#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 25 April 2008 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE (DecepticonSpike @ Apr 25 2008, 12:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=otHGcb6boSs

Video about my thoughts on G80.

DS; very in-depth analysis of the circumstances surrounding G:1980 (which explains a lot to a novice). I agree with you totally. I recall it being one of my first, big brushes with entertainment disappointment (I was only 13 or so; didn't watch a lot of TV). I do have it on DVD myself (got it for Christmas) and get quite a kick out of it (much in the same way I watch "Spaceballs" as a parody of a Star Wars film). Capt. Taurus (wherever you are, ol' buddy) and I once had an entertaining thread about this very subject. My wife likened Troy and Dillon in their matching pants, jackets and motorcycles to a BSG version of SNL's "Ace and Gary!" But G:1980 is truly the epitome of mindless late '70s/early '80s TV and it was interesting hearing a detailed review of what I thought was a forgotten subject! And you're right...first appearance of humanoid Cylons, on Halloween....meeting Wolfman Jack and the guy who did the voice for KITT! What a hoot! cylon-pancarte02.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:26 AM

Thank you, OT. I did a little research before doing my review. Some of it I knew already, from writing the wiki article on the show, but other aspects of it, like the kid committing suicide over the cancellation of TOS, was new to me.
I'm very glad you enjoyed my review nBSGsalute.gif

BTW, my fiance' actually prefers G80 to TOS. Can you believe it?
"President Willard Deacon" Defender Chiron

Posted Image

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 April 2008 - 08:45 AM

I remember the kid committing suicide; at the time I was about that kid's age! 12 or 13. Scary. The media made a big stink about it, like ABC network killed the kid! He'd jumped from a rooftop. Obviously, the poor child had serious mental issues (I read later that he was bullied at school; the more likely cause of his suicide), but the media tasted fresh meat and ran with it. It was a sad chapter in the history of BSG. There was also the toy recall tregedy; a little boy choked on a toy missile ejected from a Galactica "Stellar Probe" toy. That started an avalanche of toy recalls of unsafe toys; so some good did come out of that. Also remember the pilot episode having a theatrical run (in "Sensurround", no less; they just hike up the volume at key points to make the seats rumble, like a caveman version of a subwoofer). Anyway, thanks again, DS. You helped dust off the analog tape spools of my brain once more! I once found an old, but interesting site full of classic BSG trivia, called "Sheba's Galaxy." It is chock full of stuff even I didn't know; here you go http://galactica1981.tripod.com/Sheba.htm#BG. It hasn't been updated in a long while, but it has plot synopses of unused scripts (even for G:1980), behind the scenes trivia, variations of the pilot episode, etc. ENJOY! cylonclap.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 April 2008 - 01:47 PM

QUOTE (DecepticonSpike @ Apr 26 2008, 01:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thank you, OT. I did a little research before doing my review. Some of it I knew already, from writing the wiki article on the show, but other aspects of it, like the kid committing suicide over the cancellation of TOS, was new to me.
I'm very glad you enjoyed my review nBSGsalute.gif

BTW, my fiance' actually prefers G80 to TOS. Can you believe it?

Your fiance prefers G:1980....and you're still marrying her?? Love works in mysterious ways. Oh well, my wife loves anime and I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to watch a lot of it (some is not half bad). cylonweapons.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:40 PM

QUOTE (obsolete toaster @ Apr 26 2008, 02:45 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I remember the kid committing suicide; at the time I was about that kid's age! 12 or 13. Scary. The media made a big stink about it, like ABC network killed the kid! He'd jumped from a rooftop. Obviously, the poor child had serious mental issues (I read later that he was bullied at school; the more likely cause of his suicide), but the media tasted fresh meat and ran with it. It was a sad chapter in the history of BSG. There was also the toy recall tregedy; a little boy choked on a toy missile ejected from a Galactica "Stellar Probe" toy. That started an avalanche of toy recalls of unsafe toys; so some good did come out of that. Also remember the pilot episode having a theatrical run (in "Sensurround", no less; they just hike up the volume at key points to make the seats rumble, like a caveman version of a subwoofer). Anyway, thanks again, DS. You helped dust off the analog tape spools of my brain once more! I once found an old, but interesting site full of classic BSG trivia, called "Sheba's Galaxy." It is chock full of stuff even I didn't know; here you go http://galactica1981.tripod.com/Sheba.htm#BG. It hasn't been updated in a long while, but it has plot synopses of unused scripts (even for G:1980), behind the scenes trivia, variations of the pilot episode, etc. ENJOY! cylonclap.gif

Thanks for the link, OT. I think the unfilmed scripts sounded just as "kiddy" as the show.

Posted Image

#7 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 27 April 2008 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (obsolete toaster @ Apr 27 2008, 07:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Your fiance prefers G:1980....and you're still marrying her?? Love works in mysterious ways. Oh well, my wife loves anime and I have to be dragged kicking and screaming to watch a lot of it (some is not half bad). cylonweapons.gif

LOL

She prefers TNS over the others, but she said she likes G80 over TOS because she thinks Troy and Dillon are more likable than Apollo and Starbuck, plus Muffit creeps her out.

