What's on your mind?

#6481 User is offline   I Voted Baltar Icon

• Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Me, beer and Grace Park.

Posted 01 April 2017 - 04:38 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 29 March 2017 - 06:33 PM, said:

I can't say I blame the Scots for their desire to leave the UK; Brexit is such a cluster frak. This whole populist movement feels like this is the year where everyone lost their f--king minds.

It's a horrible situation. The UK Government has been a mess for a long while. After the Brexit outcome, everyone stood down, ran around in confusuion - Scotlands First Minister got to work and instantly tried to make amends with the EU. She was demonised by the press. Even now we have a PM struggling to deal with the embarrassing scenario of trying to talk about strength in unity to keep the UK together, whilst simultaneously talking about leaving the unity of the EU.....

....and yet the press gang are back to "Scotlands fault." It's just embarrassingly bad on all fronts with the papers trying to bury any achievement made here so we can continue to settle for a government who's primary kickoff point for leaving the EU was to strip people of basic human rights.

It's insanity :/

View Postmaneth, on 29 March 2017 - 09:56 PM, said:

Yeah, and it could still get worse. French ultranationalist Marine Le Pen is actually a favorite for winning the presidential election.-

Indeed - France has barely been covered here, but there's a lot going on thats put it in a downward spiral the past few years, which is sad to see :/

View Postobsolete toaster, on 31 March 2017 - 08:04 AM, said:

Off to WonderCon today; not much on the itinerary (it's a light year for events and autographs), but I plan to cosplay as Fred Flintstone yet again (though my wife and our friends jokes that I'm not fat enough anymore... I beg to differ, but I accept the compliment :P/> ).

Well you have got a lot thinner! Enjoy the event! So far this year we've had Capital in Edinburgh which, while not on the same scale, was a lot of fun. And I realised I knew the new Darth Vader from a previous life when I was a mutant and he was a gorrilla! :P
Posted Image
James St James | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.

#6482 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 03 April 2017 - 09:07 PM

Woke up around 3.30 and couldn't get back to sleep. So I read the final third of The Martian (started from when he was about to leave on his long trek to Schiaparelli). When I finished, it was 4.45 so I got up. I'm a fast reader. But I wish I could sleep a bit better.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6483 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 04 April 2017 - 07:42 AM

View PostI Voted Baltar, on 01 April 2017 - 04:38 AM, said:

Well you have got a lot thinner! Enjoy the event!

Posted Image :P

#6484 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:00 PM

The terrorist attack in Stockholm. It hit a bit too close to home. Last summer, I walked down the street where it happened. I can't decide if I'm angry, sad or both, so I posted here because it's definitely on my mind.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6485 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 07 April 2017 - 10:42 PM

View Postmaneth, on 07 April 2017 - 10:00 PM, said:

The terrorist attack in Stockholm. It hit a bit too close to home. Last summer, I walked down the street where it happened. I can't decide if I'm angry, sad or both, so I posted here because it's definitely on my mind.

I'm sorry that this horrible thing hit so close to you too, maneth. :(

I felt similarly about the San Bernardino terror attacks in 2015. I live about a half hour from San Bernardino, and when we first moved to California, we lived there for awhile. My best friend of over 30 years spent a year in Sweden as an exchange student, and another friend of mine was born in Sweden (but raised in the UK), so it was a bit personal for me as well. I have a great affection for Scandinavian peoples, and the thought of this kind of horror coming to them just makes me sick with grief.

#6486 User is offline   maneth Icon

Posted 10 April 2017 - 10:46 AM

Thanks OT, much appreciated.

We're having our first spring storm. Here's hoping for some rain to settle the dust. We've had very little snow this winter, so we need the rain to make things grow. Not a drought by any means, though.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6487 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 13 April 2017 - 01:21 PM

Just read OT's blog on ALIEN, where did it all go wrong. I agree that it was from Alien 3 onward that it basically got flushed down the toilet. The first 2 movies looked and felt scary as hell. The third movie was just a boring waste of film, Alien Resurrection was ok apart from the stupid Alien hybrid at the end that kinda wrecked it. The AvP movies had so much potential but were completely wasted and Promethius suffered from Daman Lindelof.

At least the new Alien movie looks like a balls to wall movie like the first 2, I hope they get this one right. I also want to see the Engineers and get some answers.

