• 2 Pages +

Galactica 1980 Comic

#21 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 29 August 2009 - 08:58 AM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 28 August 2009 - 09:18 PM, said:

I looked for the comics tonight at Vintage Stock, but they didn't have them. I DID buy me MASTERS OF THE UNIVERSE on DVD (I am sooo cool). AND, I looked and looked and looked for Star Trek V on DVD, but alas... they didn't have them! *rats* I'm sure there was probably a bloody brawl over who got to buy the last one they tried to sell, so they don't carry it anymore.

I will look for them at a book store next time I go - or i may have to order them online.

Fret not, my toaster friend. :cylonnono:
The DVD of Star Trek V is being reissued on Sept 22nd; as are all of the Trek movies (inc the NG ones). Just FYI. :nBSGsalute:

PS: Of course, if you watch it too much we'll just have to take it away from you again! Hee hee...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 29 August 2009 - 01:48 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 26 August 2009 - 10:22 PM, said:

He was a tad "Cousin Oliver" wasn't he?!

Only in the pilot.
"President Willard Deacon" Defender Chiron

Posted Image

#23 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:03 PM

View PostDecepticonSpike, on 29 August 2009 - 01:48 PM, said:

Only in the pilot.

It's a sad, sad day in the rag-tag fleet when the once-noble, sagacious Commander Adama is reduced to doing Cousin Oliver's b***h-work! This is the image from the pilot of G1980 that just chaps my rusty, chrome buttocks:

http://www.galactica...ry_105_4189.jpg

LOOK how that little creep holds his hand out without even LOOKING at him! There's genius, and then there's arrogance. Reminds me of an abusive husband expecting his wife to hand him a beer! "Here's your beer, Archie!!"
How ANYONE thought this moment was a good idea is simply beyond me. :cylonnono:

Think I'll start a "Reasons Why Doctor Zee Sucks" thread! :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 29 August 2009 - 05:10 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 29 August 2009 - 05:03 PM, said:

It's a sad, sad day in the rag-tag fleet when the once-noble, sagacious Commander Adama is reduced to doing Cousin Oliver's b***h-work! This is the image from the pilot of G1980 that just chaps my rusty, chrome buttocks:

http://www.galactica...ry_105_4189.jpg

LOOK how that little creep holds his hand out without even LOOKING at him! There's genius, and then there's arrogance. Reminds me of an abusive husband expecting his wife to hand him a beer! "Here's your beer, Archie!!"
How ANYONE thought this moment was a good idea is simply beyond me. :cylonnono:

Think I'll start a "Reasons Why Doctor Zee Sucks" thread! :P

I dare you
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#25 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 29 August 2009 - 07:00 PM

View PostAphrodite, on 29 August 2009 - 05:10 PM, said:

I dare you

You asked for it! :cylonweapons:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 30 August 2009 - 09:52 AM

BEHOLD! It came to pass and the thread was created. Verily, Dr. Zee does suck!
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."
Posted Image

#27 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 17 October 2010 - 12:32 PM

View PostElectricbolt, on 26 July 2009 - 08:37 PM, said:

I am not sure who here would be interested in this, but Dynamite Entertainment will be releasing a comic series (I'm gonna assume miniseries like the other titles) for Galactica 1980. Writer Marc Guggenheim is doing a "re-imagining" of the tv series according to the description. The cover for issue 1 is pretty much a direct copy of the DVD set.

Posted Image
DynamiteEntertainment.com

I finally (after what, a year or so after they came out?) bought issues one and two of this series.
I just got tired of waiting to see it on the shelves. No one carries them; none of my local bookstores even heard of G1980 comics.
Thank the Lords of Kobol for Amazon.com! :cylonclap:

I'll offer my "OT-POV" of both of them when I get them (should be a week or so).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 17 October 2010 - 11:35 PM

w00t
Posted Image

#29 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 18 October 2010 - 12:08 AM

In a way, I look forward to getting these; in the safe pages of a comic book, all kinds of special G1980 kookiness can occur... :unsure: :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 20 October 2010 - 10:17 PM

I got issue one of the G1980 comic book; and I have mixed emotions.
************* MAJOR SPOILAGE!!! READ AT YOUR OWN PERIL!! ****************

