GalacticaBBS: Hollywood producer Brett Ratner blames Rotten Tomatoes for telling people about bad reviews - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Hollywood producer Brett Ratner blames Rotten Tomatoes for telling people about bad reviews

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 06:58 AM

Posted Image

Brett Ratner has been around Hollywood a long time, and a fair share of his movies have, umm, not done that great with critics. So, he has some choice words for review aggregator Rotten Tomatoes.

Ratner, whose RatPac Entertainment fitted the bill for some of Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice, lit into the review aggregation phenomenon while speaking at the Sun Valley Film Festival. If Ratnerís name sounds familiar, he also directed the abysmal X-Men: The Last Stand and the Rush Hour series of films. So, umm, yeah. He definitely has a bone to pick about bad reviews.

Hereís an excerpt from Ratnerís comments:

ďI have such respect and admiration for film criticism. When I was growing up film criticism was a real art. And there was intellect that went into that. And you would read Pauline Kaelís reviews, or some others, and that doesnít exist anymore. Now itís about a number. A compounded number of how many positives vs. negatives. Now itís about, ĎWhatís your Rotten Tomatoes score?í

Thatís sad, because the Rotten Tomatoes score was so low on Batman v Superman I think it put a cloud over a movie that was incredibly successful. People donít realize what goes into making a movie like that. Itís mind-blowing. Itís just insane. Itís hurting the business. Itís getting people to not see a movie. In Middle America itís, ĎOh, itís a low Rotten Tomatoes score so Iím not going to go see it because it must suck.íĒ

Of course, even with the abysmal reviews, Batman v Superman made a boatload of money. So did most of Ratnerís other films, so yeah, bad reviews donít always tank a release. But, most viewers would likely agree that it helps to be able to get a consensus before dropping their hard-earned money and heading to the theater.

Source: Blastr

#2 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 24 March 2017 - 07:00 AM

I tend to make my own mind up about movies rather than reading too many reviews. I agree that in this day and age a site like Rotten Tomatoes can make or break a movie because everyone goes there to check the score. I for one thought BvS was ok, not the greatest super hero movie but not the turd the internet was making out to be.

#3 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 24 March 2017 - 08:12 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 24 March 2017 - 07:00 AM, said:

I pend to make my own mind up about movies rather than reading too many reviews. I agree that in this day and age a site like Rotten Tomatoes can make or break a movie because everyone goes there to check the score. I for one thought BvS was ok, not the greatest super hero movie but not the turd the internet was making out to be.

^
This. On both points. I've seen movies that scored low on RT, and they've been surprisingly entertaining. And the same for BvS; it wasn't entirely successful (by a long shot), but there were a handful of interesting things that prevented it from being a complete waste of time.

#4 User is offline   I Voted Baltar Icon

• Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion
  • View blog
  • Interests:Me, beer and Grace Park.

Posted 29 March 2017 - 04:09 PM

BVS was dire. But the need t be negative has killed a lot of things before they can be seen.

Look at the difference between the hype machine that is Star Wars and a DC film - SS wasn't great, but didn't deserve the hate. TFA wasn't bad, but didn't deserve the hype - they can make or break you and they feed on that negative vibe now more than ever
Posted Image
James St James | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.

#5 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 29 March 2017 - 07:32 PM

View PostI Voted Baltar, on 29 March 2017 - 04:09 PM, said:

BVS was dire. But the need t be negative has killed a lot of things before they can be seen.

Look at the difference between the hype machine that is Star Wars and a DC film - SS wasn't great, but didn't deserve the hate. TFA wasn't bad, but didn't deserve the hype - they can make or break you and they feed on that negative vibe now more than ever

While I may differ with my opinion on TFA (I enjoyed it), I very much agree with you that the internet hype machine is out of control. "Passengers" is a good example of a decent, entertaining little B-movie that was mercilessly slammed by people who expected it to reinvent the wheel. It never tried to do that; it just sought to entertain, and IMO it did.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.