SyFy Cancels Caprica!

#1 User is offline   Tom Icon

• Co-Owner of Galactica.com/GalacticaBBS.com
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Owners

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:14 PM

http://ausiellofiles...ancels-caprica/

Caprica is toast. Syfy has announced that the low-rated Battlestar Galactica prequel has been canceled.

“The remaining first run episodes of Caprica – airing Tuesdays at 10/9c – will be removed from the schedule as of next Tuesday, November 2,” said the network in a statement. “These final five episodes of the season will be re-scheduled to air at a to be announced time in the first quarter of 2011, and will conclude the run of the series.”
“We appreciate all the support that fans have shown for Caprica and are very proud of the producers, cast, writers and the rest of the amazing team that has been committed to this fine series,” said Mark Stern, EVP of Original Programming at Syfy. “Unfortunately, despite its obvious quality, Caprica has not been able to build the audience necessary to justify a second season.”

The news comes less than a week after Syfy unveiled plans for another Galactica prequel, this one set 10 years into the first Cylon war.

Galactica.com & GalacticaBBS.com - Founder & Co-Owner
Star Trek Renegades - Associate Producer
TrekUnited.com - Co-Founder & Co-Manager
WalterKoenigSite.com - Webmaster of Walter Koenig's Offical Site.
PlanetXpo.com - Event Co-Organizer & Webmaster
StarTrekOfGodsAndMen.com & Renegade-Studios.com - Webmaster

#2 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:44 PM

This is by no means surprising, but it is disappointing.

They could at least have the decency to let us finish watching the season now. Frack more waiting.

#3 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:space.and the conquest of this world.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:48 PM

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2014 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:49 PM

I have nothing pleasant to say.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 06:57 PM

*Prays for SG:U.*

#6 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:06 PM

Sad news for Caprica fans, but seriously? I file this news under NO SURPRISES. And I wouldn't be surprised if it's cancelation kills "Blood and Chrome" too. :cylonnono:
I'm more sad for all of the unrealized potential in the idea of the show, not in what it the show actually was.

I really think they should wrap up the story in a good, 2 hour movie though; granted, there may be a lot of time jumping (we BSG fans are used to that, what with "Razor" and "The Plan"; not to mention "Lay Down Your Burdens" and the 150,000 year jump in "Daybreak."). And a 2 hr window might give the movie a much-needed fire lit under its a$$, and condense the action to make it a real potboiler.
:cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:27 PM

Caprica has been one big frack up from the start. It's shame that it got cancelled before it had chance to redeem itself. As OT said it'll probably kill Blood and Chrome. Saying that if they actually put some action into it and special effects then they might be onto a winner.

#8 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:38 PM

Doesn't sound like we will get anykind of wrap up based off that press release. The way they wrote the show with its pace and jumping around led them to write themselves out of the show.

What I would think would be really lame without a mini-wrap would be blood and chrome trying to wrap it up for us with flashbacks or 'this is why this happned' moments. That would really suck.

What a buzz kill.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:42 PM

Basically they are going to air the rest of the season this then release the DVD 2 weeks later, and just before Xmas. For $50 you can have 10 episodes of Caprica 1.5.

Fifty-eight years before the events of Battlestar Galactica, mankind is wrestling with the question of what makes one human, and sealing its own fate of certain destruction. Alliances are made, secrets are revealed, and lives are forever changed while the conflict between man and machine takes shape. As the season races towards its stunning conclusion, the seeds are sown for the inevitable, brutal clash between the newly-born Cylon race and its human creators. Presented uninterrupted and in Dolby 5.1 surround sound, the first season of the critically-acclaimed drama from Executive Producers Ronald D. Moore and David Eick comes to a thrilling climax in Caprica Season 1.5.

