GalacticaBBS: Battlestar Galactica film finds a writer, close to signing Hunger Games director - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Battlestar Galactica film finds a writer, close to signing Hunger Games director

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 03:58 AM

Posted Image

A film adaptation of Battlestar Galactica has been kicking around development for about a year, and now it seems Universal is close to actually making it happen.

Deadline reports the studio has signed Lisa Joy (HBO’s Westworld) to put a script together, and her pitch on the property has apparently attracted Francis Lawrence (I Am Legend, The Hunger Games franchise) to potentially direct. Lawrence is said to be “circling” the project now. If they can crack a story that works, the studio apparently sees BSG as a potential tentpole sci-fi franchise in the years moving forward.

In case you haven’t watched Ronald D. Moore’s seminal 2003 Syfy series based on the cheesy old sci-fi project, the franchise follows the last remnants of humanity that are on the run from killer robots called Cylons. Moore’s adaptation was one of the best sci-fi shows ever conceived, which sets the bar even higher for whatever form this big-screen version takes. It’s most definitely going to be graded against the series, and it better bring something fresh to the table to entice fans.

What would you like to see from a new Battlestar Galactica film? Something in the same vein as Moore’s series, or maybe a flick more swashbuckling and fun like the original series?

Posted Image

Source: Blastr

#2 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 13 June 2016 - 06:49 AM

This project has been gestating for over 2 years with no clear. I hope that is this project finally takes off they don't rehash the origin story but focus on an original story half way through the journey.

#3 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 June 2016 - 08:39 AM

I'll believe it when I see it.
Till then? I think it's nothing more than a bad idea. As I've said before; the series (new series) was a damn near perfect closed loop. There is no need for either a followup or a retro-return to the campier TOS BSG. Rebooting the 2003 series would be a bit sacrilegious IMO, and redoing the 1978 version would be a waste of time and money. Either way, you're making a copy of a copy. I just don't see (or care to see) what they could do to 'improve' the more recent (and spectacularly well-done) newer show.

Lotsa luck to them, but I wish they wouldn't even try. BSG was done right the 2nd time; as the followups (Caprica, Blood & Chrome) proved, you won't capture lightning in a bottle a third time.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.