GalacticaBBS: Bryan Singer’s ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Gets Airborne With John Orloff Scripting Deal - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bryan Singer’s ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Gets Airborne With John Orloff Scripting Deal

#1 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:28 PM

Bryan Singer’s ‘Battlestar Galactica’ Gets Airborne With John Orloff Scripting Deal
By MIKE FLEMING | Thursday October 20, 2011 @ 3:35pm EDTTags: Battlestar Galactica, Bryan Singer, Glen Larson, John Orloff, Universal PicturesCOMMENTS (6)Posted ImagePosted ImageEXCLUSIVE: Universal Pictures is closing a deal with John Orloff to writeBattlestar Galactica, a feature based on the Glen Larson 1978 TV series that Bryan Singer has long wanted to direct. Orloff seems equally pumped. What is it about Battlestar Galactica that turns grown men into exuberant kids?

“I have wanted to write this movie since I was 12 years old, and built a Galactica model from scratch out of balsa wood, cardboard, old model parts and LEDs,” Orloff told Deadline. “I love BSG, and I would pass on the job rather than frak it up.”

Deal comes after Orloff scripted and exec produced Anonymous, the Roland Emmerich-directed film that Sony Pictures will platform, a drama that takes the position Shakespeare didn’t really write his great works. Orloff also scriptedLegend of the Guardians: The Owls of Ga’Hoole and the Angelina Jolie-starrer A Mighty Heart, and was Emmy nominated for HBO’s Band of Brothers mini. He’s also attached to write Truckers for DreamWorks Animation. He’s repped by CAA.

This finally gets off the ground a movie that Singer has been interested in doing for at least a decade. The fanboy sites have been going warp speed with excitement after Singer indicated that Battlestar Galactica was squarely in his future once Warner Bros killed his Excalibur remake (Deadline told you during the summer Singer’s project and another King Arthur movie Guy Ritchie developed with John Hodge were over when Warner Bros paid $2 million for David Dobkin’sArthur & Lancelot spec). With Orloff in the fold, Battlestar Galactica can now make progress. Singer tends to wait until these projects are just right, so it remains to be seen how quickly this one goes into production. But getting an A-list writer is surely a good sign. Singer’s currently directing Jack the Giant Killer, the dark revisionist fairy tale for New Line.

The original Battlestar Galactica focused on the last of a space traveling group of humans who survived a lethal surprise attack and, in one remaining warship and a ragtag group of ships, tries to navigate their way to Earth. The series was remade in 2004. Both had a big fan base.

Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:46 PM

Again??? :huh:

I have absolutely ZERO faith in Bryan Singer's ability to deliver a BSG movie (and frankly, I don't want one either; not so soon after NuBSG).
He's made all of this song and dance before; it even got to the set construction and casting stages once (back in 2001). And so what happened? X-Men 2 came along... :nonono:
Singer is too fickle. Some shiny new project will come along and he'll be distracted YET again. I've said this before; I'll believe this one when I see it in a theatre.
And (not trying to be too negative, but) seriously? Other than us, how big an audience do we really think this will have?? I mean, it's not as if NuBSG and Caprica were ratings powerhouses. And we won't even discuss the so-cold-it's-practically-dead "Blood & Chrome." Where do they think the audience is for this project?

Make no mistake; I LOVE BSG, passionately. NuBSG is my favorite TV show of ALL time (displacing classic Star Trek, Twilight Zone and The Prisoner to get to that spot).
But I'm realistic as well. BSG is too niche, too narrow an audience for the big screen. The TOS BSG pilot movie (which was released in theatres in 1978-9; I remember as I saw it multiple times) was riding on Star Wars' coattails. The Singer BSG movie will not even have that advantage (as space operas overall have been rapidly diminishing on movie horizons lately; even the remake of TOTAL RECALL is cutting out all of the "get your a$$ to Mars" stuff). So again, even IF this gets made (and that's one hell of an IF with Singer), it won't do very well sadly. Remember the lesson of "Serenity?" Everybody thought the 'loyal' browncoats of "Firefly" would fill the theatres? They didn't. Most went to the million free screenings Joss Whedon held or (being tech savvy) streamed it illegally online. "Serenity" didn't succeed. Neither will this. "Serenity" was a good little movie, but it's soul belonged to the small screen (as does BSG's).
:cylonnono:

PS: As for the screenwriter, Orloff? Ten cubits says he'll make the Dreamworks animated movie first...
Posted ImagePosted Image

#3 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:53 PM

It's getting made.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#4 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 20 October 2011 - 04:55 PM

View PostAphrodite, on 20 October 2011 - 04:53 PM, said:

It's getting made.

I'll believe it when it's in the multiplex. ;)

Sorry to be such a grouchy old fart on this ( :doh: ), but I've heard this tap dance from the Singer/Larson teams waaayyy too often....

Posted Image << my approximate mood whenever Singer talks of BSG again. :P
Posted ImagePosted Image

#5 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:37 PM

^ I thought was how you look when you think of your neighbor dogs?
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."ť
Posted Image

#6 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 20 October 2011 - 08:39 PM

On the remake... *FINGERS CROSSED*
"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."ť
Posted Image

#7 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 20 October 2011 - 10:06 PM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 20 October 2011 - 08:37 PM, said:

^ I thought was how you look when you think of your neighbor dogs?

No, that look is more like this...
Posted Image :D

Posted Image "Neighbor dogs, don't make me angry... you wouldn't like me when I'm angry."
Posted ImagePosted Image

#8 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 21 October 2011 - 12:18 AM

View PostCylon-Knight, on 20 October 2011 - 08:39 PM, said:

On the remake... *FINGERS CROSSED*

I still think it's too soon from the ending of NuBSG to attempt this and I really think the audience for this movie will be way too small (the ratings of both BSG and Caprica bear this out). Even if by some miracle, Singer is not lured away (again) and actually completes this movie? It has little hope (for the reasons given) of being a big box office hit. What also concerns me is that it's probable failure could only hurt BSG's carefully rebuilt image from 1970s' Star Wars-styled 'ripoff' (for many) to a cutting edge, controversial, beautifully-realized critical darling it is now (Time magazine's show of the year... twice! A Peabody Award! WOW! Why frak with all of that???).

NuBSG showed what losing your homeland and traveling through space fighting desperate odds might actually BE like (on a powerful, epic, yet human scale). TOS BSG was a simple family entertainment made for a different era (and I loved it when I was a kid, but let's be honest; it doesn't hold a candle to the new show; either in sophistication or in content). And if Singer is opting for yet ANOTHER reboot of the franchise, it'll only serve to create even MORE market confusion to the BSG label and muddy the well water...

I know I've said this many times about the on-again/off-again Singer version, but every time it comes up I feel compelled (as a lifelong BSG fan) to say it yet again:
THIS IS A MISTAKE. :cylonnono:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#9 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 22 October 2011 - 07:11 AM

There is also the issue of what direction he's going to take. Is he going to try to reboot the 70's franchise or follow the NUBSG? Will he have Starbuck male or female?

#10 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 22 October 2011 - 08:17 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 22 October 2011 - 07:11 AM, said:

There is also the issue of what direction he's going to take. Is he going to try to reboot the 70's franchise or follow the NUBSG? Will he have Starbuck male or female?

I'm guessing (based on his previous attempts) that he will try to reboot the '70s original. It would also seem to make the most box office sense as the '70s version would be more 'family-friendly' for a mass audience. With that in mind, I'm guessing Starbuck will get his testes back...

Assuming, of course, that it ever gets completed (of which I'm still doubtful and frankly not enthused, either; this reeks of bad idea)...
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.