The Return of Starbuck Discussion Thread

#1 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• Co-Owner of Galatica.com/Galacticabbs.com - Callsign Tomcat
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Owners
  • Interests:Battlestar Galactica

Posted 09 April 2007 - 01:02 PM

Discussion of The Return of Starbuck here.
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Aussie Trekkie Icon

• Callsign Buckshot
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 April 2007 - 03:12 AM

The best episode in a disapointing 10 episodes of Galactica 1980, would of been interesting what the follow up episodes were going to be like had they been produced

#3 User is online   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 08 September 2007 - 04:24 PM

One of my favourite episodes from Battlestar Galactica. The episode was filled with irony. Starbuck a decorated warrior who hated the cylons more than anyone decides to fix one to keep him company. Just goes to show you that everyone is human and needs a little companionship. Equally ironic was the twist that Cy ends up protecting him from a Cylon rescue party in search of Cy and his fallen centurians. In the end, the Cylons are dead, Starbuck is alone, and the fleet has recieved the escape capsule with a new born baby (Dr. Z).
Posted Image

Second to None!

#4 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• Co-Owner of Galatica.com/Galacticabbs.com - Callsign Tomcat
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Owners
  • Interests:Battlestar Galactica

Posted 08 September 2007 - 05:14 PM

It was by far the best Galactica 1980 episode ever.
Posted Image

#5 User is online   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:00 PM

QUOTE (Zipper @ Sep 8 2007, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Totally agree!

nBSGsalute.gif
Posted Image

Second to None!

#6 User is offline   warstarcerberus Icon

• Petty Officer 2nd Class

Posted 22 February 2008 - 06:07 PM

QUOTE (Zipper @ Sep 8 2007, 10:14 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
i like the night the cylons landed, but this one is one of the two best one episode show in whole seires.

best line [cy] not human not cylon but freind!!.

always think of frankinstien saying freind. to the old hermit.

#7 User is offline   fox Icon

• Callsign - Shepheard

Posted 29 October 2008 - 05:19 PM

I just like the way sigh goes out into the middle of nowhere and finds starbuck a female.

#8 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 29 October 2008 - 07:51 PM

That is pretty funny to see Cy the Cylon frustrated, goes off and finds a female.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#9 User is offline   fox Icon

• Callsign - Shepheard

Posted 30 October 2008 - 02:10 PM

I just think its cool, but as a whole this episode was the best in the 1980 series.

#10 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 02 November 2008 - 02:42 AM

QUOTE (fox @ Oct 30 2008, 07:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just think its cool, but as a whole this episode was the best in the 1980 series.

Agreed. I officially consider "Return of Starbuck" the true coda of the classic series. Love the full circle idea of a lone Cylon and a lone human, depending on each other, and ultimately becoming friends (the real end to TOS; mortal enemies finding common ground). Has a "Robinson Crusoe on Mars" or "Enemy Mine" vibe to it (both of those films I love, by the way). "Return of Starbuck" 'feels' like TOS, and not that comic abomination that was the rest of G:1980. Which I DO own and DO watch every now and then for comic relief; it IS dreadfully funny, in a "Santa Claus Conquers the Martians" kind of way. Worthy of an MST3K-style razzing (my friends and I did that one night with the 3 part opening episode; we had a blast and laughed ourselves exhausted). But "Return of Starbuck" is so good it is worth buying the G1980 set for that episode alone. Or to host your own MST3K night with any of the other episodes! cylonclap.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is online   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 25 December 2008 - 10:21 PM

Wow...I am gone for a little while and all of sudden everyone rises in rank and get delusions of grandure. Well Captain, I guess if anyone could appreciate the final episode of TOS - it is you. And my comment has not changed. It is a great episode. They brought Dirk back a little too late to save the show. Better luck next time.

Posted Image

Second to None!

#12 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2008 - 10:29 AM

QUOTE (Captain Taurus @ Dec 26 2008, 04:21 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Wow...I am gone for a little while and all of sudden everyone rises in rank and get delusions of grandure. Well Captain, I guess if anyone could appreciate the final episode of TOS - it is you. And my comment has not changed. It is a great episode. They brought Dirk back a little too late to save the show. Better luck next time.

"THE KID IS BACK IN THE FLEET!" --Tigh. Welcome back, Captain T! So nice to have you back. cylonclap.gif And as for your comment? Agreed. Would've been better if the whole series Galactica 1980 had been Starbuck's nightmare when he was unconscious following his crash on the planet! Welcome Back, T!! cylonclap.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#13 User is online   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 28 December 2008 - 11:13 PM

QUOTE (obsolete toaster @ Dec 26 2008, 03:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
"THE KID IS BACK IN THE FLEET!" --Tigh. Welcome back, Captain T! So nice to have you back. cylonclap.gif And as for your comment? Agreed. Would've been better if the whole series Galactica 1980 had been Starbuck's nightmare when he was unconscious following his crash on the planet! Welcome Back, T!! cylonclap.gif

Thank you... As Adama once said, " I am a soft touch."

nBSGsalute.gif
Posted Image

Second to None!

