GalacticaBBS: Syfy To Promote Battlstar Galactica Online Prequel To Backdoor Pilot - GalacticaBBS

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Syfy To Promote Battlstar Galactica Online Prequel To Backdoor Pilot

#1 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:2013 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:43 AM

TV Squad are reporting that Syfy are turning their planned Battlestar Galactica prequel web series into a fully-fledged TV series. The online series, Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome, will tell the story of a young William Adama’s escapades as a pilot during the first Cylon War, but Michael Taylor‘s script for part 1 was so strong Syfy decided to turn the idea into a “backdoor pilot” (a broadcast “special episode” that could herald a TV series if audience response is favourable).

Mark Stern, Syfy’s Executive VP of Original Programming:

“When we read Michael [Taylor]‘s script, it was so clearly a full-blown pilot for a series. The scope is fantastic and bigger, I think, than anticipated, so we said, ‘Let’s do it as a two-hour backdoor pilot.’ We’re trying to get up and running as soon as possible.”

Syfy To Promote BSG Prequel to Backdoor Pilot
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   sean Icon

• Callsign - Shadow
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:space.and the conquest of this world.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

have my cylon fingers crossed....

#3 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:49 AM

View Postdsgtdave, on 22 October 2010 - 11:43 AM, said:

TV Squad are reporting that Syfy are turning their planned Battlestar Galactica prequel web series into a fully-fledged TV series. The online series, Battlestar Galactica: Blood & Chrome, will tell the story of a young William Adama’s escapades as a pilot during the first Cylon War, but Michael Taylor‘s script for part 1 was so strong Syfy decided to turn the idea into a “backdoor pilot” (a broadcast “special episode” that could herald a TV series if audience response is favourable).

Mark Stern, Syfy’s Executive VP of Original Programming:

“When we read Michael [Taylor]‘s script, it was so clearly a full-blown pilot for a series. The scope is fantastic and bigger, I think, than anticipated, so we said, ‘Let’s do it as a two-hour backdoor pilot.’ We’re trying to get up and running as soon as possible.”

Syfy To Promote BSG Prequel to Backdoor Pilot

Again; making the same mistake twice. :cylonnono:
While I love the idea for Blood and Chrome and can't wait to see it, I really don't think a prequel series is the way to go for this franchise (isn't Caprica proving that on a weekly basis??). Not enough material to stretch over a possible 4 year or so run, IMO. Besides, we KNOW HOW IT ALL ENDS! Prequels are inherently self-defeating that way.
Now, a Blood and Chrome miniseries (maybe a nice, hefty three-parter) would be ten shades of awesome! :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#4 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 22 October 2010 - 12:17 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 22 October 2010 - 11:49 AM, said:

Again; making the same mistake twice. :cylonnono:
While I love the idea for Blood and Chrome and can't wait to see it, I really don't think a prequel series is the way to go for this franchise (isn't Caprica proving that on a weekly basis??). Not enough material to stretch over a possible 4 year or so run, IMO. Besides, we KNOW HOW IT ALL ENDS! Prequels are inherently self-defeating that way.
Now, a Blood and Chrome miniseries (maybe a nice, hefty three-parter) would be ten shades of awesome! :cylonclap:

Maybe but this has action written all over it. Action is what people are screaming for in Caprica. It would make sense what the author of the article says about transferring the budget and giving caps the axe.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 01:21 PM

I'm skeptical about this. A web-series? Sure. A movie or mini-series? Awesome. But a full series? I don't know about that. Considering the fact that Caprica's ratings continue to dive into the gutter with reckless abandon, I doubt it could be a financial success, and I don't think the first Cylon War has enough potential to be an artistic success, either. I don't see how it wouldn't just turn into a rehash of BSG after a while.

I mean, I'd certainly try it, but I don't have high hopes.

#6 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 22 October 2010 - 02:19 PM

Here is a more detailed link

1CW Prequel
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 22 October 2010 - 11:09 PM

It will get 3 shows and then be cut in the same lame-ness that threatens Caprica now. If it can't get ratings on TV how can some website get millions of viewers even YouTube can only pull that off for select videos and it takes awhile to do.
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."¯
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:35 AM

Maybe I read it wrong but it sounds like the web based series was scrapped in favor of the 2 hour pilot.
Posted Image

#9 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 23 October 2010 - 12:36 AM

Till they cut that into 4 one minute commercials!
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2010 - 12:59 PM

This is interesting

‘Battlestar’ movie will introduce Beka Kelly, an enigmatic software genius
Posted Image

#11 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 25 October 2010 - 09:27 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 25 October 2010 - 12:59 PM, said:

Any relation to the future Galactica LSO turned unibomber-wannabe Captain Kelly? Hmmm..... inquiring toasters want to know! :cylonclap:
Posted Image
Posted ImagePosted Image

#12 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 25 October 2010 - 10:53 PM

Oh my... they ALREADY changed it! TOLD YOU... I'm surprised I got the news before Ravenshayde did?!

They changed the TITLE!
Spoiler

Posted Image

#13 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 October 2010 - 12:24 AM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 25 October 2010 - 10:53 PM, said:

Oh my... they ALREADY changed it! TOLD YOU... I'm surprised I got the news before Ravenshayde did?!

They changed the TITLE!
Spoiler

I agree with your spoiler comments 100%. :cylonclap:

They really ought to consider doing this as a miniseries (with a firm conclusion, no bulls**t backdoor pilot nonsense. I mean, it's not like we don't know what'll eventually happen, right?). :wacko:
A four to six hour mini would be perfect! SciFi (before it became the f**ktarded SyFy) used to do miniseries really well. Remember?
Not every good idea has to lead to a full series. You don't see JAWS the TV series, do you?
:cylonnono:

And I wouldn't worry too much about franchise fatigue setting in; if the ratings of BSG's last season and Caprica's first season are any indicator?
This backdoor pilot will never make it to series (look how long it took the network to green-light Caprica! Almost two damn years!! :blink: ).

