GalacticaBBS: Battlestar Wiki Potentially Shutting Down - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Battlestar Wiki Potentially Shutting Down

#1 User is offline   Electricbolt Icon

• GBBS Admin & News Contributor - Callsign Survivor
  • View blog
  • Group: Forum Admins

Posted 13 September 2015 - 05:02 AM

A friend of mine shared this on Facebook today, he's quite upset by the potential news as he frequently edits the wiki. The following was posted by the Battlestar Wiki Project Leader on the official Facebook page:

Greetings Colonials:

Due to diminishing interest in BSG and the fact that most of the main contributors have since moved on, I am looking at the possibly of shutting down the BattlestarWiki.org website come early next year.

That is to say, unless I'm able to hand this off to someone who is willing to continue to maintain it (both financially and from the tech support perspective, who has the willingness and time available), that seems to be the only option. It's honestly this option that I've been procrastinating on for quite a while now, even though the writing was on the wall for quite some time, simply because I was loathe to simply turn off the lights and walk away.

Either way, it has been a stellar 10 year run, and I personally couldn't be happier with how things have turned out -- considering that this project was initially borne from boredom. Despite those origins, the numerous contributors and roller coaster algae-ridden ride have been worth it, despite all the ups-and-downs.

In other words, while all good things do come to an end, I'm not sad that it is coming to an end... but happy that it happened to begin with. And I hope this little website happened to affect you more positively than negatively. smile emoticon

Regards,

Joe Beaudoin Jr.
Project Leader
Battlestar Wiki

P.S. This Facebook group will probably live on, as I have no plans to deactivate it, as it is easier to hand-off than a website.

Posted Image
Latest Review: BSG: Six #1

#2 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 14 September 2015 - 03:50 AM

Its a shame but not unexpected these days. I think this board is the only BSG site still going and that's just because of us regulars. The show ended a long time ago and as Joe said people have moved on.

#3 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:50 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 14 September 2015 - 03:50 AM, said:

Its a shame but not unexpected these days. I think this board is the only BSG site still going and that's just because of us regulars. The show ended a long time ago and as Joe said people have moved on.

Sad... :(

#4 User is offline   Electricbolt Icon

• GBBS Admin & News Contributor - Callsign Survivor
  • View blog
  • Group: Forum Admins

Posted 14 September 2015 - 02:43 PM

It is indeed sad. My friend stated that the project leader was actually offered a sum of money for the wiki by Wikia but it was turned down. I can't accurately attest to that claim (or the amount offered), however my own research shows that the website is in the five digits in terms of worth. But, we all know worth is only worth what someone is willing to pay so.. who knows.
Posted Image
Latest Review: BSG: Six #1

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.