GalacticaBBS: Government structure? - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Government structure? Prime Ministerā€¦ and a President?

#1 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• THE ONE TRUE CYLON MOD!
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:35 PM

In the Caprica pilot clip #4 - They mention the government of Caprica and then the Prime Minister. I thought that there was a President of the Colonies?

Hearing them say Prime Minister (when we KNOW there is a President as well) makes me think that maybe the government structure is more complex/layered that I thought.

My guess is maybe each colony has a Prime Minister that runs the Colony. They either work with the Quorum of the 12 representative or ARE the quorum member? Then they all report to the President.

?

"All base ships are now in range to attack the colonies."¯
Posted Image

#2 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 05 April 2009 - 11:43 PM

I would think that the Prime Minister is the head of the colony (more like a governor than a PM or Pres of a country), a Quorum member is your representative for your colony, like our Senators (even though most don't do anything), and of course, the President of the Colonies is just that.
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#3 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Working on my own classic Cylon costume (see personal photo). Interested in costuming, props, Battlestar Galactica, Knight Rider, Star Trek... most SciFi.

Posted 06 April 2009 - 12:08 AM

Yeah, it just seems odd to have a section of government above the planetary level. heehee - silly reality! I guess I have to thing of the Colonies as more of states that are planet sized.
Posted Image

#4 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 06 April 2009 - 01:21 AM

Finland has both a Prime Minister and a President. The former is usually but not always the speaker of the party which has the majority in government (although thanks to our proportional representation most governments are coalitions) while the President is directly elected by the people. France has a somewhat similar system.

It will be interesting to see if the colonies are more similar to a federal republic of states such as the US and Germany, or whether it's more similar to the EU, which is a union of interdependent, but independent nations, i.e. how much independent power the colonies can exercise.
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Spartanz1170v2 Icon

• Callsign - Darkbright
  • Group: Members

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:57 AM

Keep in mind that the 12 Colonies were not united until the 1st Cylon war, and unlike the 12 colonies was a democractic state, the Government of Caprica sounds more like parliment to me.

#6 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 05:21 PM

I think that as noted above, that since the colonies ONLY united during the Cylon War, there was no president of the colonies. That may have been a post-war change in the government. I imagine there was still a Quorum (rather like the UN), with its elected representatives; thus each colony has a prime minister or its equivalent, as well as a Quorum representative. I have a feeling that the government of Caprica (pre-war) will have some subtle or not-so-subtle changes from the Caprica we know from BSG.

Should be fascinating. cylonclap.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#7 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 14 April 2009 - 06:58 PM

*sigh* An Empire is so much easier, isn't it obsolete toaster? cylonanime01.gif
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   Aphrodite Icon

• Callsign - Aphrodite - Global Moderator
  • View blog
  • Interests:Star Wars, BG, Babylon 5, Supernatural, Doctor Who, Torchwood

Posted 14 April 2009 - 07:19 PM

QUOTE (Cylon-Knight @ Apr 14 2009, 04:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

No it is not!!!!!!!
Posted Image
Siggy by p0is0n0us
SenGaeriel's Twitter

#9 User is offline   Cylon-Knight Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 14 April 2009 - 10:07 PM

Well, the Imperious Leader says so... and everyone agrees, except that one Centurion... the one over there *points* - in the corner smoking and sparking with the little bit of fire where the laser hit. He didn't agree the Empire was better. rolleyes.gif
Posted Image

#10 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 14 April 2009 - 11:31 PM

QUOTE (Cylon-Knight @ Apr 14 2009, 11:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

By your command, my friend! By your command.... cylonclap.gif
Posted ImagePosted Image

#11 User is offline   ensign edwards Icon

• Cylon symapthizer, Callsign - Archer
  • Interests:Sci-fi, fantasy, writing, reading, archery, nature, Canadian indie music (now there's an obscure taste for you), the Warcraft and Starcraft universes.

Posted 15 April 2009 - 10:23 AM

I think that as noted above, that since the colonies ONLY united during the Cylon War, there was no president of the colonies. That may have been a post-war change in the government. I imagine there was still a Quorum (rather like the UN), with its elected representatives; thus each colony has a prime minister or its equivalent, as well as a Quorum representative. I have a feeling that the government of Caprica (pre-war) will have some subtle or not-so-subtle changes from the Caprica we know from BSG.

Should be fascinating. cylonclap.gif

Do we actually know that they didn't unite until the war? It's been a theory for a long time, but I don't remember it ever being confirmed.

#12 User is offline   Kmpr´rak Icon

• Junior Lieutenant
  • Interests:Sci-Fi, Computer, Graphic design

Posted 13 May 2010 - 11:48 AM

During Caprica (around 21296) the colonies are not united, so every colony has its own government in its unique form. Later there is a Colonial Government, but I think every colony still has its own government, led by a Governor. :cylon-pancarte02:

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.