GalacticaBBS: Star Trek Vegas Convention 2017 - GalacticaBBS

Page 1 of 1

Star Trek Vegas Convention 2017

#1 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog
  • Group: Members

Posted 08 August 2017 - 11:43 PM

My blog entry I wrote in the middle of the convention (sorry, no pics on that one):

https://musingsofami...n-days-1-and-2/

And my big, bright, photo-filled blog on the whole thing... :D

https://musingsofami...wrap-up-of-con/

For those who want to skip the reading and go straight to the photos? Hereís my Flickr album; 460 pics (!!!) and one short video:

https://www.flickr.c...157687223158206

Enjoy!

#2 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 09 August 2017 - 02:24 AM

Loved your blog posts on the con, I'll take a look at the album later. STC tonight!
Posted Image
Posted Image

#3 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:05 AM

View Postmaneth, on 09 August 2017 - 02:24 AM, said:

Loved your blog posts on the con, I'll take a look at the album later. STC tonight!

Thanks maneth.
Sorry I couldn't attach photos to the first one, but I literally had to bang that one out on my iPhone (my iPad kept collapsing my site and reloading it...it was maddening). But the 2nd entry has some of the visuals I wish I could've put into the first one, at least.

#4 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• Custom Graphics Designer
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:19 AM

Great pix as always OT. Looks like there was a good amount of cast members and production team there!

"Tall Spock" as I call him was at Boston last year in the classic blue outfit. I wonder if he'll be in Boston this weekend.

#5 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 09 August 2017 - 07:35 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 09 August 2017 - 07:19 AM, said:

Great pix as always OT. Looks like there was a good amount of cast members and production team there!

"Tall Spock" as I call him was at Boston last year in the classic blue outfit. I wonder if he'll be in Boston this weekend.

Thanks P.
And yes, Iíve seen him everywhere. He was even signing autographs (!) at WonderCon in Anaheim last April.
No offense to cosplayers as I am one myself, but why anyone would want a cosplayerís autograph (let alone pay for it) is kinda beyond me...

#6 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Photoshop, Photography, Gaming, Cooking, Scifi, Reading, Movies.....all the usual stuff.

Posted 09 August 2017 - 08:30 AM

I think he was charging $10 to have a picture with him as well. As cool as he looks I'm not paying $10 for a fan cosplay picture.

#7 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 09 August 2017 - 10:23 PM

Well, it's a buyer's market, so if someone's willing to pay for it? But it seems silly as I suspect most cosplayers would be happy to pose for a picture if you ask nicely at the right time, as in don't interrupt if they're talking to someone else and don't use it as an excuse to look down the corsage of a skimpily dressed girl or worse, feel her up. (Or a guy for that matter.) Let's face it, cosplayers are dressing up to get noticed, and as long as the attention is flattering rather than lewd, it should be okay. People who aren't okay with it shouldn't cosplay.
Posted Image
Posted Image

#8 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 10 August 2017 - 06:06 AM

View Postmaneth, on 09 August 2017 - 10:23 PM, said:

Well, it's a buyer's market, so if someone's willing to pay for it? But it seems silly as I suspect most cosplayers would be happy to pose for a picture if you ask nicely at the right time, as in don't interrupt if they're talking to someone else and don't use it as an excuse to look down the corsage of a skimpily dressed girl or worse, feel her up. (Or a guy for that matter.) Let's face it, cosplayers are dressing up to get noticed, and as long as the attention is flattering rather than lewd, it should be okay. People who aren't okay with it shouldn't cosplay.

All of this.
As a cosplayer myself, it would be anathema for me to ask for money for a pic, but if someone did cosplay as their paid gig (and there are many professional cosplayers whoíve become mini-celebrities in their own right), then thatís their business. But I would feel really wrong asking money each time someone wanted to take a pic with me. It would sully it for me, somehow. Like turning to your lover after sex and asking them to leave the money on the dresser... :lol:

There is also the Ďdark sideí to cosplay; not so much at the Vegas con (ironic, as Vegas is a town known as Ďsin cityí :lol:), but Iíve seen it in action at Comic Con. In fact, my wife once reported a guy she saw taking up-skirt pics of girls who were unaware of what he was doing. Thereís nothing wrong with enjoying/appreciating a beautiful body (of either gender) but that person should be aware that their picture is being taken at the very least. If theyíre part of a large crowd shot, then thatís unavoidable (cosplay is part of the local scenery), but if youíre taking a closeup of them? They should (at the very least) see you doing it.

I always ask; thatís just my thing.
The only times I donít is when/if the cosplayer(s) pose in a group shot or at a designated photo op, when there is a crowd of photographers all shooting the same subject. I donít want to embarrass anyone by photographing them bending over or if they have a 'wardrobe malfunction.í That is both deeply sleazy and VERY uncool. :thumbsdown:

#9 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 10 August 2017 - 09:41 PM

A really good Ďfirst personí video of the convention I found on YouTube:

And I found this picture on the official ST convention FB page (open even to non-FB members, like me):

Posted Image

#10 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 10 August 2017 - 11:10 PM

And another, from the same source (ST Convention FB page):

Posted Image

#11 User is offline   p0is0n0us Icon

• View blog
  • View gallery

Posted 11 August 2017 - 05:09 AM

That's great!

#12 User is offline   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 11 August 2017 - 07:42 AM

View Postp0is0n0us, on 11 August 2017 - 05:09 AM, said:

That's great!

Thanks P.
My eyes look red; canít tell if itís the camera or if it was the fact that I was a bit sleep-deprived... :lol:

#13 User is offline   maneth Icon

Posted 11 August 2017 - 09:45 PM

Great pix!
Posted Image
Posted Image

Share this topic:

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2016. All Rights Reserved -
- GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by Comcast/NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.