And I'll say this again; even though I have mixed emotions about Caprica, I'd like to see the story conclude, at least.
Again, a nice, six-hour, end-run miniseries to wrap it all up would be just what the toaster doctor ordered... :cylonclap:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#14 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 02 December 2010 - 02:53 PM

I'm finding myself being more drawn to the possibilities of this than I previously thought. However I, like a few others, am struggling with how they will extract significant content from a short period of time (towards the end of the cylon war), but could it be done?

I don't recall where there was a mention of just how much service he had, but in the first episode of the Razor Flashbacks he exclaims to McGavin (HOT!) "Hey just because I've never flown in combat..." so that means he has zero.

I thought he had 2 years but I was dead wrong. How can this be done? Straight up bust cannon? The following information doesn't seem to make a case for an extended period of time to me. I don't remember any of this happening outside of the deleted scene. I just re-watched the flashbacks and it doesn't jive. Am I missing something?

Adama served late in the Cylon War as both a Raptor and Viper pilot, his first assignment being on Galactica. His first mission behind enemy lines was in a Raptor undergoing an unknown mission (TRS: "Razor Flashbacks," Episode 1; "Sine Qua Non").

He proved a gifted pilot, shooting down his first Cylon on his very first combat mission, for which he received a commendation (TRS: "Razor Flashbacks", Episode 3; "Hero").

In the last week in the war, Adama served on Galactica when the battlestar was boarded by Cylon forces. He recalled to his friend Saul Tigh a dangerous Cylon tactic that tried to turn the battlestar's power against itself (TRS: "Valley of Darkness", deleted scene).
Posted Image

#15 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:06 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 02 December 2010 - 02:53 PM, said:

I'm finding myself being more drawn to the possibilities of this than I previously thought. However I, like a few others, am struggling with how they will extract significant content from a short period of time (towards the end of the cylon war), but could it be done?

I don't recall where there was a mention of just how much service he had, but in the first episode of the Razor Flashbacks he exclaims to McGavin (HOT!) "Hey just because I've never flown in combat..." so that means he has zero.

I thought he had 2 years but I was dead wrong. How can this be done? Straight up bust cannon? The following information doesn't seem to make a case for an extended period of time to me. I don't remember any of this happening outside of the deleted scene. I just re-watched the flashbacks and it doesn't jive. Am I missing something?

Adama served late in the Cylon War as both a Raptor and Viper pilot, his first assignment being on Galactica. His first mission behind enemy lines was in a Raptor undergoing an unknown mission (TRS: "Razor Flashbacks," Episode 1; "Sine Qua Non").

He proved a gifted pilot, shooting down his first Cylon on his very first combat mission, for which he received a commendation (TRS: "Razor Flashbacks", Episode 3; "Hero").

In the last week in the war, Adama served on Galactica when the battlestar was boarded by Cylon forces. He recalled to his friend Saul Tigh a dangerous Cylon tactic that tried to turn the battlestar's power against itself (TRS: "Valley of Darkness", deleted scene).

Who ya gonna call?
CANON BUSTERS!! :lol:

I had similar issues when I heard about "Blood & Chrome" as well. That was Adama's rookie mission (and it was the end of the war); so making an "All Quiet On The Western Front" style show wouldn't really work. Unless... they do it thusly:

* He was in a different branch of the military (a Colonial ground trooper) in the first part of the war; then his tour was up, he switched to the Colonial Space navy? Reaching, I know...or

* The Razor/webisode of young Adama talking to his girlfriend (MacGavin, the HOTTIE; agreed) was a couple years before the second 'young Adama' flashback of the destruction of the Columbia and he'd already been a pilot for awhile by then. That could be; as he did seem pretty confident when he said, "This c**ksucker's mine"; good old 'stage time,' at its best. ;)

Or as you say, dave; CANON BUSTERS!! :lol:
If it serves a greater story? I guess I'm OK with it, but I've rarely seen an instance where it's worked in favor of the story.
The only times in BSG where it's worked is where the Colonials went from saying "god" in the pilot miniseries to "gods" by "33." Or when Tigh calls Gaeta "Guy-ta" in the pilot. Those are more continuity nits than b@lls out canon busting, I suppose...

We shall see.... :cylon-pancarte03:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#16 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:08 PM

Two words:

Dr. Zee
Posted Image

#17 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:31 PM

Your theory on what was shown in the razor flashbacks would work but the only problem is they started epsiode one by saying it was day 4571. So that is 12 years aint it?
Posted Image

#18 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:58 PM

View Postdsgtdave, on 02 December 2010 - 07:31 PM, said:

Your theory on what was shown in the razor flashbacks would work but the only problem is they started epsiode one by saying it was day 4571. So that is 12 years aint it?

Only we've never asked how long is a colonial year? Is it an earth year? :blink: Inquiring toasters want to know.... :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#19 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 02 December 2010 - 07:59 PM

But that assumes an exact date everyone must agree on - and it depends who's writing the history book.
Posted Image

#20 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 02 December 2010 - 08:37 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 02 December 2010 - 07:58 PM, said:

Only we've never asked how long is a colonial year? Is it an earth year? :blink: Inquiring toasters want to know.... :cylonnono:

True. Heck of a coinkydink that 4571 equals to 12 1/2 years. Either way I just hope that if the pilot spwans a series they do it in a manner that is acceptable.
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.