GalacticaBBS: What good deed did you do today? - GalacticaBBS

• 17 Pages +
  • « First

What good deed did you do today? Tell us about your good deeds for the day.

#321 User is offline   Captain Taurus Icon

• Callsign - Bull
  • View blog
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Advertising and Marketing, nightlife, reading, writing, designing, art, socializing with hot babes, sports, working out, and spending time with my family.

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:01 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 25 December 2014 - 12:20 AM, said:

That's wonderful. :)/>

Thanks buddy
Posted Image

Second to None!

#322 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 25 December 2014 - 12:08 PM

View PostCaptain Taurus, on 24 December 2014 - 10:01 PM, said:

Raised 30 toys for underprivileged children for Christmas! So proud of my company for allowing me to do this! Makes me feel good about what I have done for those who are less privileged than myself.

Good for you!
Posted Image

#323 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 25 December 2014 - 01:51 PM

View Postmaneth, on 25 December 2014 - 12:08 PM, said:

Good for you!

I've always found that altruism is its own reward; despite negative nellies who insist we only do it to feel better about ourselves.
So what if we do? Then both we and others benefit; how is that possibly a bad thing, right? ;)
Posted ImagePosted Image

#324 User is offline   maneth Icon

• Global Moderator - Callsign Tiger
  • Group: Global Moderators
  • Interests:BSG, Stargate SG-1, SGA and SGU, Farscape, Star Trek, Babylon 5, Crusade, Andromeda, Firefly, Doctor Who...

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:11 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 25 December 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

I've always found that altruism is its own reward; despite negative nellies who insist we only do it to feel better about ourselves.
So what if we do? Then both we and others benefit; how is that possibly a bad thing, right? ;)/>

Absolutely. This is especially true of small things, and the reason why I always let gentlemen open the door for me, even though I'm perfectly capable of opening doors myself. If it makes him happy and costs me nothing except a smile of thanks...
Posted Image

#325 User is offline   Nanouk Icon

• Callsign - Ocean
  • View blog
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Wants to get married to Michelle Forbes

Posted 26 December 2014 - 07:16 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 25 December 2014 - 01:51 PM, said:

So what if we do? Then both we and others benefit; how is that possibly a bad thing, right? ;)/>

I agree, and I love a book that I have on this topic called 'What's it all about' from Jullian Baginni.

http://www.amazon.co...1IOFHPK?ie=UTF8

I can highly recommend this book its an easy and short read on philosophy and the meaning of life (and full of humor might I add)
Posted Image

#326 User is offline   Ravenshayde Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery
  • Interests:Geek, gamer, cosplayer. I say frak a lot.

Posted 26 December 2014 - 08:53 AM

On xmas eve, I gave a homeless man all my change who was sitting outside the train station. It was xmas eve and I could afford it, the wee soul. And it's incredibly presumptuous to assume every homeless person is an alcoholic or a drug addict.
Posted Image

#327 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:38 AM

View PostRavenshayde, on 26 December 2014 - 08:53 AM, said:

On xmas eve, I gave a homeless man all my change who was sitting outside the train station. It was xmas eve and I could afford it, the wee soul. And it's incredibly presumptuous to assume every homeless person is an alcoholic or a drug addict.

Charitable of you, my dear. So proud, I am. :hug:
Posted ImagePosted Image

#328 User is offline   Ravenshayde Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 26 December 2014 - 09:40 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 26 December 2014 - 09:38 AM, said:

Charitable of you, my dear. So proud, I am. :hug:/>

:D I felt really bad for him sitting there in the pouring rain on Xmas eve :(
Posted Image

#329 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:20 AM

View PostRavenshayde, on 26 December 2014 - 09:40 AM, said:

:D/> I felt really bad for him sitting there in the pouring rain on Xmas eve :(/>

And it's nice of you to not ask for their full life story (or abuse history) as I've seen others do; just because they're begging for money doesn't entitle a passerby pedestrian to give them the third degree, you know?
Many people tend to view the homeless as being less-than-human somehow; that really pisses me off. They're people who, for one reason or another (mental illness, personal tragedy, whatever) have just fallen on hard times. There's no need to judge or just assume (aloud, in some cases) that you're automatically feeding a drug/alcohol habit. And certainly no need to openly criticize them in front of their faces either (another disgusting thing I've seen people do).

If you've nothing to offer or give them? Just walk on by and don't openly judge them; they're still human, just as you are. Separated only by fate or circumstances.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#330 User is offline   Ravenshayde Icon

• Admiral
  • View gallery

Posted 26 December 2014 - 10:34 AM

View Postobsolete toaster, on 26 December 2014 - 10:20 AM, said:

And it's nice of you to not ask for their full life story (or abuse history) as I've seen others do; just because they're begging for money doesn't entitle a passerby pedestrian to give them the third degree, you know?
Many people tend to view the homeless as being less-than-human somehow; that really pisses me off. They're people who, for one reason or another (mental illness, personal tragedy, whatever) have just fallen on hard times. There's no need to judge or just assume (aloud, in some cases) that you're automatically feeding a drug/alcohol habit. And certainly no need to openly criticize them in front of their faces either (another disgusting thing I've seen people do).

If you've nothing to offer or give them? Just walk on by and don't openly judge them; they're still human, just as you are. Separated only by fate or circumstances.

Very well said! There are some photographers, one here in particular called Humans of Glasgow, who do stop to chat with them. It was very interesting to find out that one guy had actually went to a private school, highly educated and very intelligent. For some reason his Dad threw him out and that's how he ended up on the streets. He spends the change he's given on coffee and books.
Posted Image

#331 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2014 - 12:59 PM

View PostRavenshayde, on 26 December 2014 - 10:34 AM, said:

Very well said! There are some photographers, one here in particular called Humans of Glasgow, who do stop to chat with them. It was very interesting to find out that one guy had actually went to a private school, highly educated and very intelligent. For some reason his Dad threw him out and that's how he ended up on the streets. He spends the change he's given on coffee and books.

I met a homeless guy last year (and gave him $40) because his wife's cancer treatments broke his finances (why we NEED socialized medicine in my country), and he lost his home trying to pay for it all. He was a former engineer who fell on hard times (laid off due to budget cuts), and he was a very intelligent, articulate man. I looked into his eyes and very easily saw what could happen to any one of us, given enough bad luck.

People all too often assume the homeless are homeless because they're just a walking litany of bad habits and poor lifestyle choices, but that's just stereotyping.
Posted ImagePosted Image

#332 User is online   obsolete toaster Icon

• Callsign Red-Eye
  • View blog

Posted 26 December 2014 - 06:22 PM

Raven? You need to see this; kind of proves our point:

CNN/Homeless man gets money, gives to others.
Posted ImagePosted Image

Share this topic:

• 17 Pages +
  • « First

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

- Battlestar Galactica, Caprica and Blood & Chrome are registered trademarks of Universal Studios. Copyright ©2006 - 2012. All Rights Reserved -
- Galactica.com, GalacticaBBS.com and its subsidiary sites are in no way affiliated with Universal Studios or The SyFy Channel -
- The SyFy Channel & Syfy.com are owned and operated by NBC/Universal Television.-
Website and forum designed by Thomas Moore. Site and content created and owned by Thomas Moore and Zipper.