• You cannot reply to this topic

Fans make the show Fan input makes a show

#21 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 June 2011 - 06:58 PM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 20 June 2011 - 05:53 PM, said:

Why don't you give it a try before you give up so quickly.

Oh, it's in jest; but honestly? They're going to make the movie they're going to make with/without fan input.
The pilot's already been shot anyway (it's in post-production, I understand). Might as well see what they've done before I start firing off letters to anyone.... :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#22 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 21 June 2011 - 08:32 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 20 June 2011 - 06:58 PM, said:

Oh, it's in jest; but honestly? They're going to make the movie they're going to make with/without fan input.
The pilot's already been shot anyway (it's in post-production, I understand). Might as well see what they've done before I start firing off letters to anyone.... :D

Absolutely, I agree. Better save some of that venom that you have been using on Green Lantern and use it on the pilot when it airs. LOL
Posted Image

Second to None!

#23 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 21 June 2011 - 11:46 PM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 21 June 2011 - 08:32 PM, said:

Absolutely, I agree. Better save some of that venom that you have been using on Green Lantern and use it on the pilot when it airs. LOL

My venom sacks are DRY after Green Lantern.... :lol: :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

#24 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:03 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 21 June 2011 - 11:46 PM, said:

My venom sacks are DRY after Green Lantern.... :lol: :P

Ha ha...something tells me, you have a reserve in there somewhere. I think you have some great insight, just I would phrase it more positively than you would. LOL. Talk to you later buddy.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#25 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 22 June 2011 - 10:19 AM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 22 June 2011 - 01:03 AM, said:

Ha ha...something tells me, you have a reserve in there somewhere. I think you have some great insight, just I would phrase it more positively than you would. LOL. Talk to you later buddy.

Someone has to act as the yang to your yin! :P

Might as well be a mean old toaster.... :cylon-pancarte03: :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#26 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:06 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 22 June 2011 - 10:19 AM, said:

Someone has to act as the yang to your yin! :P

Might as well be a mean old toaster.... :cylon-pancarte03: :lol:

That is true...I do need someone to be a Yang. So you are the perfect candidate.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#27 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 22 June 2011 - 01:57 PM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 22 June 2011 - 01:06 PM, said:

That is true...I do need someone to be a Yang. So you are the perfect candidate.

Uh... wait a second; was I just brilliantly insulted? :unsure: :lol:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#28 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 22 June 2011 - 02:45 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 22 June 2011 - 01:57 PM, said:

Uh... wait a second; was I just brilliantly insulted? :unsure: :lol:

Now would I do that to you? *CT starts whistling and looking up to the sky trying to act nonchalant.*
Posted Image

Second to None!

#29 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 22 June 2011 - 03:10 PM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 22 June 2011 - 02:45 PM, said:

Now would I do that to you? *CT starts whistling and looking up to the sky trying to act nonchalant.*

:P

You cheeky monkey, you! :D
Posted ImagePosted Image

#30 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 08:48 AM

Trust me, as someone who's done a lot of this, these networks do not listen to fan input. And honestly, to a certain extent, that's a good thing. We're far too fractious, and not all of our ideas are good. That doesn't mean they shouldn't take a hint when the vast majority of the fanbase agrees on something (*cough* Nice Cortez *cough*), but letting fans decide the overall direction of a show is just never going to work.

#31 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 23 June 2011 - 12:14 PM

View Postensign edwards, on 23 June 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

Trust me, as someone who's done a lot of this, these networks do not listen to fan input. And honestly, to a certain extent, that's a good thing. We're far too fractious, and not all of our ideas are good. That doesn't mean they shouldn't take a hint when the vast majority of the fanbase agrees on something (*cough* Nice Cortez *cough*), but letting fans decide the overall direction of a show is just never going to work.

Reminds me of what Nicholas Meyer said about fans dictating the direction of the Star Trek movie franchise (this was in 1982, when fans were in an uproar over killing off Spock); "I don't think that a bunch of people can say, 'I think this should happen' because then you get a movie that looks like something stamped on office furniture."