Late last week we posted the heads-up that Caprica - Season 1.5 was coming to DVD soon. Today Universal Studios Home Entertainment made it official, announcing a 3-disc release available only in the DVD format, at a battlestar-sized cost of $49.98 SRP. The street date is December 21st, timed to arrive just a couple of weeks after the season finale airs on Syfy (not to mention just days in front of Christmas). Besides the episodes, the set will contain "hours of exclusive Bonus Features, including Deleted Scenes, Commentary, Video Blogs and Podcasts with Executive Producer David Eick". Below is a look at the packaging. Also, in case you haven't heard, there's another Galactica prequel spin-off being planned for 2011/2012. Wow!

Taken from: http://tvshowsondvd....7#ixzz13bqwlFmQ

#10 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:43 PM

Looks like a cash grab if ever I saw one.

#11 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:47 PM

Talk about a ridiculous price grab. The DVD will be out before it airs in the first Q of 2011? Eh...
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   ColonialMarine Icon

• Callsign Grunt
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2010 - 07:53 PM

Well, at least we finally got to see a Cylon off some mobsters. Too much teen angst drama/soap opera and not enough action and tech FX is what killed it.
Posted ImagePosted Image Posted Image

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Tom Icon

• Co-Owner of Galactica.com/GalacticaBBS.com
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Owners

Posted 27 October 2010 - 08:35 PM

Actually beyond the low ratings the word is Syfy is clearing it out of the way for Blood and Chrome since they feel it will could be a bigger hit as it is more closer to BSG then caprica ever could be. We will see.
Galactica.com & GalacticaBBS.com - Founder & Co-Owner
Star Trek Renegades - Associate Producer
TrekUnited.com - Co-Founder & Co-Manager
WalterKoenigSite.com - Webmaster of Walter Koenig's Offical Site.
PlanetXpo.com - Event Co-Organizer & Webmaster
StarTrekOfGodsAndMen.com & Renegade-Studios.com - Webmaster

#14 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

Posted 27 October 2010 - 09:35 PM

Unfortunately, I don't see Blood and Chrome having much potential. More explosions doesn't make a better story.

#15 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:36 PM

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHH!

In other news....
Cylon-Knight Cancels SyFy!

This boy is going to Cyloncott the network. *hu-rumph* I am sure they get more viewers with GIANT ANT, Wrestling and more Ghost Hunters. (NOT)

*reminder to self to dump getting any SyFy emails. I don't need to see 9,987,382 episodes of Ghost Hunters in a row either.
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."¯
Posted Image

#16 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:38 PM

View Postensign edwards, on 27 October 2010 - 06:57 PM, said:

*Prays for SG:U.*

You better get 1.8 million viewers to pray with you!
Next on SyFy: the Martha Stewart show.
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 27 October 2010 - 10:39 PM

View Postensign edwards, on 27 October 2010 - 09:35 PM, said:

Unfortunately, I don't see Blood and Chrome having much potential. More explosions doesn't make a better story.

Indeed. It should be called "Crash and Burn" as that is what will happen to it. IF it happens.
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 October 2010 - 11:16 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 27 October 2010 - 10:38 PM, said:

You better get 1.8 million viewers to pray with you!
Next on SyFy: the Martha Stewart show.

:roflmao:

Maybe Project Runway, too! :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:26 AM

Oh dear. IMO it was only a matter of time. Without having seen a single episode of the show (I've read the script of the pilot though due to the fact that it was legally available online for a short time by mistake) I felt it tried to be too many things to too many people. It's too weird and science-fictiony for those who normally watch drama shows, and there's not enough action for the majority of, say, BSG fans.
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Ravenshayde Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Buffy, Angel, Charmed, Lost, Heroes Battlestar Galactica, Deep Space Nine (courtesy of my boyfriend making me watching it :p), Sci-Fi Conventions, Wrestling, Music (mainly rocky stuff), Tattoos, Piercings, Drinking Beer hehehe!

Posted 28 October 2010 - 01:48 AM

View PostTom, on 27 October 2010 - 08:35 PM, said:

Actually beyond the low ratings the word is Syfy is clearing it out of the way for Blood and Chrome since they feel it will could be a bigger hit as it is more closer to BSG then caprica ever could be. We will see.

Agreed, although I believe they should leave the franchise alone now, nothing is ever going to be BSG and they should stop trying.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 3 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.