GalacticaBBS: Is it just me, or are all Marvel Cinematic Universe movies the same? - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Is it just me, or are all Marvel Cinematic Universe movies the same?

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:57 AM

Posted Image

"Marvel does it again!" squealed the early reviews for Doctor Strange. And that, old friends, is entirely the problem. Though neither expert nor aficionado, I’ve seen nine out of 14 MCU films, including both Avengers (although I could barely finish Age of Bloat-ron), the “good” one (Guardians of the Galaxy), 1.5 Captain Americas and innumerable Iron Men. Frankly, even if Kevin Feige isn’t done, I am.

Shiny, samey, and surprisingly cheap-looking, the films are increasingly hard to tell apart – as are the villains. Is that Ultron or The Destroyer? A Chitauri or a Dark Elf? Tom Hiddleston with stupid plastic horns or Lee Pace with mascara issues? The heroes don’t fare much better. Forever popping up in each other’s movies, there are so many of these dicks on the dance floor that even well-paid performers like Jeremy Renner complain about having nothing to do. And don’t get me started on the sexist sidelining of Scarlett Johansson’s Black Widow.

Full of CG armies battling poorly disguised stunt doubles, the action scenes are weightless and wipe-clean; the dialogue sharp but so painfully self-aware (Tony Stark: “The Avengers. That's what we call ourselves; we're sort of like a team. ‘Earth's Mightiest Heroes’ type thing.”) you never forget that you’re watching a movie – a movie about characters who know they’re in one. If that floats your boat, fine; there are worse ways to spend two hours. But it’s not what I go to the cinema for. Shouldn’t escapism allow you to actually escape?

Less a series of comic book adaptations than a cartoon without end, the MCU plays out in instalments that finish back where they began: cities may crumble, but our heroes always triumph; Earth may be at stake, but the outcome is always assured. There’s no jeopardy: no one (major) dies, cries or, really, seems to care very much. The Dark Knight series may have been, essentially, a guy twatting about in a cape, but at least Bruce Wayne was fallible, changeable, human. The MCU may be consistent, but it’s their universe, not ours.

Source: Gamesradar.com

#2 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 08:59 AM

I agree, I'm very bored with Marvel these days. I've seen all the movies but I honestly can't even remember what the latest ones we're about.

#3 User is offline   I Voted Baltar Icon

• Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Me, beer and Grace Park.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:45 PM

The "Must see!" aura has worn off for me. But thats normal. I dont think theres anything particularly wrong with an action film, especially one like Marvel has crafted, and if the idea of superheroes zomming round saving the Earth was supposed to feel real.... I'd probably ant to change my medication! :P

The major issue for me is throwing in too many characters. More people, more products, more tickets.... and I don't think theres anyone that can comfortably replace the main team right now, which is unfortunate as only Stark has an ongoing story/character that can be fleshed out.

I think it's too much too soon. Bring the current crop to their natural end, THEN start on the next one. Theres too many balls in the air right now and I'm finding it hard to care about the recent MCU arrivals.
Posted Image
James St James | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:07 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 13 February 2017 - 08:59 AM, said:

I agree, I'm very bored with Marvel these days. I've seen all the movies but I honestly can't even remember what the latest ones we're about.

I did like Dr. Strange, more so for the execution than the story, but yeah; there is a sameness setting in with Marvel.
I don't think I remember much about the last Avengers & Captain America movies, or even which was which.

At this point, it feels like they could just number them Marvel #47, Marvel #48, etc. and no one would care. :blink:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.