GalacticaBBS: Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Photobucket Breaks Image Links Across the Internet Want embedded Photobucket images to continue loading in forums or on y

#1 User is online   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:37 AM

Embedding images on a website or in a forum post is a very common practice, with those images usually living on one of the many well-known image hosting websites. One such host is Photobucket, but a recent change to its subscription tiers means many millions of images across the Internet are no longer going to load outside of Photobucket's own site.

The key feature of a Photobucket account we're talking about here is called "3rd Party Hosting." It allows you to embed images from Photobucket in another location on the Internet, e.g. in a forum post or on a website.

As Norvic Philatelics discovered, Photobucket changed its terms and conditions and removed the 3rd Party Hosting feature from the lower subscription tiers. If you want to continue using that feature then a Photobucket Plus 500 subscription is required. It costs $39.99 per month or $399 per year.

Not only is that very expensive, it means existing Photobucket accounts on lower subscriptions tiers will have any embedded images they've created in the past cease to work. Considering Photobucket has been around since 2003 and hosts over 10 billion images, that's potentially millions of embedded images across the Internet being broken thanks to a policy change. Here's just one example of how this change impacts a forum thread.

The worst part of this debacle, according to Ghacks.net, is the fact Photobucket users were apparently given no warning of the change. The subscription features simply changed, and images stopped loading without explanation.

There's hope this is a mistake, or that Photobucket's management will realize the scale of the problem they have created with this change. But if that doesn't happen, expect to see that Photobucket broken link image above many times in the coming months.

Source: PCMag

#2 User is online   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 03 July 2017 - 09:39 AM

Posted this because a lot of people on here use PB.

#3 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 03 July 2017 - 12:54 PM

Thanks for posting that. I use PB but it had become almost unusable even without the policy change with all the ads. What's the best alternative?
Posted Image
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 03 July 2017 - 10:17 PM

Note to self: stop using Photobucket for resources... :P

And to Photobucket:

Posted Image :P

#5 User is online   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 05 July 2017 - 09:54 AM

View Postmaneth, on 03 July 2017 - 12:54 PM, said:

Thanks for posting that. I use PB but it had become almost unusable even without the policy change with all the ads. What's the best alternative?

For artwork I've been using DeviantArt, I'm afraid I don't know for general picture sharing.

#6 User is online   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 13 July 2017 - 05:18 AM

I woke up this morning and all the links have been broken, including my sig that I've just moved to DeviantArt.

#7 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 July 2017 - 07:20 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 13 July 2017 - 05:18 AM, said:

I woke up this morning and all the links have been broken, including my sig that I've just moved to DeviantArt.

Yeah, I noticed one of my three was broken as well. Ph#@king Photobucket... :ranting:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.