GalacticaBBS: Sony to Offer 'Clean Versions' of Movies for Home Release, Prompts Criticism From Seth Rogen - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Sony to Offer 'Clean Versions' of Movies for Home Release, Prompts Criticism From Seth Rogen

#1 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:51 AM

Sony Pictures has announced it will begin releasing "clean versions" of its movies on select digital marketplaces.

Now, when you purchase certain Sony films on iTunes, Vudu, or FandangoNOW, it'll include the broadcast TV (or "clean") version at no cost. According to The Hollywood Reporter, the new initiative launches with 24 movies, including the Spider-Man franchise, Step Brothers, Talladega Nights: The Ballad of Ricky Bobby, Big Daddy, 50 First Dates, Captain Phillips, and more.

The announcement immediately drew criticism from Seth Rogen, who's created several movies for Sony including Sausage Party and The Interview. Upon reading the news, the actor-filmmaker tweeted, "Holy s**t please don't do this to our movies. Thanks."

In promoting the program, Sony home entertainment group explained the reasoning for its creation: "The Clean Version allows viewing for a wider audience, giving people the chance to watch their favorite films together. Films of all ratings can be adapted as Clean Versions; however, the extent of such adaptation can vary."

On the theatrical front, Sony is continuing to bolster its superhero cinematic output. Spider-Man: Homecoming will release on July 7, while the studio is also spinning out its own Marvel Universe independent of Homecoming, which currently ties into Marvel Studios' Marvel Cinematic Universe. These efforts include a Venom movie starring Tom Hardy in the title role, as well as a Silver Sable and Black Cat film, which recently found its director.

Source: IGN

#2 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 08 June 2017 - 04:57 AM

I don't see what the problem is as long as your can get the original version. Movies like Sausage Party cannot be cleaned up because the whole movie is filth but releasing other movies trimming out bits of swearing is hardly going to wreck the movie. In the UK they crop movies and overdub all the time, it's nothing new.

#3 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2017 - 05:50 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 08 June 2017 - 04:57 AM, said:

I don't see what the problem is as long as your can get the original version. Movies like Sausage Party cannot be cleaned up because the whole movie is filth but releasing other movies trimming out bits of swearing is hardly going to wreck the movie. In the UK they crop movies and overdub all the time, it's nothing new.

It starts a dangerous trend though.
Back in the 1950s, you had white artists do covers of increasingly popular 'black' songs to make them palatable for 'mainstream' (i.e. white) audiences (Pat Boone was guilty of a lot of these).
It's not so much removal of bad language that bothers me, it's the increasingly threatening specter of censorship; where does it stop? Maybe a character isn't as 'palatable' for home audiences? Maybe a woman's breasts are too big (this happened with Lindsay Lohan in "Herbie"; her breasts were digitally altered because they were deemed 'distracting' to young audiences), or maybe a storyline involving terrorists could be 'softened' to make them just thieves, etc. etc.

When I was a kid, I occasionally went to R-rated movies. And yes, I heard cursing, and even saw a boob or two. It didn't do me any harm, beyond increasing my worldview a bit and forcing me to realize that not everything in this world would be sanitized for my personal, 6-12 year old protection. In short, movies challenged me; they didn't pander to me. My parents made PLENTY of mistakes, I'll admit, but raising me in a layer of bubblewrap (fortunately) wasn't one of them.

And if it starts with cursing, where does it stop? Count me in with Seth Rogan on this one, I'm afraid...

#4 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 08 June 2017 - 10:17 AM

I'm not bothered by cursing as long as there's some context to it, but excessive violence, particularly sexual violence, does bother me. It's not something I'd want my 8 year old to see yet. Cursing for the sake of cursing, and not being able to get a sentence out without spicing it up with cusswords is just tiresome to me.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 June 2017 - 11:49 AM

View Postmaneth, on 08 June 2017 - 10:17 AM, said:

I'm not bothered by cursing as long as there's some context to it, but excessive violence, particularly sexual violence, does bother me. It's not something I'd want my 8 year old to see yet. Cursing for the sake of cursing, and not being able to get a sentence out without spicing it up with cusswords is just tiresome to me.

And yet violence goes almost completely unchecked. There's PG-rated stuff that has lots of violence, but it's okay. Someone drops an F-bomb and it gets an R-rating.
It's a very twisted morality. But to censor movies (IMO) takes away some of the responsibility of parents to do a little bit of parenting and be mindful of just what their little children are watching.

In other words, don't censor art for the sake of turning the family TV into an electronic babysitter.

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.