GalacticaBBS: Experiment in Terra - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Experiment in Terra Rate and Discussion Thread

Poll: Rate - Experiment in Terra (0 member(s) have cast votes)

Rate - Experiment in Terra

1. 5 Cubits (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. 4 Cubits (0 votes [0.00%])

3. 3 Cubits (0 votes [0.00%])

4. 2 Cubits (0 votes [0.00%])

5. 1 Cubits (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• Co-Owner of Galatica.com/Galacticabbs.com - Callsign Tomcat
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Owners
  • Interests:Battlestar Galactica

Posted 09 April 2007 - 12:17 PM

Discuss Experiment in Terra here.

Posted Image

Posted Image

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 05 March 2009 - 10:03 AM

(wiping the dust off of this topic....coughs) It's funny, I never liked this episode all that much in its original run (when I was 12, all I wondered was, "When are the Cylons coming back!??" I missed my 'homies' cylonanime01.gif ). But upon rewatching it (as I did a few days ago, while I was multi-tasking with other stuff), it kind of grew on me. It is almost a backdoor pilot for "Quantum Leap" (Apollo as Sam, "John" the Angel as Al). Apollo is seen outwardly by everyone on Terra as Col. "Charlie Watts" (no, not the Stones' drummer...hee hee), and he had a specific task to do before his real visage is seen by everyone (like "leaping out"). No surprise that Donald Bellisario is a producer on both shows. And the Terra/parallel worlds thing was an opportunity for the Galactica and crew to help others for a change, instead of just running and avoiding detection (thus proving their worthiness of a new home to the "Angels"). The idea of the ol' 'G' using her big, damn forcefield to save Terra from its own arcing nukes makes you a little sad, though (too bad the battlestar fleet wasn't able to do that for their own colonies, since the Cylons lured them out of range for the 'armistice'. cylonnono.gif). And I remember on the bonus features of the TOS dvd set that Richard Hatch said he and Dirk Benedict swapped dialogue on that episode. You can see that, as it made Apollo the 'funny guy' for a change, and RH clearly loved it (not to mention he got Melody Anderson! sixanime004.gif ). cylonclap.gif All in all, it was an interesting episode with an anti-nuclear war message as well (not like there are many pro-nuclear war people out there!). My biggest gripes, though? THE PRESIDENT'S WARDROBE! Shame on the otherwise talented Jean-Pierre Dorleac! cylonnono.gif The guy looked soooo far beyond ridiculous. Like he rummaged through the Mad Hatter's closet. Awful. The Eastern Alliance also suffered an acute case of "TOS-era Baltar" disease (lack of solid motivation). But that was kind of common in those days, with the seemingly irrational Cold War in full swing. Anyway, only a couple years late, but those are my two bits on "Experiment in Terra". cylonanime01.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:19 PM

The reason why the dialogue is switched is because Starbuck was going to be the main one in this episode, not Apollo. That is what Richard Hatch said in an interview I read.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#4 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 05 March 2009 - 05:56 PM

I always felt this episode was going to be key, later on, if they had not canceled it , and brought it back as G80. That somehow Terra was the key to finding Earth.
"President Willard Deacon" Defender Chiron

Posted Image

#5 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:20 AM

QUOTE (DecepticonSpike @ Mar 5 2009, 11:56 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I always felt this episode was going to be key, later on, if they had not canceled it , and brought it back as G80. That somehow Terra was the key to finding Earth.

Seemed to me Terra was an 'exercise' by the Angels/Ship-of-Lights folks to test humanity and their worthiness for a new home. And the crew of Galactica, despite their own hunted refugee status, proved their worth by helping another civilization avoid their fate (with their handy-dandy, big, damn force-field). Echoes of this are in the new show as well, like when the Final Five race from Earth to the 12 colonies to try to warn them to avoid the cycle of destruction by not enslaving their own Cylon race.. And yes, Terra could've been significant later on had the show not been canceled. Again, I didn't like the episode when I was a wee brat, but now it's OK. cylonclap.gif Best line: The guy examining Apollo's comlink overhears Starbuck's voice on the device saying, "Drop it or I'll incinerate ya!" So, he drops it. Cute! tongue.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#6 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2009 - 12:38 AM

This is also the only episode that Apollo says 'felgercarb' too!

Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#7 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:12 AM

QUOTE (Aphrodite @ Mar 6 2009, 05:38 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This is also the only episode that Apollo says 'felgercarb' too!

Really? Did NOT know that. Probably because it was meant to be Starbuck's line. laugh.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:36 AM

This episode also has one of my all time favorite quotes "The opposite of war is not peace. Often, the opposite of war is extinction." or something like that.

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:47 AM

QUOTE (DecepticonSpike @ Mar 6 2009, 03:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
This episode also has one of my all time favorite quotes "The opposite of war is not peace. Often, the opposite of war is extinction." or something like that.

I also remember Apollo saying, "Freedom cannot be negotiated. It is rarely given; and once lost, the price of regaining it is high", or some such thing. Sounded better when RH said it! Ha ha. tongue.gif Beautiful speech, though. But if I were the Angel John? I'd tell him, "Uh, for credibility sake? You might want to omit that line about 'there was once, far across this universe, a system of twelve planets" part!" cylonnono.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#10 User is offline   DecepticonSpike Icon

• Callsign Vamp

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:03 PM

I don't know, the laine about 12 planets would get my attention faster than anything. I'd be like "Holy frak! he's an alien!....That's cool!" then go about my day.

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 06 March 2009 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (DecepticonSpike @ Mar 7 2009, 03:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I don't know, the laine about 12 planets would get my attention faster than anything. I'd be like "Holy frak! he's an alien!....That's cool!" then go about my day.

Too bad Apollo's honesty made Terran president "Mad Hatter" (that stupid outfit!!) question his credibility. President MH also get's the episodes' dumbest line (regarding the Eastern Alliance's treachery),"But...I have this treaty, they've signed it!" Derr! It's called deceit, moron! cylonnono.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• View blog

Posted 06 March 2009 - 10:05 PM

You can't tell very well, but in the scene where Starbuck lands his Viper and is confronted by John DeLancie (yes, you can hear his voice)...that scene was filmed at Vasquez Rocks in Agua Dulce, Calif. It should look familiar to a lot of sci-fi freaks out there. They've only used them for lots of shows. Most recently, it was used for an NCIS episode.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#13 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 06 March 2009 - 11:17 PM

QUOTE (Aphrodite @ Mar 7 2009, 04:05 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You can't tell very well, but in the scene where Starbuck lands his Viper and is confronted by John DeLancie (yes, you can hear his voice)...that scene was filmed at Vasquez Rocks in Agua Dulce, Calif. It should look familiar to a lot of sci-fi freaks out there. They've only used them for lots of shows. Most recently, it was used for an NCIS episode.

It's where Captain Kirk fought the Gorn! boxing.gif Yay. And when I heard deLancie's voice, I half-expected him to snap his fingers and he, the Terran troops and Starbuck would be on the Enterprise-D bridge! hee hee... Can you imagine Starbuck, "W-where the frak??" fear.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• Co-Owner of Galatica.com/Galacticabbs.com - Callsign Tomcat
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Owners
  • Interests:Battlestar Galactica

Posted 15 March 2012 - 03:06 AM

Rate and discuss...
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.