#6488 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 13 April 2017 - 10:43 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 13 April 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

Just read OT's blog on ALIEN, where did it all go wrong. I agree that it was from Alien 3 onward that it basically got flushed down the toilet. The first 2 movies looked and felt scary as hell. The third movie was just a boring waste of film, Alien Resurrection was ok apart from the stupid Alien hybrid at the end that kinda wrecked it. The AvP movies had so much potential but were completely wasted and Promethius suffered from Daman Lindelof.

At least the new Alien movie looks like a balls to wall movie like the first 2, I hope they get this one right. I also want to see the Engineers and get some answers.

Thanks for reading! :)

And regarding the engineers? I'd wish the movies never veered off in that direction; now it's more "Chariots of the Gods" than ALIEN.
I'm just hoping that the new movie tells a good, scary monster-on-the-loose story. Good enough, at this point.

#6489 User is offline   maneth Icon

Posted 14 April 2017 - 10:45 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 13 April 2017 - 01:21 PM, said:

OT, your analysis was spot-on. My husband tells me I've seen the entire quadrilogy, but I can't remember much from cubed or Resurrection (basically the "we hate and rape women" ethos of the third and the alien with the skull face and the jump into lava from the fourth.

Prometheus was a beautifully shot disappointment, but that was due to poor writing, and in my opinion bad casting. Noomi Rapace is nowhere near as good an actor as Sigourney Weaver. Granted, the situation would have been hell for anyone, but Rapace was always either scared shitless or mad as hell, and neither emotion showed much on her face. So I'm afraid my hopes aren't high on Covenant, given that she's a member of the cast. Fassbender on his own can only carry so much of a movie starring someone else.

I haven't seen any of the AVP movies and I'm happy to leave things that way.

OT, what's your take on Life as compared to the Alien franchise?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#6490 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 14 April 2017 - 11:16 PM

View Postmaneth, on 14 April 2017 - 10:45 PM, said:

OT, your analysis was spot-on. My husband tells me I've seen the entire quadrilogy, but I can't remember much from cubed or Resurrection (basically the "we hate and rape women" ethos of the third and the alien with the skull face and the jump into lava from the fourth.

Prometheus was a beautifully shot disappointment, but that was due to poor writing, and in my opinion bad casting. Noomi Rapace is nowhere near as good an actor as Sigourney Weaver. Granted, the situation would have been hell for anyone, but Rapace was always either scared shitless or mad as hell, and neither emotion showed much on her face. So I'm afraid my hopes aren't high on Covenant, given that she's a member of the cast. Fassbender on his own can only carry so much of a movie starring someone else.

I haven't seen any of the AVP movies and I'm happy to leave things that way.

OT, what's your take on Life as compared to the Alien franchise?

^
I guess I should've included that in my blog... oops! :D
I'd compare "Life" to the 4th ALIEN movie ("Resurrection"); both have a decidedly lower ambition, and IMO that's perfectly okay sometimes.
Life and Resurrection are both just monster movies, though Life wisely dispenses with some of the artsy-fartsy touches of Resurrection (and ALL of the pretentious bulls#!t of ALIEN3, which I simply can't stand).
"Life" is just a decent little monster movie with an extra layer of gloss and "Gravity"-style realism. It's almost a de facto remake of ALIEN in many ways, though for many reasons it'll never be the classic that was Ridley Scott's original, not the least of which is because it was made 35 years too late...

If I had to rank Life within the ALIEN mythology? I'd put Life maybe slightly above ALIEN Resurrection (which was a step up for me from ALIEN3).

Oh, and thanks for reading the blog. I appreciate it. :)

#6491 User is offline   I Voted Baltar Icon

• Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion
  • View blog
  • Interests:Me, beer and Grace Park.

Posted 19 April 2017 - 09:56 AM

I hate Resurrection. For the good cast and design (The Betty), it's just people running. No fight, no challenge, no attempt to win. Just run away and hope for the best. I preferred Alien 3's path to redemption route; the flawed, the criminal... but underneath all that, the knowing that you have to do the right thing (well, some of them anyway :P).

3 wasn't a perfect film - but it at least had a struggle and a challenge that the various characters worked together to fight against.

On my mind today, aside from hating Resurrection :P, many things....

1. Con men. After watching the latest twist in the Axanar tale (more fundraisers - no film, no money left, it's everyone elses fault apparently) I'm just wondering how these people get away with it and carry on. He did it with Propworks many times, he did it with Axanar over and over and now he's doing it with "Industry Studios" which he owns, but doesn't own, or something.... I'm struggling to find legitimate work and this wankpuffin's raking in thousands for doing nothing. Baffling.

