GalacticaBBS: The music makes the moments in BSG - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

The music makes the moments in BSG Join in and have a listen

#1 User is offline   Alastor Reganon Icon

• Tavern Owner: Call sign: Prometheus
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:The three meanings of life, the written word, Parkour and online communication. I protect that which matters most.

Posted 13 September 2009 - 10:32 AM

Here you describe moments during any episode of Battlestar Galactica where the scene wouldn't be complete without the music to match.

Post links or descriptions and share your thoughts.

Posted Image

Inside Mr. McCreary garage.
VITA HIC ERAM ILLIC - DUODECIM COLONIA KOBOL
Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image
SEQUOR VESTRI TO ORDER - BONUS VENATIO

#2 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• Co-Owner of Galatica.com/Galacticabbs.com - Callsign Tomcat
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Owners
  • Interests:Battlestar Galactica

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:55 PM

I have been a big fan of the music going all the way back to the original series as well.

My first favorite from the new series has to be back in the mini series to the scene of Galactica going to Ragnar inbetween shots of Capt Kelly walking through the dead and Starbuck praying. I give you the Storm of the Dead by Richard Gibbs.

Such a great scene!
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

Secondly I would have to add the episode Pegasus. This is one episode where Bear had to create 3 totally different songs. None to any one character.

Starting off with finding the Pegasus

Pegasus by Bear McCreary

Then Adm Cain coming aboard...

Lords of Kobol by Bear McCreary

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:57 PM

I'm getting my men...Commander Adama

Prelude to War by Bear McCreary

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 13 September 2009 - 01:58 PM

But how could any Battlestar Galactica fan not like this

Original Battlestar Galactica Theme by Stu Phillips

Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Alastor Reganon Icon

• Interests:The three meanings of life, the written word, Parkour and online communication. I protect that which matters most.

Posted 13 September 2009 - 02:07 PM

My own personal favorite is the "Roslin and Adama" symphony.

They played this, and variants of this, during conversations between the two. It's the song that I will always remeber, one of the reasons being because it played in the end of the series as Roslin departed. Just seeing Adama sitting on the hill having a monolog...Posted Image True Titanic momentPosted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 13 September 2009 - 03:51 PM

Colonial Anthem by Bear McCreary set to Classic Battlestar Galactica. This is one of my favorite videos on youtube.

Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#8 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 13 September 2009 - 06:01 PM

I'd have to say "The Storm" from the pilot miniseries by Richard Gibbs is my single piece of favorite new BSG music (if anyone asks me for a sample of new BSG music, I'd play that). Even from the first night I heard it while watching the mini, I wanted to own that piece of music; those VOCALS are incredible, and the instrumentation is so atypical of what is normally used in space opera.
*"Colonial Anthem" from season 2 is also a favorite; Stu Philips' theme re-rendered in a Bear McCreary wash (more funky and organic sounding than Philips' grand march-style motif)! LOVE the teiko drums!
*The "Promise" theme from season 2 (Kara and Sam's theme), with it's heavy strings is another favorite (kind of a departure for Bear McCreary; and VERY beautiful...almost like a morose Vivaldi).
*I also loved the melodic, piano-based "Time Jump" music used in the finale to illustrate New York '150,000 years later'; it's a gentler reworking of the 'One Year Later' theme after Baltar is elected president in "Lay Down Your Burdens, 2." I swear, the whole time I was in NY last April, I heard this music in the back of my head!

From classic BSG, I have 2 (of many) that come to mind:
*The "Main Title/Exploration" music; when I was a kid, I think I filed down the needle on my record player from over-playing this tune. Essentially a triumphant march, but with a hauntingly mysterious subtext.
*Also love the "Exodus" music. Hopeful, and very strong with humanity; the light from the darkness.
*And the "Viper Launch" music deserves a VERY honorable mention (the perfect 'California freeway onramp' theme when I go to work; California freeways can be just as dangerous as any Cylon ambush, let me tell you!)

I could post in this topic all day, but these will have to do.... until I think of more (or I buy the CAPRICA soundtrack). :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 User is offline   Proxím Icon

• Ensign
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working with computers and repairing equipment. It has served me well through my years of service in this fleet as I've become one of the few top ranked engineers in the fleet.

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:46 AM

My own two personal favorites are: Admiral & Commander

and Battlestar Sonatica

Posted Image

For it is not religion that destroy worlds but ignorance.
Place of birth: Caprica City

#10 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 14 September 2009 - 07:24 PM

This particular episode wasn't the best, but this song is one of my faves.

Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#11 User is offline   Proxím Icon

• Ensign
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working with computers and repairing equipment. It has served me well through my years of service in this fleet as I've become one of the few top ranked engineers in the fleet.

Posted 15 September 2009 - 11:23 AM

Agreed, that song is pretty damn awesome.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 16 September 2009 - 09:57 AM

As far as scenes where the music makes the scene, I'd say the viper landing from "Hand of God" is the first that comes to mind. Wander My Friends might be my favourite piece of BSG music, and it perfectly suits the feeling of hard won joy in that scene. That's probably still my favourite moment from the series.

Another obvious choice is the finale of "Pegasus." Prelude to War is simply brilliant, and it adds so much to that scene.

Another one is the scene from "Revelations" where Kara finds the way to Earth and is running to tell Lee before it's too late. IMO, that's gotta be one of the best scenes from the series, and the music really ratcheted up the already high tension level.

Since Proxim reminded me, I also feel I should mention Battlestar Sonatica. It's very haunting, and it perfectly fits the surreal nature of the basestar scenes.

The song Pegasus also deserves an honorable mention. It's not one of my favourites (I like it, but there are a lot that I like more), but it is very subtle and well done. It seems happy on the surface, but it somehow manages to carry an undercurrent of foreboding that foreshadows the dark things that were to come. Very clever, if you ask me.

#13 User is offline   Alastor Reganon Icon

Posted 17 September 2009 - 04:57 PM

I don't know...

In my opinion the "Battlestar Sonatica" is, dare I say, too good for even a Battlestar Galactica scene.

It's so beautiful and elegant. I don't know where else it would fit better in the series though.

I mean, what better place for an alien piece of art then ABOARD an alien piece of art.Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 User is offline   Proxím Icon

• Ensign
  • View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 20 September 2009 - 12:56 PM

Too good, don't give me that. It fits perfectly, otherwise it wouldn't seem so perfect when they play it in the series.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.