GalacticaBBS: Battlestar Galactica Vault - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Battlestar Galactica Vault A Complete History

#1 User is offline   Bill Icon

• TU Forum Manager - Callsign Defiant
  • Group: Members

Posted 27 June 2014 - 07:11 AM

This looks like a must have.

"JOURNEY BEHIND THE SCENES WITH THE SERIES' CREATORS. For over thirty years, science-fiction fans have been enthralled by Battlestar Galactica and the captivating saga of humanity's war with the chilling Cylons. From its innovative special effects to its controversial storylines, the franchise has fascinated generations of viewers. Now, drawing on unique insights from the original producer, Glen A. Larson, and exclusive interviews with David Eick and Ronald D. Moore - creators of the series' acclaimed reimagining - Battlestar Galactica Vault offers a complete visual history of the show's evolution, from 1978's 'Saga of a Star World' to spin-offs Caprica and Blood & Chrome. Featured herein are concept artwork by legendary artist Ralph McQuarrie, annotated scripts and storyboards, candid behind-the-scenes photography, and ten meticulously reproduced pieces of memorabilia for readers to remove and examine. Stunningly illustrated and fully authorised, Battlestar Galactica Vault is the ultimate celebration of a series that changed TV sci-fi forever." Pre-Order at AMAZON
www.trekunited.com

#2 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 27 June 2014 - 10:05 AM

View PostBill, on 27 June 2014 - 07:11 AM, said:

This looks like a must have.

"JOURNEY BEHIND THE SCENES WITH THE SERIES' CREATORS. For over thirty years, science-fiction fans have been enthralled by Battlestar Galactica and the captivating saga of humanity's war with the chilling Cylons. From its innovative special effects to its controversial storylines, the franchise has fascinated generations of viewers. Now, drawing on unique insights from the original producer, Glen A. Larson, and exclusive interviews with David Eick and Ronald D. Moore - creators of the series' acclaimed reimagining - Battlestar Galactica Vault offers a complete visual history of the show's evolution, from 1978's 'Saga of a Star World' to spin-offs Caprica and Blood & Chrome. Featured herein are concept artwork by legendary artist Ralph McQuarrie, annotated scripts and storyboards, candid behind-the-scenes photography, and ten meticulously reproduced pieces of memorabilia for readers to remove and examine. Stunningly illustrated and fully authorised, Battlestar Galactica Vault is the ultimate celebration of a series that changed TV sci-fi forever." Pre-Order at AMAZON

OMG!!!!

I want this so badly it frakking hurts. Come on, October 24th... hurry up and get here. :cylonclap:

#3 User is offline   Electricbolt Icon

• GBBS Admin & News Contributor - Callsign Survivor
  • View blog
  • Group: Forum Admins

Posted 27 June 2014 - 01:00 PM

Added this to my wishlist to remind myself to get it!
Posted Image
Latest Review: BSG: Six #1

#4 User is offline   Pam Icon

• Petty Officer 1st Class
  • Interests:Writing, reading, good sci-fi (like BSG!), fantasy, classic literature, classical music, jazz, blues, old school R&B, crocheting, cooking, art, good time but quiet fun.

Posted 27 June 2014 - 02:04 PM

I headed to Amazon a few centons ago. I'll let ya'll know when I get it. :thumbsup:/>
Posted Image

#5 User is offline   Bill Icon

Posted 28 June 2014 - 06:48 AM

I pre-ordered right after I posted. REALLY looking forward to getting this one!
www.trekunited.com

#6 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 29 June 2014 - 09:07 AM

View PostBill, on 28 June 2014 - 06:48 AM, said:

I pre-ordered right after I posted. REALLY looking forward to getting this one!

I want to hold this one in my hands before I buy it (I'm weird that way; I still love bookstores). I might just wait for it to surface at my local booksellers this fall... if I don't explode first. :clap:

#7 User is offline   Bill Icon

Posted 31 October 2014 - 06:42 AM

That was a good idea OT, my pre-order was cancelled this week by Amazon and they suggested I try regular retailers.

