic "Metropolis" (1925); a proto-Cylon.

Needless to say, I am very cautious in my enthusiasm for "B&C".
I really wish the powers that be would just go back and watch "Razor" again (the extended cut). Don't redesign (and recast) what is already (more or less) fixed continuity (cyborg snow snakes???).
In simpler language, "DON'T F**K WITH IT, FELLAS!" :ranting:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:18 AM

The art is what I think is bad ass. I'll say it again though, I do not like the idea of backdooring new stuff that we haven't seen before.
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:21 AM

It looks like they are definitely going for the eye candy and special effects in this one. Maybe because Caprica was soooo slow they are trying to bounce back hard with the action. Don't get me wrong, I like my eye candy and have no problem with the new look. My issue is there has to be a strong story behind the special effects then it'll still head the same way as Caprica.

#17 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2010 - 10:36 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 26 December 2010 - 10:21 AM, said:

It looks like they are definitely going for the eye candy and special effects in this one. Maybe because Caprica was soooo slow they are trying to bounce back hard with the action. Don't get me wrong, I like my eye candy and have no problem with the new look. My issue is there has to be a strong story behind the special effects then it'll still head the same way as Caprica.

And even with the perfect mix of drama and action, it's not as if the parent show (BSG) was a big ratings winner either.
Again, not to be too 'gloom and doom' but I really wish they'd just s**t can the idea of any more BSG prequels. BSG ended perfectly; another prequel is about as necessary as nipples on my elbows.

If Cylon snow snakes were relevant to the world of BSG? We'd have heard of them. Truth is, this is just (as dave pointed out) the producers 'backdooring' a lot of retro-continuity crap into the BSG mythology. Again, I don't mind a "B&C" movie (but not a full series), as long as it sticks to, and is consistent with, the BSG universe (ala "Razor"), but don't try to sell me on Cylon snow snakes or Halo-robots. That's just a bunch of crap. The "Terminator Salvation" approach; when your story is done and out of gas, throw in a bunch of "Transformer" style-visuals and eye candy and hope the audience doesn't look under the curtain.... :unsure: :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 26 December 2010 - 11:59 AM

Yeah, you really can't add new stuff that much this is a "middle" story. If you go off on some crazy tangent then why bother telling the middle part of another story - just make a NEW story.
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."ť
Posted Image

#19 User is offline   I Voted Baltar Icon

• Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion
  • View blog
  • Interests:Me, beer and Grace Park.

Posted 26 December 2010 - 12:08 PM

I'm uncertain if any of this will make the final cut, or if it's just brainstorming art. I like the idea of the cylon-human hybrid as a step between, but with what young Adama saw in BSG, it'd make more sense to me if it was a patched up human. Like a Doc Brown creation.

The snake... I'll agree with everyone here and just say... no.
Posted Image
James St James | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.

#20 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2010 - 02:17 PM

View PostI Voted Baltar, on 26 December 2010 - 12:08 PM, said:

I'm uncertain if any of this will make the final cut, or if it's just brainstorming art. I like the idea of the cylon-human hybrid as a step between, but with what young Adama saw in BSG, it'd make more sense to me if it was a patched up human. Like a Doc Brown creation.

The snake... I'll agree with everyone here and just say... no.

I'm just waiting for the Cylon that turns into a muscle car.... :blink:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.