GalacticaBBS: 'Battlestar Galactica' Movie in Development With Producers Michael De Luca, Scott Stuber - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

'Battlestar Galactica' Movie in Development With Producers Michael De Luca, Scott Stuber

#1 User is offline   Zipper Icon

• Co-Owner of Galatica.com/Galacticabbs.com - Callsign Tomcat
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Owners
  • Interests:Battlestar Galactica

Posted 10 February 2016 - 07:48 PM

February 10, 2016 12:00pm PT by Borys Kit

'Battlestar Galactica' Movie in Development With Producers Michael De Luca, Scott Stuber
Dylan Clark of Bluegrass Films is also producing.

Battlestar Galactica is getting another shot at the big-screen.

Powerhouse producer Michael De Luca is teaming up with Scott Stuber and Dylan Clark of Bluegrass Films to produce the movie for Universal, which is hoping to launch a massive event franchise.

Galactica was the short-lived but impactful television series created by Glen A. Larson in the post-Star Wars halo that aired on ABC from 1978 to 1979.

The show was revived and re-imagined for the post-9-11 world in 2004 as a thought-provoking, politically-charged series that ran to great acclaim on Syfy from 2004 to 2009.

As the show was winding down, Universal began developing the property as a movie, enlisting Bryan Singer to direct it, with several screenwriters coming and going. Singer hasnít been involved with the project since at least 2014.

No writers are on board at this early stage of the project.

The hook of the show concerned human civilization on distant planets being almost wiped out by intelligent machines known as Cylons. The survivors flee on starships, and led by the Galactica and her heroic crew, try to find a mythic human colony called Earth.

De Luca is one of the producers of Universalís Fifty Shades of Grey movies and produced its 2014 monster movie Dracula Untold.

Stuberís Bluegrass is coming off of Ted 2 and is prepping the Boston Marathon Bombing movie Patriotís Day with Pete Berg directing and Mark Wahlberg starring. The shingle is currently in post-production on The Free State of Jones, written and directed by Gary Ross and starring Matthew McConaughey, and Central Intelligence, New Line's comedy starring Kevin Hart and Dwayne Johnson.

hollywoodreporter.com
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Electricbolt Icon

• GBBS Admin & News Contributor - Callsign Survivor
  • View blog
  • Group: Forum Admins

Posted 10 February 2016 - 09:51 PM

Didn't we get an announcement like this a year or two ago? What happened to that one?

Also, the names attached to this aren't filling me with hope.
Posted Image
Latest Review: BSG: Six #1

#3 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 February 2016 - 10:13 PM

Producer of "50 Shades of Gray".... hmmm. Not exactly filling me with hope, that fact is. :blink:

Maybe I'm just too jaundiced, but I've been hearing BSG movie rumors since the '90s, so I'm afraid I'll believe it when I'm in the theatre actually watching the damn thing... <_<

#4 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:03 AM

I have no doubt that BSG will be back on the screen at some point due to the success of NuBSG but it seems a little pointless at this time. There's already 2 versions of the show out there so a third telling of the story might be a little over kill. When it does make it back on to the screen I hope that they jump in to the story instead of going from the beginning.

#5 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 11 February 2016 - 09:47 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 11 February 2016 - 09:03 AM, said:

I have no doubt that BSG will be back on the screen at some point due to the success of NuBSG but it seems a little pointless at this time. There's already 2 versions of the show out there so a third telling of the story might be a little over kill. When it does make it back on to the screen I hope that they jump in to the story instead of going from the beginning.

I could understand the need for a reboot if the 2nd try were flawed or didn't get things right, but that simply isn't the case. The 2003 reboot was everything the original wasn't and more so. It succeeded (critically) beyond anyone's wildest expectations (TIME magazine's show of the year twice! And a Peabody Award... in your face, Glen Larson). So what I can't understand is what this third time out hopes to achieve that the last version didn't; a return to the campy world of robot-dogs and mushies? Sweet baby Artemis, I hope not!

Remakes are only a good idea if the original is fundamentally flawed or badly dated in some way; 1978's BSG clearly was. The 2003 version really isn't. When Ron Moore conceived of the 2003 version, he saw the 1978 and realized how much more the idea (if not the execution) could resonate in a post-9/11 world, and it did... brilliantly. They got it right, and amended the wrongs of the previous show. IMO, a remake of the remake really has nowhere to go but down, unless (somehow?) it's a continuation of the 2003-09 series).

The only clear motivation I can see is to try to wring a few more $$ out of the BSG brand name, and that's just a bad place to start from. :cylonnono: :thumbsdown:

#6 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 11 February 2016 - 10:36 AM

I'm afraid I agree with OT on this one, I'm getting nasty vibes from the whole thing. No doubt I'll go and see it in theater if it ever comes out, though...
Posted Image
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 11 February 2016 - 11:54 AM

View Postmaneth, on 11 February 2016 - 10:36 AM, said:

I'm afraid I agree with OT on this one, I'm getting nasty vibes from the whole thing. No doubt I'll go and see it in theater if it ever comes out, though...

I don't think I'll believe it is really happening until I'm actually sitting IN the theatre... :lol:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.