Season 1 - You Can't Go Home Again Discussion Thread

#1 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• Co-Owner of Galatica.com/Galacticabbs.com - Callsign Tomcat
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Owners
  • Interests:Battlestar Galactica

Posted 10 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

Discuss the Episode - You Can't Go Home Again here.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   jacki Icon

• Callsign - Joyride
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:BSG, Physics, Airplanes and Fanfic.

Posted 04 December 2007 - 07:56 AM

This is a very good episode, especially this dialouge:

Apollo: I want you to know, I think she's wrong. I think we have come to terms with what happened to Zak.

William Adama: I haven't.

Apollo: I need to know something: Why did you do this? Why did we do this? Is it for Kara? For Zak? For what?

Adama: Kara was family. You do whatever you have to do. Sometimes you break the rules.

Apollo: And if it was me down there instead?

Adama: You don't have to ask that.

Apollo: Are you sure?

Adama: If it were you... we'd never leave.

blush.gif

-1974 to 2006

#3 User is offline   airbornewarrior Icon

• Callsign - Spectre
  • Interests:U.S Football, Formula 1, sci fi, military history, good books. I jump out of planes for fun.

Posted 04 December 2007 - 08:07 AM

yep, great scene from a great episode.

#4 User is offline   Boomer Icon

• Captain
  • Interests:BSG, Star trek, Star wars, X-files, Babylon-5...

Posted 26 September 2011 - 06:34 AM

I like this episode... It's one of my season one favorites. I love how commander Adama put everything on the line for Starbuck.

#5 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 30 September 2011 - 06:40 PM

View PostBoomer, on 26 September 2011 - 06:34 AM, said:

I like this episode... It's one of my season one favorites. I love how commander Adama put everything on the line for Starbuck.

It's also one of the rare 'feel good' episodes of the show with a no-apologies 'mega-happy' ending (like "Hand of God", or season 2's "Flight of the Phoenix"). With BSG, the rare 'happy' endings always felt genuinely earned. :bowdown: :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   Boomer Icon

• Captain
  • Interests:BSG, Star trek, Star wars, X-files, Babylon-5...

Posted 01 October 2011 - 03:50 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 30 September 2011 - 06:40 PM, said:

It's also one of the rare 'feel good' episodes of the show with a no-apologies 'mega-happy' ending (like "Hand of God", or season 2's "Flight of the Phoenix"). With BSG, the rare 'happy' endings always felt genuinely earned. :bowdown: :cylonclap:

Yeah... Hand of God is also one of my favorites.

#7 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 09 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

View PostBoomer, on 01 October 2011 - 03:50 PM, said:

Yeah... Hand of God is also one of my favorites.

Sometimes when I suggest watching BSG to my wife, she'll say, "OK, but only one of the ones with a happy ending..." :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 User is offline   Nanouk Icon

• Callsign - Ocean
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Wants to get married to Michelle Forbes

Posted 10 October 2011 - 10:38 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 09 October 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

Sometimes when I suggest watching BSG to my wife, she'll say, "OK, but only one of the ones with a happy ending..." :lol:

You could perhaps sell it to her on basis of the OVERALL happy ending (unlike Xena ... *bangs head into wall even THINKING about 'A Friend in Need - part 2'*)

On Topic: I loved this ep, its I think one of my fave s1 eps :)
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2014 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:47 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 09 October 2011 - 10:26 AM, said:

I'm not sure this is that kind of series.
Posted Image

#10 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 10 October 2011 - 07:50 PM

View PostNanouk, on 10 October 2011 - 10:38 AM, said:

You could perhaps sell it to her on basis of the OVERALL happy ending (unlike Xena ... *bangs head into wall even THINKING about 'A Friend in Need - part 2'*)

On Topic: I loved this ep, its I think one of my fave s1 eps :)

No, don't get me (or rather my wife) wrong; she LOVES BSG. But sometimes after a long day with her students, she just wants 'happy, shiny' entertainment... :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 23 January 2012 - 12:37 AM

Just saw this one again yesterday. Didn't realize how much BSG uses the subwoofer in it's sound field. Sounds more like a movie than a TV show. And for some reason, for repeat viewings I still find myself drawn to the 'mega-happy' episodes, such as this one, "Home part 2" "Hand of God" and "Flight of the Phoenix."
I think because optimism in the BSG universe is in such short supply that when it happens it feels very much earned. :nBSGsalute:

I see this episode as kind of an unofficial remake of the G:1980 episode, "Return of Starbuck" where Starbuck had to rely on a Cylon for survival (intentionally or not, there are a few similarities). And he (when Starbuck was male) and the lone centurion used parts from their crashed ships to create an escape craft; an idea echoed with new Starbuck merging with the Cylon vessel in order to master it. Same general idea in this episode (Starbuck + Cylon = Salvation), except that the raider and centurion have merged into a single character. It's a de facto remake of the only really GOOD episode of G1980.

I have a friend of mine who hates this one because of the 'Super Starbuck'; her figuring out how to fly the raider was just too much for my friend to handle. It's a valid criticism, but then again she (new Starbuck) is supposed to be 'the best of the best' as far as pilots go, so for me it makes sense that her gifted piloting intuition would help her to handle the alien contraption. It's a stretch, but new Starbuck is much more intuitive than her male counterpart of the late '70s (can't beat women's intuition). So, on the basis of that hair-thin explanation of mine? I'll just buy it; as it's also in the service of an otherwise great episode. And I admit, when Apollo sees 'Starbuck' written in duct tape on the bottom of the craft and the music swells, and when Adama gives Starbuck his stogie?
Oh frak logic.... it just rocks! :buttrock: :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   viper73 Icon

• Master Chief Petty Officer
  • Interests:huge sci fi and history geek!