2. A decision to rewrite a rejected script. Pacings better, story plots out far better and a two hour rush to a conclusions become a multi-part arc that leads to a formation of an idea. I'm not even sure why I'm bothering, but I can't let it go unfinished. Even if I've got other scripts to submit to other places; this is the story I want, this is the job I want. And for some reason I can't stop :/

3. I'm hungry.
Posted Image
James St James | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.

#6492 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 20 April 2017 - 03:59 PM

View PostI Voted Baltar, on 19 April 2017 - 09:56 AM, said:

I hate Resurrection. For the good cast and design (The Betty), it's just people running. No fight, no challenge, no attempt to win. Just run away and hope for the best. I preferred Alien 3's path to redemption route; the flawed, the criminal... but underneath all that, the knowing that you have to do the right thing (well, some of them anyway :P/>).

3 wasn't a perfect film - but it at least had a struggle and a challenge that the various characters worked together to fight against.

On my mind today, aside from hating Resurrection :P/>, many things....

1. Con men. After watching the latest twist in the Axanar tale (more fundraisers - no film, no money left, it's everyone elses fault apparently) I'm just wondering how these people get away with it and carry on. He did it with Propworks many times, he did it with Axanar over and over and now he's doing it with "Industry Studios" which he owns, but doesn't own, or something.... I'm struggling to find legitimate work and this wankpuffin's raking in thousands for doing nothing. Baffling.

2. A decision to rewrite a rejected script. Pacings better, story plots out far better and a two hour rush to a conclusions become a multi-part arc that leads to a formation of an idea. I'm not even sure why I'm bothering, but I can't let it go unfinished. Even if I've got other scripts to submit to other places; this is the story I want, this is the job I want. And for some reason I can't stop :/

3. I'm hungry.

I love how you're thoughts are so well organized... wish I could do that. :lol:

Totally agree with you about Axanar.
I feel even worse, since I was one of the dupes who gave them money (!).
Oh well; not the first time I've misspent money (going to see ALIEN 3 was another... bazinga! :lol: :P ).

WOMM:

Well, Mrs T and I are going to a small, local convention (about 15-20 minutes away) next month called "Comic Con Revolution"; it's a one-day only event, but Doug Jung (writer of "Star Trek Beyond" and Sulu's husband in the film) is going to be there; hoping I can score an autograph on my blu ray, or at least a pic. I look forward to a smaller convention; sometimes it's nice to just enjoy the cosplay and soak it all in, rather than being herded and rushed like a cattle stampede. :D

#6493 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 22 April 2017 - 08:58 AM

Well, Mrs T and I are going to spend this Earth Day marching downtown as part of the March For Science. Climate science and science in general is a subject near-and-dear to my heart, and I'm glad (for once) to be doing something a bit more active than just signing petitions and voting in elections. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I want a chance to be a part of a movement that means a lot to me; and just being another number matters. Every head counts. :thumbsup:

#6494 User is offline   Electricbolt Icon

• GBBS Admin & News Contributor - Callsign Survivor
  • View blog
  • Group: Forum Admins

Posted 23 April 2017 - 06:49 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 22 April 2017 - 08:58 AM, said:

Well, Mrs T and I are going to spend this Earth Day marching downtown as part of the March For Science. Climate science and science in general is a subject near-and-dear to my heart, and I'm glad (for once) to be doing something a bit more active than just signing petitions and voting in elections. I don't know if it makes a difference, but I want a chance to be a part of a movement that means a lot to me; and just being another number matters. Every head counts. :thumbsup:/>

I wanted to take part in the march in Buffalo, but didn't realize there was one in the city until two days ago and couldn't find a ride up (car issues for my own vehicle :(). I did have the surprise of an "Earth Expo" having its inaugural event take place across the street from where I live in the park. The local university had a club organize it, so I got to take part in that at least :thumbsup:
Posted Image
Latest Review: BSG: Six #1

#6495 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 24 April 2017 - 07:00 PM

View PostElectricbolt, on 23 April 2017 - 06:49 PM, said:

I wanted to take part in the march in Buffalo, but didn't realize there was one in the city until two days ago and couldn't find a ride up (car issues for my own vehicle :(/>). I did have the surprise of an "Earth Expo" having its inaugural event take place across the street from where I live in the park. The local university had a club organize it, so I got to take part in that at least :thumbsup:/>

I was surprised to read today that my local March actually drew over 2,000 (!). I thought it was more like 1,200 or so. I was glad to be wrong. :)

Share this topic:

• 325 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.