I always thought the point of pre-ordering was to get something new before everyone else. I'm a bit annoyed.
I have a few bookstores nearby and I'll give them a try before I go searching online for a copy.
www.trekunited.com

#8 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 31 October 2014 - 07:18 AM

Bill, thank you for refreshing this topic. I almost forgot about it. :argh:

I need to get to a Barnes and Noble... stat!

Posted Image

#9 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 02 November 2014 - 08:26 AM

Picked mine up last night (bless you, Barnes and Noble).

Posted ImagePosted Image

I've just gotten into it, but I love that it's a COMPLETE view of the show; not just new BSG, but classic as well. The opening section discusses Glen Larson's late '60s concept of "Adam's Ark" which eventually evolved into the more 'Star Wars'-friendly "Battlestar Galactica" (though I'd stop short of calling BSG a Star Wars ripoff; it is no more a ripoff of Star Wars than "Unforgiven" is a ripoff of "Shane"... but SW definitely inspired BSG, no question).

First off, I love the dual-hardback/gatefold cover of the book; you open it and the cover changes from new BSG to classic BSG. Very cool. And there are two packets inside each end of the book with collector memorabilia/reproductions from the shows. From new BSG cubits and storyboards and on-set photos to unused sections of the "Saga of a Star World" script (which still refer to Apollo as "Skyler").

In short? It's the book we BSG fans have been waiting for all of these many yahrens... get thee to a bookseller, or onto Amazon, ASAP! :adama-pancarte001:

#10 User is offline   Bill Icon

Posted 03 November 2014 - 07:18 AM

Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some time to hit B+N.
I know a few people involved with this book that were a bit disappointed by not enough original series stuff.
Reality is more fans of new Galatica, with just the oldtimers remembering the Original.
www.trekunited.com

#11 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 03 November 2014 - 08:07 AM

View PostBill, on 03 November 2014 - 07:18 AM, said:

Hopefully by the end of the week I'll have some time to hit B+N.
I know a few people involved with this book that were a bit disappointed by not enough original series stuff.
Reality is more fans of new Galatica, with just the oldtimers remembering the Original.

Just finished it last night and I have mixed emotions now.
All of the pics, illustrations and behind-the-scenes photos (esp. the 'swag' in the inside pockets of each cover) are great. Some of them I've never seen before. The prop replicas included are terrific little collectibles (such as the new BSG cubits, or the 'corners-cut' report, or the TOS BSG set photos). None of it is particularly useful (can't really use any of it in a BSG cosplay, for example) but it's nice.

However, if you're looking for an in-depth, DEFINITIVE examination of the entire BSG saga? This is not it, I'm afraid.

The only substantial information on TOS BSG is in the form of religious/social subtext. There are almost NO behind-the-scenes anecdotes for the original show AT ALL. No new interviews; not even from Hatch or Jefferson (both of whom I'm sure would've loved to have been interviewed for this book). And absolutely NOTHING on Galactica: 1980, save for 2 quick mentions in two paragraphs of the entire book (!) and a photo of a flying turbike puppet used in the FX. It doesn't even warrant a chapter! Granted G:1980 wasn't exactly the highpoint of BSG's history, but it was the first BSG to feature humanoid Cylons (a budget saver for G1980 that became a saving grace on new BSG), and it also had the terrific episode, "Return of Starbuck" (which gets NO mention anywhere in the book! Not even in the chapter about the show's theology!). For me, a 'definitive' vault of the show should examine ALL of the show; the good, the bad and even the ugly. Even G:1980.

The examination of the show's Mormon and Hebrew influences are almost BSG 101.
Nothing new to a diehard fan, and downright pedestrian to be honest. In fact, I've read and participated in far more in-depth and intelligent analysis of the show right here in this forum (!).
And while there is a lot of material about the new show, much of it I've read and heard elsewhere (the New BSG S1-4 Companion books, for example); and in more depth.

All I can say is that the definitive BSG chronology is still out there waiting to be written.
This book, sadly, is NOT it folks...

For the books' style, covers, photos and swag? I give it an 8.

For the book's actual content? I give it a (generous) 4.
The lack of any new TOS interviews (and near total omission of G:1980) is just lazy journalism.

I guess overall I'd give it six :cylonclap: :cylonclap: :cylonclap: :cylonclap: :cylonclap: :cylonclap: out of ten :cylonclap: .

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.