GalacticaBBS: Was Starbuck A Ghost? Angel? Wizard? - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Was Starbuck A Ghost? Angel? Wizard? 'Battlestar Galactica' producer takes on one of biggest questi

#1 User is offline   Ravenshayde Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Buffy, Angel, Charmed, Lost, Heroes Battlestar Galactica, Deep Space Nine (courtesy of my boyfriend making me watching it :p), Sci-Fi Conventions, Wrestling, Music (mainly rocky stuff), Tattoos, Piercings, Drinking Beer hehehe!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 07:55 AM

Just like that, right in the middle of a conversation with Lee Adama, Starbuck disappeared in the middle of an African field.

It was one of the final scenes of the critically acclaimed "Battlestar Galactica" on what was once known as the SciFi Channel, and it left viewers wondering what exactly Katee Sackhoff's character was resurrected as following her third season death.

One person who would know the answer is former executive producer David Eick. However, as candid as he typically is about aspects of the show already seen, even Eick didn't have much of an answer to this question.

"We were still on the fence on what Starbuck was, and that became the most central conversation," Eick told reporters, including Airlock Alpha, during press roundtables at San Diego Comic-Con. Writers of the show were trying to figure out exactly how to handle Starbuck right to the very end.

To make it work, however, the crew decided to take a look at another epic journey -- that of the Lord of the Rings series.

"I think we probably looked at Gandalf as a model," Eick said. Gandalf dies in the "Fellowship of the Ring," but instead resurrects to evole from a grey wizard to a white wizard by "The Two Towers."

While Starbuck was not exactly magical, her resurrection could have had some divine intervention.

"I don't think there is an explanation without getting steeped into some sort of zombie or metaphysical or mitochlorian explanation that would satisfactorily explain her return unless it was something purely metaphysical like Gandalf of Lord of the Rings, which at a certain level, you accept," Eick said.

Although "Battlestar Galactica" was known for being a very dark series, the three-part finale was at least one episode where writers and producers were looking to balance the emotional response from viewers, Eick said.

"We sort of leave Apollo ... Lee ... alone," he said. "There is a sadness to both his final destiny, and in a way to Tyrol's. I think balancing the melancholy with the hopeful, and circling to that last acknowledgement that everything that has happened before doesn't have to happen again."

Moving into a prequel spinoff can be difficult, especially when everyone knows how the story ends. But "Caprica" shouldn't have to suffer from such an obstacle.

"It's not a shower about the aftermath of a holocaust, so there is not a gun to the head of the show as you open each episode," Eick said, talking about how "Caprica" will be different from "Battlestar."

"Instead, it's like watching a World War II drama. You know the allies are going to win, you know Hitler is going down. But to see it play out and discover new truths and who the heroes are and who fracked over who ... just becomes a certain richness in the anticipation of knowing the outcome, but understanding how you got there."

And how the "Battlestar" universe got to where it ended up can be traced back to a single event featured in the made-for-DVD "Caprica" pilot.

"This is really about how a little girl hatches an egg that will one day result in the downfall of humanity," Eick said.

To see the complete video of Eick's chat with reporters at Comic-Con, including my question about how the metaphysical nature of "Battlestar" will transfer to "Caprica," click here.

"Caprica" premieres in January on Syfy. The final half-season -- and the complete box set of the entire series -- of "Battlestar Galactica" is now available on DVD and Blu-ray.

Source: www.airlockalpha.com
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:36 AM

I say an angel. Whether one believes or not (I err on the side of agnosticism, personally), it fits everything. Her special destiny, the prophecy, Leoben's whackjob visions, everything. My friend and I were watching "Daybreak" recently and said something very interesting; that Kara came back not only to lead them to earth, but to ease her loved ones into accepting her death (which the Adama boys clearly struggled with). When they reached Earth, with the conflict behind them, they were much more ready to move on (which is why the Kara-angel asked Lee what he was going to do; to make sure he was approaching his days ahead with renewed purpose, and not brooding over the losses of the past).

Not to mention the fact that it provides a (perhaps unintentional) symmetry with TOS. In TOS, they had the 'Angels' in the Ship of Lights, who were the 'custodians of the universe' as Adama put it ("Clean up in Galaxy M33, please!" --get it? Custodians? As in janitors?? OK, nevermind....rough room! :unsure: ). And TOS' Starbuck seemed to also have a 'special relationship' with the angels, and negotiated for Apollo's return to life by offering his own (as he was not ready to accept Apollo's death, so Lee was not ready to accept Kara's death; TOS/NS comparisons work easier when you use the new character's names and not their callsigns :P ).

OK, I'm off to get a life! See ya! :cylon-pancarte03:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   Ravenshayde Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Buffy, Angel, Charmed, Lost, Heroes Battlestar Galactica, Deep Space Nine (courtesy of my boyfriend making me watching it :p), Sci-Fi Conventions, Wrestling, Music (mainly rocky stuff), Tattoos, Piercings, Drinking Beer hehehe!