He also said (on the same topic), "It's like the guy who crossed an Idaho potato with a sponge; tasted horrible, but it sure held a lot of gravy!" :lol:

I admit, we BSG fans can be a very vocal lot; and a passionate one as well. The producers would be well-served to listen a little bit (read fan forums; get an overall feel of the mood and hunger level), but if they really feel an instinct is good (like say, making Starbuck female) then they have to listen to their gut. It's just that from what I've seen and read, they aren't really approaching B&C from a creative place; with green screen sets, a seemingly miscast Adama, Cylon snowsnakes, and a bunch of other discontinuous stuff, it feels like they're making a cheap knock off that's greedily trying to cash in on lingering fan sentiment. If that's where it's coming from?
I'd rather that they not even try.

But to be fair, I'd like to see the pilot they've already shot before I decide for myself whether it's something that I feel is worthy to the BSG legacy (and sadly, most of Caprica did not feel like a legitimate heir to BSG, IMO; although those final five episodes REALLY turned things around... it's as though the producer's creative juices really began flowing once there was a fire lit under their a$$es).
Posted ImagePosted Image

#32 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:39 PM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 22 June 2011 - 03:10 PM, said:

:P

You cheeky monkey, you! :D

I am a cheeky monkey! woo hoo! Sorry buddy! :hug:
Posted Image

Second to None!

#33 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 23 June 2011 - 01:43 PM

View Postensign edwards, on 23 June 2011 - 08:48 AM, said:

It is not so much giving the fans overall direction of the show but their reaction to the show is vital. If it is overall negative, then the network either has to change direction or cancel the show. They want to make money off of this while they still can. I think they are missing out on so many opportunities to hit on interesting stories that if they had input from fans that were intelligently written, then they will listen.
But you won't know unless you try.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#34 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 23 June 2011 - 07:51 PM

"Fans" ... is that too many cooks in the kitchen as it were? You can't please them all. Some classic BSG fans HATE nuBSG, even though, some (like 4 or maybe 5 people :P) think the show is good!

How should production companies listen to fans? Facebook? Polls? Seek out a fan base (such as GBBS.com) or ?????
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."
Posted Image

#35 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog

Posted 24 June 2011 - 09:30 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 23 June 2011 - 07:51 PM, said:

"Fans" ... is that too many cooks in the kitchen as it were? You can't please them all. Some classic BSG fans HATE nuBSG, even though, some (like 4 or maybe 5 people :P) think the show is good!

How should production companies listen to fans? Facebook? Polls? Seek out a fan base (such as GBBS.com) or ?????

Well said.
Posted Image

Second to None!

#36 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2014 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad

Posted 25 June 2011 - 12:05 AM

Anyone else just not feeling this? I hope it is good but to be honest, my thoughts have dwindled in past months.
Posted Image

#37 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 25 June 2011 - 08:32 AM

View Postdsgtdave, on 25 June 2011 - 12:05 AM, said:

Anyone else just not feeling this? I hope it is good but to be honest, my thoughts have dwindled in past months.

To be honest? I'm lukewarm for this one as well. Nothing I see so far excites me. If it succeeds (artistically and in ratings)? Great. If it fails? It'd just reaffirm my concern that it was ill-conceived in the first place. You're not alone, Dave. I love BSG, but that story's been told frankly. And in terms of yet another BSG prequel? Well, after the dismal failure of Caprica (which only got interesting by the endgame) let's just say my heart's not beating any faster for this one...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#38 User is offline   dsgtdave Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:2014 - The Walking Dead, Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad

Posted 25 June 2011 - 09:03 AM

Ya. I hit a plateau after Caprica when I did a season 4 remake and got seriously burned out. Burned out to the point where I didn't even think about it in any form. Couple that with zero news on B&C and I just don't care at this point. :cylon-pancarte04:
Posted Image

Share this topic:

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.