GalacticaBBS: New Klingons - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

New Klingons

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:18 PM

Posted Image

Filming on Star Trek: Discovery is currently underway and, this being the age of the Internet, it didn't take long before a set pic started to make its merry way online. What's even more exciting about that pic is that this could very well be our first look at the redesigned Klingons. Qapla'!

Snapped by an extra on the Toronto set of the upcoming CBS All Access series, the leaked image appears to reveal the show's new take on the classic Star Trek antagonists. The image was first posted on social media before it was quickly taken down ... but it was too little, too late. Thankfully for us!

As you can see above, the costumes are the same ones that were shown in the Star Trek: Discovery teaser. The most notable new flourish (if these are indeed Klingons) is the skull -- gone is the hair, and instead we get slightly elongated (and very bald) craniums on about half of them (which is -- in Data's immortal words -- intriguing).

As you can see, the ridges are also much more pronounced and go all the way to the back ... so if they really are Klingons, they look much closer to their Star Trek: Into Darkness counterparts than the Klingons we all came to know and love, starting with Star Trek: The Motion Picture. Personally I'm not really a fan of this redesigned look but that's probably because I liked my Klingons just the way they were. How about you?

Source: Blastr

#2 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 02:22 PM

Looks like a spin on the Bad Robot Klingons. I'm not opposed to the characters evolving, they've had numerous looks since the beginning.

#3 User is offline   I Voted Baltar Icon

• Were I unwed, I would take you in a manly fashion
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Me, beer and Grace Park.

Posted 13 February 2017 - 03:26 PM

I'm intrigued. Chieffo and Obi would look absolutely bad ass in this makeup. But I'm assuming we'll have some hair somewhere.

Whats got my attention (after first seeing it, took me a bit to notice!) was that on the left we have a gold/shiny uniform and in the background a red version. Some have suggested it could be a Starfleet dress; but the cut is too close to the Klingons.

Either way - I'm all for a new look. Klingons had a stock image from TMP through DS9 and Voyager without much variation in their armour. I'll assume there's more sophistication in make up to make this easier to apply (assume - OT will know better!) and honestly.... gimmie all the new!
Posted Image
James St James | Serious stuff. Sexy spandex.

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 13 February 2017 - 09:01 PM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 13 February 2017 - 02:22 PM, said:

Looks like a spin on the Bad Robot Klingons. I'm not opposed to the characters evolving, they've had numerous looks since the beginning.

^
Me, too. This. 100%.
Just as I had no problems with the 1979 Klingons of TMP suddenly having dead lobsters atop their heads.
The art of makeup has advanced considerably since 1979, and this new series will reflect that evolution (just as the Klingons of STID did as well). How (or if) they'll be retconned into the show doesn't interest me too much; if they explain it? Fine. If they don't explain it? Equally fine. I'm more concerned about good stories and getting back some of that old ST feeling than I am Klingon Kosmetics.

I accept that this show, DSC, is going to be an(other) alternate reality anyway, mainly because they're NOT going to do a look that predates "The Cage"; that would be ridiculous and laughed off of the screen. I also accept that the uniforms, technology and yes, even established aliens are going to get a major update because this is both a prequel and a new show. They're not going to have Fu Manchu Klingons and tabulating push button computers from 1966.

DSC has two masters to serve (new audience and the faithful) and I'm OK with that.

#5 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 14 February 2017 - 02:41 AM

With better prosthetics available, we can have aliens who look truly alien, even when played by actors. Fully realized CGI characters should become more common even on TV in the next ten years too.
Posted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.