Posted 26 February 2012 - 10:17 PM

I like d this Episode . Yeah its out there but its a sci fi show its supposed to be :nav:

#13 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 01 April 2012 - 11:34 PM

I just finished watching this episode and it is amazing. Raises an important question: What is a HUMAN life worth? At this stage of the show, a human life is important. So important that Adama will not leave anyone behind. She is not just a human life but she represents the struggle for survival. She survives because she is smart, stubborn, determined and innovative. Much like the fleet must become in order to survive. Adapt and overcome. She learns how to become part of the Cylon fighter and merges her flight knowledge with its systems and controls it.

Perhaps the title is appropriate. "You can't go home." They can't go back to the 12 colonies, they can't retreat back to familiar space but they can move forward. They can do so when Starbuck returns to the fleet. The fleet is now home. Starbuck's return to the fleet is one of mankinds first victories over the Cylons. That we can fight and win and survive. Capturing that Cylon fighter is a huge victory over the Cylons. Now they can analyze the technology and study it and figure out how to defeat the Cylons.

Capt. T.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#14 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 03 April 2012 - 04:55 PM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 01 April 2012 - 11:34 PM, said:

Perhaps the title is appropriate. "You can't go home." They can't go back to Earth.

They're not from Earth; they're from the 12 colonies of Kobol.... hee, hee. :P :lol:

(OT; always ready with a nit to pick.... :D ).

Actually, it IS a great episode. Despite the (IMO silly) fanboy flap over Starbuck learning to fly a Cylon raider so quickly (hey; it's the same logic that allowed a New York flatfoot to become a counter terrorism expert in the "Die Hard" movies; desperation can make resourceful people do all kinds of stuff). And that ending (with Starbuck and Adama in sickbay finally at peace over Zac) was beautiful! "You did good, Starbuck..."
:cylonclap:

And it's also a great remake of G1980's "Return of Starbuck" (see my G1980/NuBSG thread in the hangar deck museum). :thumbsup:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#15 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 04 April 2012 - 12:48 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 03 April 2012 - 04:55 PM, said:

They're not from Earth; they're from the 12 colonies of Kobol.... hee, hee. :P :lol:

(OT; always ready with a nit to pick.... :D ).

Actually, it IS a great episode. Despite the (IMO silly) fanboy flap over Starbuck learning to fly a Cylon raider so quickly (hey; it's the same logic that allowed a New York flatfoot to become a counter terrorism expert in the "Die Hard" movies; desperation can make resourceful people do all kinds of stuff). And that ending (with Starbuck and Adama in sickbay finally at peace over Zac) was beautiful! "You did good, Starbuck..."
:cylonclap:

And it's also a great remake of G1980's "Return of Starbuck" (see my G1980/NuBSG thread in the hangar deck museum). :thumbsup:

God, I know you love to pounce on my mistakes! LOL...Doh! I meant the 12 colonies. Please refer back to the post, you will see the correction.
It is an amazing episode and Starbuck is highly creative as the show keeps mentioning she is great thinking outside of the box. So, with that in mind and desperation taking place, she applies her skilled expertise to that of Cylon Technology and flies the bird home. To me it is no different than Clint Eastwood stealing Firefox. He is an instant expert on the craft. So for me, it was not that big of a deal plus she had a full day to familiarize herself with it doing trial and error, which ultimately makes sense because she is able to figure what everything does and pilots her way home. Same way when the crew of the Enterprise figure out how to fly a Klingon Bird of Prey. Trial and error and voila.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#16 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 04 April 2012 - 06:53 PM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 04 April 2012 - 12:48 AM, said:

It is an amazing episode and Starbuck is highly creative as the show keeps mentioning she is great thinking outside of the box. So, with that in mind and desperation taking place, she applies her skilled expertise to that of Cylon Technology and flies the bird home. To me it is no different than Clint Eastwood stealing Firefox. He is an instant expert on the craft. So for me, it was not that big of a deal plus she had a full day to familiarize herself with it doing trial and error, which ultimately makes sense because she is able to figure what everything does and pilots her way home. Same way when the crew of the Enterprise figure out how to fly a Klingon Bird of Prey. Trial and error and voila.

I agree.

I'm one of the few in my BSG circle who DIDN'T think that part of the story was total bulls**t. Believe me, if someone says learn to drive a car or you'll die? You'll be driving like an Indy 500 racer before sundown...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#17 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 04 April 2012 - 11:19 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 04 April 2012 - 06:53 PM, said:

I agree.

I'm one of the few in my BSG circle who DIDN'T think that part of the story was total bulls**t. Believe me, if someone says learn to drive a car or you'll die? You'll be driving like an Indy 500 racer before sundown...

How true! It is amazing how innovative we can be under the gun, but more simply, it wasn't that much of a stretch of the imagination. She was applying what she new of aviation to the Cylon craft and figured it out. Ta da! So, for me, it was perfectly within the realms of reality. There was no suspense of disbelief on my part. I think the first time I had to do that was with the attack on the Colonies. It was too lopsided and too perfectly executed. There were no cliches in the attack. I think it would have made for a much more interesting story if they had shown a major conflict that would force the Cylons to pursue the last remnants of humanity rather than them occupying all 12 colonies and oh, by the way, there is one battlestar left, better destroy that too. Just couldn't quite get my head around the reason why? For me it was a slam dunk, in-your-face attack by the Cylons and left little for them to do after the attack. Seems to me there is a flaw in logic in the story writing in the beginning. As far as the rest is concerned, it makes a lot of sense.
Posted Image

Second to None!

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.