Mary McDonnell - Laura Roslin Discussion Thread

#1 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• Co-Owner of Galatica.com/Galacticabbs.com - Callsign Tomcat
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Owners
  • Interests:Battlestar Galactica

Posted 29 September 2006 - 12:22 PM

The former Colonial Secretary of Education was 43rd in the line of succession when she assumed the presidency of the Twelve Colonies on the day of the Cylon attack. While rising to the challenge of leading the fleet, she also waged a private struggle with breast cancer before being cured by a stem-cell treatment from the human-Cylon infant. Projecting class and confidence, she possesses great innate intelligence and stoicism, and she believes that she is destined to lead humanity to a new home on the legendary "13th colony," Earth. For now, however, having lost the presidency to Gaius Baltar, she has become a teacher in the human settlement on New Caprica.

Two-time Oscar-nominated actress Mary McDonnell has transformed both period and present-day screen roles into dynamic character portrayals. As President Laura Roslin in Battlestar Galactica, she brings to the role a naturalistic depth, strength and compassion few other performers could reach.

Her body of work includes the acclaimed art-house hit Donnie Darko and the lighthearted Nola, a selection of the Tribeca Film Festival in May 2003. She also starred in the Fox drama series Ryan Caulfield: Year One.

In the fall of 1999, McDonnell reunited with filmmaker Lawrence Kasdan, with whom she'd worked on his acclaimed Grand Canyon, to star in Touchstone Pictures' Mumford, a film about a small Midwestern town whose citizens are shocked to learn that a beloved local psychologist and matchmaker is an impostor. Earlier that year, she appeared with Donald Sutherland and Matthew Fox in the critically acclaimed CBS-TV movie Behind The Mask, and starred in Replacing Dad, a made-for-TV movie for CBS, garnering rave reviews. Of the former, The New York Times said, "Ms. McDonnell is the attraction here. She is such a fine actress and is so beautifully directed by Joyce Chopra that her shock, pain and intelligence mingle to uncommonly powerful effect."

In 1997, she starred in Two Small Voices with Gail O'Grady for Lifetime Television, and completed production on the film You Can Thank Me Later, a comedy of morals and values shared by a Jewish family during a crisis.

In the summer of 1996, McDonnell starred with Jeff Goldblum, Bill Pullman and Will Smith in Independence Day, the sci-fi thriller directed and co-written by Roland Emmerich. Also, McDonnell returned to Broadway to star in Tennessee Williams' Summer and Smoke, with Harry Hamlin.

In 1995, McDonnell starred as flamboyant publisher Dott Emerson in the CBS series High Society. In 1994, McDonnell received glowing reviews in TNT's adaptation of Arthur Miller's The American Clock. She starred as Rosie Baumler, the matriarch of a prosperous Depression-era family suddenly hit with economic despair. Also in 1994, she starred opposite Nick Nolte in William Friedkin's Blue Chips.

McDonnell received a Best Actress Academy Award nomination as well as Golden Globe nomination in 1993 for her portrayal of a paraplegic soap-opera star in John Sayles' critically acclaimed Passion Fish, a story portraying the relationship between a woman and her taciturn caretaker.

That character was a reversal from McDonnell's role that year as the sole female lead in the popular high-tech caper Sneakers, which drew rave reviews. Starring with Robert Redford, Sidney Poitier, Ben Kingsley, James Earl Jones, Dan Aykroyd, River Phoneix and David Strathairn, McDonnell played the part of Liz, an intelligent and highly motivated teacher of gifted children who provides more than intellectual support for former boyfriend Martin Bishop, played by Redford. The actress won acclaim the previous year for her role as a Santa Monica mother facing the tumult of contemporary urban life in Kasdan's Grand Canyon, also starring Kevin Kline, Danny Glover, Steve Martin and Alfre Woodward.

In 1991, McDonnell received her first Oscar nomination, for Best Supporting Actress, for her portrayal of Stands With a Fist, a white woman raised by the Sioux, in Kevin Costner's Dances With Wolves. She also received her first of two Golden Globe nominations for her performance. Her other feature credits include Tiger Warsaw, opposite Patrick Swayze, and John Sayles' Matewan.

