GalacticaBBS: BSG: Sagittarius is Bleeding - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

BSG: Sagittarius is Bleeding Anyone else read it?

#1 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 28 March 2008 - 10:47 AM

I looked around and I don't think anyone has started a thread about this yet.

I recently picked up the BSG novel "Sagittarius is Bleeding" from the library. I want to start my review of it by saying that I enjoyed it. That being said, this is probably the worst book I have ever read.

The story (based on a teleplay by Glen A. Larson) is actually pretty good. It does have some odd parts, and there are elements I don't like, but overall it is a good plot with some nice BSG complexity.

It's the actual writing that stinks here. The author violates virtually every rule of good writing on nearly every page. He's not including the five senses, he's telling not showing (which is especially pointless when we're all familiar with the characters, having seen them on TV), the dialog is awful, I could go on.

Also, it has Boxey in it. *Shudders.*

If you're a really hardcore fan like me, I bet you'll like it, but I can't imagine anyone else sitting through descriptions of how Adama can "smell deception with one nostril tied behind his back."

So, has anyone else read it? If so, what did you think?

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 28 March 2008 - 07:27 PM

Yes, I read it. I agree 100%. Decent story. Horribly cliched writing. It's only slightly more polished than an average fanfic writing. The Cylon Secret was also a mess. Gave up on the BSG fiction novels after those wastes of time. If you want better (non-fiction) reading on the subject, try the seasons 1-3 Compendiums, by David Bassom. Also, try Cylons in America; some great comparative essays on the BSG 'verse and ours. Good stuff. cylonclap.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 31 March 2008 - 11:16 AM

Yeah, it did remind me of fan fic. In all honesty, I almost think BSP was better. tongue.gif

I've seen a book of BSG philosophy. I might want to get that.

#4 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 03 April 2008 - 09:42 AM

QUOTE (obsolete toaster @ Mar 29 2008, 01:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yes, I read it. I agree 100%. Decent story. Horribly cliched writing. It's only slightly more polished than an average fanfic writing. The Cylon Secret was also a mess. Gave up on the BSG fiction novels after those wastes of time. If you want better (non-fiction) reading on the subject, try the seasons 1-3 Compendiums, by David Bassom. Also, try Cylons in America; some great comparative essays on the BSG 'verse and ours. Good stuff. cylonclap.gif

I gave up reading “The Cylon’s Secret” It was a good story, but the writing was….eh.
"President Willard Deacon" Defender Chiron

Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.