The good:
Good action, and I liked how they've worked in the NASA Voyager One probe (Dillon and Troy take it aboard the fleet). I liked the ambiguous nature of Zee in the comic book; he is seemingly heartless (he intends for the fleet to take over earth... for OUR benefit), refers to himself as an old man (as though his child's body is somehow not his first); I always felt Zee would only work as a quasi-evil character. And the end of book one has the Galactica being taken out over the US White House by a Jimmy Carter authorized nuke!! Holy crap... I'm glad issue two is arriving any day now.
:w00t:

The bad:
The failed attempt to inject Ronald Moore-isms into classic BSG characters; it simply doesn't work. Adama in the opening narrative is holding a laser pistol at his head (the late Lorne Greene's Adama would NOT do that; not no way, not no how). Troy being a hardened alcoholic (and drinking while flying on PATROL!!). Again, the 'goody two-shoes' crew of TOS would NOT act this way. The pairing of these characters with these traits is like seeing Kermit the Frog shooting up with heroin. It would NOT happen... EVER.
:cylonnono:

I'll reserve final judgment until book two arrives....
Posted ImagePosted Image

#31 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 21 October 2010 - 04:54 PM

Got issue 2 today; more mixed emotions...

******** SPOILERS!!!! *********

Adama lingers on the edge of death after the Galactica is shot down over the White House. Dr Mortensen (still sporting Robert Reed's '70s afro) realizes that the intercepted radio messages from the Galacticans is something akin to ancient Aramaic, and he rushes to the scene of the crash. As Troy and Dillon attempt to rescue Adama from the wreckage of the ol' G, Dillon is shot by US troops (who are falling ill to radiation from the nuclear missile used to shoot down G). Meanwhile, aboard the Rising Star, Dr Zee declares "cerebral law" (like martial law, only for brainiacs I presume...) and wrestles control from Col Boomer and the council of the 12. The end of issue two has Baltar and Lucifer (aboard a basestar; complete with piano and reading room) realizing that Adama has found Earth and they are preparing to join the party...

Like: Like last time, love the action, and the sinister spin on Dr Zee; loved the return of Baltar (now sporting a metal plate on one side of his face) as well as Lucifer; that was a welcome twist (even if Baltar's youthful visage doesn't really convey the passage of time; Adama still has his G1980 goatee and Troy is still 30-something, so why hasn't Baltar aged??). The Galacticans speaking a variation of Aramaic was also a nice twist; very much in keeping with Galactica ideology. Nice renderings of TOS vipers, sets (the bridge), and Cylon baseships, too.

Dislike: Col Boomer and the council can't wrestle control of the fleet from a bratty kid (unarmed, at that)??? Too many Ronald Moore-isms as well. The characters look like classic TOS BSG characters but have potty mouths right out of NuBSG (again; it doesn't fit this universe or TOS mythology... I don't mind explorations, but stay true to your source characters). And did Dr Zee REALLY need to have Gaius as his first name as well???? Show just a hint of imagination on that one, OK??? That just tells me that the writers of this series just want to rub RDM's BSG scent all over TOS BSG; and again, it doesn't work. Two very different mindsets, here.
Perhaps the thing to do for these writers would've been to actually watch TOS and get a feel for how the characters speak and the rhythms of their dialogue.
As it is? It's basically a TOS rendering of NuBSG, with elements from G1980. Kind of a hot mess; but an intriguing hot mess at times...
:cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 21 October 2010 - 08:19 PM

Ick... sounds like a total mess. I think the art HAS to be better than the plot. See, Caprica isn't that bad next to this train wreck!
Posted Image

#33 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 21 October 2010 - 10:55 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 21 October 2010 - 08:19 PM, said:

Ick... sounds like a total mess. I think the art HAS to be better than the plot. See, Caprica isn't that bad next to this train wreck!

At least Caprica is true to ONE universe of BSG (in this case, NuBSG), and isn't trying so desperately to straddle two. :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#34 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:38 PM

Yes, it is always a messy affair to straddle two universes... oh my! Might wind up in a paradox :blink:
Posted Image

#35 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:11 AM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 22 October 2010 - 11:38 PM, said:

Yes, it is always a messy affair to straddle two universes... oh my! Might wind up in a paradox :blink:

"Great Scott!"
Posted Image :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.