GalacticaBBS: Christian Bale says Terminator Salvation is 'a great thorn in my side' - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Christian Bale says Terminator Salvation is 'a great thorn in my side'

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 09 January 2018 - 03:12 PM

Posted Image

Terminator Salvation faced criticism from day one, even from those starring in the film. Although the modest blockbuster didn’t quite ignite fandom (and its follow-up, Terminator Genisys, bombed with critics, audiences, and grammar nuts), Salvation is perhaps best known for star Christian Bale’s profane on-set rant that went viral. Bale, however, remains candid about much of the film’s folly, as seen in an interview on MTV's Happy Sad Confused podcast.

Bale credits his “perverse side” for why he took the role of John Connor in the first place, saying he was warned off the film by so many people that he tackled the part as a sort of challenge to himself. “I said no three times. I thought that the franchise… I went ‘Nah, there’s no story there,’ ” Bale said before lamenting that Salvation remains “a great thorn in my side.” “I wish we could have reinvigorated that," Bale said, referring to the Terminator franchise, "and unfortunately, during production, you could tell that wasn’t happening. It’s a great shame.”

Another shame for Bale comes from the aforementioned viral recording of him unloading on cinematographer Shane Hurlbut, who supposedly got into frame during a take. The outburst, while relatively easy to find on YouTube, is one filled with expletives, frustration, and regret. Speaking on it, Bale blames the scene’s heightened emotions for his behavior, though he says he learned that “no matter how much you lose yourself in a scene, you do not allow yourself to behave that way. And yeah, of course I’ve got enormous regrets about it.”

Neither the film nor the outburst could stifle Bale’s career, as he went on to work with director David O. Russell (another film industry A-lister with a history of on-set blow-ups) for The Fighter, for which Bale won a Best Supporting Actor Oscar. Bale said that on that film and those following it, he was greeted with "humor" by crews for his outburst rather than ostracized. His apology obviously helped, but the video was simply so outrageous that crew members could see "it wasn't [Bale]" during that tirade, but the worst part of him. Nonetheless, the video did and perhaps will always trail the actor.

Source: SyFy.com

#2 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 January 2018 - 07:22 AM

I prefer to see it as a waste of $10 ticket. :lol:

One of the worst ‘big’ movies I’ve paid to see in the last ten years. The X-Files movie sequel was another. 2008 was a bad year for movies...

#3 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 10 January 2018 - 10:07 AM

Terminator Salvation should of been a great movie. I knew that it was in trouble when it gave away the plot twist in the trailer! As much as I like Christian Bale I found his character of John Connor completely over the top and not likeable at all.

#4 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 10 January 2018 - 06:37 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 10 January 2018 - 10:07 AM, said:

Terminator Salvation should of been a great movie. I knew that it was in trouble when it gave away the plot twist in the trailer! As much as I like Christian Bale I found his character of John Connor completely over the top and not likeable at all.

I have a similar problem with John Connor as I do with movie-Batman; he’s been played by so many actors that I don’t really have a specific image of him in my head anymore. Each is so radically different from the one before that you can’t really get a bead on who he is as a character. I liked that T3 recast with an Eddie Furlong type (Nick Stahl), so at least he felt like the same person somewhat. But by Salvation, he was just generic warrior-leader guy. In the TV series, he was sullen and emo. And then in GeniSys (or however the frak it’s spelled) he was smarmy and creepy.

Even when recast multiple times, James Bond is still very much James Bond. The Doctor is still the Doctor. Even Zachary Quinto’s Spock feels internally consistent with Leonard Nimoy’s (they even shared a screen together, and it worked). But John Connor? After all these movies, I still don’t really know who he is, or what type of person he is, to tell you the truth. Smart-aleck kid? Grim, fatalistic soldier? Smarmy politician-liquid metal guy?
Who the hell knows (let alone cares) anymore...

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.