Equally at home in film and theater, McDonnell starred on Broadway in the title role of Wendy Wasserstein's Pulitzer Prize-winning play The Heidi Chronicles. Her stage performance as the lead in Darrah Cloud's adaptation of Willa Cather's O Pioneers! was filmed for PBS' American Playhouse and aired in 1991.

Over the years, McDonnell has played a wide variety of leading roles both Off-Broadway and in many of the country's most renowned regional theatres. Her New York debut was in Sam Shepard's Pulitzer Prize-winning Buried Child. She has worked steadily ever since, playing the classic heroines of Ibsen, Shakespeare and Chekov, while originating roles in the works of the most prestigious contemporary playwrights.

In 1981, McDonnell received an Obie award for her performance in Emily Mann's Still Life. Her other stage credits include the New York premieres of John Patrick Shanley's Savage in Limbo, John O'Keefe's All Night Long, Michael Cristofer's Black Angel, Kathleen Tolan's A Weekend Near Madison, Paula Cizmar's Death of a Miner and Dennis McIntyre's National Anthem, which premiered at the Long Wharf Theatre starring McDonnell and Tom Berenger.

source scifi.com

IMDB Mary McDonnell
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   ticktrek Icon

• Captain
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members

Posted 30 September 2006 - 12:21 PM

She is such a highly acclaimed actress that it was a real coup for the show to have her plus Olmos. These actors know a good script when they see one.

She was marvelous in Dances with Wolves. I had seen her in sitcoms and comedies before that movie and was blown away by her performance.

Official Aaron Douglas/Chief Tyrol Fanatic

#3 User is offline   teknobug5 Icon

• Callsign Foresight

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (ticktrek @ Sep 30 2006, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
She is such a highly acclaimed actress that it was a real coup for the show to have her plus Olmos. These actors know a good script when they see one.

She was marvelous in Dances with Wolves. I had seen her in sitcoms and comedies before that movie and was blown away by her performance.

I remember watching Independance Day and wanting to be like her. blush.gif I can't believe it's been ten years already!

Sometime this year, I watched Dances with wolves. Again, her portrayal of strong women is amazing!

sig by secretly_broken

#4 User is offline   Ziggy Icon

• Deckhand

Posted 17 April 2007 - 07:42 PM

Mary is in our current teddy bear auction for breast cancer research. Check it out!

http://auctions.yahoo.com/i:Mary%20McDonne...ar%21:239355574

#5 User is offline   cloudCAs Icon

• Callsign - Bucket
  • Interests:All thinks sfi, rugby union,military history,good films

Posted 05 December 2007 - 08:43 PM

I thought she was stunning in Dances with Wolves almost wish i was an indian

sig by p0is0n0us

#6 User is offline   airbornewarrior Icon

• Callsign - Spectre
  • Interests:U.S Football, Formula 1, sci fi, military history, good books. I jump out of planes for fun.

Posted 06 December 2007 - 03:08 PM

adama-pancarte001.gif

#7 User is offline   cloudCAs Icon

• Callsign - Bucket
  • Interests:All thinks sfi, rugby union,military history,good films

Posted 08 December 2007 - 09:16 PM

she was also good in independance day

sig by p0is0n0us

#8 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 21 December 2007 - 10:45 AM

My sister in law got me an autographed picture of her, but I'd love to be able to meet her in person!
She's talented, and very cute for an older woman.
"President Willard Deacon" Defender Chiron

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   AdamasTheDaddy Icon

• Deckhand
  • Interests:Reading, writing, and talking!<br />Music: Amy Winehouse, Jethro Tull, Vangelis, classical, folk, jazz, R&amp;B, in fact anything except Elvis &amp; country &amp; western<br /><br />NuBSG &amp; Star Trek<br /><br />The Arts in general.

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:15 AM

The show scores major brownie points as far as I'm concerned for having an older woman in the cast and giving her such a major authority role. I love the dynamic she has going with Adama. She's a tough bird.