I like a bit of anime from the 80's (Huge Macross/Robotech fan, and Lion Voltron fan). This new stuff is too odd for me.

Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:19 PM

A fantastic job on the review, DS.

The only two reasons I bought the DVD was to complete the Battlestar Galactica DVD collection I have, and that "The Return of Starbuck" was one of the best BG episodes ever. It's one of my fave episodes, but "The Living Legend" is my number one fave.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#9 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 27 April 2008 - 06:22 PM

Would you allow me to post the link to your review on another BG board? I know others that would like to hear and watch you review.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#10 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 April 2008 - 08:45 PM

QUOTE (Aphrodite @ Apr 27 2008, 11:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

The only two reasons I bought the DVD was to complete the Battlestar Galactica DVD collection I have, and that "The Return of Starbuck" was one of the best BG episodes ever. It's one of my fave episodes, but "The Living Legend" is my number one fave.

Good call, Aphrodite! I LOVE the Return of Starbuck (one of the reasons I don't use the G:1980 discs for coasters or skeet shooting; the other is that the show is so awful it's FUNNY). And TOS' "Living Legend" is excellent! I still think TOS' "War of the Gods" could be adapted into the new show (with MAJOR alterations, admittedly). The "angels" on the ship could be the REAL final five Cylons (from an earlier, more advanced cycle of time) and their copies, or 'emissaries' could be the flawed final five living among humanity. They could also be the ones responsible for Starbuck's amnesia and refurbished ship. No Count Iblis, though (unnecessary; as good and evil are too subjective for the new show). Or goofy white clothes, either! cylon-pancarte03.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:22 AM

QUOTE (Aphrodite @ Apr 28 2008, 12:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Thanks Aphrodite !

I bought the set for pretty much the same reasons. I wanted a complete set of BSG DVDs, and I had not seen them since they aired on sci fi in the early 1990's.

Posted Image

#12 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:23 AM

QUOTE (Aphrodite @ Apr 28 2008, 12:22 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Would you allow me to post the link to your review on another BG board? I know others that would like to hear and watch you review.

Feel free to post it where you like. Just make sure you credit "Spike The Cylon". Especially over at battlestargalacticaclub.com wink.gif

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:25 AM

QUOTE (obsolete toaster @ Apr 28 2008, 02:45 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Good call, Aphrodite! I LOVE the Return of Starbuck (one of the reasons I don't use the G:1980 discs for coasters or skeet shooting; the other is that the show is so awful it's FUNNY). And TOS' "Living Legend" is excellent! I still think TOS' "War of the Gods" could be adapted into the new show (with MAJOR alterations, admittedly). The "angels" on the ship could be the REAL final five Cylons (from an earlier, more advanced cycle of time) and their copies, or 'emissaries' could be the flawed final five living among humanity. They could also be the ones responsible for Starbuck's amnesia and refurbished ship. No Count Iblis, though (unnecessary; as good and evil are too subjective for the new show). Or goofy white clothes, either! cylon-pancarte03.gif

Good idea!
But, I think we need Iblis, if for no other reason than to explain "Head Six" and "Head Baltar".

Posted Image

#14 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:30 AM

QUOTE (DecepticonSpike @ Apr 28 2008, 02:23 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Feel free to post it where you like. Just make sure you credit "Spike The Cylon". Especially over at battlestargalacticaclub.com wink.gif

Actually, I was going to post it on battlestargalacticaforum.com
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#15 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 28 April 2008 - 11:35 AM

Yeah, I do think we would need Iblis. I can do without the angels, but I do like the idea of using the final five as the angels, so to speak. I can do without the Ship of Lights however. It really needs a new design for the new show for it to work.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#16 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 28 April 2008 - 09:50 PM

QUOTE (Aphrodite @ Apr 28 2008, 04:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I do think we would need Iblis. I can do without the angels, but I do like the idea of using the final five as the angels, so to speak. I can do without the Ship of Lights however. It really needs a new design for the new show for it to work.

My only concern about an Iblis, is that it would put too fine a point on evil in a very gray universe. He can't be "the Devil", as he was in the old show. Too literal! But if done right? Who knows. And yes, the Ship o' Lights would need a MAJOR overhaul! In fact; does it really have to be a literal ship? Or maybe just a gateway to another dimension? The portal being the energy swirl of Starbuck's; the one she fell into could be IT! "Look ma! No ship!" Some of these ideas batted around here are so neat, I wish we had a direct pipeline to Ron Moore! cylon-pancarte06.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:40 PM

QUOTE (Aphrodite @ Apr 28 2008, 05:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Actually, I was going to post it on battlestargalacticaforum.com

Never heard of that one, but, feel more than welcome to post it.

Posted Image

#18 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 28 April 2008 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Aphrodite @ Apr 28 2008, 05:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I think the ship should stay the same. That way, it could connect the 2 shows.

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.