GalacticaBBS: G:1980 Re-Evaluated - GalacticaBBS

• 5 Pages +
  • « First

G:1980 Re-Evaluated Yes, it's bad for you, but also lots of fun!

#81 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 September 2010 - 10:49 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 13 September 2010 - 09:11 PM, said:

Members can specifically post about a single episode in those threads if they want. When referring to three episodes at once don't post 3 identical posts (repeat the post in each episode's thread) - two of the identical posts would probably be moderated / deleted.

Sweeping comparisons are better left this (or one of the other) "generic" G1980 threads.

There is no need to spiral into insanity as G1980 did :rolleyes: ... and have the boards full of crazy identical posts.

I was going to say all that; but then I realized I'd be double posting! :P ;)

As for episode recaps, that is not my aim with this thread; my point was to try to re-evaluate the series; not reboot/remake it, or point out all of it's flaws (we have a ton of threads for all of that), or nit-pick it's technical stuff (useless in this kind of show anyway), but my goal was to ask; is there anything in G1980 that can be re-evaluated as 'good' after so many (including myself) seemed to think it's just irredeemable garbage? In attempting to answer that, I revisited some of the episodes and I was a little surprised that once I scraped off the burnt-on cheese layer, I found some interesting bits here and there. So, I think my posts about certain points in specific episodes spoke for themselves.
I mean, I suppose there's good things in a garbage dumpster, if you know where and what to look for... :lol:

One of the things about G1980 that (IMO) bore reconsideration was it's attempt to insert some educational value into it's episodes for it's younger viewers (who would theoretically be watching at it's then-7 pm timeslot). Frankly, I find that commendable (even though the show was a disaster in so many other ways). :thumbsup:

Not a lot of TV shows (certainly not reality shows) offer any real substance to young people these days, and that's kind of sad... :( :cylonnono:

Also, once I went through them a little more, I found them (burnt cheese and all) to be wildly entertaining. So silly, as to be high-camp. So, maybe I was wrong in my early slams of the show; yes, it stunk as a sequel to it's superior parent show, but on it's own terms as camp, lightweight fluff?
It kind of works in a perverse way... :cylonclap:

Once again; CK is right, the little bugger! :P ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#82 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:39 PM

A show should always try to reflect the issues of its times, and or "classic issues" no matter its setting or it could be a flop.
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."
Posted Image

#83 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 13 September 2010 - 11:50 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 13 September 2010 - 11:39 PM, said:

A show should always try to reflect the issues of its times, and or "classic issues" no matter its setting or it could be a flop.

And surprisingly (almost shockingly so), G1980 made an attempt to do so (with issues of racism, toxic waste dumping, etc). I even recall the horrific episode "Spaceball" that had an handicapped former baseball player running a baseball camp for kids (worked in two issues for the price of one; the writers must've had a sale that week...). :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#84 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 21 January 2011 - 10:18 AM

Blowing more 'space dust' off of this thread (just for s**ts and giggles...) POOF!

Just re-watched most of "Galactica Discovers Earth" parts 1, 2 the other day.
I know the show is show rife with continuity missteps that I could write a book on it, but it's kind of funny how the Colonials forgot their own measuring systems.
Adama says they have endured "these many years" in the wilderness of space (so yahrens are out then, I take it?).
And he tells Dr Zee that they haven't seen the forces of the Cylon Alliance in a "billion star miles" (?!?). Uh, what the frak??
Is that some lame melding of Imperial measurement with light years?? Oh boy... whatever happened to 'hectares'?
I also noticed they totally stopped with the smaller colonial time measurements of centons, microns, etc as well (that's the ONLY misstep that makes sense however; maybe they adopted earth time as they approached the planet, just as the Mars rovers work on 'Sols' rather than earth days; a martian sol is about 24 hrs and 39 minutes). You hear Troy and Dillon frequently say "minute" and "second", and Dr Zee says "our knowledge of earth grows with every hour" (maybe Zee was just showing off; smart-a$$ punk kid... :cylonnono: :lol: ).

Now to be fair (as I always strive to be :innocent: ), even the TOS pilot, "Saga of a Star World" frequently goofed on these things, but that can be explained as normal 'settling in' adjustments that often happen during pilots/early episodes of a series (Star Trek TNG took THREE YEARS to find it's legs). And even NuBSG had a teensy bit of trouble with these sorts of things. The Armistice officer's papers referred to 'yahrens' not years, and Mr Gaeta (gay-tuh) is pronounced Guy-ta (mostly by Col Tigh).

I know that G1980 is just a hot mess (but wildly entertaining, I must say) and I shouldn't be nit-picking it so, but sometimes shooting fish in a barrel can be a lot o' fun! :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#85 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 21 January 2011 - 01:01 PM

I found G80 online a couple of months ago and tried to watch it. After the first 15 minutes I was irritated, there's a scene where Dr Zee is showing what would happen if the Cylons found Earth. They ended up watching a movie of the Cylon's blowing stuff up. This isn't bad but they took a disaster movie and threw in some Cylon raiders. As I mentioned the scene went on for FARRRRR to long, how can they be using filler in the first episode of a new series????

#86 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 22 January 2011 - 12:22 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 21 January 2011 - 01:01 PM, said:

I found G80 online a couple of months ago and tried to watch it. After the first 15 minutes I was irritated, there's a scene where Dr Zee is showing what would happen if the Cylons found Earth. They ended up watching a movie of the Cylon's blowing stuff up. This isn't bad but they took a disaster movie and threw in some Cylon raiders. As I mentioned the scene went on for FARRRRR to long, how can they be using filler in the first episode of a new series????

Even all the viper footage was stock as well; the entry into earth's atmosphere was cribbed from "Gun on Ice Planet Zero", the Cylons strafing LA was composited with footage from the 1974 movie, "Earthquake" and even the orbital shots were taken from Glen Larson's own "Buck Rogers" pilot/movie.
It's interesting how no attempt was made to match the exterior viper stock footage with the new modified "two-seater" Vipers.

Pretty dismal start; and that's just the special effects!
You also have TWO characters named Willie in the pilot; a surly biker and a nine year old moppet kid. What, did they run out of names or something??
Bad scripting. Not to mention the total theft of storyline from the original "Day the Earth Stood Still"; with 'Mr Brady' (the late Robert Reed; who's actually pretty good in the role he's given) playing the noble scientist, and Dillon and Troy 'doing a Klaatu' by rewriting parts of Mr Brady's nuclear degeneration formula (which is now done with a ugly, bulky, late '70s model computer, as opposed to DTESS's chalkboard). Total ripoff; not an homage, but a RIPOFF. :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

• 5 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.