GalacticaBBS: Blade Runner 2049's failure could cost producers $80m - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Blade Runner 2049's failure could cost producers $80m

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 09 November 2017 - 03:06 PM

Despite all the anticipation, acclaim and A-list stars, it seems that Blade Runner 2049 couldn't quite cut it at the box office.

The film has earned $240.6m (£183m) at the worldwide box office Ė far below what producers were expecting, having cost $155m (£118m) to make before marketing.

It is now being reported that producers Alcon Entertainment and its investors could lose as much as $80m (£61m) on the movie, according to The Hollywood Reporter.

While it is a disappointing turn for such an acclaimed movie, it is not entirely surprising considering the cult status of the Blade Runner franchise.

It seems that the movie did not really appeal beyond its core fan base Ė after all, it's a slow-paced, near-three-hour film, and the original movie didn't exactly set the box office alight.

Director Denis Villeneuve recently addressed Blade Runner 2049's poor box office, explaining: "As a filmmaker, I'm not arrogant.

"People put a lot of money in the movie to allow me to make something like Blade Runner. They trusted me, and they gave me a lot of freedom, and they are friends.

"So of course I want the movie to be a success at the end of the day. It's a long journey, but I want them not to lose money."

While some critics suggested that his reluctance to reveal details about the movie beforehand could have scuppered its appeal beyond the core fan base, Villeneuve defended his secrecy.

"I liked the idea that you were supposed to learn it as the movie goes on," he insisted.

"As a cinephile, one of my best experiences was when I was on a film festival jury. I had to watch 20 movies without knowing anything about them. You don't know the genre, you don't know the country, you don't know the story."

Blade Runner 2049 is in cinemas now.

Source: MSN

#2 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 10 November 2017 - 06:44 AM

Yeah, it's just too bad. I just hope that the movie has as much staying power as the original and earns a cult following. I'm buying the blu-ray or 4K when it comes out...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 10 November 2017 - 08:30 AM

Iíll be getting it on release day as well. I havenít seen it yet but looks awesome.

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 November 2017 - 09:44 AM

View Postmaneth, on 10 November 2017 - 06:44 AM, said:

Yeah, it's just too bad. I just hope that the movie has as much staying power as the original and earns a cult following. I'm buying the blu-ray or 4K when it comes out...

I am as well.
This is a movie that begs to be seen on a big screen; itís the most purely cinematic movie Iíve seen since Alfonso Cuaronís ďGravity."

Itís so disappointing that this movie wasnít a monstrous hit at the box office. Itís easily my favorite movie of the year so far, and one of the best TRUE science fiction movies in a while (itís not space opera or superheroes).

Iím comforted by the fact that the original Blade Runner wasnít a big hit in its initial release in 1982 either.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.