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:48 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 07 August 2009 - 08:36 AM, said:

I say an angel. Whether one believes or not (I err on the side of agnosticism, personally), it fits everything. Her special destiny, the prophecy, Leoben's whackjob visions, everything. My friend and I were watching "Daybreak" recently and said something very interesting; that Kara came back not only to lead them to earth, but to ease her loved ones into accepting her death (which the Adama boys clearly struggled with). When they reached Earth, with the conflict behind them, they were much more ready to move on (which is why the Kara-angel asked Lee what he was going to do; to make sure he was approaching his days ahead with renewed purpose, and not brooding over the losses of the past).

Not to mention the fact that it provides a (perhaps unintentional) symmetry with TOS. In TOS, they had the 'Angels' in the Ship of Lights, who were the 'custodians of the universe' as Adama put it ("Clean up in Galaxy M33, please!" --get it? Custodians? As in janitors?? OK, nevermind....rough room! :unsure: ). And TOS' Starbuck seemed to also have a 'special relationship' with the angels, and negotiated for Apollo's return to life by offering his own (as he was not ready to accept Apollo's death, so Lee was not ready to accept Kara's death; TOS/NS comparisons work easier when you use the new character's names and not their callsigns :P ).

OK, I'm off to get a life! See ya! :cylon-pancarte03:

Awesome! Personally that is thee best explanation I've heard so far on the matter :cylonclap: I was really disappointed with the angle they gave Starbuck (one of my fave characters) I always thought she was going to end up being a Cylon when she came back. I'd have kind of preferred that to be honest. But yeah I agree, I think her being an angel is most likely the best explanation.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 07 August 2009 - 04:33 PM

Spectre or a zombie.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#5 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 07 August 2009 - 08:44 PM

I think the entire Starbuck “what am I” it is a nod to another show called ... Battlestar Galactica! Can anyone say ship of lights?

The ship of lights didn't show up and have white angelic like people that talked or anything, but the concept of another level of existence is the same. The Gandolf Grey/White issue is a great parallel. Starbuck moved to a new level.

And really if there was an exacting "X answer” - and that's that - well... that would be a boring series, not critically acclaimed series! :adama-pancarte001:
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."ť
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 07 August 2009 - 11:14 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 07 August 2009 - 08:44 PM, said:

I think the entire Starbuck “what am I” it is a nod to another show called ... Battlestar Galactica! Can anyone say ship of lights?

The ship of lights didn't show up and have white angelic like people that talked or anything, but the concept of another level of existence is the same. The Gandolf Grey/White issue is a great parallel. Starbuck moved to a new level.

And really if there was an exacting "X answer” - and that's that - well... that would be a boring series, not critically acclaimed series! :adama-pancarte001:

Good toasters think alike, mon ami. I mentioned the "Ships of Lights" (SOL-also means S**t Out of Luck!)as well! :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   Zoe Icon

• Callsign: Eos
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Writing, Science, Science Fiction, Paranormal, Arts (Graphic, Poetic, Literary, Dance) Martial Arts & Philosophy

Posted 10 August 2009 - 02:31 AM

OK, since the *poof* ending of my character Starbuck made me loathe the ending so much ... when you put in that way, in perspective of TOS, you not only have me feeling better about everything but have given me the only convincing argument I've ever heard to watch TOS, which I shall do, now!
Posted Image

Never Give Up Your Dreams...

LOVE, Lynn

#8 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:space.and the conquest of this world.

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:09 AM

angel.....

#9 User is offline   Ravenshayde Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2009 - 08:19 AM

Better if she'd been a cylon!
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:space.and the conquest of this world.

Posted 18 September 2009 - 10:06 AM

why?

#11 User is offline   Ravenshayde Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 18 September 2009 - 02:30 PM

I just think it would have made a more intrsting story arc than her just going *poof* at ther end.
Posted Image

#12 User is offline   cmlawson Icon

• Recruit

Posted 15 February 2010 - 01:28 PM

Sorry I'm late to the conversation but I just finished the episode and also feel a lot unresolved about Kara.

I like what your post said above but what I concluded was that she was more like a 'Wesley Crusher' type anomaly from Star Trek: Next Generation. I mean, I think when she was standing in that field at the end talking to Lee, she had resolve. She didn't, to my eye, project all the un-resolve and uncertainty that she's known for in the show. I mean, the last episodes she was different than the first 3 seasons but in those last moments with Lee, she seemed to really 'get it'. To me, it wasn't unlike when the other 4 got "switched on" when on the Galactica.

I think she was Daniel (in one form or another). There we so many strong overtones and references to that in the final episodes. Daniel was supposedly so strongly gifted, artistic and whatnot. I think he kinda just jumped ahead of everything, cylon and man, and evolved into a greater spiritual being that wasn't subject to the whole big cycle that everyone was subject to. It seemed like she finally just "got it".

just my 2 cents....

PS Maybe what I'm saying is that she is an Angel like some of the people above but I was saying it differently....

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.