#14 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:06 AM

Too late is right!

And it was THE ONLY GOOD EPISODE of G80!

The only one worth seeing.

The only reason to buy the DVD box set.

Well, it was even one of the best episodes of both BG and G80.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#15 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 14 January 2009 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (Aphrodite @ Jan 14 2009, 06:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Too late is right!

And it was THE ONLY GOOD EPISODE of G80!

The only one worth seeing.

The only reason to buy the DVD box set.

Well, it was even one of the best episodes of both BG and G80.

Totally agree; one of the best of both TOS BSG and G80 (well, the ONLY really good episode of the latter). Dirk's best outing as Starbuck (his goodbye scene to Boomer still brings a tear to my visor slit). Not to mention Lorne Greene's breaking voice as he says to himself, "Goodbye, Starbuck. I love you...we all love you!" Wwwaaaahhh!!! cylonclap.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 User is online   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 17 January 2009 - 08:52 PM

QUOTE (obsolete toaster @ Jan 14 2009, 05:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Totally agree; one of the best of both TOS BSG and G80 (well, the ONLY really good episode of the latter). Dirk's best outing as Starbuck (his goodbye scene to Boomer still brings a tear to my visor slit). Not to mention Lorne Greene's breaking voice as he says to himself, "Goodbye, Starbuck. I love you...we all love you!" Wwwaaaahhh!!! cylonclap.gif

Reading you write things like wwwwaaaaahhh!! and knowing how deep your voice is...makes me want to double over in laughter! The white version of Barry White. Right on!

But I know what you mean! At least we have a new version of BSG to keep us happy. Can you imagine this world and the last episode we have to draw on is this one????????? WWWWwwwwaaaahhh!!!

Posted Image

Second to None!

#17 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 18 January 2009 - 07:45 PM

QUOTE (Captain Taurus @ Jan 18 2009, 01:52 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Reading you write things like wwwwaaaaahhh!! and knowing how deep your voice is...makes me want to double over in laughter! The white version of Barry White. Right on!

But I know what you mean! At least we have a new version of BSG to keep us happy. Can you imagine this world and the last episode we have to draw on is this one????????? WWWWwwwwaaaahhh!!!

You kill me with the white Barry White thing! laugh.gif I adjust my onboard vocoder for the podcasts. tongue.gif Anyway, that episode ("Return of Starbuck") is so good that in my mind I pluck it out of the G80 episode guide and put it as the last episode of TOS (after Apollo and Starbuck receive that cryptic Apollo 11 transmission; man, that was freaky when I was a kid). It's really a capper to TOS, and has NOTHING to do with G80; except for Doctor Zee's narration. It reminds me much of another old sci-fi favorite (and I do NOT mean this sarcastically) "Robinson Crusoe on Mars." Plot wise they are nearly identical; and they are both carried by strong solo performances (Paul Mantee and Dirk Benedict). Check it out when you can; it's on Criterion Region 1 DVD. Well worth it. cylonclap.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#18 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2009 - 09:49 PM

Dr. Zee in The Return of Starbuck is the only part of this episode that can go bye-bye. What a crappy character he is.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#19 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:51 PM

QUOTE (Aphrodite @ Jan 19 2009, 02:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dr. Zee in The Return of Starbuck is the only part of this episode that can go bye-bye. What a crappy character he is.

Too bad Doctor Zee never got to really set foot on earth. Adama could've told him to go play on the freeway! cylon-pancarte01.gif I hated that character, too; in both his Robbie Rist (w. 'The Keeper'-from-Star-Trek voice) and Patrick Stuart versions. Nothing kills sci-fi faster than a smart-arse, know-it-all brat (at least TOS' Boxey was a fairly normal kid; not some super-creepy, Omen-wannabe). And they (the writers) did their best to make the goat-teed Adama a feeble, helpless idiot; always turning to a little kid for advice! Pathetic. Adama was the man with the vision and fortitude to lead the survivors from the holocaust, and G80 made him little more than Doctor Zee's lapdog. "Fetch my slippers, Commander. Good boy!" Seemed like Adama couldn't find his socks without Zee's help (a radical departure from the visionary, fatherly, decisive leader of BSG: TOS). Sad. cylonnono.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#20 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 18 January 2009 - 10:55 PM

I would've loved to have seen Dr. Zee get on the 405 and get spatted by a big-rig!!

BTW: The actor Patrick Stuart now goes by the name James Patrick Stuart and has a semi-reg role on CSI as a lawyer.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.