#10 User is offline   airbornewarrior Icon

• Callsign - Spectre
  • Interests:U.S Football, Formula 1, sci fi, military history, good books. I jump out of planes for fun.

Posted 04 January 2008 - 10:58 PM

nBSGsalute.gif agreed adama-pancarte001.gif

#11 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Pick Your Own Title!
  • View blog

Posted 07 January 2008 - 11:24 AM

Mary is one awesome actress and I have always enjoyed watching her perform. I think the most awesome performance to date has been on Galactica. Especially in the episode when Cloud 9 is taken over by terrorists and Billy is killed. Her reaction to Billy's death was deeply profound. I really think she is a beautiful actress and a talented lady.

drool.gif

#12 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:12 AM

adama-pancarte001.gif
"President Willard Deacon" Defender Chiron

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Pick Your Own Title!
  • View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 06:49 PM

Happy Birthday, sweetie! happybday.gif Awesome death scene by the way. Wish you didn't die but at least you made it to Earth!

#14 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:03 PM

Birthday? PARTY!
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 23 April 2009 - 09:28 PM

Not that MMcD checks these boards (or maybe she does now, who knows) but I wish her a happybday.gif as well. Have seen her in person about 4 times now and she is so funny in person (a side of Laura Roslin we didn't get to see enough IMO). I've been a fan of hers ever since "Dances With Wolves" and "Grand Canyon."

She is an amazing talent. Hard to imagine BSG without her! cylonclap.gif

#16 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Pick Your Own Title!
  • View blog

Posted 24 April 2009 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (obsolete toaster @ Apr 24 2009, 03:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Not that MMcD checks these boards (or maybe she does now, who knows) but I wish her a happybday.gif as well. Have seen her in person about 4 times now and she is so funny in person (a side of Laura Roslin we didn't get to see enough IMO). I've been a fan of hers ever since "Dances With Wolves" and "Grand Canyon."

She is an amazing talent. Hard to imagine BSG without her! cylonclap.gif

I know for a fact that RDM checks this site out and several others. I am all too willing to bet that many of the others have at least once check this site out. Regardless if she checks it out or not, I just wanted to wish her a happy birthday directly. Just like I did with Katee... wub.gif

#17 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 24 April 2009 - 10:23 PM

QUOTE (Captain Taurus @ Apr 24 2009, 10:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know for a fact that RDM checks this site out and several others. I am all too willing to bet that many of the others have at least once check this site out. Regardless if she checks it out or not, I just wanted to wish her a happy birthday directly. Just like I did with Katee... wub.gif

I did NOT know RDM checks this site out. thumbsup.gif No wonder they released CAPRICA early. They heard all of my whining about it! tongue.gif

As for Katee's birthday, I kind of figured you wouldn't forget that day! cylonclap.gif

#18 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Pick Your Own Title!
  • View blog

Posted 25 April 2009 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE (obsolete toaster @ Apr 25 2009, 03:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did NOT know RDM checks this site out. thumbsup.gif No wonder they released CAPRICA early. They heard all of my whining about it! tongue.gif

As for Katee's birthday, I kind of figured you wouldn't forget that day! cylonclap.gif

Remember how you were joking about someone must have heard about your whining? I said, don't be surprised if RDM checked out the thread? I mean it. They are not as stupid as they look. Where do you think they get some of their ideas from?

As for Katee....I would give her all the ideas in the universe and make Universal rich beyond the dreams of avarice for one frakkin date! wub.gif

#19 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 25 April 2009 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (Captain Taurus @ Apr 24 2009, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I know for a fact that RDM checks this site out

AWESOME! "Hi Ron." Cylon-Knight loves you. cylonclap.gif
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 25 April 2009 - 08:06 PM

QUOTE (Captain Taurus @ Apr 24 2009, 02:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I'm guessing the sites he visits are this one, scifi.com forums, & battlestarforum.com (the one that is associated with Battlestar Wiki and the one in the Obama parody). I don't think he visits battlestargalacticaforum.com (the one that Richard Hatch owns, but forgets he owns it) because if he did, *deleted by Aphrodite*
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.